ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Kruger cut by Browns. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=301816)

Dunerdr 08-29-2016 10:00 AM

Kruger cut by Browns.

For teams looking at a complementary veteran this offseason, look no further than the open marketplace in Cleveland. The Browns have already let go of safety Donte Whitner and linebacker Karlos Dansby and traded Barkevious Mingo.

And on Monday morning, they added another big name to that list: rush linebacker Paul Kruger.

Bring him in for a look?

The Franchise 08-29-2016 10:01 AM

He'll probably be expensive....but I'd kick the tires.

BleedingRed 08-29-2016 10:01 AM

YES! He is not the "best" OLB but he is great in Run Support!

Plus, his usage rate was way down last year. This guy can still get us 7-9 sacks.

nychief 08-29-2016 10:03 AM

Belch.

Dunerdr 08-29-2016 10:06 AM

Did he or did he not have to take his playbook to Ray farmer? Asking for a friend.

scho63 08-29-2016 10:13 AM

I'm going to miss that guy!

http://kramersapartment.com/wp-conte...o-seinfeld.jpg

Dante84 08-29-2016 10:22 AM

‘Darkness and pain': The death of ‘Seinfeld’ actor Daniel von Bargen

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 12393178)

DaneMcCloud 08-29-2016 10:23 AM

As I mentioned in the other thread, unless Moses is unable to start Week 1 or is placed on the PUP, I'd pass on Kruger, whom I believe is a Veteran Minimum guy at this point at best.

He's 30 years old, had 2.5 sacks last year. Moses can easily provide that type of production.

Dunerdr 08-29-2016 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12393189)
As I mentioned in the other thread, unless Moses is unable to start Week 1 or is placed on the PUP, I'd pass on Kruger, whom I believe is a Veteran Minimum guy at this point at best.

He's 30 years old, had 2.5 sacks last year. Moses can easily provide that type of production.

If that's the case I'd get him 3x for vet minimum just put out out against the run. At this point and an aging Hali and a barely useful ford it's a nice plan b.

DaneMcCloud 08-29-2016 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 12393202)
If that's the case I'd get him 3x for vet minimum just put out out against the run. At this point and an aging Hali and a barely useful ford it's a nice plan b.

I suppose $3 million to rotate with Hali while Ford's filling in for Houston isn't the worst plan to have, as long as he's healthy.

Dunerdr 08-29-2016 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12393223)
I suppose $3 million to rotate with Hali while Ford's filling in for Houston isn't the worst plan to have, as long as he's healthy.

Right now we're all in on halis body holding up and fords testicles dropping... I'd take anyone with experience on the cheap.

BleedingRed 08-29-2016 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12393189)

Look at his snap count, he did have 11 Sacks the year before.

Skyy God 08-29-2016 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12393223)

Which is all but 700K of our current cap space.

No thanks.

Dunerdr 08-29-2016 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 12393277)

No thanks.

Yeah and with no foreseeable cuts in the near future we'd have to free up space..

DaneMcCloud 08-29-2016 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 12393277)

No thanks.

Why do the Chiefs need $4.4 million in cap space if they're trying to win a Super Bowl?

TEX 08-29-2016 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 12393225)
Right now we're all in on halis body holding up and fords testicles dropping... I'd take anyone with experience on the cheap.

This.

chiefzilla1501 08-29-2016 03:09 PM

Here's a great article on Kruger. And why I think it's worth taking a flyer on him. We might get a steal out of it.

http://dawgpounddaily.com/2016/08/29...b-paul-kruger/
Cliff notes:
-He didn't do well in Horton's system. With Horton re-hired, maybe Horton knows he's not right for his system
-Kruger had an awesome season 2 years ago. Then struggled last year. It looks like his struggles coincided with Jim O'Neil taking over playcalling, and he was a complete disaster of a DC
-Not stated in the article, but he's played in a Ryan defense much of his career. Including under Mike Pettine.

