ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games So retro game collecting (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316055)

Mecca 07-03-2018 07:04 AM

So retro game collecting

I think I am going to get into this as I have some space coming available in my house. Anyone here do this kinda stuff?

If you do I'll take tips if not..you can give me your stuff...j/k

loochy 07-03-2018 07:44 AM

How retro? Like coleco vision retro? Or like PS1 retro?
Posted via Mobile Device

Mecca 07-03-2018 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 13614195)
How retro? Like coleco vision retro? Or like PS1 retro?
Posted via Mobile Device

Anything...although I don't really consider PS1 retro but I guess that does count these days.

I think my biggest collections would probably be NES, SNES and Genesis

listopencil 07-03-2018 08:44 AM

Just emulate NES/SNES/etc. on a computer and put in a cabinet. You can build your own cabinet easily now with flat monitors and Bluetooth controllers.

listopencil 07-03-2018 08:45 AM

https://fieldguide.gizmodo.com/12-wa...ine-1791770932

Mecca 07-03-2018 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 13614242)
Just emulate NES/SNES/etc. on a computer and put in a cabinet. You can build your own cabinet easily now with flat monitors and Bluetooth controllers.

I could do that but the idea of getting stuff like it came is kinda neat to me, go back to being a kid.

Fish 07-03-2018 09:08 AM

It was really fun to set up. But I have to admit that I don't play the games much at all.

Mecca 07-03-2018 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13614250)
It was really fun to set up. But I have to admit that I don't play the games much at all.

I still play and there are times where I'd like to be able to go back and play the old school stuff.

I have roms on my computer but it's not really the same.

notorious 07-03-2018 09:20 AM

I watch a lot of YouTube content on old video game stuff. If I want to play I emulate. I guess I don’t have the need hold the actual cart in my hands.

Besides, if I start, I won’t be able to stop until I have everything. Sounds like a cool hobby though.

notorious 07-03-2018 09:23 AM

Do you have a good tube tv? The lag on even the best flat tvs will drive you insane. An old Panasonic plasma with minimal processing was as close as I could get.

These are old games. They will steal your soul unless you have perfect timing.

Fish 07-03-2018 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13614266)
I watch a lot of YouTube content on old video game stuff. If I want to play I emulate. I guess I don’t have the need hold the actual cart in my hands.

Besides, if I start, I won’t be able to stop until I have everything. Sounds like a cool hobby though.

That was me. I became obsessed with getting every possible title from every available platform. And since then I've played maybe 10 out of those thousands of games.

Simply Red 07-03-2018 09:29 AM

I like this idea - post pics as you grow your collection. Are you a movie fan? Thoughts on collecting movies? I am of the camp of obtaining and collecting physical media.

ToxSocks 07-03-2018 09:43 AM

Let it pass. Nostalgic gaming is a novel idea. And then you buy the shit. And then you get bored and it gets put away to collect dust.

I own an original SNES and Genesis no thanks to nostalgia. I played them the day i got them and haven't touched them since.

WhawhaWhat 07-03-2018 09:52 AM

I went with the Raspberry Pi route and RetroPie.

Mecca 07-03-2018 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13614270)
Do you have a good tube tv? The lag on even the best flat tvs will drive you insane. An old Panasonic plasma with minimal processing was as close as I could get.

These are old games. They will steal your soul unless you have perfect timing.

Do you ever check out the game chasers, they're good content for retro stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mecca 07-03-2018 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13614271)
That was me. I became obsessed with getting every possible title from every available platform. And since then I've played maybe 10 out of those thousands of games.

Do you still have the stuff? We can make some deals lol
Posted via Mobile Device

notorious 07-03-2018 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 13614336)
Do you ever check out the game chasers, they're good content for retro stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not yet, mostly just the Cinemassacre guys and Video Game Historian.

I will check them out!

On a side note, I plan on buying this book and read through it.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Ultimate-Nint...5191268&chn=ps

Dayze 07-03-2018 11:40 AM

I blame Excitebike for my lifelong infatuation with motorcycles.

Mecca 07-03-2018 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13614399)
Not yet, mostly just the Cinemassacre guys and Video Game Historian.

I will check them out!

On a side note, I plan on buying this book and read through it.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Ultimate-Nint...5191268&chn=ps

If you're talking about gaming history the dude that lives in kansas city...he's good friend with the game chasers and is in several of their videos.

Overall though their content is really well done.

Fish 07-03-2018 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 13614345)
Do you still have the stuff? We can make some deals lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Still have lots of stuff, but not really interested in selling anything.

Mecca 07-03-2018 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13614458)
Still have lots of stuff, but not really interested in selling anything.

But you said you didn't use it so I figured I'd ask, any tips on where you find most things?

Frazod 07-03-2018 12:24 PM

One of friends from high school has a room in his basement filled with 80s-era arcade games. He's got a pretty good collection, too - Stargate, Tron, Tempest, Robotron, Joust and a few others I can't remember. I can remember actual arcades from back in the day that didn't have as good a selection.

