ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Andy Reid on Charles and Houston (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=301466)

Mr. Laz 08-12-2016 12:16 PM

Andy Reid on Charles and Houston

On Rich Eisen Show

Charles day-to-day can only work with training staff but looks really good doing what he's doing.

Positive vibes about Charles being ready to go soon imo

"Houston is going to take much longer than Charles because of when injury occurred."

"we hope to get him back this season" :eek:

I was shocked about how doubtful he sounded about Houston.

In58men 08-12-2016 12:18 PM

"We hope to get him back this season"

Trade him.

NWTF 08-12-2016 12:21 PM

At this point I think they hope he may be back towards the end of the season or playoffs. Its starting to feel like org isnt expecting him to be ready this year at all

Red Dawg 08-12-2016 12:24 PM

What did I say! Got my butt beat up for not going along with the week five crap around here.

Houston may not play at all. If he does December maybe the soonest and Dee Ford had better be a real asset or our pass rush is in deep trouble.

Easy 6 08-12-2016 12:27 PM

Falls right in line with the tone of Dorseys comments on Houston

RealSNR 08-12-2016 12:27 PM

**** Goodell for taking away our 3rd rounder. Could have used that to take Kyler Fackrell or somebody like that.

staylor26 08-12-2016 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 12364558)

Exactly. Nothing new here. I'd be shocked if he misses the entire season.

lcarus 08-12-2016 12:29 PM

God. For some reason I expected Charles to be 100% for season opener and Houston to be good pretty early in the season. Like week 4 or something. Shows what I know (nothing).

RunKC 08-12-2016 12:37 PM

Ahead of schedule on an injury that lasts 9 months at most nowadays and now worse news? Some setback had to have occurred.

Dorsey said yesterday that he'll have a better read on where Houston is in a few weeks when they look at him. We'll see where he's at at that point.

Red Dawg 08-12-2016 12:39 PM

Time for Von to have an acl tear.

NWTF 08-12-2016 12:41 PM

Quote:

Yup. Exactly what I was thinking. I had thought maybe Dorsey was just erring on the side of caution, but they know more than we do and it sounds like they know he isnt going to be ready this year.

stevieray 08-12-2016 12:41 PM

I voted out for season.

He might never return to form

big paycheck..because Chiefs.

Easy 6 08-12-2016 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 12364565)

I'm of two minds on it...

1) either they're toying with everyone and they expect him back by, say, midseason at the very worst

or

2) their tone is meant exactly as it sounds, which isnt very positive at all... at this point I'm just hoping he is back for the playoff run

Meatloaf 08-12-2016 12:45 PM

If we see them picking up an OLB or two during preseason, I think that'd tell us that the news on Houston isn't good. If we pretty much stay as is, then I'd guess they're thinking Houston might be ready mid-year-ish? Gotta admit, it doesn't sound good.

In58men 08-12-2016 12:48 PM

ALL LIES

http://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-city...with-his-rehab

RunKC 08-12-2016 12:48 PM

I don't get wtf could be wrong here? It's an ACL tear. How on Earth could read for an ACL repair be more than 9 months nowadays?

Red Dawg 08-12-2016 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12364625)
I don't get wtf could be wrong here? It's an ACL tear. How on Earth could read for an ACL repair be more than 9 months nowadays?

It was more than that I think.

staylor26 08-12-2016 12:51 PM

Quote:

Everything about this entire situation has been ****ed. I have no clue what to think anymore.

Dorsey literally said "We've been assured by our doctors that he will play this season". What the **** happened since then? Houston hasn't posted on his Twitter or Instagram in a VERY long time.

Here's the thing though, we do know that he's been in St. Joe "doing work" with Hali and Charles. If there were a setback why would he be doing that?

Red Dawg 08-12-2016 12:57 PM

They may as well plan the season as if he will not play.

ToxSocks 08-12-2016 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckdaddy (Post 12364647)
They may as well plan the season as if he will not play.

Of course. Even if he returns he won't be up to speed. We're going to get zero contributions from Houston. And after almost 2 years of no football, what will we get when he finally does return?

O.city 08-12-2016 01:01 PM

Didn't sound that negative. I'm betting he's back mud to end october.

RunKC 08-12-2016 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 12364637)
Everything about this entire situation has been ****ed. I have no clue what to think anymore.

