ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Lord of the Rings - Rings of Power (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=314754)

BigRedChief 04-05-2018 05:38 PM

Lord of the Rings - Rings of Power

Premieres Sept. 2nd

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6RQFKgMWeu0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hammock Parties 04-05-2018 05:43 PM

This is going to draw some sick ratings.

HBO be mad

Sassy Squatch 04-05-2018 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13504826)

HBO be mad

I'm sure they can make do with all their GOT spin offs.

BigRedChief 04-05-2018 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13504826)

HBO be mad

looks like Netflix is the one who should be mad. :hmmm:

Buehler445 04-05-2018 10:36 PM

The writing goddamned better be good.

Nickhead 04-05-2018 11:28 PM

april fools was the other day wasn't it?

**** LOTR :D

BigRedChief 04-05-2018 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 13505215)
april fools was the other day wasn't it?

**** LOTR :D

LOTR ain’t my favorite of all time, but if Jackson gets involved, it’s going to be some great TV.

Nickhead 04-05-2018 11:58 PM

Spoiler!

:D

BigRedChief 09-11-2018 05:05 PM

While there’s been no official word yet on an expected release date, Amazon are required by the aforementioned $250m deal to begin production on the show within two years – so that means that the show will be on the way by November 2019 at least. A recent update from Amazon exec. Jennifer Salke gave some more detail. “All of us would love a big, addictive show that is executed at the top of its game.” Salke suggested. “We’re really excited about Lord of the Rings. Despite all the chatter about it, the deal just closed a month ago. We’ve been talking to writers. We have an estate that’s very active. I’ve spent three hours with Simon Tolkien. There’s a lot of moving parts with it. We’ll have some game plan to move forward with very soon.”

Salke added: “It’ll be in production in two years; [but] 2021 is the hope.” Salke explained. “But there are other people who wish it was 2020.”

Molitoth 09-11-2018 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13505186)
The writing goddamned better be good.

Yep. The hobbit series was ****ing garbage.

BigRedChief 02-10-2022 01:47 PM

Amazon’s Lord of the Rings Series Rises: Inside The Rings of Power premieres Sept. 2nd

One show to rule them all—the first look at a billion-dollar saga set thousands of years before J.R.R. Tolkien’s legendary trilogy.

Galadriel’s world is a raging sea. Far from the wise, ethereal elven queen that Cate Blanchett brought to Peter Jackson’s acclaimed films, the Galadriel played by Morfydd Clark in Amazon’s upcoming series The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power is thousands of years younger, as angry and brash as she is clever, and certain that evil is looming closer than anyone realizes.

By episode two, her warnings set her adrift, literally and figuratively, until she’s struggling for survival on a raft in the storm-swept Sundering Seas alongside a mortal castaway named Halbrand (Charlie Vickers), who is a new character introduced in the show. Galadriel is fighting for the future; Halbrand is running from the past. Their entwined destinies are just two of the stories woven together for a TV series that, if it works, could become a global phenomenon. If it falls short, it could become a cautionary tale for anyone who, to quote J.R.R. Tolkien, delves too greedily and too deep.

The rest here:
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...first-look/amp

Baby Lee 02-10-2022 02:27 PM

"nerdy, jive-ass dragon shit'

BlackOp 02-10-2022 02:29 PM

Cant wait to see how "Woke" things were back in the dawn of creation...

They are going to royally **** this up...

It looks like the Dwarf queen is African American......you know, since dwarfs were pale-skinned with red hair....makes perfect casting sense.... maybe we can get a lecture on social equity overtly embedded in the story too. Cant wait...another "Wheel of Time" Amazon flop in the making.

ToxSocks 02-10-2022 02:34 PM

Color me skeptical on this one.

BlackOp 02-10-2022 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 16139162)
Color me skeptical on this one.

Yeah...this has "bloated budget dogturd" written all over it...they even have a black elf lead character...how about an Asian Hobbit...or a middle-eastern Ork? We only can dream...have to cover all the major food groups.

Over/under on a lesbian hobbit/elf scene...or gay dwarf make out?

The options to destroy this show are endless...

htismaqe 02-10-2022 02:55 PM

Serious question...

If depictions like this bother you so much, how in the world do you find ANYTHING to watch?

Not saying I agree with it but I've pretty much come to accept it because it's literally in EVERYTHING now, including commercials.

If you truly want to avoid all of it, there's pretty much nothing you can watch.