I don't know how often he plays any of them, but it's always fun to visit his house.

notorious 07-03-2018 12:42 PM

I guess my crown pieces are a couple NES Advantage controllers still brand new in box. Bought them for $5 each at Toys R Us in 96’.

Mecca 07-03-2018 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13614494)
I guess my crown pieces are a couple NES Advantage controllers still brand new in box. Bought them for $5 each at Toys R Us in 96’.

Damn, I about bought a top loader but the dude was being sketchy as ****.

Simply Red 07-03-2018 12:49 PM

aside from gaming bits - are there any other nostalgic things you collect Mecca?

Fish 07-03-2018 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 13614465)
But you said you didn't use it so I figured I'd ask, any tips on where you find most things?

It took me a long time, acquired from a bunch of different sources. And I didn't even come close to getting a full collection before I gave up. Much of it was from ebay. That was the only place to find some stuff, even though it scares me every time I have to visit that gross website. Craigslist was a good source too for some great finds, but it's pretty random when you stumble across something you actually want. Nice way to get boxes of old stuff for really cheap though. Facebook Marketplace has become a good source for stuff like that recently. As well as letgo and trademe.

Mecca 07-03-2018 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13614509)
aside from gaming bits - are there any other nostalgic things you collect Mecca?

I collect comic stuff too.

Mecca 07-03-2018 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13614516)
It took me a long time, acquired from a bunch of different sources. And I didn't even come close to getting a full collection before I gave up. Much of it was from ebay. That was the only place to find some stuff, even though it scares me every time I have to visit that gross website. Craigslist was a good source too for some great finds, but it's pretty random when you stumble across something you actually want. Nice way to get boxes of old stuff for really cheap though. Facebook Marketplace has become a good source for stuff like that recently. As well as letgo and trademe.

I'd have been doing this a long time ago but honestly I just didn't have the space, I do now.

Simply Red 07-03-2018 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 13614517)
I collect comic stuff too.

oh okay - Just curious if you ever got into VHS tapes - something I sort of got into for a while. Mostly older horror genre.

MarkDavis'Haircut 07-03-2018 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13614516)

You are not a fan of eBay?

Fish 07-03-2018 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carr4MVP (Post 13614635)
You are not a fan of eBay?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

lcarus 07-03-2018 06:21 PM

Used to have a big stash of NES, SNES games. Heck PS1 and PS2 games as well for that matter. Ended up selling most of them before retro collecting became a big thing like it is today. Which is a shame considering a lot of those games are worth way more now than when I sold them.

That's actually what's stopping me from getting back into it. The prices for NES and SNES games can be pretty ridiculous.

Fish 07-03-2018 09:45 PM

I still have an original XBox with a mod chip and a 250GB HD full of XBox games. Still has XBMP installed. LOL. Which is actually the predecessor of XBMC, which is now the predecessor of KODI.

Fish 07-03-2018 09:56 PM

Of all my old consoles, my modded Wii still gets used the most. I have a modded Wii with almost every Wii game on an external HD. No discs required. My daughter and I played it a lot when she was younger. Mostly through the winter when it was too cold to go outside. Not so much now, but we still play something every now and then. Wii Sports, Fishing Resort, Tiger Woods, Mario Kart, my daughter's favorite the Kirby titles, Metroid, Mario Odyssey, etc. Fishing Resort was a very underrated game in my opinion. That might actually be our overall favorite game to play. Incredibly educational too, my daughter still talks about the different types of fish, rods, locations, boats, bait, etc. It inspired her to go fishing for real with me, and that's been one of our favorite hobbies since.

vailpass 07-03-2018 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13615151)
Of all my old consoles, my modded Wii still gets used the most. I have a modded Wii with almost every Wii game on an external HD. No discs required. My daughter and I played it a lot when she was younger. Mostly through the winter when it was too cold to go outside. Not so much now, but we still play something every now and then. Wii Sports, Fishing Resort, Tiger Woods, Mario Kart, my daughter's favorite the Kirby titles, Metroid, Mario Odyssey, etc. Fishing Resort was a very underrated game in my opinion. That might actually be our overall favorite game to play. Incredibly educational too, my daughter still talks about the different types of fish, rods, locations, boats, bait, etc. It inspired her to go fishing for real with me, and that's been one of our favorite hobbies since.

Very cool.

DJJasonp 07-04-2018 08:18 AM

I built an arcade cabinet a year or so ago (emulating multiple platforms). Did a couple raspberry pi setups as well.

Just finished tweaking my cab setup, thinking about adding light guns to it for lethal enforcers, house of the dead, etc.

If you go emulation with PC - I highly recommend Launchbox as a front-end.

That all said, I've probably spent more time configuring, than i have playing the games!

My next project will be a virtual pinball cabinet.

Fishpicker 07-04-2018 10:14 AM

I used to be into collecting old games but now I just go to arcades to scratch that itch. I got rid of my consoles. the only one I miss is the Neo Geo.

http://www.aurcade.com

this site has a database of arcades. There are some nice ones in KC.