ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs If you could sign Marcus Peters tomorrow.. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=313385)

pugsnotdrugs19 01-20-2018 07:12 PM

If you could sign Marcus Peters tomorrow..

to a 5-year $90M contract, would you want the Chiefs to do it?

I bring this up because it is an incredibly tough choice the Chiefs are having to ponder now. The highest paid corner in the league, Josh Norman, makes $15M per year. I am only estimating, but I would bet that extending Peters will take roughly $18M per year.

I think I would actually do it if I was Veach, and here is why. The sooner we can get it out of the way, the better. We're just buying back prime years. If they extend him now for 5 seasons, he will be 30 years old during the last season of the contract, his 9th NFL season.

Despite the occasional on-field antics, this kid has forced 25 turnovers (19 INTs, 6 FFs) in his first three regular seasons (46 games). TWENTY-FIVE. Absolutely incredible. Good for a turnover more than every other game. He's also had 2 INTs in his 4 playoff games.

I thought after the Jets game, when all hell had broke loose, that we should trade him. But, it seems like his teammates love him, so I don't think he is a 'cancer' by any means. Just very competitive.

Thoughts?

Hoover 01-20-2018 07:13 PM

Yep. It will look like a steal by the end of free agency

BigRedChief 01-20-2018 07:17 PM

Yes, without a doubt. There are very few corners in the NFL that can cover good WR's without committing PI on every play.

NJChiefsFan 01-20-2018 07:20 PM

If I'm the Chiefs I sign him to whatever contract we think we can that doesn't break us. I'm not concerned with his character issues.

RunKC 01-20-2018 07:24 PM

His agent would not let him sign it

Easy 6 01-20-2018 07:26 PM

I would, just imagine this year without him

Every slapdick QB in the league could've sliced us up like a frog in jr high science class... he was flirting with disaster at one point, but the benching really seemed to ground him

He will always be a hotheaded mfer, and he'll almost surely have more little incidents down the road... but as long as he can stay dialed in for the most part, he is an easy top 5 corner

He wants to be accepted, the more heat he takes over the protests or whatever, the worse it will get... I served in the Army with a guy exactly like him in sooo many ways

Talk to him, work with him, try to understand him, cut some slack here and there... and he'll continue being great for us

Hog's Gone Fishin 01-20-2018 07:33 PM

Yep, keep him away from a Raiders uniform.

siberian khatru 01-20-2018 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 13372351)
If I'm the Chiefs I sign him to whatever contract we think we can that doesn't break us. I'm not concerned with his character issues.

+1

DaneMcCloud 01-20-2018 07:36 PM

In a heartbeat.

After his fourth year in that contract, Mahomes deal would be up and at that point, the Chiefs could move on from Peters from a cap perspective if need be.

Chief Roundup 01-20-2018 07:37 PM

We are already in cap hell. We cannot conceivably do something like this now. Maybe next season.

The Franchise 01-20-2018 07:39 PM

Yeah. Easy decision

pugsnotdrugs19 01-20-2018 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 13372382)
We are already in cap hell. We cannot conceivably do something like this now. Maybe next season.

Not true. Cap space jumps to $83M in 2019. They're going to have $25-30M for 2018 come March. An extension wouldn't change Peters 2018 cap number much at all.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-20-2018 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 13372360)
His agent would not let him sign it

I think the agent would sign off on it in a heartbeat. Peters would be the one to maybe convince IMO if he thinks he should get something crazy annually.

BigRedChief 01-20-2018 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 13372382)

we cut Ford, DJ, Hali and trade smith that is $42 million in cap space.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 01-20-2018 07:51 PM

Because we haven't overpaid defensive players numerous times in the last few years?

Learn from the Patriots.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-20-2018 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigeRRUppeRRcut (Post 13372415)
Because we haven't overpaid defensive players numerous times in the last few years?

Learn from the Patriots.

Stupid as ****.

The Patriots have paid several key defensive players the last few years. They've paid them handsomely.

The only thing the Chiefs did wrong was not extending Berry or Houston early, which is exactly what I'm suggesting they do.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 01-20-2018 07:56 PM

You want to give him 18 million a year when gilmore was offered 13/year for 5 seasons.