Tribal Warfare 02-10-2022 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 16139182)

If you truly want to avoid all of it, there's pretty much nothing you can watch.

And I know a few guys who actually do avoid it all together. They watch documentaries, and that's it

htismaqe 02-10-2022 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 16139190)
And I know a few guys who actually do avoid it all together. They watch documentaries, and that's it

Yuck!

tredadda 02-10-2022 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 16139201)
Yuck!

Oh my. Outside of Chiefs football, about all I watch are documentaries. My favorites are the history ones like Timeline. Might make me a nerd/dork, or whatever, but I love documentaries and especially ones about historical stuff.

htismaqe 02-10-2022 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredadda (Post 16139229)
Oh my. Outside of Chiefs football, about all I watch are documentaries. My favorites are the history ones like Timeline. Might make me a nerd/dork, or whatever, but I love documentaries and especially ones about historical stuff.

The problem is that a lot of historical documentaries are full of white-washing and post-modern revisionism too. You literally can't escape it anymore.

Frazod 02-10-2022 03:54 PM

Just seems dumb. They're not going to top those movies. What's the ****ing point? :shake:

htismaqe 02-10-2022 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16139252)
Just seems dumb. They're not going to top those movies. What's the ****ing point? :shake:

$$$

BigRedChief 02-10-2022 03:57 PM

Quote:

Bezo has $187 Billion and he is a fan?:hmmm:

He loses $1 billion on this, he shrugs. I still have $186 billion left.

htismaqe 02-10-2022 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16139255)
Bezo has $100 Billion and he is a fan?:hmmm:

Millions will watch and they won't care if it's accurate, woke, stupid, brilliant, etc.

It's Middle Earth. It's like churning out Star Wars or Marvel shows. Not all of them are great but all of them are popular. It's a top tier franchise.

tredadda 02-10-2022 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 16139257)
Millions will watch and they won't care if it's accurate, woke, stupid, brilliant, etc.

It's Middle Earth. It's like churning out Star Wars or Marvel shows. Not all of them are great but all of them are popular. It's a top tier franchise.

Yup. Plus with not a ton of source material, they can be loose with the story. Look at the abomination that Peter Jackson put out known as the Hobbit trilogy. He's excellent and still put out that trash in spite of source material. I fully expect this series to be just as bad, yet just as popular.

Third Eye 02-10-2022 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 16139154)
Cant wait to see how "Woke" things were back in the dawn of creation...

They are going to royally **** this up...

It looks like the Dwarf queen is African American......you know, since dwarfs were pale-skinned with red hair....makes perfect casting sense.... maybe we can get a lecture on social equity overtly embedded in the story too. Cant wait...another "Wheel of Time" Amazon flop in the making.

Care to cite where Tolkien ever described the skin or hair color of dwarves? I don’t think you’re going to have much luck.

Even if he had, which he didn’t, how does that change anything with regards to the story? It has the same impact as a different color shirt. The fact that people care about the skin color of made up races is ****ing bizarre.

BlackOp 02-10-2022 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 16139410)
Care to cite where Tolkien ever described the skin or hair color of dwarves? I don’t think you’re going to have much luck.

Even if he had, which he didn’t, how does that change anything with regards to the story? It has the same impact as a different color shirt. The fact that people care about the skin color of made up races is ****ing bizarre.

I dont care about their skin color per se...it's that they made obvious castings decisions BASED on race...which is "woke' behavior/equity.

Amazon did this with Wheel of Time also...and it didn't work. It felt forced and distracting...had to have a lesbian scene, gay characters...every racial demographic accounted for. Social inclusivity trumped making a quality product. It was propaganda embedded into a fantasy series..

I realize this concept may be confusing to some...

tyecopeland 02-10-2022 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 16139542)
I dont care about their skin color per se...it's that they made obvious castings decisions BASED on race...which is "woke' behavior/equity.

Amazon did this with Wheel of Time also...and it didn't work. It felt forced and distracting...had to have a lesbian scene, gay characters...every racial demographic accounted for. Social inclusivity trumped making a quality product. It was propaganda embedded into a fantasy series..

Were you at the auditions? Do you know how each actor performed? How else can you be sure that the casting is based on race otherwise? Or are you suggesting that the non-white actors are inherently not as good and so them getting the role has to be based on wokeness?

BlackOp 02-10-2022 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 16139182)
Serious question...

