ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Questions re: a possible move to KC area (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=311380)

luv 11-07-2017 08:31 AM

Questions re: a possible move to KC area

Let's say that the boyfriend and I decided to move to the KC area. We're pretty limited on budget, so we're not looking for someplace fancy. Would absolutely love to have 3br, 2ba, and a fenced yard. A two car garage would be great, but, for our price range, I'm noticing most only have one car garages.

Anyway, I'm on sights like trulia and zillow looking around. What are some good local companies that would have houses for rent? Also, even on a limited budget, I know there are areas that we'll want to avoid. Would love something in the 470/435 area.

Not sure on a time frame, but, if it's not this Spring, then it will probably be next Spring.

And, not sure if you guys would know, but we'd also be looking for a good daycare in that area.

Any suggestions for my info gathering?

Bowser 11-07-2017 09:31 AM

All I know for sure is that fenced hard is going to send you flying over your budget.

wutamess 11-07-2017 09:31 AM

What's the price range for "limited budget"?

wutamess 11-07-2017 09:32 AM

Do people fence in their front yards anymore?

Bowser 11-07-2017 09:32 AM

The only real advice I can give is to avoid using Terry Flood and his company. I've not personally worked with him, but a number of people I've known say to avoid him like the plague.

Prison Bitch 11-07-2017 09:32 AM

Home4rent.com

I once rented my home with them for a year when I had to do a remote project. They were awesome. They help renters too - and can refer you to others

SPchief 11-07-2017 09:32 AM

If you're gonna go in that area, well most areas in KC right now. It's a huge buyers market right now. You'll get so much more value buying. 3 bed, 2 bath, youre looking at what, 1300 a month?

wutamess 11-07-2017 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPchief (Post 13204726)
If you're gonna go in that area, well most areas in KC right now. It's a huge buyers market right now. You'll get so much more value buying. 3 bed, 2 bath, youre looking at what, 1300 a month?

Wrong. Sellers market. This summer average days houses were on the market was probably less than a week. Values have skyrocketed.

SPchief 11-07-2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutamess (Post 13204729)
Wrong. Sellers market. This summer average days houses were on the market was probably less than a week. Values have skyrocketed.

Hmm, may have to look at putting my rental back up. I know a little over a year ago I couldn't get any value out of it but was able to get great value out of renting it

Hammock Parties 11-07-2017 09:41 AM

I know the name of an excellent landlord. I lived in two of his houses and had zero issues. Heating, AC, appliances, everything worked perfectly. All of his houses come with fridge, oven, washer and dryer, and both had fenced backyards.

He rents multiple properties around the KCMO area and his leases are fair and competitively priced. He also came out to my house multiple times to take care of the yard when I got lazy, and didn't charge me. M'fer cleaned my gutters for free. LMAO

If you'd like I can PM you.

luv 11-07-2017 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 13204721)
All I know for sure is that fenced hard is going to send you flying over your budget.

Damned typos. :)

luv 11-07-2017 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPchief (Post 13204726)

We're not to the point where we're ready to buy yet, though.

luv 11-07-2017 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13204741)
I know the name of an excellent landlord. I lived in two of his houses and had zero issues. Heating, AC, appliances, everything worked perfectly. All of his houses come with fridge, oven, washer and dryer, and both had fenced backyards.

He rents multiple properties around the KCMO area and his leases are fair and competitively priced. He also came out to my house multiple times to take care of the yard when I got lazy, and didn't charge me. M'fer cleaned my gutters for free. LMAO

Sure. I'd like to at least see the type of stuff that's available.

luv 11-07-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutamess (Post 13204722)
What's the price range for "limited budget"?

Well, we'd like to stay under $850, but anything I've seen that I think would be halfway decent is at least $950. :(

We're not opposed to duplexes either. We could go down to 2 br if the place is big enough, but definitely need 2ba.

cooper barrett 11-07-2017 09:47 AM

But you live in the hood.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13204741)

Bowser 11-07-2017 09:49 AM

Townhomes and condos have exploded in popularity in KC, as have apartments.

Hammock Parties 11-07-2017 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13204755)
But you live in the hood.

Waldo isn't the hood. Plus, he has houses all over.

cooper barrett 11-07-2017 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 13204753)
Well, we'd like to stay under $850, but anything I've seen that I think would be halfway decent is at least $950. :(

We're not opposed to duplexes either. We could go down to 2 br if the place is big enough, but definitely need 2ba.

Do you have kids? firearms?

http://www.gingersoftware.com/conten...Budget_POD.jpg

cooper barrett 11-07-2017 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13204761)
Waldo isn't the hood. Plus, he has houses all over.

Sorry hampster panties but I always thought that Waldo ended at Oak not Holmes. I'd guess your in the gray area.

Waldo+ Gregory to 91st Street and State Line to Holmes

Mr_Tomahawk 11-07-2017 10:31 AM

Spring Hill.

Lower cost of living and minutes away from Olathe/Overland Park.

Hammock Parties 11-07-2017 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13204812)
Sorry hampster panties but I always thought that Waldo ended at Oak not Holmes. I'd guess your in the gray area.

Waldo+ Gregory to 91st Street and State Line to Holmes

I would say I live about five blocks from the hood. ROFL

I've never had an issue living here, though. Apart from the brats next door...

Dartgod 11-07-2017 10:43 AM

I lived in Waldo for about 10 years, 1988-1998 or thereabouts. It's a decent area. I had my golf clubs stolen out of my car once, but I blame myself for being a dumbass and forgetting to lock it.

The Bunk 11-07-2017 10:44 AM

Quote:

All of this. The market is approaching 2008 level of crazy.

mr. tegu 11-07-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Correct. In the last six months two houses on my street sold. One sold the first day and the other the second day. Both buyers had to pay over asking.

We bought five years ago and our next door neighbor paid 90k more than us about six months ago. They actually bought it from people that were only there about two years and those people paid 50k more than us when they bought about two and a half years ago.

cooper barrett 11-07-2017 10:53 AM

I have 3 br 2 bath house in PV that I rent only to med students.
Been a nice ride as the houses have skyrocketed and I have a waiting list.

My 3b/2b in PV rentals bring $1.5-$1.8K rent. I have blown out classic Nichol's cape cod for $2.5.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 13204757)
Townhomes and condos have exploded in popularity in KC, as have apartments.

luv 11-07-2017 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13204772)

I have a soon-to-be 2 year old.

MahiMike 11-07-2017 12:06 PM

I used to rent in Independence back in the day. Decent n'hood with fenced in yard. Cheap.

cooper barrett 11-07-2017 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 13204955)
I have a soon-to-be 2 year old.

That will be to your advantage if school district is not an issue

scho63 11-07-2017 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 13204753)

:eek::eek::eek:

Damn it's cheap in the midwest!

cooper barrett 11-07-2017 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 13204989)
I used to rent in Independence back in the day. Decent n'hood with fenced in yard. Cheap.

291 and Truman rd, 24 hiway area would be a good start

I redid lot of houses in that area. just looked Still over $1K

BWillie 11-07-2017 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 13204996)

Cost of living in Phoenix and Kansas City is quite comparable.

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/...alculator.aspx

Only a 1.91% difference.

Prison Bitch 11-07-2017 12:31 PM

Wait u have a baby but no ring?

U need to hang out on the Claynus dating mega thread bonanza

Valiant 11-07-2017 12:33 PM

Independence fort Osage area would get you all of that.

cooper barrett 11-07-2017 12:55 PM

Really, that's great idea, I wish I would have thought of that...