These top heavy contracts need to stop.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-20-2018 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13372414)
we cut Ford, DJ, Hali and trade smith that is $42 million in cap space.

Yep but even beyond that, 2018 cap space won't change much as a result of an extension. When LDT got his last March, it only added a couple million to his 2017 cap number even though he signed for $8-9M per year.

KC is set to have over $80M in cap space for 2019, so it's not an issue then either. They should try to hammer the deal out.

KC_Connection 01-20-2018 07:57 PM

Obviously.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-20-2018 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigeRRUppeRRcut (Post 13372422)
You want to give him 18 million a year when gilmore was offered 13/year for 5 seasons.

These top heavy contracts need to stop.

By the Patriots... LMAO

Peters is a far, far better player than Gilmore. This is how it works, bruh. Peters is getting PAID. And guess what? Jalen Ramsey will get even more.

Quesadilla Joe 01-20-2018 07:59 PM

There seems to be so many good corners coming out nowadays I don't think I would pay Peters that. That's almost franchise QB money.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 01-20-2018 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13372427)
By the Patriots... LMAO

Peters is a far, far better player than Gilmore. This is how it works, bruh. Peters is getting PAID. And guess what? Jalen Ramsey will get even more.

You want to invest a large amount in one player and underpay somewhere else. Foolish.

You could pay for Gilmore and Casey Hayward for that price.

The Bad Guy 01-20-2018 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigeRRUppeRRcut (Post 13372434)
You want to invest a large amount in one player and underpay somewhere else. Foolish.

You live in an alternate ****ing universe.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-20-2018 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigeRRUppeRRcut (Post 13372434)

If you're saying I'd rather spend $18M on Peters than $20.6M on Alex Smith, then yes. **** yes, I would.

GayFrogs 01-20-2018 08:07 PM

We can't really learn from the patriots, given that we have a reeruned DC who can't adjust we have to have superior talent.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 01-20-2018 08:08 PM

Comparing the most expensive position to make a point.

Fail harder.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 01-20-2018 08:09 PM

Where are those dipshits that criticized me for being against the Houston max contract now? God I would love to read that thread again.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-20-2018 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigeRRUppeRRcut (Post 13372442)
Comparing the most expensive position to make a point.

Fail harder.

Not sure what you're getting at here.... but again, there's no better time to build your team than when your QB is on a rookie contract. The Chiefs can pay Peters and STILL be flush with cap room 2019 and beyond.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-20-2018 08:16 PM

I can't believe the guy who is constantly saying that ''defense wins championships" is opposed to the idea of having a cheap QB and using money towards, guess what.... the defense.

LMAO

ChiefsCountry 01-20-2018 08:21 PM

No. Peters is one you get his best "WAR" years on the cheap rookie deal and then let him go. He is a player I wouldn't trust with a big money salary.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-20-2018 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 13372459)
No. Peters is one you get his best "WAR" years on the cheap rookie deal and then let him go. He is a player I wouldn't trust with a big money salary.

Hmm. I disagree.

He seems like one of the guys who cares A LOT about the game, winning, being good, etc. I think it's instinctual for him. Don't see him slowing down. He is who he is, raw, competitive. Real.

New World Order 01-20-2018 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13372455)
I can't believe the guy who is constantly saying that ''defense wins championships" is opposed to the idea of having a cheap QB and using money towards, guess what.... the defense.

LMAO

Picks too.

I've always asked him about this and I never get a straight answer.

jaa1025 01-20-2018 08:27 PM

No. No and no.

Not even considering his antics and his dramatic drop in play.

Why pay him 90 over 5 years when you can have him 2 years on his rookie contract and tag him twice for a total of 4 years for a total for roughly 45 million (with franchise tags)? If you do 5 for 90, it's likely a 3 year deal with the last two years higher cap hit as well where you are forced to either restructure or cut. If it's not back loaded then you just destroyed the cap for this year and next on a team with many holes in the defense.

You really only want to extend early if it benefits the club. This, would no way, benefit the club.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-20-2018 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 13372464)
Picks too.

I've always asked him about this and I never get a straight answer.

There's no good answer to give, and he knows that...

CaliforniaChief 01-20-2018 08:34 PM

Yes. Insane talent/ability. Can continue to grow up.

And I think he'd sign it in a heartbeat. Consider where he's come from.