Dorsey literally said "We've been assured by our doctors that he will play this season". What the **** happened since then? Houston hasn't posted on his Twitter or Instagram in a VERY long time.

Here's the thing though, we do know that he's been in St. Joe "doing work" with Hali and Charles. If there were a setback why would he be doing that?

He's doing rehab with Tamba and Jamaal, who also had knee surgeries recently, so I wouldn't put too much stock into that.

I don't think the Chiefs are lying about Houston's injury. It would be too big of a PR hit if they did.

The most logical answer IMO is that he was ahead of schedule a few months ago and they thought they could get him back early in the year, but rehab for stage 2 of recovery hasn't gone as well as normal. Not that that's bad, but I think they backed off of their first statement bc he's most likely going to take 9 months and will return in November.

staylor26 08-12-2016 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12364655)
Didn't sound that negative. I'm betting he's back mud to end october.

Did you listen?

kccrow 08-12-2016 01:08 PM

Quote:

He didn't have surgery until February. 9 months puts him somewhere in November.

RunKC 08-12-2016 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 12364653)
Of course. Even if he returns he won't be up to speed. We're going to get zero contributions from Houston. And after almost 2 years of no football, what will we get when he finally does return?

Von Miller had double-digit sacks and Chris Harris Jr had a great year after they returned from acl surgery.

Dr. James Andrews did both of their ACL repairs as well as Houston's too. Why can't Houston bounce back like those players?

staylor26 08-12-2016 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 12364653)

Pure speculation that isn't consistent with recent history.

Red Dawg 08-12-2016 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 12364673)
He didn't have surgery until February. 9 months puts him somewhere in November.

He's missing 8 games. That will happen.

BlackOp 08-12-2016 01:15 PM

Houston will be back in December...I never thought they were going to rush him. It takes 9 months...

YayMike 08-12-2016 01:15 PM

Sign Greg Hardy....as an insurance policy. Perhaps he will take an incentive laden 1 year deal to set up for a big contract next season....

kccrow 08-12-2016 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckdaddy (Post 12364692)
He's missing 8 games. That will happen.

Absolutely.

In the big vote thread I voted he'd be back for the playoffs, and noted that would be a big maybe.

DaneMcCloud 08-12-2016 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meatloaf (Post 12364612)
If we see them picking up an OLB or two during preseason, I think that'd tell us that the news on Houston isn't good. If we pretty much stay as is, then I'd guess they're thinking Houston might be ready mid-year-ish? Gotta admit, it doesn't sound good.

There won't be a single edge rusher, other than maybe Greg Hardy, that will be better than what's on their roster.

As I've said before, if they thought that Houston was going to miss a significant portion of the season, why didn't they sign Dwight Freeney?

RunKC 08-12-2016 01:21 PM

If we wait the full 9 months, he'll return against the Bucs at home in week 11. Hopefully he stays ahead of schedule and starts getting a few snaps in week 9 at home vs the Jags.

ToxSocks 08-12-2016 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12364700)

As I've said before, if they thought that Houston was going to miss a significant portion of the season, why didn't they sign Dwight Freeney?

Because they re-signed Tamba Hali instead.

Kman34 08-12-2016 01:28 PM

Because it was a tear and not a full blown replacement.. I'm a little more optimistic he could be back by week 8.... I'm not a Dr but I did stay at a Holliday Express once...

Easy 6 08-12-2016 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12364700)
There won't be a single edge rusher, other than maybe Greg Hardy, that will be better than what's on their roster.

I'm guessing its like RunKC alluded to, back when they could've made that move it looked like Houston was well on track in his recovery

DaneMcCloud 08-12-2016 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 12364714)
Because they re-signed Tamba Hali instead.

Yeah but Freeney signed for $2 million in Atlanta recently.

Josh Mauga or Dwight Freeney?

NWTF 08-12-2016 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12364624)

It seems things were looking good back then so everyone jumped on the best case scenario return (6 months), but now that more time has passed its looking more like the average return (9 months) or later. Hes probably back in time for the last few games + playoffs.

DJ's left nut 08-12-2016 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YayMike (Post 12364695)
Sign Greg Hardy....as an insurance policy. Perhaps he will take an incentive laden 1 year deal to set up for a big contract next season....