If depictions like this bother you so much, how in the world do you find ANYTHING to watch?

Not saying I agree with it but I've pretty much come to accept it because it's literally in EVERYTHING now, including commercials.

I'm watching movies by A24...their current HBO series Euphoria has a black woman as the lead and doesn't feel forced. They actually have a hermaphrodite character...and a multi-cultural cast. Deals with homosexual aspects in a realistic way...

It's only when it's obviously forced and out of context...that it becomes racism veiled as inclusion/woke.

BlackOp 02-10-2022 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyecopeland (Post 16139548)
Were you at the auditions? Do you know how each actor performed? How else can you be sure that the casting is based on race otherwise? Or are you suggesting that the non-white actors are inherently not as good and so them getting the role has to be based on wokeness?

I'm not going to argue this further...watch it, I dont care. **** Amazon..

I'm just telling you, that miscasting is a red flare for calculated "wokeness".

Dont say you weren't warned...and temper your expectations.

Chief Pagan 02-10-2022 09:55 PM

Quote:

I'm not especially optimistic either. But there's a lot you can do in series as far as world building and character development and story plots that aren't available even with a three or four part movie.

So I think the potential is there, but um, yea...

The Franchise 02-10-2022 10:03 PM

How dare this fantasy movie have castings I don’t like!?!?!

Oh shut the **** up with your woke bullshit. No one ****ing cares.

MarkDavis'Haircut 02-10-2022 10:49 PM

They are going to ruin this with wokeness.

unlurking 02-11-2022 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 16139169)
Yeah...this has "bloated budget dogturd" written all over it...they even have a black elf lead character...how about an Asian Hobbit...or a middle-eastern Ork? We only can dream...have to cover all the major food groups.

Over/under on a lesbian hobbit/elf scene...or gay dwarf make out?

The options to destroy this show are endless...

I'm not optimistic due to the way they trashed the WoT storyline. I absolutely DO NOT give a shit what race or gender they go with for a ****ing fantasy species. This isn't an anti-woke stance, it's a racist and homophobic rant.

BigRedChief 02-11-2022 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 16139779)
I absolutely DO NOT give a shit what race or gender they go with for a ****ing fantasy species. This isn't an anti-woke stance, it's a racist and homophobic rant.

No shit. Its a Fantasy. They can do anything they want. Its not depicting real life. Anyone taking their cultural cue's from an authors fantasy imagination needs to just stop.

lawrenceRaider 02-11-2022 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredadda (Post 16139267)
Yup. Plus with not a ton of source material, they can be loose with the story. Look at the abomination that Peter Jackson put out known as the Hobbit trilogy. He's excellent and still put out that trash in spite of source material. I fully expect this series to be just as bad, yet just as popular.

As I recall they forced Jackson's hand on that "trilogy". He wanted to make a single movie, and they told him it would be a "trilogy" with or without him. Hard to make chicken salad when the studio gives you a wagon load off chicken shit.

lawrenceRaider 02-11-2022 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 16139542)

WOT was bad because they CHANGED THE STORY, not because of the diverse casting. Not only did they change the story, and write it ****ing terribly, but they wasted an entire episode on shit that was never in the books, and that first book really needed 10 episodes. The "finale" was horrifically bad from all standpoints. Writing, continuity, and characters.

tredadda 02-11-2022 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 16139789)
As I recall they forced Jackson's hand on that "trilogy". He wanted to make a single movie, and they told him it would be a "trilogy" with or without him. Hard to make chicken salad when the studio gives you a wagon load off chicken shit.

If that's the case then I take back what I said about Jackson (at least the negative parts). It's a shame that studio greed butchered an amazing story.

BlackOp 02-11-2022 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 16139779)
I'm not optimistic due to the way they trashed the WoT storyline. I absolutely DO NOT give a shit what race or gender they go with for a ****ing fantasy species. This isn't an anti-woke stance, it's a racist and homophobic rant.

You are the typical triggered sap they target...I'm not homophobic nor racist...but your simple-ass cant differentiate what I'm actually talking about.

It's the deliberate "bait-n-switch" that has you pointing your crooked finger at me...

Arguing with stupid people is pointless...they will remain stupid...and the longer you entertain a correspondence with them..the dumber you become...it's mental cancer.

Enjoy your woke fantasy show....hope it's satiates all your emotional social justice boxes....ones you didn't know even existed until 2 years ago.

BlackOp 02-11-2022 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 16139791)
WOT was bad because they CHANGED THE STORY, not because of the diverse casting. Not only did they change the story, and write it ****ing terribly, but they wasted an entire episode on shit that was never in the books, and that first book really needed 10 episodes. The "finale" was horrifically bad from all standpoints. Writing, continuity, and characters.

Well the acting sucked...so...the female lead was decent and corrupted one that stole the dagger.

The rest were soap opera level....and that script was full-on woke polluted.

tyecopeland 02-11-2022 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 16140539)
You are the typical triggered sap they target...I'm not homophobic nor racist...but your simple-ass cant differentiate what I'm actually talking about.

It's the deliberate "bait-n-switch" that has you pointing your crooked finger at me...

Arguing with stupid people is pointless...they will remain stupid...and the longer you entertain a correspondence with them..the dumber you become...it's mental cancer.

Enjoy your woke fantasy show....hope it's satiates all your emotional social justice boxes....ones you didn't know even existed until 2 years ago.

That's great advice. I will try harder to never to engage with you again.

BlackOp 02-11-2022 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyecopeland (Post 16140724)
That's great advice. I will try harder to never to engage with you again.

I dont remember ever corresponding with you in the first place...this is what happens when I find someone forgettable. :shrug:

Your statement works perfectly for me...whoever you are. I dont care...I care even less about some Woke amazon Hobbit series.

I leave with this..there BETTER be a gay Asian Hobbit in this series...or I'm going to protest SO loudly on the internet...for this flagrant act of under-representing this repressed demographic of society in the cinematic arts...it's an obvious overt act of racism and white supremacy....jack-asses.

unlurking 02-11-2022 10:21 PM

Go ahead and tell us about your black friend. :rolleyes:

BlackOp 02-12-2022 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 16140890)
Go ahead and tell us about your black friend. :rolleyes:

I actually have a few and one is gay.......also several Hispanics...one who is my best friend for over 30 years...and I do, actually, have a token Asian friend...really just out of sympathy...to cover all of societies requirements for a fulfilling life.

Now **** off...

InChiefsHeaven 02-12-2022 06:37 AM

Ahem, woke or not, I probably won't give this one much of my time. I love the LOTR series, the Hobbit was an abomination. It smacked of "Well, we have to make 3 movies out of it, that's where the money is". When you take such liberties with a beloved and awesome simple story in order to stretch it out and jam in a bunch of characters that were not in the original story...well, it's obvious it was a studio money making gambit. Those movies are so forgettable, in spite of some decent to great performances, especially Smaug.

After seeing that shit, I'm frankly afraid that this show, which could draw on the Silmarilian for it's material, will in all likelihood just be some meandering mess full of "neato" call backs (even though it's a prequel). The idea of wokeness is real too, and I'm sure there will be many eye-rolling moments in this thing. I just don't trust them to do it right.

But, you never know I guess. The Mandalorian for instance IMO so far has been shockingly good. We'll see what they do with the next season. I'll probably look into this LOTR thing, but I don't have high hopes at all.

Tribal Warfare 02-13-2022 03:19 PM

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...oken_Black.jpg

Hammock Parties 02-15-2022 02:14 PM

This tells me they get it.

https://scontent.fmkc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...MA&oe=62107E52

ThaVirus 02-15-2022 02:20 PM

Is there a bigger idiot on this board than BlackOp? It's not even just the fact that he has shitty takes; he's aggressively stupid.

"iTs ObViOuS tHe CaStInGs WeRe RaCe BaSeD".. as if this ****er was sitting in on auditions lol

With this and all the NFL conspiracy shit, imagine being so invested in these types of opinions.

Hammock Parties 02-15-2022 02:26 PM

Quote:

The Hobbit was fun. Bloated, but fun.

The more time we get to spend in Middle Earth, the better.

They're never going to top the original Star Wars trilogy, but I'm always thankful for more Star Wars stories.

Same here. Exploring the origins of Sauron? Epic.

The Franchise 02-15-2022 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16147404)
Is there a bigger idiot on this board than BlackOp? It's not even just the fact that he has shitty takes; he's aggressively stupid.

"iTs ObViOuS tHe CaStInGs WeRe RaCe BaSeD".. as if this ****er was sitting in on auditions lol

With this and all the NFL conspiracy shit, imagine being so invested in these types of opinions.