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13205008)
291 and Truman rd, 24 hiway area would be a good start

I redid lot of houses in that area. just looked Still over $1K

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 13205029)
Independence fort Osage area would get you all of that.

mnchiefsguy 11-07-2017 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 13204747)
We're not to the point where we're ready to buy yet, though.

We live in Raytown just a couple of minutes from 470. Our mortgage is about 400 bucks cheaper than what houses are renting for in our area.

Most houses fitting your description seem to be between 1000 and 1300 a month for rent.

Our neighborhood is older, but it is quiet and has lots of nice trees :). Lots of houses in our area are of the 3br 2bath variety, most with two car garages.

Zillow does say it is a buyers market for KC, so maybe that will help push rent prices lower as more people look to buy.

Good Luck!

19now11 11-07-2017 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 13204640)
Let's say that the boyfriend and I decided to move to the KC area. We're pretty limited on budget, so we're not looking for someplace fancy. Would absolutely love to have 3br, 2ba, and a fenced yard. A two car garage would be great, but, for our price range, I'm noticing most only have one car garages.

Anyway, I'm on sights like trulia and zillow looking around. What are some good local companies that would have houses for rent? Also, even on a limited budget, I know there are areas that we'll want to avoid. Would love something in the 470/435 area.

Not sure on a time frame, but, if it's not this Spring, then it will probably be next Spring.

And, not sure if you guys would know, but we'd also be looking for a good daycare in that area.

Any suggestions for my info gathering?

dont move to kc. they hate transplants. me and sandy found out the hard way.

cooper barrett 11-07-2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19now11 (Post 13205136)

What did you do? Move to OP? ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Have you met "our" Sandy yet?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/searc...nduser&u=23835

luv 11-07-2017 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 13205024)
Wait u have a baby but no ring?

U need to hang out on the Claynus dating mega thread bonanza

With my baby daddy. Thanks, though.

tooge 11-07-2017 03:15 PM

Quote:

**** off! Go back to where you came from:)

BryanBusby 11-07-2017 04:21 PM

You'd be best off looking somewhere that's a ways out.

With that budget, you're not going to get a very desirable area. If you're willing to settle for something like Oak Grove, Peculiar or Butler you can get what you're looking for in your price range and a safer area.

stevieray 11-07-2017 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 13205185)
With my baby daddy.

... kind of disrespectful to your boyfriend.

good luck in your search.

sedated 11-07-2017 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13205384)

With that budget, you're not going to get a very desirable area. If you're willing to settle for something like Oak Grove, Peculiar or Butler you can get what you're looking for in your price range and a safer area.

This is what I was thinking. In places I've looked you couldn't get a 2BR for under $1000, much less a 3BR with a yard.

cooper barrett 11-07-2017 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13205384)

your not going to find that in Pec, rentals are high 2 bd 2 bath $1050 duplex

3 bedroom trailer $900 mo house $1150 Belton

duncan_idaho 11-07-2017 08:35 PM

You might look in the Red Bridge area (south of 435, north of 135th street, between state line to west and Holmes to east).

There's a variety of stuff there, and it's a pretty nice/safe area (unless you were a 50-year-old white man walking a dog along Indian Creek).

My wife grew up in that neighborhood, which is pretty nice and has good elementary schools.

My brother in law lives just north of 435, at 99th and Wornall. It's a nice little family neighborhood and the homes are reasonable to buy, so renting shouldn't be bad if you can find a spot. I'd look west of wornall, south of 85th.

As far as daycare, we go to a place called Punkin Patch. Love it! My twins (who just turned 2) have a blast, they're willing to do daily rates, and the people are sweet and caring. It's a well run, not for profit that's an outreach of the Baptist church (though not religiously affiliated).

Best of luck in the search and move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cooper barrett 11-07-2017 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13205745)
You might look in the Red Bridge area (south of 435, north of 135th street, between state line to west and Holmes to east). I didn't see anything except to the east in terrace lakes and it fits the bill if you're not picky. It's been the market for 30 days:hmmm::hmmm::hmmm: $1000
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...54_rect/14_zm/

There's a variety of stuff there, and it's a pretty nice/safe area (unless you were a 50-year-old white man walking a dog along Indian Creek). Like the KCPD will solve a bar owner's death....