Let's grab Rae Carruth to play alongside Tyreke Hill while we're at it.

**** me, some of you guys are quick to sell your souls...

Easy 6 08-12-2016 02:21 PM

Yeah no thanks to Hardy

If Ford cant produce reasonably, Sutton will just have to work harder to manufacture sacks and pressures from the line and secondary

Mr. Laz 08-12-2016 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 12364824)
Yeah no thanks to Hardy

If Ford cant produce reasonably, Sutton will just have to work harder to manufacture sacks and pressures from the line and secondary

Oh boy, Sutton will just as likely rush 4, drop everyone else into coverage and just cross his fingers.

sedated 08-12-2016 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12364624)

Lies is correct

http://www.chiefsdigest.com/chiefs-j...extended-knee/

Houston sustained the PCL injury Burkholder mentioned during the playoff game against the Indianapolis Colts, but the current injury isn’t considered as serious

"He’s in the middle of the rehab process, he’s doing well and he’ll be on a day-to-day basis as we go forward here."

DJ's left nut 08-12-2016 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 12364826)
Oh boy, Sutton will just as likely rush 4, drop everyone else into coverage and just cross his fingers.

God help us.

Shit, rushing 4 might be too aggressive for him based on his Patriots performance.

I do think it's important that before we all start sucking each other's dicks that we remember that Bob Sutton was running the show when we gave the Patriots 8 yard cushions and spent most of the game sending 2 and dropping 9.

Our DC could very easily still be a dumb **** and if Houston's genuinely incapable of contributing this year, our ceiling is significantly diminished.

New World Order 08-12-2016 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 12364824)
Yeah no thanks to Hardy

Sutton isn't capable of this

ct 08-12-2016 02:29 PM

guess i'm not seeing the huge drama here

they were extremely optimistic at first, and now that reality sets in that he's not super human 6 month recovery from ACL surgery, a typical 9 month time frame puts him around early november, or say 8-10 weeks missed into the season.

put him on PUP, get him healthy, lets go with the guys who won 11 straight w/out him and be ready for playoff push in December.

Easy 6 08-12-2016 02:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 12364837)
Sutton isn't capable of this

Eh, it may not be his strength, but he was with the Jets for the "muddle huddle" and all of the other Rex Ryan chicanery... he has contingency plans in his playbook I'm sure

And he is going to have to bust them out, I fear

Chiefnj2 08-12-2016 02:40 PM

Houston's acl injury was different than that of Charles, etc. Houston didn't tear his ACL.

Mr. Laz 08-12-2016 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 12364844)
Eh, it may not be his strength, but he was with the Jets for the "muddle huddle" and all of the other Rex Ryan chicanery... he has contingency plans in his playbook I'm sure

And he is going to have to bust them out, I fear

The problem is that i'm still not sure that Sutton isn't just 'copying' what Ryan did without really understanding it. Might be why he is so slow on adjustments etc, he has to research what Ryan did etc because he doesn't really "know" it.

All i know is that when something goes wrong Sutton doesn't really seem to know what to do. He has one game plan and that's it.

You ever see the movie The Waterboy?

A coach steals a playbook and suddenly starts winning. But then when Henry Winkler(plays coach) breaks out brand new plays the guy just doesn't know what to do because he is just follow a script created by another coach.

feels eerily like sutton ... hope i'm wrong

https://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2...ality=90&h=427

Red Dawg 08-12-2016 02:51 PM

Quote:

This will probably be the plan.

DJ's left nut 08-12-2016 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 12364856)
Houston's acl injury was different than that of Charles, etc. Houston didn't tear his ACL.

No, but the essentially tore it when they replaced it.

The injury may have been different but the treatment was largely similar; they both had their knees reconstructed and at that point it's simply up to the vagaries of the human body.

There's no telling how Houston's knee will handle the ACL replacement vs. anyone else's.

Easy 6 08-12-2016 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 12364872)
The problem is that i'm still not sure that Sutton isn't just 'copying' what Ryan did without really understanding it. Might be why he is so slow on adjustments etc, he has to research what Ryan did etc because he doesn't really "know" it.

All i know is that when something goes wrong Sutton doesn't really seem to know what to do. He has one game plan and that's it.

You ever see the movie The Waterboy?