RunKC 01-20-2018 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13372455)

LMAO

Tiger? You gonna respond this? LMAO

ChiefsCountry 01-20-2018 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13372463)
Hmm. I disagree.

He seems like one of the guys who cares A LOT about the game, winning, being good, etc. I think it's instinctual for him. Don't see him slowing down. He is who he is, raw, competitive. Real.

Actually the best move would be to be franchise him for two years. He would be 29 when he is done. Best years would be over and the Chiefs could move on.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-20-2018 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 13372501)
Actually the best move would be to be franchise him for two years. He would be 29 when he is done. Best years would be over and the Chiefs could move on.

It sounds nice in theory but that could open a whole other can of worms. Look at the Steelers and their situation with Bell, who says he will retire before playing under the tag for a 2nd time (which I doubt but he could sit out 10+ games).

As stubborn and independent as Peters can be, a lot of animosity could be sparked if they start playing hardball with him. No one has been more productive and reliable for us outside of maybe Kelce the past three years.

bigjosh 01-20-2018 09:03 PM

I like Marcus, but Im not down with paying him that much though. Time to start reinvesting in that position in the draft if that is how much 22 is going to cost. Too much to fix on this defense to be dropping 18M a year on a corner.

|Zach| 01-20-2018 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaa1025 (Post 13372465)
No. No and no.

Not even considering his antics and his dramatic drop in play.

Why pay him 90 over 5 years when you can have him 2 years on his rookie contract and tag him twice for a total of 4 years for a total for roughly 45 million (with franchise tags)? If you do 5 for 90, it's likely a 3 year deal with the last two years higher cap hit as well where you are forced to either restructure or cut. If it's not back loaded then you just destroyed the cap for this year and next on a team with many holes in the defense.

You really only want to extend early if it benefits the club. This, would no way, benefit the club.

lol

suzzer99 01-20-2018 09:14 PM

I dunno, dude is kind of a head case and hasn't really seemed to mature at all. If anything he's regressed. I think there's a big risk you're going to have an LJ-monster on your hands when he does get paid. I'd franchise him one year and let him walk, hopefully get a good comp pick out of it.

PAChiefsGuy 01-20-2018 09:16 PM

No. Guy is an unpredictable nutcase... God only knows how that idiot is going to act once he gets paid millions and millions of dollars. Too risky.

Let him walk. Defense did fine without him against the Raiders. He isn't worth a huge contract.

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-20-2018 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13372335)
to a 5-year $90M contract, would you want the Chiefs to do it?

I bring this up because it is an incredibly tough choice the Chiefs are having to ponder now. The highest paid corner in the league, Josh Norman, makes $15M per year. I am only estimating, but I would bet that extending Peters will take roughly $18M per year.

I think I would actually do it if I was Veach, and here is why. The sooner we can get it out of the way, the better. We're just buying back prime years. If they extend him now for 5 seasons, he will be 30 years old during the last season of the contract, his 9th NFL season.

Despite the occasional on-field antics, this kid has forced 25 turnovers (19 INTs, 6 FFs) in his first three regular seasons (46 games). TWENTY-FIVE. Absolutely incredible. Good for a turnover more than every other game. He's also had 2 INTs in his 4 playoff games.

I thought after the Jets game, when all hell had broke loose, that we should trade him. But, it seems like his teammates love him, so I don't think he is a 'cancer' by any means. Just very competitive.

Thoughts?

Agreed.

Haters can hate, but talent is talent and I'll be good and ****ed before I let Chucky swoop in and take it from my ****ing team.

NJChiefsFan 01-20-2018 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 13372518)
I dunno, dude is kind of a head case and hasn't really seemed to mature at all. If anything he's regressed. I think there's a big risk you're going to have an LJ-monster on your hands when he does get paid. I'd franchise him one year and let him walk, hopefully get a good comp pick out of it.

You don't think he handled his suspension maturely? I certainly wouldn't call that regression. He will grow up eventually. I'm all in.

suzzer99 01-20-2018 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 13372536)
You don't think he handled his suspension maturely? I certainly wouldn't call that regression. He will grow up eventually. I'm all in.

I'm gonna need to see a little more than that. He got punished and he settled down for a few games. That doesn't mean he's magically mature now.