My wife grew up in that neighborhood, which is pretty nice and has good elementary schools.

My brother in law lives just north of 435, at 99th and Wornall. It's a nice little family neighborhood and the homes are reasonable to buy, so renting shouldn't be bad if you can find a spot. I'd look west of wornall, south of 85th. Everything there except a dump are all over $1K

As far as daycare, we go to a place called Punkin Patch. Love it! My twins (who just turned 2) have a blast, they're willing to do daily rates, and the people are sweet and caring. It's a well run, not for profit that's an outreach of the Baptist church (though not religiously affiliated).

Best of luck in the search and move.

This is the area of SKC which while mixed is decent and under$1K

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...32_rect/12_zm/

Further south, 2-3 bed 2 baths are scare for under $1K

Checking the metro there are only a few "listed" houses for under $!K and if you don't want to be in high rental areas ( not that I don't like mixed areas) you're going to have to go up near $1100. and you're still not in the nicer areas.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/ap...356109480.html

I am afraid you're going to need to consider 2 bedrooms and 1 or 1 1/2 baths and plan on $1K for that.:(:(:(:(

19now11 11-08-2017 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 13205261)
**** off! Go back to where you came from:)

could be either east or west right bitch? ya that right/ **** ur coast... o wait u aint seen the ocean? ya.... im an idiot. kill urself bitch

BryanBusby 11-08-2017 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13205492)
your not going to find that in Pec, rentals are high 2 bd 2 bath $1050 duplex

3 bedroom trailer $900 mo house $1150 Belton

Prculiar has shot up than and no way I could ever advocate living in Belton. Belton sucks.

bevischief 11-08-2017 01:50 AM

Nothing in my complex. But I know he has other locations. If you like PM your details.

cooper barrett 11-08-2017 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13206012)
Prculiar has shot up than and no way I could ever advocate living in Belton. Belton sucks.

Western Belton has come a long way but Raymore is a nicer area

I have a rental and some acreage that is about to pop on the north edge of Peculiar because of the air force base re usage, Intermodal freight, and Honeywell complex, and now the "Gateway Village" soccer venue/ shopping mall. there isn't much to rent.

I will believe phases 2 and 3 when I see them

This is what is going up in Belton near Loch Lyod.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...53_rect/12_zm/

BryanBusby 11-08-2017 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13206053)
Western Belton has come a long way but Raymore is a nicer area

I have a rental and some acreage that is about to pop on the north edge of Peculiar because of the air force base re usage, Intermodal freight, and Honeywell complex, and now the "Gateway Village" soccer venue/ shopping mall. there isn't much to rent.

I will believe phases 2 and 3 when I see them

This is what is going up in Belton near Loch Lyod.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...53_rect/12_zm/

Eh. Too much crime, traffic, meth heads and mish mash of shopping districts trying really hard to be Lee's Summit.

Mediocre schools and terrible city services. No ****ing thanks.

Raymore today vs 20 years ago is quite different. The city has no idea how to handle all the growth and will have issues in result.

cooper barrett 11-08-2017 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19now11 (Post 13206006)
could be either east or west right bitch? ya that right/ **** ur coast... o wait u aint seen the ocean? ya.... im an idiot. kill urself bitch

Probably one ob thm thre marigahoochie growerez frehms Norphem Californicationa trin 2z pulootz ur wzs de livez.

https://nerdophiles.files.wordpress....t-lindsey.jpeg

I bet you bought in South Overland Park and, by chance, were you out in the front yard? Did you look just like this when you met the new neighbors? You're ballin man, that pic has like at 15K likes already. Even "the Donald" posted it on Twitter...https://voiceofniagara.files.wordpre...ilet.jpg?w=150

So you moved to OP and you don't drive a Bimmer?* Lets get this straight: You bought a house bin in Overland Park and the Realtor didn't tell you about driving a Bimmer?* (*a Bimmer is a BMW Car) But you knew that. right?

What's that? Excuse me? Did you say you do drive a BMW?

I think we may be on to something...That's a ****ing Toyota Camey Wagon ( I've never in my life...) and look: It's diesel too

https://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/b...oem_2_1280.jpg

Your neighbors don't mind newcomers, outsiders, or even people from Northern, CA. They were just trying to do their best, you know, to be polite and not point and laugh at you, and your BMW 330d.

No! Wait, you didn't introduce your dog? Did you? Oh crap...What? You made a video? of your dog? the one you brought from Northern CA?****, now i'm ROFLROFLROFLROFL

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wl7fUF61PWs?start=6&end=52" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Welcome the the neighborhood. I see you have been "neg'ed' by some of the best. Many more happy returns....

007 11-08-2017 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 13204996)

Try $819 per month for a 5 bedroom 2.5 bath and full finished basement. Tried to sell it a few years back and people were saying we were asking too much for it. It was the best value in the city per foot.

cooper barrett 11-08-2017 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 13206071)
Try $819 per month for a 5 bedroom 2.5 bath and full finished basement. Tried to sell it a few years back and people were saying we were asking too much for it. It was the best value in the city per foot.

Everything is subjective w/ RE prices. I had a house I couldn't bribe the appraiser with enough money to get a decent price. Within weeks he did a house for me that came in $25K above my wildest dreams.

The reason was "There were no comps in the immediate radius to pull from so he had to pull from other sub divisions/ areas which traditionally sold for more money, Plus the draw for the Fort Osage schools over Independence. I scratched my head: Why a small 3 bedroom with a weird floor plan would sell for more money that a bigger, newer house, nicer neighborhood.

I sold the smaller house for full appraised value right away and after a few months I got lucky and got a cash buyer for the other, therefor no appraisal.

I am always surprised at who buys what for how much. Oh and the feedback from guests. Some of the silliest shit I have ever heard.

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-08-2017 07:12 AM

Quote:

Only the Los Gatos trash such as yourself and Sandy. Everyone else is potentially acceptable.

luv 11-08-2017 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 13205400)
... kind of disrespectful to your boyfriend.

good luck in your search.

I guess I could have been wordier and said that my boyfriend is my son's father. My apologies if that offended you. We joke around about that, too. He knows I love him and would never intentionally disrespect him. Funny that you get on to me, but not PB for the implications of his post. Oh well.

tooge 11-08-2017 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19now11 (Post 13206006)

LOL, that was tongue in cheek, hence the smiley. I lived in Socal for 4 years for college and in the Bay area for two, so yeah, I've seen the ocean. It's beautiful out there, but I wouldn't want to live there again.

Bearcat 11-08-2017 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 13205097)
We live in Raytown just a couple of minutes from 470. Our mortgage is about 400 bucks cheaper than what houses are renting for in our area.

Most houses fitting your description seem to be between 1000 and 1300 a month for rent.

Our neighborhood is older, but it is quiet and has lots of nice trees :). Lots of houses in our area are of the 3br 2bath variety, most with two car garages.

Zillow does say it is a buyers market for KC, so maybe that will help push rent prices lower as more people look to buy.

Good Luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 13206071)

Yeah, I think buying is more doable than some realize, especially in the midwest. My first mortgage was about $800/month for 3 beds/2 baths... and hell, you could add on a home warranty for about $40/month to reduce the risk if/when something big breaks (and the seller usually buys one to cover the first year).

And if you have a good realtor, they can work some magic to deal with little to nothing down or moving other costs into the price of the house, etc. And even just 2 years at $850/month is $20k that you'll never see again, so just breaking even on selling it is a pretty big deal.

Not that it's as risk free as renting, of course, but considering you could even manage to lose $10k over 2 years on buying/selling and still come out on top of renting.... :shrug:

BigRedChief 11-08-2017 08:29 AM

Whatever it takes to get out of Springfield, GTFO for your sons sake. He just will not have the opportunities in life if you stay. That town hasn't changed. It's not going to change. Just because there is at least "some" positive activity taking place around town, its not enough.

I was born and raised there. My son was born there. I got out at 18 years old, My son at 2 months. My life is tremendously better because of that decision. We are friends on social media, you can see my life. My son is in school to get his doctorate in Astrophysics. No way that happens if we would have stayed in Springfield.

Whatever it takes, do it for your son.

Hammock Parties 11-08-2017 09:06 AM

Seconding the above. My cousin was born in Springfield and is probably going to die there.

luv 11-08-2017 09:29 AM

I've lived in Springfield all of my life (I'll be 41 next week). I'm fine where I'm at in my career, but I can do what I do anywhere (why I chose the field). Paralegals actually make more in KC area. My boyfriend is a chef, and the opportunities for him here are pretty much zilch. He thought about Kentucky when he went to Lexington to see his mom when she was in the hospital. Luckily, he has a friend who moved up to Lee's Summit, and we went to visit him before the Monday night game last week. Bryan had never been to KC other than one Chiefs game last year. Turns out, he liked it. He started researching jobs in that area, and then he asked me how I'd feel about a possible move. Hence, the information gathering. I'm looking for a rental for now, just because I don't want to go through buying a house before we learn the area better or decide that it's just not for us.

srvy 11-08-2017 11:35 AM

We will have a new unnecessary airport. If you move here you will discover we love building things we dont need and neglect the things we do.

Dartgod 11-08-2017 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13206155)
Whatever it takes to get out of Springfield, GTFO for your sons sake. He just will not have the opportunities in life if you stay. That town hasn't changed. It's not going to change. Just because there is at least "some" positive activity taking place around town, its not enough.

I was born and raised there. My son was born there. I got out at 18 years old, My son at 2 months. My life is tremendously better because of that decision. We are friends on social media, you can see my life. My son is in school to get his doctorate in Astrophysics. No way that happens if we would have stayed in Springfield.

What a bunch of losers...
  • David Glass: Former CEO of Walmart, Owner/CEO of the KC Royals, graduated from Missouri State University in Springfield
  • John Morris: Founder/CEO of Bass Pro Shops, graduated from Drury Univeristy in Springfield, net worth $3.9 Billion
  • Charles F. O'Reilly (father) and Charles H. O'Reilly (son): founders of O'Reilly Auto Parts in 1957, more than 4,970 stores in 47 states
  • Payne Stewart: 2 time winner of the USGA's United States Open, 1 time winner of the PGA Championship
  • Bob Barker: Game show host, family moved to Springfield in 1931, graduated from Drury University, kicked Adam Sandler's ass in Happy Gilmore.
  • John Goodman: Actor, attended Missouri State University on a football scholarship, survived multiple deaths
  • Brad Pitt: Actor, grew up in Springfield, Academy Award winner, used to **** Jennifer Aniston

cooper barrett 11-08-2017 04:38 PM

Quote:

You must be speaking of another Springfield.
http://static-media.fxx.com/img/FX_N...sons_07_19.jpg

Funny, my cousin grew up there, Nixa actually, his dad was the VP at SMSU- Springfield (now MSU) It happens to be a very highly ranked education studies.
He's a grad of MSU. He is/was? the youngest CPA in MO history and now is a VP of sales for a medical auditing company. Boys making bank too. Oh and by the way: Both of my daughters graduated from MSU too...I guess they are all losers. Dammed If I would just known this earlier I could have saved myself at least a quarter million bucks. **** me, I just can't do anything right....

But my girls both have Masters degrees, and both teach school, one in KC Metro, the other in Republic. My youngest will soon be getting her Doctorate in Education. My son in law has a Doctorate in Education and a Doctorate of Music. Can you guess where he graduated from??? MSU Springfield, MO.

luv 11-08-2017 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13206894)
You must be speaking of another Springfield.

Funny, my cousin grew up there, Nixa actually, his dad was the VP at SWMS- Springfield (now MSU) It happens to be a very highly ranked education studies.
He's a grad of SWMS. He is/was? the youngest CPA in MO history and now is a VP of sales for a medical auditing company. Boys making bank too. Oh and by the way: Both of my daughters graduated from SWMS too...I guess they are all losers. Dammed If I would just known this earlier I could have saved myself at least a quarter million bucks. **** me, I just can't do anything right....

But my girls both have Masters degrees, and both teach school, one in KC Metro, the other in Republic. My youngest will soon be getting her Doctorate in Education. My son in law has a Doctorate in Education and a Doctorate of Music. Can you guess where he graduated from??? SWMS Springfield, MO.

That would be SMSU. Southwest Missouri State University. It is now MSU. Missouri State University.

cooper barrett 11-08-2017 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 13206234)
I've lived in Springfield all of my life (I'll be 41 next week). I'm fine where I'm at in my career, but I can do what I do anywhere (why I chose the field). Paralegals actually make more in KC area. My boyfriend is a chef, and the opportunities for him here are pretty much zilch. He thought about Kentucky when he went to Lexington to see his mom when she was in the hospital. Luckily, he has a friend who moved up to Lee's Summit, and we went to visit him before the Monday night game last week. Bryan had never been to KC other than one Chiefs game last year. Turns out, he liked it. He started researching jobs in that area, and then he asked me how I'd feel about a possible move. Hence, the information gathering. I'm looking for a rental for now, just because I don't want to go through buying a house So before we learn the area better or decide that it's just not for us.

So all the info I prepared regarding renting vs buying was wasted? **** me!!!!ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL I already had most of it that I put together for my kids, I just fine tuned the numbers. I post it incase, well, you want to read it.

Bryan have any formal training? Experience?

Let me guess, Chef de roll throwing?ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

https://livability.com/sites/default...08TB5830_3.jpg

BlackHelicopters 11-08-2017 04:51 PM

Springfield is a city with progressive leaders and the state’s largest university. Bright outlook for the city.

BWillie 11-08-2017 04:54 PM

Quote:

This is a little intense. There are a half a million people in the Springfield area. I have a few friends from Springfield. Some moved, some stayed. They are all doing fine. There is actually pretty decent growth in the Springfield Metropolitan area.

cooper barrett 11-08-2017 04:58 PM

You stole my idea,

Nice to know my kids are in such good company.

Wish I would have known Goodman went to SMSU now MSU

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 13206433)
What a bunch of losers...
  • David Glass: Former CEO of Walmart, Owner/CEO of the KC Royals, graduated from Missouri State University in Springfield
  • John Morris: Founder/CEO of Bass Pro Shops, graduated from Drury Univeristy in Springfield, net worth $3.9 Billion
  • Charles F. O'Reilly (father) and Charles H. O'Reilly (son): founders of O'Reilly Auto Parts in 1957, more than 4,970 stores in 47 states
  • Payne Stewart: 2 time winner of the USGA's United States Open, 1 time winner of the PGA Championship
  • Bob Barker: Game show host, family moved to Springfield in 1931, graduated from Drury University, kicked Adam Sandler's ass in Happy Gilmore.
  • John Goodman: Actor, attended Missouri State University on a football scholarship, survived multiple deaths
  • Brad Pitt: Actor, grew up in Springfield, Academy Award winner, used to **** Jennifer Aniston

cooper barrett 11-08-2017 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 13206914)
That would be SMSU. Southwest Missouri State University. It is now MSU. Missouri State University.

I have always had trouble with calling it that. Maybe that's how it should have been?

All I know is "My checks cashed". ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

duncan_idaho 11-08-2017 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 13206920)
Springfield is a city with progressive leaders and the state’s largest university. Bright outlook for the city.

Second part is not accurate. Mizzou is still the largest university in the state. Freshman class this year was still bigger than Springfield's, and there are still 20 percent more students enrolled in undergrad and grad programs.

BigRedChief 11-08-2017 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13206928)
This is a little intense. There are a half a million people in the Springfield area. I have a few friends from Springfield. Some moved, some stayed. They are all doing fine. There is actually pretty decent growth in the Springfield Metropolitan area.

I grew up there. 90% of my family lives there now and has for at least 6 generations. I obviously follow their lives and what's happening in the city. I've seen a lot of the world. Lived in many places. It's just my Springfield experience and opinion.

BlackHelicopters 11-08-2017 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13206958)
Second part is not accurate. Mizzou is still the largest university in the state. Freshman class this year was still bigger than Springfield's, and there are still 20 percent more students enrolled in undergrad and grad programs.

Link?

BryanBusby 11-08-2017 08:21 PM

Buying a house isn't really advantageous unless you intend to stay at that one spot for around a decade, at least. That's befpre mentioning the amount of money you will burn right after buying.

I would almost always suggest renting over buying for awhile until you're sure that area is where you want to stay.

Beyond that, market is god awful for buyers right now. It definitely isn't going to sustain and without veerinng DC, it's best to wait unless you're selling. The bottom is going to fall out again.

duncan_idaho 11-08-2017 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 13207104)
Link?

https://news.missouristate.edu/2017/...llment-record/

^SMS enrollment figures. Have to manually add the grad and undergrad figures.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/...pected-decline

^ Mizzou figures. Same applies.

Mizzou's graduate school is, as probably expected, much larger, as it it is a research, land grant school, and those have more graduate options.

Randallflagg 11-08-2017 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 13204820)
Spring Hill.

Lower cost of living and minutes away from Olathe/Overland Park.

I have to agree here. Spring Hill has really shot up. I'd recommend Olathe, but damn! Things have went sky high around here - and I wouldn't waste any time in Overland Park....it's worse.

BWillie 11-08-2017 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13207212)
Buying a house isn't really advantageous unless you intend to stay at that one spot for around a decade, at least. That's befpre mentioning the amount of money you will burn right after buying.

I would almost always suggest renting over buying for awhile until you're sure that area is where you want to stay.

Beyond that, market is god awful for buyers right now. It definitely isn't going to sustain and without veerinng DC, it's best to wait unless you're selling. The bottom is going to fall out again.

That isn't true. That's only true if you are a sheep and go for a 30 year mortgage like everyone else.

mnchiefsguy 11-08-2017 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 13207104)
Link?

First link off of google:

https://collegestats.org/colleges/missouri/largest/

MSU has had some fantastic growth in the last 5-10 years, but not quite enough to overtake Mizzou.

BigRedChief 11-09-2017 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13206203)
Seconding the above. My cousin was born in Springfield and is probably going to die there.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;Don&#39;t be afraid to give up the good to go for the great.&quot; - John D. Rockefeller <a href="http://t.co/NlgqA2zJDC">http://t.co/NlgqA2zJDC</a> <a href="http://t.co/6IrFKOpX1P">pic.twitter.com/6IrFKOpX1P</a></p>&mdash; Jesse Torres (@jstorres) <a href="https://twitter.com/jstorres/status/563976918924419072?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 7, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BryanBusby 11-09-2017 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13207334)
That isn't true. That's only true if you are a sheep and go for a 30 year mortgage like everyone else.

A vast majority, especially first time home owners, do. So that makes your rebuttal pointless.

My point stands.

Pushead2 11-09-2017 02:14 AM

I wish my rent or mortgage was under $1k

:(