A coach steals a playbook and suddenly starts winning. But then when Henry Winkler(plays coach) breaks out brand new plays the guy just doesn't know what to do because he is just follow a script created by another coach.

feels eerily like sutton ... hope i'm wrong

https://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2...ality=90&h=427

LOL wasnt expecting a Waterboy reference, but I think you're onto something

I agree 100% that Sutton isnt nearly as creative as his mentor, he doesnt do halftime adjustments well at all, among other problems... but we should also remember that we won 6 straight without Houston

King_Chief_Fan 08-12-2016 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ct (Post 12364842)

they were extremely optimistic at first, and now that reality sets in that he's not super human 6 month recovery from ACL surgery, a typical 9 month time frame puts him around early november, or say 8-10 weeks missed into the season.

put him on PUP, get him healthy, lets go with the guys who won 11 straight w/out him and be ready for playoff push in December.

:clap: end of thread

BossChief 08-12-2016 03:19 PM

I still wonder if it's a nerve issue. When they say the ligament was unresponsive, that's what I thought from the beginning.

ToxSocks 08-12-2016 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 12364872)

Nah, i don't think so. I know what you mean though. But whenever this comes up i am reminded of a quote Sutton made his first year here. I don't remember it verbatim, but it was something to the tune of "rex taught me not to let the offense dictate what i do on defense". Nowhere close to word for word, but the meaning was basically the same.

I don't think he doesn't know what to do. I think is style his to force his gameplan to work.

TEX 08-12-2016 03:22 PM

Quote:

Yep. Best to move on now and plan on him not being here this season. If he does happen to make it back, then great. Its Dee Ford time now.

TEX 08-12-2016 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ct (Post 12364842)

Exactly the case.

Mr. Laz 08-12-2016 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 12364935)
Nah, i don't think so. I know what you mean though. But whenever this comes up i am reminded of a quote Sutton made his first year here. I don't remember it verbatim, but it was something to the tune of "rex taught me not to let the offense dictate what i do on defense". Nowhere close to word for word, but the meaning was basically the same.

I don't think he doesn't know what to do. I think is style his to force his gameplan to work.

:hmmm:

Isn't the result the same?

huskerdooz 08-12-2016 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 12364856)

This ... if I recall they said his ACL was not functioning properly. I can't remember if they clarified what "not functioning properly" meant. i assume it could mean a number of things ... too loose, too tight, or even worse necrotic which would require a full replacement.

bricks 08-12-2016 04:05 PM

I'm hoping he is back by mid-season. That way he has enough playing time under his belt and will be in good rhythm and form come playoff time.

If that happens, it's a wet dream especially knowing that he will be less tired from not having to go through the wear and tear of a 16 game schedule.

What can I say bros?

Go Chiefs and Go Jays!!!

OctoberFart 08-12-2016 04:27 PM

Houston's knee sound like a good hamburger from the way your coach talks about him.

TEX 08-12-2016 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OctoberFart (Post 12365011)
Houston's knee sound like a good hamburger from the way your coach talks about him.

Were u always a reerun or did that happen when you became a Raiders fan? :shrug:

mcaj22 08-12-2016 05:48 PM

He can't just "come back" for the playoffs. He has to come back on the active roster by week 11 or get put on season ending IR.

So from Week 1 to Week 11 he has 11 weeks to get healthy. (I have no idea how far Houston is in being healthy I just wanted to clarify for people that think he can just show up Week 17 and party.)

ThaVirus 08-12-2016 05:50 PM

Andy Reid on Charles and Houston

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 12365099)
He can't just "come back" for the playoffs. He has to come back on the active roster by week 11 or get put on season ending IR.

So from Week 1 to Week 11 he has 11 weeks to get healthy. (I have no idea how far Houston is in being healthy I just wanted to clarify for people that think he can just show up Week 17 and party.)

Would put him back around 9 months after surgery.

Knowing absolutely nothing about the progression of his recovery, I'd say that sounds reasonable.

cdcox 08-12-2016 05:53 PM

A year from now, Houston will be day-to-day.

Dunerdr 08-12-2016 06:00 PM

Quote:

My names Houston and I like to party.

mcaj22 08-12-2016 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 12365101)
Would put him back around 9 months after surgery.