I actually think KC could get him for pretty cheap. What other teams run the Ryan defense other than Baltimore, Buffalo and KC?

Mr. Laz 08-29-2016 04:11 PM

Quote:

This needs repeating.

If Hali's body finally goes and if Ford never grows a set we are in big trouble.

both players are needled badly unless we add someone

especially since the coaches don't seem to think that Dadi can get ready this year.

DJ's left nut 08-29-2016 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12393518)
Why do the Chiefs need $4.4 million in cap space if they're trying to win a Super Bowl?

Because they'll need to pay it to Streater in the off-season if he hits his incentives.

Any move needs to be dollar in/dollar out. They absolutely need to maintain that cushion unless they cut Streater. They can't end up going in the hole with the tough cap questions they're going to face in 17.

I'm all for finding a way to make it work, but they can't pay this one on the credit card.

Easy 6 08-29-2016 04:21 PM

11 sacks in 2014, followed by a down year under a shitty DC

Oh yeah, if Dorsey can make the numbers work we'd be fools not to grab this guy

Meatloaf 08-29-2016 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12393866)
Because they'll need to pay it to Streater in the off-season if he hits his incentives.

Any move needs to be dollar in/dollar out. They absolutely need to maintain that cushion unless they cut Streater. They can't end up going in the hole with the tough cap questions they're going to face in 17.

I'm all for finding a way to make it work, but they can't pay this one on the credit card.

So what the heck has happened to Streater? Looked pretty good early on, now can't find him on the field. Is it a given that he's on the club, or has he had setbacks in practice?

chiefzilla1501 08-29-2016 04:38 PM

Quote:

The Chiefs have plenty of flexibility. It's all a matter of when they make the bold decisions in the positions they're deep at. Most obvious is giving Berry a long-term backloaded deal. But you can also move guys like Allen Bailey. In this case, I think it may be worth it. This team needs good OLBs and for 2 years straight, they can't keep their guys healthy in big game. If you structure the contract the right way, you can keep Kruger until you know for sure what you have in Dee Ford and/or Dadi Nicolas. If Kruger is even an upgrade over Ford, which right now isn't saying much, then that's more valuable to us than a guy like Bailey who plays well at a position where we're tremendously deep. We may not even need to do that. I think Kruger will take a discount to play in a system where he can thrive, and KC is one of the few that guarantees him that.

DaneMcCloud 08-29-2016 04:57 PM

Quote:

At this point in time, I wonder if Streater even makes the squad, as he's been invisible since Week 1.

Either they're "hiding" him or he's a goner. It's really odd.

But if it's between Streater and a pass rusher, I'm all over the the pass rusher.

DaneMcCloud 08-29-2016 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 12393875)
But you can also move guys like Allen Bailey.

The Chiefs aren't moving Allen Bailey. Are you high?

That's $5 million in dead money.

mcaj22 08-29-2016 05:08 PM

Paul Kruger's sack totals are a little deceiving. I thought he was more of a swiss army knife and not a full time rushbacker?

He wasn't playing rushbacker in Cleveland he was playing the Mike Vrabel role, because he can stop the run and drop back into pass coverage if needed. Which is literally the position everyone is bitching about Ford looking completely inept at.

I think something happened last season that Kruger was playing a position or scheme he wasn't comfortable with. But he's not going to get you a lot of sacks. I think he's known for sealing the edge, helping stuff the run and then dropping back into the flats or zone to cover a pass if needed (Ford can't do any of this). That's what got him his contract anyway. (his pass deflections up until last year are on par with Justin Houstons, that's why I think it could be a nice scheme fit)

Kruger is basically a poor mans Vrabel. Does this team need a guy like that? I'd argue yes, that way you can use Dee Ford to rotate with Hali strictly rushing from one side.