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-20-2018 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 13372543)
I'm gonna need to see a little more than that. He got punished and he settled down for a few games. That doesn't mean he's magically mature now.

This is..."Suzzer", right?

Cause' I'm confused now.

Demonpenz 01-20-2018 09:51 PM

it is the lesser of two evils.

Easy 6 01-20-2018 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 13372518)

How far down are you tonight, where you at?

Iowanian 01-20-2018 10:37 PM

He's my least favorite chief by a mile. I vote no. He appears to have trouble staying motivated now......how will he be with $60M guaranteed if things turn south?

No thanks.

jjchieffan 01-20-2018 10:42 PM

Why extend him now at that much? I don't see the point. If he will extend for $15 million or so, then sure. Do it. But if you're willing to blow away the largest contract out there, then you just as well make him stay on the rookie contract and wait it out.

threebag 01-20-2018 11:04 PM

They better save some money to sign Phillip Gaines

TigeRRUppeRRcut 01-20-2018 11:07 PM

Here's a max contract for behaving like a child, protesting while at work, and refusing to tackle like a big boy.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-20-2018 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigeRRUppeRRcut (Post 13372634)
Here's a max contract for behaving like a child, protesting while at work, and refusing to tackle like a big boy.

1) His tackling style led to 4 FFs this year.

2) He always tackled aggressively when the team absolutely needed it, ala 3rd/4th downs.

But please continue to ignore my post from earlier.

suzzer99 01-20-2018 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 13372568)
How far down are you tonight, where you at?

I'm Puebla for a couple weeks taking Spanish classes. My motorcycle buddies are struggling to get across Texas in the snow and cold, then should be down here in a few days. Latest blog is up. I will post in the other thread.

Easy 6 01-20-2018 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 13372656)
I'm Puebla for a couple weeks taking Spanish classes. My motorcycle buddies are struggling to get across Texas in the snow and cold, then should be down here in a few days. Latest blog is up. I will post in the other thread.

Is that still in Mexico? if so, good grief... I'm now starting to get a real sense of the scale of this trip you're undertaking

I am basically seeing double at this point, but look forward to reading your blog post tomorrow before the big games

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-20-2018 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13372654)
1) His tackling style led to 4 FFs this year.

2) He always tackled aggressively when the team absolutely needed it, ala 3rd/4th downs.

But please continue to ignore my post from earlier.

Let us reflect upon what 'Old Guard' mentality has given so richly to the Chiefs over the last 40 years....

^^^^^

That would be both jack AND shit.

BossChief 01-21-2018 12:00 AM

Worth every penny.

Been a first or second team all pro each of his first 3 years.

Consistently impacts games in crucial spots.

He’s our best defender...in a passing league guys like him are worth their weight in gold.

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-21-2018 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 13372673)
Worth every penny.

Been a first or second team all pro each of his first 3 years.

Consistently impacts games in crucial spots.

He’s our best defender...in a passing league guys like him are worth their weight in gold.

But he doesn't know how to BBQ or sing hooooooooooooome..of the...CHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEFS!

What ARE you thinking, good sir?!?!?!

suzzer99 01-21-2018 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 13372665)
Is that still in Mexico? if so, good grief... I'm now starting to get a real sense of the scale of this trip you're undertaking

I am basically seeing double at this point, but look forward to reading your blog post tomorrow before the big games

I've always wanted to explore Mexico - will be here two months and could be a lot longer. I could do 3 months just in Baja. Some of the Central American countries probably won't be as long. And I've been to Peru and Colombia so I may blow through those a bit.

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-21-2018 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 13372679)
I've always wanted to explore Mexico - will be here two months and could be a lot longer. I could do 3 months just in Baja. Some of the Central American countries probably won't be as long. And I've been to Peru and Colombia so I may blow through those a bit.

What you did there?

I saw it.

Mother****erJones 01-21-2018 07:52 AM

I’d sign him without blinking. Don’t think he’d sign right now though.

TimeForWasp 01-21-2018 07:56 AM

With his attitude, he would probably hold out if we franchise him. I think we should sign him to a long term team friendly contract (as possible) and trade him for picks in a couple years. At least then we could control where he goes. In a couple years we could manuver his replacement.