Knowing absolutely nothing about the progression of his recovery, I'd say that sounds reasonable.

I have no idea, I just know there will be a definitive end date to all this speculation on Houston well before the Chiefs get to the playoffs.

If Houston hits any snag I'd imagine the Chiefs have something up their sleeve at the trade deadline for any extra pass rush help.

Easy 6 08-12-2016 06:08 PM

I didnt know that, thanks for the info mcaj22... at least there is a firm date to mark down

DaneMcCloud 08-12-2016 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 12365134)
I have no idea, I just know there will be a definitive end date to all this speculation on Houston well before the Chiefs get to the playoffs.

If Houston hits any snag I'd imagine the Chiefs have something up their sleeve at the trade deadline for any extra pass rush help.

What NFL team is going to trade a pass rusher?

Dunerdr 08-12-2016 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12365143)

One that's basically systematically eliminated from playoff contention and facing a rebuild... Yano half the league will be teetering on eliminated and half of that needing draft pics.

DaneMcCloud 08-12-2016 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 12365145)
One that's basically systematically eliminated from playoff contention and facing a rebuild... Yano half the league will be teetering on eliminated and half of that needing draft pics.

Pass rushers are at a Premium, which is why the Chiefs selected Ford in the first round.

Every team thinks they're one offseason away from a Super Bowl and there isn't going to be a single team that's willing to trade away a game changing pass rusher.

Dunerdr 08-12-2016 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12365152)
Pass rushers are at a Premium, which is why the Chiefs selected Ford in the first round.

Every team thinks they're one offseason away from a Super Bowl and there isn't going to be a single team that's willing to trade away a game changing pass rusher.

Yeah there's no way the Falcons would trade freeney in week 10 ��

mcaj22 08-12-2016 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12365143)

I don't think it's going to be a good one.

But if Houston never comes back they're going to need more than Dee Ford. Hali will be well worn down by the playoffs.

HemiEd 08-12-2016 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 12365110)
A year from now, Houston will be day-to-day.

You hate to think it, but hopefully it isn't the old got paid issue.

Chief Roundup 08-12-2016 07:04 PM

What is this????? I, as well as many others, was scoffed at for not believing that he would be back week 1 as a few on here were ADAMANT that he would be because a couple of other players had done it, so be damned if Houston should not be able to do the same. :rolleyes:

Mr. Laz 08-12-2016 07:12 PM

Quote:

He can be put on the active roster and then just be inactive each week.

It's not like it's full snaps or nothing.

The team just has to make a decision about full IR at that time.

It's a roster decision week 11 not necessarily a 'play' decision

RINGLEADER 08-12-2016 07:18 PM

I heard basically the same thing from Reid and Dorsey on the NFL Radio training camp stop with the Chiefs. Was pretty much "Tamba and Jamaal will be back soon...but who knows if Justin will be back this season - gee, we sure hope so..."

Reading between the lines it sounds like Houston is out for the year.

This combined with losing Sean Smith leads me to believe that the Chiefs defense will be middle-of-the-pack this year. Hopefully, the offense starts clicking.

Chiefnj2 08-12-2016 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12364887)
No, but the essentially tore it when they replaced it.

The injury may have been different but the treatment was largely similar; they both had their knees reconstructed and at that point it's simply up to the vagaries of the human body.

There's no telling how Houston's knee will handle the ACL replacement vs. anyone else's.

Without knowing his injury I don't think you can automatically conclude that the surgery or treatment was the same.

RunKC 08-12-2016 07:30 PM

Justin Houston being out for the year would be a complete anomaly. ACL tear construction rehab is usually 9 months.

If Houston isn't back for the playoffs, which would be 11 months from his surgery, something either went horribly wrong or the Chiefs lied to us about his injury in the first place.

OldSchool 08-12-2016 07:55 PM

Well, guess we get to see what Dee Ford has in the tank full time this year.

Chiefshrink 08-12-2016 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 12364565)

I wouldn't be shocked. Why do you think Dorsey changed his tune with Mellinger ? Had to save face now that he realizes recovery is going much slower.

Chiefshrink 08-12-2016 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 12365310)
Well, guess we get to see what Dee Ford has in the tank full time this year.

Have a bad feeling about Ford. Don't think he will be 'the man'. Hope I am wrong.:hmmm: