ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football 2016-2017 NFL Coach/GM changes and hires (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=304876)

displacedinMN 01-02-2017 10:24 AM

2016-2017 NFL Coach/GM changes and hires

Feel free to post rumors, articles and anything else change related. I will try to update the OP as I can

Fired:
49'ers-Chip Kelly, GM Trent Baalke
Bills-Rex Ryan and his feet
Chargers-Mike McCoy
Jaguars-Gus Bradley
Rams-Jeff Fisher
Broncos-Gary Kubiak (self-inflicted)
Redskins-DC Berry and three others

On the bubble:
Colts-Chuck Pagano (now safe)
Texans-Bill O'Brian
Saints-Sean Peyton (rumored now safe-fired a lot of assistant coaches)
Anyone in the Cleveland organization

Hired:
Gregg Williams replaces Ray Horton as Browns' defensive coordinator
Jaguars-Doug Marrone with assistance from Tom Coughlin-cough cough
Rams- Sean McVay Redskins OC hired by the Rams as their new HC.
Chargers/Ermines- Anthony Lynn---WHO?
Rams-Wade Phillips Named Rams DC
Bills-coach Sean McDermott and GM Doug Whaley.

Moving

The San Diego Chargers to become the Los Angeles Ermines?

displacedinMN 01-02-2017 10:25 AM

The Los Angeles Rams have requested an interview with Bills interim coach Anthony Lynn, sources tell ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

BryanBusby 01-02-2017 10:37 AM

I think the Saints would really have to be wowed with a trade offer. Too many teams looking in a shitty ass pool.

Texans and Colts might hang onto their coaches for another year for the same reason.

DJ's left nut 01-02-2017 10:42 AM

Poor Chuck Pagano.

The guy's going to get cursed as not being able to win with Andrew Luck but the fact remains that Ryan Grigson is so incredibly bad at his job that he manages to undercut any advantage that comes with having Luck.

Mile High Mania 01-02-2017 10:43 AM

It will be interesting to see which new names appear as first time HC's... I think the Jags would be mistaken to lure Coughlin from retirement, the dude is 70.

McDaniels will find a new home and possibly do better the 2nd time around. Would be interesting to see him go to SF and trade for Jimmy G. Rams gig is interesting, but you're rebuilding without a first rounder this year and lots of issues.

Grab your popcorn.

BryanBusby 01-02-2017 10:45 AM

Unless you really really love Jared Goff, the Rams gig is kinda shitty actually.

Mosbonian 01-02-2017 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 12655994)
It will be interesting to see which new names appear as first time HC's... I think the Jags would be mistaken to lure Coughlin from retirement, the dude is 70.

McDaniels will find a new home and possibly do better the 2nd time around. Would be interesting to see him go to SF and trade for Jimmy G. Rams gig is interesting, but you're rebuilding without a first rounder this year and lots of issues.

Grab your popcorn.

The talking heads around here seems to favor trying to lure Jon Gruden out of retirement and if that doesn't work, go for either Todd Haley or Josh McDaniel.

I think Coughlin is their fallback position considering all the ties he has here to this town. Plus some believe his form of heavy handed coaching is what the Jags need to bring into line the different characters on the team.

DJ's left nut 01-02-2017 10:53 AM

Quote:

Grab your popcorn.

Trading for Garappolo would be a mistake, IMO.

You have really no idea what you're working with there (and really, this is the same McDaniels that wanted Cassel when he went to Denver; why trust his judgment?).

And the biggest problem by far is that you're going to face exactly what the Redskins are running into with Cousins. After his good 2015, his first full season as a starter, they had no idea what to do with him so they tagged him. Now the tag is prohibitive and they're going to have to either pay him elite QB money or lose him.

And that's the best case scenario - the worst case is an Osweiler situation where he's not great but not bad either and you just throw a big number at him to give yourself a chance to find out one way or the other.

Trading for a pending FA with absolutely no idea if he's an NFL player or not is a bad idea, IMO. It just puts you behind the 8 ball from a long-term contractual standpoint.

RippedmyFlesh 01-02-2017 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 12656006)
The talking heads around here seems to favor trying to lure Jon Gruden out of retirement and if that doesn't work, go for either Todd Haley or Josh McDaniel.

I think Coughlin is their fallback position considering all the ties he has here to this town. Plus some believe his form of heavy handed coaching is what the Jags need to bring into line the different characters on the team.

Haley would provide that. I would like to see him get another shot.

Mosbonian 01-02-2017 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RippedmyFlesh (Post 12656010)

I guess you see Haley differently than I do....he may have matured from a personality point of view, but I see him no differently than I and others see Wade Phillips......a great assistant coach but nowhere near Head Coach material.

burt 01-02-2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 12656019)
I guess you see Haley differently than I do....he may have matured from a personality point of view, but I see him no differently than I and others see Wade Phillips......a great assistant coach but nowhere near Head Coach material.

Perfectly said.

Al Bundy 01-02-2017 11:08 AM

Chuck Pagano is set to meet with the media at 1:30 ET.

RippedmyFlesh 01-02-2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 12656019)

More a morbid curiosity than believing he would win. I will be interested to see how he does if he gets another shot.

BryanBusby 01-02-2017 11:08 AM

Haley got a bad shot here. I don't think he would want to even **** with Blake Bortles. Bortles is.shit.

I think he holds out for Arians to die on the sideline and land the AZ gig or for Tomlin to go.

O.city 01-02-2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12655992)
Poor Chuck Pagano.

The guy's going to get cursed as not being able to win with Andrew Luck but the fact remains that Ryan Grigson is so incredibly bad at his job that he manages to undercut any advantage that comes with having Luck.

There's actually been some rumor about Pagano to Denver.

I dunno how I'd feel about that.

And in regards to Luck, I agree to a degree, but man, Luck still does alot of shit I didn't think he'd be doing by now. Are we really that sure he's what we thought he'd be?

Hoopsdoc 01-02-2017 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12655992)
Poor Chuck Pagano.

They're both awful and need to go. Grigson for the TRich trade and countless other FA and draft gaffes and Pagano because he's an AWFUL coach, from the confoundingly dumb fake punt to the horrible record against winning teams to the fact that they consistently are sluggish and unprepared to play.

If it weren't for Luck and Hasselbeck playing out of his mind for several games last year, their record would be WELL below 500%.

Hoopsdoc 01-02-2017 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12656031)
There's actually been some rumor about Pagano to Denver.

I dunno how I'd feel about that.

And in regards to Luck, I agree to a degree, but man, Luck still does alot of shit I didn't think he'd be doing by now. Are we really that sure he's what we thought he'd be?

I don't think Luck will ever be as good as Manning or Brady, which is the standard he's held too, but he's still a top 5 quarterback who's just entering his prime.

Mosbonian 01-02-2017 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 12656028)
Haley got a bad shot here. I don't think he would want to even **** with Blake Bortles. Bortles is.shit.

I think he holds out for Arians to die on the sideline and land the AZ gig or for Tomlin to go.

Haley made his own bed here and turned it from a Sleep Number Bed into a bed of nails. His immaturity led to his demise....

And no one who would come here would want to inherit Bortles. Many here whisper his name in the same sentence as Blaine Gabbert. I am guessing whoever comes here will want to give Bortles a shot but will want to have a good QB to give him some competition.

As for where Haley lands....I think that he has a better shot at getting the AZ job than he does the Steelers job.

DJ's left nut 01-02-2017 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RippedmyFlesh (Post 12656010)

Likewise.

The lens of History (and the stank of Scott Pioli) puts a very different view of Haley's tenure here than there was in real-time.

In hindsight, Haley was a damn miracle worker. And while the weapons in Pittsburgh make a big difference, he's always been a good offensive mind.

I'm not sure if he's truly HC material; he may be too vested in playing with the offense and not enough in being an administrator but I think he's earned another look. After plowing through some rough patches with Ben, I think he's earned their trust and established that he can relate to players again.

I think he'd be among the better guys hired if given another shot and honestly, the Chargers seem like a nice spot for him.

NWTF 01-02-2017 11:24 AM

I could see Bill O'Brian immediately being on the hot seat for next year if Oakland goes in there with their 3rd string QB and somehow wins. I dont think they will but if they do that would have to be a huge punch to the gut to the Texans. This is kind of the perfect setup for them to finally get a playoff win. The Raiders arent playoff caliber now.

I dont think theyd fire him over it, but he will have to do more next year than just eeking out a shitty division for a one and done.

Mosbonian 01-02-2017 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12656042)
Likewise.

The lens of History (and the stank of Scott Pioli) puts a very different view of Haley's tenure here than there was in real-time.

In hindsight, Haley was a damn miracle worker. And while the weapons in Pittsburgh make a big difference, he's always been a good offensive mind.

I'm not sure if he's truly HC material; he may be too vested in playing with the offense and not enough in being an administrator but I think he's earned another look. After plowing through some rough patches with Ben, I think he's earned their trust and established that he can relate to players again.

I think he'd be among the better guys hired if given another shot and honestly, the Chargers seem like a nice spot for him.

I understand everyone wanting to give Haley the benefit of the doubt....partly because of Pioli and his stupidity. But you have to admit he didn't help himself with some of his inability to adapt during the game.

I see we agree on the fact that he is a great Offensive Coach....I just don't think he had a keen eye for the other side of the ball and how to adjust properly during the game.

BryanBusby 01-02-2017 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 12656041)
Haley made his own bed here and turned it from a Sleep Number Bed into a bed of nails. His immaturity led to his demise....

And no one who would come here would want to inherit Bortles. Many here whisper his name in the same sentence as Blaine Gabbert. I am guessing whoever comes here will want to give Bortles a shot but will want to have a good QB to give him some competition.

As for where Haley lands....I think that he has a better shot at getting the AZ job than he does the Steelers job.

I think you're discounting a couple things.

How much Pioli made people batshit insane and how many coaches ultimately failed at their first gigs. Most of the SB winners lately were retreads.

I also disagree with your opener. It's a win now business and Pioli refused to ever accept that Matt Cassel ****ing sucked and refused to replace him or get real competition. Haley could throw a toddler fit and nobody would ****ing care if he won the game.

You're discounting how ****ing bad Matt Cassel really is.

displacedinMN 01-02-2017 11:37 AM

AAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNND Its official

Gary Kubiak resigns as Denver Broncos’ head coach
Gary Kubiak and the team released a statement on Monday morning to announce his resignation as head coach of the Denver Broncos.
Profile image of authorThe Denver Post

DJ's left nut 01-02-2017 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 12656050)
I understand everyone wanting to give Haley the benefit of the doubt....partly because of Pioli and his stupidity. But you have to admit he didn't help himself with some of his inability to adapt during the game.

I see we agree on the fact that he is a great Offensive Coach....I just don't think he had a keen eye for the other side of the ball and how to adjust properly during the game.

Ability to adjust isn't innate; it's learned.

And as for 'keen eye for the other side of the ball' - who cares? There are very few coaches in the history of this league that were truly excellent on both sides of the ball; that's what coordinators are for.

Every coach has a particular skill-set with a set of strengths and weaknesses. Sure, Haley's will be on defense but so are Reid's. For me the question isn't whether or not he can run a defense, it's whether or not he can run an organization at large. Can he handle the personalities and responsibilities? Can he schedule workouts under the new CBA that are beneficial for his squad? Can he build a viable lockerroom culture? Big picture questions still exist for him but I think he's done some things to show that he should at least get a shot to answer them.

displacedinMN 01-02-2017 11:37 AM

Side note-Lane Kiffin out for NC game. Relieved of duties

DJ's left nut 01-02-2017 11:40 AM

Mike McCoy was a nice OC in Denver and I still think he got raw-dogged in San Diego a bit.

Wouldn't he be a very nice fit to replace Kubiak? That would actually worry me a bit; I think Mike McCoy can coach and if given even a mediocre situation (and Denver would be a nice place to end up), he can do some good things there.

Mosbonian 01-02-2017 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 12656055)
I think you're discounting a couple things.

How much Pioli made people batshit insane and how many coaches ultimately failed at their first gigs. Most of the SB winners lately were retreads.

I also disagree with your opener. It's a win now business and Pioli refused to ever accept that Matt Cassel ****ing sucked and refused to replace him or get real competition. Haley could throw a toddler fit and nobody would ****ing care if he won the game.

You're discounting how ****ing bad Matt Cassel really is.

I absolutely remember how pathetic Matt Cassel was and still is....and his recent gig with the Titans just reminds everyone. I also remember Haley was stuck with Kyle Orton, Tyler Palko and Ricky Stanzi.

I also remember his temper getting the best of him in a game and getting a 15 yard Unsportsman Like Conduct penalty.

I will stick with my assessment....he is a great offensive mind but not Head Coach material.

And if I am wrong...it wouldn't be the first time.:D

BryanBusby 01-02-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 12656080)
I absolutely remember how pathetic Matt Cassel was and still is....and his recent gig with the Titans just reminds everyone. I also remember Haley was stuck with Kyle Orton, Tyler Palko and Ricky Stanzi.

I also remember his temper getting the best of him in a game and getting a 15 yard Unsportsman Like Conduct penalty.

I will stick with my assessment....he is a great offensive mind but not Head Coach material.

And if I am wrong...it wouldn't be the first time.:D

Feel free but can't say he got a fair shake here.

Al Bundy 01-02-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12656074)
Mike McCoy was a nice OC in Denver and I still think he got raw-dogged in San Diego a bit.

Wouldn't he be a very nice fit to replace Kubiak? That would actually worry me a bit; I think Mike McCoy can coach and if given even a mediocre situation (and Denver would be a nice place to end up), he can do some good things there.

He'll have to go back to being an OC for at least a year.

Mosbonian 01-02-2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12656066)
Ability to adjust isn't innate; it's learned.

And as for 'keen eye for the other side of the ball' - who cares? There are very few coaches in the history of this league that were truly excellent on both sides of the ball; that's what coordinators are for.

Every coach has a particular skill-set with a set of strengths and weaknesses. Sure, Haley's will be on defense but so are Reid's. For me the question isn't whether or not he can run a defense, it's whether or not he can run an organization at large. Can he handle the personalities and responsibilities? Can he schedule workouts under the new CBA that are beneficial for his squad? Can he build a viable lockerroom culture? Big picture questions still exist for him but I think he's done some things to show that he should at least get a shot to answer them.

I think my answer to all your questions would be a "not in my book".

I think Haley still has enough of an ego he might not listen to his Defensive Coordinator....I think he has trouble handling his own personality how is he going to handle someone else's.

Everyone is going to point to Jack Del Rio and say, he clearly resembles Todd Haley and look how good he is doing this time around. But it's also not hard to see that his fortunes have crumbled with Carr being hurt. (Yes, not many coaches would be able to weather losing your leader)

I completely understand people giving Haley a pass.....I guess i just am not one of them.

Hoover 01-02-2017 11:50 AM

Gus Bradley won't be out of work long. Still surprised he couldn't get all that defensive talent in Jacksonville to gel.

DJ's left nut 01-02-2017 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 12656094)
Gus Bradley won't be out of work long. Still surprised he couldn't get all that defensive talent in Jacksonville to gel.

Still a huge Bradley fan.

I think he'll turn around a D somewhere and get another shot. Maybe he never puts it together but I think he's a hell of a coaching talent.

FloridaMan88 01-02-2017 11:54 AM

JFC does Chuck Pagano have to go 0-16 before Irsay finally fires him?

You have Andrew Luck as your QB and you play in a division that was just won a by a team rotating between Brock Assmuncher and Tom Savage at QB.

Mosbonian 01-02-2017 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 12656094)

The talk around town was that he lost the locker room early in the year and once he canned the Offensive Coordinator people lost faith in him.

And some of the players seemed like they wanted to "run the team". One that some people point out is Allen Robinson and his Marshawn Lynch impersonation the first of December.

Then there was the October incidents of the players taking to social media to criticize the fans. The players were expressing their displeasure at the fans for booing during one of the home games. (The Jags were 2-5 at the time)

O.city 01-02-2017 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc (Post 12656039)
I don't think Luck will ever be as good as Manning or Brady, which is the standard he's held too, but he's still a top 5 quarterback who's just entering his prime.

A top 5 qb? I don't think so.

Top 5 qbs don't do things he does. It's not just losing games, he's in a bad situation sure. But they lose games because he throws alot of interceptions.

O.city 01-02-2017 12:01 PM

Some guys just aren't head coaches. It's so much more than scheme at that point. Bradley seems like a great dc, poor HC to me.

I tend to think Haley is the same, but I'm not sure either say on him

FloridaMan88 01-02-2017 12:03 PM

Quote:

Remember Manning and the Colts went though some growing pains and struggles early in his career after some initial success under Jim Mora.

I think the right HC/offensive coaching staff will win big with Andrew Luck.

Mosbonian 01-02-2017 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12656097)
Still a huge Bradley fan.

I think he'll turn around a D somewhere and get another shot. Maybe he never puts it together but I think he's a hell of a coaching talent.

I liked Bradley....seemed like a great guy. But to me he is the Defensive equivalent of Todd Haley in that he is not a great offensive mind.

If you put Todd Haley in as the Head Coach and made Bradley his Defensive Coordinator that might be scary. Bradley's low key persona would offset Haley's more fiery personality.

Chief Northman 01-02-2017 12:04 PM

Pagano is terrible. He is a players coach and builds strong relationships with his teams, but sadly I think the sympathy he received while battling cancer clouded peoples estimations of him as a head coach. Gets outschemed every game and fails to address roster problems that stare him in the face. It is apparent many players enjoy playing for him though....

BryanBusby 01-02-2017 12:06 PM

Pagano wore out his tragedy card awhile ago.

He's just not a good coach and has been dealt the hand of a shitty manager. Luck is good yes, but the hype with him coming out was too much and he had expectations that are hard as hell to meet.

Mile High Mania 01-02-2017 12:12 PM

I could see McDaniels getting interest from Indy, should the fire Pagano. And, I don't want Chuck in Denver, I think he's lame.

One rumor for Denver was Vance Joseph, and I could be mistaken... think he is who they wanted before Kubiak agreed. I can't recall. *edit* Sounds like they wanted him to replace Del Rio a few years ago and Cincy said no.

DJ's left nut 01-02-2017 12:16 PM

Is Andrew Luck more Brett Favre than Tom Brady?

Could he evolve into the latter?

Luck makes some truly incredible plays but he absolutely makes some head scratchers that cost his team ballgames. Both guys are QBs that you'd love to have but there's a definite tier there. You can and most likely will win a championship with Brett Favre at some point in a full career but you're a clear favorite every year with Brady (or Manning when Manning was at his peak).

Luck's just a little too aggressive; a little too risky sometimes. And this has become a league designed to trick you; to fool you into that critical mistake. That's what's going to make the Pats such a brutal matchup, especially for the Chiefs. They're not going to give us 2-3 turnovers. I'd honestly be surprised if we grab a single turnover from them. Brady's just too damn smart.

Luck has a step to take before he gets there. He can be fooled. And he's not a young man anymore. Alex Smith came to KC for his age 29 season - Andrew Luck will be in his age 28 season next year. There's a good chance that we've seen the peak of Luck's evolution.

Aaron Rodgers can mask a shitload of deficiencies and make his team good. Brady can as well. Hell, Wilson's done that this year. Can Luck? Maybe...but maybe not.

Sure, it's a bit of a 'hot take' but there's a real question to be asked there.

Mile High Mania 01-02-2017 12:19 PM

Luck and the Colts are interesting... 11-5 during the first 3 years, and 8-8 the last 2 years.

Pagano needs to go - he's maxed out what he can do there and they need to flip the script before Luck is Rivers.

They are in a division they should own for a decade, lost out last year with Luck's injury and this year because of ineptitude and lack of heart.

DJ's left nut 01-02-2017 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 12656180)
They are in a division they should own for a decade, lost out last year with Luck's injury and this year because of ineptitude and lack of heart.

They may have lost the driver's seat to the Titans.

The Titans looked like a growing young squad that was flat out better than the Colts for parts of last season and with a top 5 pick and another in the top 20, they could be poised to take another big step forward.

The Titans look like they're headed in a positive direction. The Colts, OTOH, employ Ryan Grigson. The only advantage the Colts have on anybody on that division anywhere in that organization is Andrew Luck.

And when you'r worse everywhere else, I think it's difficult to claim dominion over the division. I don't think they'll get that traction back.

O.city 01-02-2017 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12656198)

The Titans looked like a growing young squad that was flat out better than the Colts for parts of last season and with a top 5 pick and another in the top 20, they could be poised to take another big step forward.

The Titans look like they're headed in a positive direction. The Colts, OTOH, employ Ryan Grigson. The only advantage the Colts have on anybody on that division anywhere in that organization is Andrew Luck.

And when you'r worse everywhere else, I think it's difficult to claim dominion over the division. I don't think they'll get that traction back.

IIRC, the Tits have alot of cap space too. Could really build something nice there with an addition of a few WR's and some DBs.

I think they'd be a team that would be heavy in on EB if he hits FA as well.

Mile High Mania 01-02-2017 12:26 PM

Quote:

True - the Titans look good and should be at least 'on par' with what Indy can bring to the table, which is why Indy would be smart to cut bait with Pagano and plan accordingly. This is why I think it would make a lot of sense for McDaniels to end up in Indy.

GloucesterChief 01-02-2017 12:27 PM

Surprised David Shaw isn't getting a look to move up to the NFL. Stanford had a down year this year but he is still a solid coach.

O.city 01-02-2017 12:27 PM

People act as if Luck didn't have any weapons or whatnot on offense either. Shit, they've spent an ass ton of resources for WR's, TE's and such. The ol sucked but alot of OL's suck.

O.city 01-02-2017 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 12656208)
Surprised David Shaw isn't getting a look to move up to the NFL. Stanford had a down year this year but he is still a solid coach.

Alot of these teams are at a spot where they need more known, experienced guys.

If it were me in SF, Shaw would be at the top of my list.

Mile High Mania 01-02-2017 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12656203)
IIRC, the Tits have alot of cap space too. Could really build something nice there with an addition of a few WR's and some DBs.

I think they'd be a team that would be heavy in on EB if he hits FA as well.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

Titans have about $70M with 45 players for 2017, Colts have about $50M with 50 players.

Easy 6 01-02-2017 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12656042)
Likewise.

This

Haley should and will get another shot somewhere

He was stuck with a top 3 terrible GM and there wasnt a damn thing he could do about it

GloucesterChief 01-02-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12656213)
Alot of these teams are at a spot where they need more known, experienced guys.

If it were me in SF, Shaw would be at the top of my list.

SF ownership was the ones that picked Baalke over Harbaugh though and Shaw is a Harbaugh disciple. Might be some bad blood there.

O.city 01-02-2017 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 12656228)
SF ownership was the ones that picked Baalke over Harbaugh though and Shaw is a Harbaugh disciple. Might be some bad blood there.

Yeah, I think Shaw would tell them to **** off as well.

The 9ers job just looks awful right now.

displacedinMN 01-02-2017 12:38 PM

To Me: Haley was best with Weiss as the OC and Crennell as the DC. I could be wrong, but after that it was a cluster.

O.city 01-02-2017 12:43 PM

I'm curious who's gonna take that Rams job. Thats one I thought would be a big sought after one, but with Goff looking like ass, i'm not sure.

Frosty 01-02-2017 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 12656208)

I don't think Shaw is interested in making the move to the NFL.

Also, I wish a 10-3 season was a down year for my team, :(

GloucesterChief 01-02-2017 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 12656263)
I don't think Shaw is interested in making the move to the NFL.

Also, I wish a 10-3 season was a down year for my team, :(

I think the Rams would be a good fit for Shaw. Stanford is not a blue blood and support for the football program ebbs and flows among the fans and administration.

Mile High Mania 01-02-2017 12:50 PM

What do you think the trade price tag is for Sean Payton? I think Denver has to be considering it, but based on history... may be too much of an asking price.

MahiMike 01-02-2017 12:52 PM

Heard this morning that teams can interview playoff teams this weekend only. These guys will be busy.

displacedinMN 01-02-2017 12:53 PM

Rich Cimini
ESPN Staff Writer

Jets coach Todd Bowles said he never feared for his job. He said owner Woody Johnson "never gave me the impression in our conversations my job was in jeopardy. Obviously, he has the right to change his mind, but Woody backed me the whole time and I'm proud that he did."

GloucesterChief 01-02-2017 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 12656277)
What do you think the trade price tag is for Sean Payton? I think Denver has to be considering it, but based on history... may be too much of an asking price.

I would ask for Miller and Wolfe plus late round draft picks.

MahiMike 01-02-2017 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12656074)

Was going to post this as well. That team had 21 guys on IR. 21! And they were in every game.

I'm hoping he gets a call from Shad Khan.

Hoopsdoc 01-02-2017 01:20 PM

Quote:

Sadly, as a Colts fan, I agree. The Titans are coming on fast.

I think the Jags actually may be better, simply because of all that talent they have. That defense is LOADED. It all depends on who they get as coach. If they got Coughlin, he'd have them in the playoffs in 2 years, max.

Houston has a lot of talent too, but they need a qb.

Mile High Mania 01-02-2017 01:24 PM

The Broncos have requested to speak with Kyle... yes, the son of Mike.

Tombstone RJ 01-02-2017 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 12656360)

Love it.

FloridaMan88 01-02-2017 01:31 PM

Quote:

Didn't his father leave Denver on bad terms, i.e. being fired?

DJ's left nut 01-02-2017 01:31 PM

{shrug}

He's probably a good choice for them. Getting fired by the Browns is never a great thing to have on your resume but Belichick survived it alright...

I was never terribly impressed by him in Washington but that's just such a mess of an organization that you can't get much of a read on anything.

He's had a hell of a season this year in Atlanta and Ryan says great things about him. He didn't look so good as they were circling the drain in 2015 and he couldn't do anything to save 'em, but everybody has a blip or two.

I think he's a smart offensive mind who, like any new coach, would have to establish that he has the organizational and personnel management skills to sit in the big chair. The Donks are going to get a good coach one way or the other so his hiring wouldn't do much to move the needle for me either way. They're not going to hire Rich Kotite and who is a given to be a success? I think would be a solid hire and time will tell if it works out.

tk13 01-02-2017 01:34 PM

Quote:

It's easy to forget now, but it took Manning 6 years to even win a playoff game.

Luck has already won multiple playoff games and been to the AFC title game. And he's done it without much on defense. The QBs who are successful early, Roethlisberger, Russell Wilson, Dak this year... all of them had elite top 5 defenses behind them. Not just some of them, all of them. Luck has been asked to basically carry that entire franchise. He's never had a top defense, and recently he's had a terrible offensive line. On top of that, a terrible GM who seems to hamstring the team every chance he gets. You give him the 2013 Seahawks defense, and watch what happens.

tk13 01-02-2017 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12656211)
People act as if Luck didn't have any weapons or whatnot on offense either. Shit, they've spent an ass ton of resources for WR's, TE's and such. The ol sucked but alot of OL's suck.

Yeah, but that's understating it. They're an entirely different level of suck. There were multiple games this year where they played three rookies on the offensive line.

I'd have to go find the stat, but someone added it up a couple weeks ago. If I remember it right, Luck had started 68 games in the NFL, and had 35 different starting offensive lines.

-King- 01-02-2017 02:04 PM

Why is Sean Payton still considered a good coach? Not saying he's a bad one, but he's treading on Jeff Fisher territory with the 7-9 seasons lately. He had a good 4 year run but over his careers his team's have been more bad/average than they have been good.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Franchise 01-02-2017 02:05 PM

The Chargers have sought permission to interview Patriots DC Matt Patricia for their head-coaching vacancy.

It's Patricia's first-known interview request of 2017, but there will be more. The Rams are also believed to be interested. Patricia has done a bang-up job coordinating the Patriots' defense since 2012, but as is always the case in New England, it's tough to discern what Patricia deserves credit for, and what is simply Bill Belichick being a genius. Patricia would be a changeup from the timid, offensive-minded Mike McCoy.

FloridaMan88 01-02-2017 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12656470)
The Chargers have sought permission to interview Patriots DC Matt Patricia for their head-coaching vacancy.

It's Patricia's first-known interview request of 2017, but there will be more. The Rams are also believed to be interested. Patricia has done a bang-up job coordinating the Patriots' defense since 2012, but as is always the case in New England, it's tough to discern what Patricia deserves credit for, and what is simply Bill Belichick being a genius. Patricia would be a changeup from the timid, offensive-minded Mike McCoy.

I'd make it a requirement for Patricia to shave that shit off of his face before hiring him.

NWTF 01-02-2017 02:18 PM

Quote:

Youd think by now teams would know its the Brady Belichick combo that keeps that machine going, but it seems every couple years teams cant resit taking a chance on one of their coordinators.

I dont know what kind of head coach Patricia would make, but I do know they wont miss a beat with whoever Belichick replaces him with.

Chiefshrink 01-02-2017 02:21 PM

Quote:

McDaniels will find a new home and possibly do better the 2nd time around. Would be interesting to see him go to SF and trade for Jimmy G. Grab your popcorn.

You are damn fortunate Pioli beat McDaniels to the punch on that Cassel deal. Otherwise you would be saying Casshole in Denver.:D

Chiefshrink 01-02-2017 02:22 PM

Quote:

Suckers for the Bellichek disciples of which all have failed at HC positions so far.

KChiefs1 01-02-2017 02:25 PM

Quote:

You know that's a done deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RealSNR 01-02-2017 02:49 PM

If Smellway wants to hire guys connected to his time as a player (kubiak, and now Ratface Jr) he should hire Greg Robinson

RunKC 01-02-2017 02:49 PM

Chargers requesting permission for Patricia! Please god let the Patriot way infect them!!

DJ's left nut 01-02-2017 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12656566)
Chargers requesting permission for Patricia! Please god let the Patriot way infect them!!

I know the Broncos have already dealt with it once, but wouldn't we all rather see them get that particular brand of clap yet again?

The Chargers are harmless. Have any of us ever worked up any true hate for those guys?

I can't bring myself to wish The Patriot Way on them. That level of disdain is pretty much reserved for the Broncos and Raiders.

jjchieffan 01-02-2017 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12656575)
I know the Broncos have already dealt with it once, but wouldn't we all rather see them get that particular brand of clap yet again?

The Chargers are harmless. Have any of us ever worked up any true hate for those guys?

I can't bring myself to wish The Patriot Way on them. That level of disdain is pretty much reserved for the Broncos and Raiders.

I don't know. The Chargers have a lot of talent when healthy. If they ever overcome the injury problems, they can cause some problems for us. Healthy, they are as good as anyone in the division.