Pablo 01-21-2018 09:04 AM

I'd give him a lifetime $200,000,000 contract and require that he kneel at the 50 during the anthem every game just to watch all the soft, simple folk melt down for the rest of eternity.

GloryDayz 01-21-2018 09:12 AM

Between his tackling, emotional, and other issues, he's not worth at kind of cash. Along with that, that kind of cash probably ensures the other side of the defense remains stuck in literal hell in terms of players.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Priest31kc 01-21-2018 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigeRRUppeRRcut (Post 13372634)

Or, here's a max contract for being a Top 10 CB in the league who shuts down one half of the field and who also leads that league in INTs and turnovers forced the last 3 years.

And he's made several "big boy" tackles...But even if he hasn't, he'd still be worth it because of already mentioned reasons.

But sure, let's get rid of our best defensive playmaker because you don't like him as a person. LOL

Of course TigeRR the Alexsexual would oppose of this.

TribalElder 01-21-2018 09:20 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bsj71Z1CMAAYmYK.jpg

With a qb still on a rookie deal how much does that save us?

Coogs 01-21-2018 10:22 AM

I think we should at least start negotiating with him to see what his contract demands are going to be. If they are totally out of reason, it may be time to start shopping him and let some other team deal with the contract issues. JMO.

Again, I am all for rebuilding the defense over these next 2 years. A 4-3, and make a commitment to stop the run and pressure the passer. We are doing neither in our 3-4.

Find out if Peters is in or out for the long haul, and go with it. Either way.

O.city 01-21-2018 10:25 AM

I’m as big of a Peters fan as anyone, but I’d let him play out his deal and probably franchise tag him.

RINGLEADER 01-21-2018 10:50 AM

Not sure what his fifth-year option will cost or what the average is after that to tag him, but provided someone doesn't give us two #1s for him I could see us franchise him a couple of times. He may decide to not show up, but tagging players for multiple years seems to becoming a normal thing.

RINGLEADER 01-21-2018 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 13372770)
I’d sign him without blinking. Don’t think he’d sign right now though.

Yeah, not much of a reason to do so if you're him. I doubt he's going to suddenly suck so his value just goes up.

R8RFAN 01-21-2018 11:15 AM

Sean Smith will be available soon

RINGLEADER 01-21-2018 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8RFAN (Post 13372945)
Sean Smith will be available soon

To start his prison sentence, yeah...

Reerun_KC 01-21-2018 11:32 AM

If you could sign Marcus Peters tomorrow..

I would sign him just to Piss off rhe homer true fans that crave 9-7 and One and done.

That same stupid asshats that cry”it’s too risky!” We must get a RG and move him to left tackle.

Same stupid ****ing asshats that feel we have to trade for proven backups at QB.

Sign him and enjoy the benefits of a top 5 corner.

Prison Bitch 01-21-2018 12:03 PM

No. He had a terrible year according to pro football ref AV calcs, falling to a 5 score down from 11 and 13 last two years. This season is a big one for Marcus.

ILChief 01-21-2018 12:03 PM

Yes

The Bad Guy 01-21-2018 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy (Post 13372523)
No. Guy is an unpredictable nutcase... God only knows how that idiot is going to act once he gets paid millions and millions of dollars. Too risky.

Let him walk. Defense did fine without him against the Raiders. He isn't worth a huge contract.

What a sample size. "Defense did fine without him against the Raiders".

I'm sure you're one of the ones who's mad he doesn't stand, too. You ****ing idiot.

The Bad Guy 01-21-2018 01:58 PM

It is truly amazing how the people with the worst takes on this board keep that tradition alive.

Baby Lee 01-21-2018 02:01 PM

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/2b/2b70f...12ef7779cc.jpg

jLoy88 01-21-2018 03:07 PM

Sick of giving defensive players long term expensive contracts. Especially one that is already prone to showing lackluster effort in tackling. Look at what it got us with Houston. The guy played his balls out on every play before he got paid. He's a shell of his former effort.

DaneMcCloud 01-21-2018 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jLoy88 (Post 13373458)
Sick of giving defensive players long term expensive contracts. Especially one that is already prone to showing lackluster effort in tackling. Look at what it got us with Houston. The guy played his balls out on every play before he got paid. He's a shell of his former effort.

Butt****ing moron