R Clark 08-29-2016 05:18 PM

Geting rid of Bailey would be a dumb move,he's pretty good and not that pricey.Kurger sounds like just what we need if the price is right

Chiefshrink 08-29-2016 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 12393202)

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 12393780)
Here's a great article on Kruger. And why I think it's worth taking a flyer on him. We might get a steal out of it.

http://dawgpounddaily.com/2016/08/29...b-paul-kruger/
Cliff notes:
-He didn't do well in Horton's system. With Horton re-hired, maybe Horton knows he's not right for his system
-Kruger had an awesome season 2 years ago. Then struggled last year. It looks like his struggles coincided with Jim O'Neil taking over playcalling, and he was a complete disaster of a DC
-Not stated in the article, but he's played in a Ryan defense much of his career. Including under Mike Pettine.

I actually think KC could get him for pretty cheap. What other teams run the Ryan defense other than Baltimore, Buffalo and KC?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 12393861)
This needs repeating.

If Hali's body finally goes and if Ford never grows a set we are in big trouble.

especially since the coaches don't seem to think that Dadi can get ready this year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 12393867)
11 sacks in 2014, followed by a down year under a shitty DC

Oh yeah, if Dorsey can make the numbers work we'd be fools not to grab this guy

Quote:

The Chiefs have plenty of flexibility. It's all a matter of when they make the bold decisions in the positions they're deep at. Most obvious is giving Berry a long-term backloaded deal. But you can also move guys like Allen Bailey. In this case, I think it may be worth it. This team needs good OLBs and for 2 years straight, they can't keep their guys healthy in big game. If you structure the contract the right way, you can keep Kruger until you know for sure what you have in Dee Ford and/or Dadi Nicolas. If Kruger is even an upgrade over Ford, which right now isn't saying much, then that's more valuable to us than a guy like Bailey who plays well at a position where we're tremendously deep. We may not even need to do that. I think Kruger will take a discount to play in a system where he can thrive, and KC is one of the few that guarantees him that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 12393906)
Paul Kruger's sack totals are a little deceiving. I thought he was more of a swiss army knife and not a full time rushbacker?

He wasn't playing rushbacker in Cleveland he was playing the Mike Vrabel role, because he can stop the run and drop back into pass coverage if needed. Which is literally the position everyone is bitching about Ford looking completely inept at.

I think something happened last season that Kruger was playing a position or scheme he wasn't comfortable with. But he's not going to get you a lot of sacks. I think he's known for sealing the edge, helping stuff the run and then dropping back into the flats or zone to cover a pass if needed (Ford can't do any of this). That's what got him his contract anyway. (his pass deflections up until last year are on par with Justin Houstons, that's why I think it could be a nice scheme fit)

Kruger is basically a poor mans Vrabel. Does this team need a guy like that? I'd argue yes, that way you can use Dee Ford to rotate with Hali strictly rushing from one side.

Quote:

Originally Posted by R Clark (Post 12393918)
Geting rid of Bailey would be a dumb move,he's pretty good and not that pricey.Kurger sounds like just what we need if the price is right

:clap::thumb:

hometeam 08-29-2016 06:13 PM

Cut Ford sign Kruger.

Or just sign Kruger.

Or just cut Ford.

Im down with any of the above.

Chiefshrink 08-29-2016 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 12394014)
Cut Ford sign Kruger.

Or just sign Kruger.

Or just cut Ford.

Im down with any of the above.

Dorsey's ego is at stake here and it is very difficult for GM's in general to just casually cut their pick in the 1st rd. He will give Dee every opportunity before eating crow.

I agree with you though. Ford has no instinct in this defense whatsoever. He looks a lot like Lucille Ball in that infamous candy factory scene getting overwhelmed very easily. Just looks lost the majority of the time.

hometeam 08-29-2016 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 12394022)
Dorsey's ego is at stake here and it is very difficult for GM's in general to just casually cut their pick in the 1st rd. He will give Dee every opportunity before eating crow.