There is like a 5 way tie for first place right now. Red Dawg is gaining ground.

tredadda 02-16-2022 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 16147422)
The Hobbit was fun. Bloated, but fun.

The more time we get to spend in Middle Earth, the better.

They're never going to top the original Star Wars trilogy, but I'm always thankful for more Star Wars stories.

Same here. Exploring the origins of Sauron? Epic.

My only complaint about that is that I wish they had started in the first age. There was some awesome and epic stuff that happened then.

tredadda 02-16-2022 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 16147429)
There is like a 5 way tie for first place right now. Red Dawg is gaining ground.

You aren’t counting the residents of the DC forum in that count are you?

The Franchise 02-16-2022 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredadda (Post 16148313)
You aren’t counting the residents of the DC forum in that count are you?

Nope. Just the idiots from the lounge.

Hammock Parties 02-16-2022 02:38 PM

i do think casting other races breaks immersion somewhat

but i'll get over it if the story is good

BlackOp 02-16-2022 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16147404)

Woke-boy is triggered...seeking a group-think pile-on to reaffirm his irrational emotional outbursts.

That's a tell-tale of someone with no convictions...you need others to reassure you.

You have a spine made of Jell-O...

Your tirade has inspired me to design a new series of Woke Muppets...I'll be using you as a muse...a character affectionately named "flappy"

BleedingRed 02-16-2022 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 16149027)
i do think casting other races breaks immersion somewhat

but i'll get over it if the story is good

I guess cultural appropriation only works one way.

ThaVirus 02-16-2022 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 16149513)
Woke-boy is triggered...seeking a group-think pile-on to reaffirm his irrational emotional outbursts.

That's a tell-tale of someone with no convictions...you need others to reassure you.

Your tirade has inspired me to design a new series of Woke Muppets...I'll be using you as a muse...a character affectionately named "flappy"

You're a lunatic.

The only place you're not laughed at is D.C. That should tell you everything about how you're perceived here.

Fish 02-16-2022 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 16149513)

LMAO.. why are you such a clown in every thread?

BleedingRed 02-16-2022 09:52 PM

I mean let’s not lie, this woke casting shit is annoying….

BlackOp 02-16-2022 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16149582)
You're a lunatic.

The only place you're not laughed at is D.C. That should tell you everything about how you're perceived here.

Flappy loves his down-vote privileges...for once in his life he feels powerful.

Unfortunately, the harsh reality is it just publicly reaffirms his malformed spine...vicious cycle...nature is unforgiving like that.

BlackOp 02-16-2022 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 16149596)
LMAO.. why are you such a clown in every thread?

Great..I have inspiration for a new muppet character. Average to low IQ, poor physical health and a propensity for misplaced authoritarianism. Overstates his own value and compensates with bloated bravado...culturally illiterate of the fine arts, philosophy and literature.

I'll have have name for you shortly..."Dim" will be a working title.

I can pair you two up...you can be the verbose, ignorant one with domineering qualities...and Flappy can be the impressionable, submissive character. He keeps getting hurt and maimed due to your terrible life advice but keeps coming back for more abuse.

Dim and Flappy does have a nice cadence.

Fish 02-16-2022 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 16149667)
Great..I have inspiration for new muppet character. Average to low IQ, poor physical health and a propensity for misplaced authoritarianism. Over states his own value and compensates with bloated bravado...culturally illiterate of the fine arts, philosophy and literature.

I'll have have name for you shortly..."Dim" will be a working title.

I can pair you two up...you can be the verbose, ignorant one with domineering qualities...and Flappy can be the impressionable, submissive character. He keeps getting hurt and maimed due to your terrible life advice but keeps coming back for more abuse.

Dim and Flappy does have a nice cadence.

You sure like to type out lots of nonsense bullshit. I get the sense that you simply like to listen to yourself. Sounds pretty sad.

BlackOp 02-17-2022 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 16149855)
You sure like to type out lots of nonsense bullshit. I get the sense that you simply like to listen to yourself. Sounds pretty sad.

Says one of the biggest blowhards on this forum...obviously, introspection isn't your "thing".

I think I nailed your character...

ThaVirus 02-17-2022 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 16149647)
Flappy loves his down-vote privileges...for once in his life he feels powerful.

Unfortunately, the harsh reality is it just publicly reaffirms his malformed spine...vicious cycle...nature is unforgiving like that.

LMAO You really are crazy.

I didn't even downvote you. You realize you can easily check and see who is up/downvoting you, right?

ThaVirus 02-17-2022 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 16149613)
I mean let’s not lie, this woke casting shit is annoying….

I just watched the trailer. There were probably 25 people shown and they were all white. Why are you so triggered by the sight of one Puerto Rican dude? lol

BleedingRed 02-17-2022 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16150041)
I just watched the trailer. There were probably 25 people shown and they were all white. Why are you so triggered by the sight of one Puerto Rican dude? lol

Are you projecting?

Or are you unable to catch the fact that the casting for this takes you out of the setting?

Or did Hobbits just murder all the black hobbits before the third age?

It's not needed, thats the point. I would say the same shit if black panther was casted as a white guy.

Otter 02-21-2022 11:37 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cUT52MMBqgM" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Otter 02-21-2022 11:40 AM

Amazon's New Lord Of The Rings Series To Include Bisexual Transgender Elf In Wheelchair

https://media.babylonbee.com/article...cle-7203-2.jpg

ThaVirus 02-21-2022 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 16150741)
Are you projecting?

Or are you unable to catch the fact that the casting for this takes you out of the setting?

Or did Hobbits just murder all the black hobbits before the third age?

It's not needed, thats the point. I would say the same shit if black panther was casted as a white guy.

You can watch a show with orcs, goblins, wizards and dragons but a Puerto Rican dude is where you draw the line lol

Just say you're racist and you don't like non-whites so we can stop talking.

mr. tegu 02-21-2022 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16155996)
You can watch a show with orcs, goblins, wizards and dragons but a Puerto Rican dude is where you draw the line lol

Just say you're racist and you don't like non-whites so we can stop talking.

What do you honestly think the reaction would have been if this show did not have a diverse cast more in line with the movies? Do you think that would have been deemed acceptable?

ThaVirus 02-22-2022 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 16156296)
What do you honestly think the reaction would have been if this show did not have a diverse cast more in line with the movies? Do you think that would have been deemed acceptable?

The LoTR trilogy came out less than 20 years ago. The Hobbit trilogy came out within the last 10 years.

I don't recall a lot of outrage or scandal with either of those so I doubt there would have been much for this show.

lawrenceRaider 02-22-2022 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16157132)
The LoTR trilogy came out less than 20 years ago. The Hobbit trilogy came out within the last 10 years.

I don't recall a lot of outrage or scandal with either of those so I doubt there would have been much for this show.

Are you pretending that diversity as pandering existed even 5 years ago like it does today?

I don't get any of the outrage for any casting decisions not directly related to the ability of the actor to properly portray the character they are being paid to be. One of the best decisions Marvel ever made was who they cast as Fury.

mr. tegu 02-22-2022 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16157132)

People complained and wrote articles about a lack of diversity on Game of Thrones through its entire run, but especially towards the end as it gained and popularity and complaints about diversity became the norm. So yes, there would have been on this one as well. They simply made the decision to deal with one group of critics instead of another. No need to pretend otherwise.

ThaVirus 02-22-2022 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 16157350)
People complained and wrote articles about a lack of diversity on Game of Thrones through its entire run, but especially towards the end as it gained and popularity and complaints about diversity became the norm. So yes, there would have been on this one as well. They simply made the decision to deal with one group of critics instead of another. No need to pretend otherwise.

Well if your bar is set at "someone wrote an article somewhere" then I suppose you're right. There are articles about a ton of shit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 16157149)
Are you pretending that diversity as pandering existed even 5 years ago like it does today?

I don't get any of the outrage for any casting decisions not directly related to the ability of the actor to properly portray the character they are being paid to be. One of the best decisions Marvel ever made was who they cast as Fury.

I guess it probably depends on the circles you run in. People do seem to be more pussified in general today than they did 20 years ago so I'd imagine there are more bleeding vaginas all around.

I don't really associate much with either side (aside from the conservative crowd here on CP), but both sides are really ****ing annoying at this point. There's nothing wrong with wanting some representation, but don't take it too far. On the other side, not every black, woman, gay, trans person you see on TV is wOkE pAnDeRiNg. These people are out there. They're real and they exist. Why wouldn't we see them in the media sometimes?

mr. tegu 02-22-2022 05:23 PM

Amazon commits $1 billion and 5 seasons to bring LOTR to TV

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16157678)
Well if your bar is set at "someone wrote an article somewhere" then I suppose you're right. There are articles about a ton of shit.

I guess it probably depends on the circles you run in. People do seem to be more pussified in general today than they did 20 years ago so I'd imagine there are more bleeding vaginas all around.

I don't really associate much with either side (aside from the conservative crowd here on CP), but both sides are really ****ing annoying at this point. There's nothing wrong with wanting some representation, but don't take it too far. On the other side, not every black, woman, gay, trans person you see on TV is wOkE pAnDeRiNg. These people are out there. They're real and they exist. Why wouldn't we see them in the media sometimes?

GRRM has felt obligated to comment on it, actors on the show commented, casting director had to defend the casting choices, etc. You could just say you didn’t realize that Game of Thrones got heat for the exact same thing you said wouldn’t happen to Lord of the Rings. Clearly LotR would have faced similar and probably increased criticism. It’s not hard to change a viewpoint with new information.

Megatron96 02-22-2022 05:39 PM

I have not heard good things about this, unfortunately. I was kind of looking forward to it.

ToxSocks 02-22-2022 05:46 PM

I don't care about black dwarves or gay elves (lets be honest, elves are pretty gay even if they're "straight").

I didn't read any of the books nor am i invested in the lore.

I just hope they can deliver a competent story that keeps me engaged. To which i must say i am doubtful of.

htismaqe 02-22-2022 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 16158122)
I don't care about black dwarves or gay elves (lets be honest, elves are pretty gay even if they're "straight").

I didn't read any of the books nor am i invested in the lore.

I just hope they can deliver a competent story that keeps me engaged. To which i must say i am doubtful of.

I've read all the books and I still don't care if dwarves are black or elves are gay. Tolkien wasn't concerned about it either - it's immaterial to the story actually.

ThaVirus 02-23-2022 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 16158074)
GRRM has felt obligated to comment on it, actors on the show commented, casting director had to defend the casting choices, etc. You could just say you didn’t realize that Game of Thrones got heat for the exact same thing you said wouldn’t happen to Lord of the Rings. Clearly LotR would have faced similar and probably increased criticism. It’s not hard to change a viewpoint with new information.

Martin "felt obligated" lol he responded to a post on his blog, on which he is famous for interacting with fans, back in 2014.

I literally Googled "George Martin responds to lack of diversity on Game of Thrones" and half of the hits referenced that one response to a fan's post. In fact, that search doesn't even result in a full page worth of relevant links; there were some articles about stuff that had nothing to do with GoT.

Of the few legitimate articles I found, you're talking about a couple pieces by Vanity Fair and Teen Vogue along with John Boyega and Will I Am saying they aren't satisfied with the casting choices of the show (who gives a shit what they think?).

I'm sorry, man, but this just doesn't move the meter.

mr. tegu 02-23-2022 09:02 AM

Amazon commits $1 billion and 5 seasons to bring LOTR to TV

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16158967)
Martin "felt obligated" lol he responded to a post on his blog, on which he is famous for interacting with fans, back in 2014.

I literally Googled "George Martin responds to lack of diversity on Game of Thrones" and half of the hits referenced that one response to a fan's post. In fact, that search doesn't even result in a full page worth of relevant links; there were some articles about stuff that had nothing to do with GoT.

Of the few legitimate articles I found, you're talking about a couple pieces by Vanity Fair and Teen Vogue along with John Boyega and Will I Am saying they aren't satisfied with the casting choices of the show (who gives a shit what they think?).

I'm sorry, man, but this just doesn't move the meter.

Just admit you didn’t know this occurred at all. This shouldn’t be that hard. And that it’s pretty ridiculous to not think more louder criticism would have occurred with LotR given differences between almost ten years ago and now. You want to minimize GRRM but Wall Street Journal and many others picked up and wrote on the GRRM stuff and lack of diversity in general. That’s how these things start. Small then grow. And that was in 2014. Imagine the difference between now and then. And it’s not nothing when the person responsible for casting has to defend her casting choices. It would have been much louder now.

Missandie, “It definitely caused me to reflect a lot more — about race and diversity more generally," she said. "At the end of the day, if there’s ever a show on the level of Game of Thrones again, representation has to be part of the conversation from the beginning. That way, there’s no single person who has to represent every other person of color."

I’m not saying it was some huge trending scandal. It occurred despite not really having a leg to stand on given the source material. It would have been much louder and at the forefront had LotR done similar. I don’t think it’s good or bad, just the way it is, and they made a choice to accept one source of criticism over another.