I agree with you though. Ford has no instinct in this defense whatsoever.:rolleyes:

Yea i know, I'm being a bit facetious even though I don't think it would hurt at all to cut him.

I would still be A-OK with getting Kruger in here.

R Clark 08-29-2016 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12393890)
At this point in time, I wonder if Streater even makes the squad, as he's been invisible since Week 1.

Either they're "hiding" him or he's a goner. It's really odd.

But if it's between Streater and a pass rusher, I'm all over the the pass rusher.

What is the deal with Steater?Has anybody heard about him at all,he didn't play a down that I could see at the Bears

Chiefshrink 08-29-2016 06:23 PM

Frank Zombo,Dee Ford or Paul Kruger?:hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

O.city 08-29-2016 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 12393906)

Aka, exactly what we need with houston out

Chiefshrink 08-29-2016 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 12394025)
Yea i know, I'm being a bit facetious even though I don't think it would hurt at all to cut him.

I would still be A-OK with getting Kruger in here.

Oh for sure !! I like your facetiousness and take it as gospel !!:D

Mr. Laz 08-29-2016 06:35 PM

LB/Pass rush is probably the biggest question mark on the team now.

ROLB/LOLB are neither deep or impactful with Houston

Hali is still good but not what he used to be
Ford is playing out of position at LOLB and is mediocre at best
Zombo is a blue collar backup who doesn't suck
Moses looks improved
Dadi looks to have good potential but coaching staff doesn't seem to be push his development

Ideally for me, we should move Ford to backup and rotate with Hali. He can learn how to rush and work from Hali. At least he will be able to use his quick first step for something.

Sign another LOLB and let them compete/rotate with Zombo.

Hopefully Dadi turns it on at some point this season

If that idiot Sutton doesn't move Ford over to his natural position then adding Kruger would help.

Mav 08-29-2016 06:35 PM

Kruger cut by Browns.

Krugers biggest issue the last two seasons has been his inability to seal the edge and stop the run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chiefshrink 08-29-2016 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R Clark (Post 12394029)
What is the deal with Steater?Has anybody heard about him at all,he didn't play a down that I could see at the Bears

They know they are keeping Streater but they are deciding between Hammond or Wilson as who to keep and if the Bears game was any indication Hammond performed and Wison was typically disappointing but there will be some here that will still tout the ol potential work in progress drum after 4yrs.:rolleyes: Of course this is my theory and I have no idea if Streater is a little banged up or they wanted other WRs to get snaps to help evaluate and make a decision. Who knows???

Mr. Laz 08-29-2016 06:37 PM

LB/Pass rush is probably the biggest question mark on the team now.

ROLB/LOLB are neither deep or impactful with Houston

Hali is still good but not what he used to be
Ford is playing out of position at LOLB and is mediocre at best
Zombo is a blue collar backup who doesn't suck
Moses looks improved
Dadi looks to have good potential but coaching staff doesn't seem to be push his development

Ideally for me, we should move Ford to backup and rotate with Hali. He can learn how to rush and work from Hali. At least he will be able to use his quick first step for something.

Sign another LOLB and let them compete/rotate with Zombo.

Hopefully Dadi turns it on at some point this season

If that idiot Sutton doesn't move Ford over to his natural position then adding Kruger might help.

Chiefshrink 08-29-2016 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mav (Post 12394075)
Krugers biggest issue the last two seasons has been his inability to seal the edge and stop the run.

So he has Ford's Syndrome ??

Mav 08-29-2016 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 12394090)

Correct

Chiefshrink 08-29-2016 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mav (Post 12394092)
Correct

What gives you this idea about Kruger ? Did you watch a lot of Brown games? Not trying to agitate here either.

Mav 08-29-2016 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 12394106)
What gives you this idea about Kruger ? Did you watch a lot of Brown games? Not trying to agitate here either.

every game

Mr. Laz 08-29-2016 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 12394090)

Actually Ford started doing a decent job of sealing the edge against the Rams.

He just didn't do anything else but that.

He is just a limited football player.

I don't know if he's just too stupid or lazy to handle more than one part of playing defense. All i know is that dumbass Sutton should have never put him in a position where he need to be smart and multifaceted.

He should have just put him behind Hali from Day 1 and let Hali toughen him up and teach him how to rush the passer in the NFL. Can you imagine Hali with Ford's 1st step and quickness?

But Sutton is a moron so ........

Chiefshrink 08-29-2016 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 12394114)
Actually Ford start doing a decent job of sealing the edge against the Rams.

He just didn't do anything else but that.

He is just a limited football player.

I don't know if he's just too stupid or lazy to handle more than one part of playing defense. All i know is that dumbass Sutton should have never put him in a position where he need to be smart and multifaceted.

He should have just put him behind Hali from Day 1 and let Hali toughen him up and teach him how to rush the passer in the NFL. Can you imagine Hali with Ford's 1st step and quickness?

But Sutton is a moron so ........

Agreed.

We just now need to stop the bleeding with getting gashed on the "run". I still don't like our run defense yet.

Chiefshrink 08-29-2016 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mav (Post 12394108)
every game

well then.....:rolleyes:

Mav 08-29-2016 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 12394126)
well then.....:rolleyes:

Usually would watch the Chiefs games live if they were on at the same time and record Browns games.

NWTF 08-29-2016 08:07 PM

Kruger was a pretty good rusher for the Ravens a few years back but he seems to have regressed somewhat with the Browns, but the Browns do tend to have that effect on players.

DJ's left nut 08-29-2016 10:15 PM

Quote:

Do I have to take you seriously when you don't understand that the Chiefs are prohibited from extending Berry at this point?

Eh, don't answer. I'm not going to.

The Chiefs don't have nearly the last flexibility you believe they do and the fact that you're citing cutting Bailey (who's dead money would be brutal) and Berry (who again, by rule cannot be extended) confirms that you really have no idea what you're talking about.

Psyko Tek 08-29-2016 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 12393861)
This needs repeating.

I believe Hali's worst will be better than fords best
get us some back up, a PAID Houston may have a problem showing up

Chiefs=Champions 08-30-2016 02:55 AM

Kruger to visit saints then chiefs

http://www.espn.com.au/american-foot...eveland-browns

Pasta Little Brioni 08-30-2016 04:32 AM

Turd

Couch-Potato 08-30-2016 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs=Good (Post 12394913)

Foles, Acker, Kruger... I love seeing that we're grabbing talent wherever we can and making a strong push to squeeze all the juice out of our offseason before the season starts.

Red Dawg 08-30-2016 05:06 AM

Pick him up. Why the hell not, we could use the help.

ChiefAshhole1056 08-30-2016 05:42 AM

How much is too much to pay for Kruger?

nychief 08-30-2016 05:49 AM

Sounds like the saints are all in.... Which is fine.

Dunerdr 08-30-2016 06:42 AM

Kruger to visit Nola then Kc.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2016/8...s-after-saints

notorious 08-30-2016 06:57 AM

Quote:

Another fun fact. Andy Reid is part of the LDS church. So is Paul Kruger. In fact, Kruger went on a two year mission for the Church from 2005-07. It was at a church in Independence, just a few miles from Arrowhead Stadium

It's a lock. LMAO

notorious 08-30-2016 07:01 AM

Besides, you know how KC fans love their "high motor" (wink, wink) defensive players.......

Dunerdr 08-30-2016 07:22 AM

Krugers not what he once was but I'd rather go into the season with two halis than one Hali and a Dee ford.

RunKC 08-30-2016 07:24 AM

Would like this move. Add all the pass rush you can while Houston is out.

Looks like a redshirt year for Dadi Nicolas.

KChiefs1 08-30-2016 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch-Potato (Post 12394928)
Foles, Acker, Kruger... I love seeing that we're grabbing talent wherever we can and making a strong push to squeeze all the juice out of our offseason before the season starts.

Ladies & gentlemen...John Dorsey.

KChiefs1 08-30-2016 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12394972)
It's a lock. LMAO

That is a lock.

Bwana 08-30-2016 07:57 AM

Do it!

Dante84 08-30-2016 07:59 AM

So this would give Zombo the boot, right?

Houston
Hali
Kruger
Ford
Moses
Nicholas

Cut: Zombo?

Dunerdr 08-30-2016 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 12395033)

Houston
Hali
Kruger
Ford
Moses
Nicholas

Dee ford to IR (undecending testicles)

Skyy God 08-30-2016 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs=Good (Post 12394913)

If he wants another ring, we're a better chance than the Saints

Rooster 08-30-2016 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12394974)
Besides, you know how KC fans love their "high motor" (wink, wink) defensive players.......

about as much as KC fans love their "high motor" receivers.

ChiefAshhole1056 08-30-2016 08:25 AM

Don't see how his decision would be based on money considering NO and KC are two of the least cap space friendly teams in the league..

Way I see it is he has to decide if he wants to be a part of a playoff team and recharge his value on a one year "prove-it" deal in KC, or go to a longer term and starting role in a more interesting/fun city such as New Oreleans (considering his career has been spent in Cleveland/Baltimore, the man may want to go that route).

Frosty 08-30-2016 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 12395033)

Houston
Hali
Kruger
Ford
Moses
Nicholas

Zombo is too important on ST and can back up both OLB and ILB. Moses would be gone, imo.

The Franchise 08-30-2016 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 12395142)
Zombo is too important on ST and can back up both OLB and ILB. Moses would be gone, imo.

Zombo has kind of looked like shit so far this year though. I'd rather keep Moses over Zombo.

BleedingRed 08-30-2016 08:45 AM

Good depth pickup if he signs

Frosty 08-30-2016 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12395153)
Zombo has kind of looked like shit so far this year though. I'd rather keep Moses over Zombo.

Yeah, he hasn't looked great in the starting role. However, Moses hasn't done anything, either, since the Seattle game. Plus, they already cut Moses once this year.

RunKC 08-30-2016 09:05 AM

Quote:

The 6-foot-4, 270-pounder had a solid three-year run in Cleveland, but it wasn't as dynamic as his contract suggested. He had 4.5 sacks in 2013, 11 in 2014 and 2.5 in 2015, with his numbers suffering from his move from the strong side to the weak side.
That's why we're looking at him IMO. Ford Is better on the weak side and Kruger is better on the strong side.

Set that up and have Hali rotate in part time.

DJ's left nut 08-30-2016 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12395196)
That's why we're looking at him IMO. Ford Is better on the weak side and Kruger is better on the strong side.

No question; it's a hand in glove move. He'd be an ideal fit.

But the money is just so damn tight. Even if you cut Davis, Fleming, DAT and Cooper, you save about $2.7 million after dead money but then you have to backfill them with other guys at the veterans minimum that will cost about $2 million. So cutting that dead weight saves us only about $700K.

Mauga would save us another $500K or so after his replacement is figured in.

Sure, there are re-structures, but I wouldn't guarantee Charles or Colquitt any more money. I'd consider restructuring Smith as I think we can safely say that he's here through 2018 at this point. The Chiefs could escape his deal pretty easily after 2017 but I just don't think they're inclined to do it. So if he's here through 2018 anyway, might as well try to convert some of his base this year into bonus. You could probably free up $3-4 million doing that, but it would take away that flexibility you'd gain post 2017 if it turns out that there's a young QB you really like in the draft next year.

There aren't easy answers, despite how loudly the "the cap is a myth" crowd wants to argue otherwise. This is a young team with some ascending players and a load of draft capital over the coming years. It's not a team that needs to push its chips in now for one last all or nothing run. They need to constantly keep an eye on the coming years as they have enough depth in this roster that they will need to pay for - the cap will ALWAYS be a problem on a team this deep.

Gotta be smart.

The Franchise 08-30-2016 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12395218)
No question; it's a hand in glove move. He'd be an ideal fit.

But the money is just so damn tight. Even if you cut Davis, Fleming, DAT and Cooper, you save about $2.7 million after dead money but then you have to backfill them with other guys at the veterans minimum that will cost about $2 million. So cutting that dead weight saves us only about $700K.

Mauga would save us another $500K or so after his replacement is figured in.

Sure, there are re-structures, but I wouldn't guarantee Charles or Colquitt any more money. I'd consider restructuring Smith as I think we can safely say that he's here through 2018 at this point. The Chiefs could escape his deal pretty easily after 2017 but I just don't think they're inclined to do it. So if he's here through 2018 anyway, might as well try to convert some of his base this year into bonus. You could probably free up $3-4 million doing that, but it would take away that flexibility you'd gain post 2017 if it turns out that there's a young QB you really like in the draft next year.

There aren't easy answers, despite how loudly the "the cap is a myth" crowd wants to argue otherwise. This is a young team with some ascending players and a load of draft capital over the coming years. It's not a team that needs to push its chips in now for one last all or nothing run. They need to constantly keep an eye on the coming years as they have enough depth in this roster that they will need to pay for - the cap will ALWAYS be a problem on a team this deep.

Gotta be smart.

What are you backfilling with Davis, Flemming, DAT and Cooper? Their replacements are already on this roster. If they're planning on keeping a 4th RB....then they can keep Reaves. Flemming and Cooper already have their replacements in Murray and Acker. DAT is being replaced with Hill.

And I posted before in another thread....but the Broncos asked their Colquitt to take a paycut. I'd do the same thing with Dustin.

O.city 08-30-2016 09:25 AM

What's sucks is Houston's injury and the total money you've got there.

With him out and having to pay Kruger, you've got a big chunk in one spot pretty quick.

threebag 08-30-2016 09:27 AM

I am loving some Dadi Nicolas

The Franchise 08-30-2016 09:29 AM

Houston (PUP/ IR to return)

Kruger
Hali
Ford
Zombo
Moses
Nicholas

When Houston comes back....you either cut Zombo or Moses.

DJ's left nut 08-30-2016 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12395225)
What are you backfilling with Davis, Flemming, DAT and Cooper? Their replacements are already on this roster. If they're planning on keeping a 4th RB....then they can keep Reaves. Flemming and Cooper already have their replacements in Murray and Acker. DAT is being replaced with Hill.

And I posted before in another thread....but the Broncos asked their Colquitt to take a paycut. I'd do the same thing with Dustin.

No they aren't. Their replacements are people who AREN'T presently factored into the 'top 51' that the NFL factors into the cap.

When you cut Davis and keep Reaves, Reaves now moves into the 'top 51'. Cutting Davis saves you $700K but Reaves costs the veteran minimum and will count against the cap now at $500Kish.

So the net gain is $200K. And it's like that with Flemming, Cooper, etc...

You still have to fill a roster and when you're looking at cutting guys that are barely making above the minimum anyway AND carry dead money with them, you're mostly moving laterally when you try to make space by cutting them.

As for Colquitt - probably too late. If the Chiefs wanted to mess with his money, they needed to bring in camp competition. He holds the cards now. The only way they'd convince him to take a pay cut is if they agree to lock him in on his money for next year and they shouldn't be doing that either. It's time to move on from the $4 million punter (it's past time, in fact, but the Chiefs are stuck here, IMO).

O.city 08-30-2016 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12395243)
Houston (PUP/ IR to return)

Kruger
Hali
Ford
Zombo
Moses
Nicholas

When Houston comes back....you either cut Zombo or Moses.

I don't think they need 6 olb.