ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Can anybody recommend some good action RPGs? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=321998)

htismaqe 03-23-2019 10:15 AM

Can anybody recommend some good action RPGs?

I've played Witcher 3 and I'm getting ready to finally finish DA Inquisition.

I'm just not seeing much out there for loot/progression-based RPGs anymore. The big ones (POE and Divinity) are turn based and I just can't get into them.

Looking for a change of pace after a long Assassin's Creed binge...

TambaBerry 03-23-2019 11:05 AM

Man divinity I've played through like 7 times

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-23-2019 12:56 PM

Mass Effect

Fishpicker 03-23-2019 01:28 PM

Path of Exile, the other POE

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0aWjVINxfGU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Setsuna 03-23-2019 01:58 PM

Skyrim? Idk.

Bump 03-23-2019 02:08 PM

Path of Exile is awesome, I don't think that's the POE you are referring to since it's not turn based.

The new warhammer ARPG looks pretty fun too, but I don't think that's coming for a while.

Imon Yourside 03-23-2019 03:24 PM

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/L-JIWR9epbc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4DV65-klc0M" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QvijtKIFnug" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hammock Parties 03-23-2019 05:26 PM

Kenshi

Fishpicker 03-23-2019 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14176281)
Kenshi

how is combat handled in Kenshi; is it Queue based?

Otter 03-23-2019 06:10 PM

I played DDO for a couple years but quit after it became way too complicated and took on a pay to win aspect. I'll give this game credit - it has the coolest combat system I've ever seen but I stay away from pay to win just because I don't like the concept.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uV6HO31boUc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CoMoChief 03-23-2019 06:46 PM

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/Hf0VGD0h6s1tm" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/Hf0VGD0h6s1tm">via GIPHY</a></p>

htismaqe 03-25-2019 09:09 AM

Sorry, POE = Pillars of Eternity. I forgot that Path of Exile was also POE.

Clyde Frog 03-25-2019 11:21 AM

Dragon's Dogma. Good story, fun battle system, lots of different builds, tons of replay-ability.

Beef Supreme 03-25-2019 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clyde Frog (Post 14178947)
Dragon's Dogma. Good story, fun battle system, lots of different builds, tons of replay-ability.

Yeah, this game is very cool. The story is can get a little weird, and some actions can have some very strange consequences. The first village at the beginning of the game kinda put me off with some stupid generic quests, but it only lasted like half an hour and once things get going it is much better.

The combat is outstanding. Some of the best action rpg combat I have played. And the pawn system is really cool. You have your own pawn (henchman) and you can hire two other pawns to travel with you. And those pawns belong to other real players.

htismaqe 03-25-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clyde Frog (Post 14178947)

Played it. The combat was definitely pretty good.

htismaqe 03-25-2019 12:11 PM

So I'm definitely interested in Path of Exile. However, is it point and click combat or is it a bit more involved than that? I'm not looking for a Diablo clone really.

I've played Skyrim, Witcher 3, and Dragon's Dogma and I'm thinking more along the lines of those.

Beef Supreme 03-25-2019 12:42 PM

Kingdoms of Amalur maybe?

Pretty good combat. Story by R.A Salvatore, but to be honest I found it generic as ****, but your mileage may vary.

htismaqe 03-25-2019 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 14179202)
Kingdoms of Amalur maybe?

Pretty good combat. Story by R.A Salvatore, but to be honest I found it generic as ****, but your mileage may vary.

Played it. The combat was by far the best part of that game. The loot was kind of meh and the story and environments, like you said, were pretty generic.

I really enjoyed it though just because the combat was so fluid and fun.

Beef Supreme 03-25-2019 01:28 PM

Divinity II: Developers cut

This one is first person, not turn based like some others in the franchise. No quest markers, you just gotta find stuff. But you do find stuff without too much difficulty. Once again I found the first bit hard to slog through, but once you finish up the first town and move on down the road it gets pretty cool.

The character advancement is nice. It's set up for you to multiclass as much or as little as you want and has some cool combat. The combat isn't as good as some of the previously mentioned games, but I found it enjoyable.

Imon Yourside 03-25-2019 02:19 PM

I played this on launch several years ago and loved it for about 2 years until they dumbed everything down. It was extremely complicated and fun not sure what it is today but it's still online to play for free.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UcqvLKLNtSE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Frazod 03-25-2019 02:25 PM

I crapped out on Metro Exodus. I thought it would be more open world, but there was too much crawling around in the dark getting dogpiled. That gets old quick.

Back to playing Skyrim for the umpteenth time.

htismaqe 03-25-2019 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 14179335)
Divinity II: Developers cut

This one is first person, not turn based like some others in the franchise. No quest markers, you just gotta find stuff. But you do find stuff without too much difficulty. Once again I found the first bit hard to slog through, but once you finish up the first town and move on down the road it gets pretty cool.

The character advancement is nice. It's set up for you to multiclass as much or as little as you want and has some cool combat. The combat isn't as good as some of the previously mentioned games, but I found it enjoyable.

The last Divinity game I played was Ego Draconis and I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. I'll check this one out.

Frazod 03-25-2019 02:33 PM

Perhaps I should check out Dragon's Dogma. Never heard of it before.

htismaqe 03-25-2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14179521)

The current version is Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen. It was remaster for Xbox1 and PS4 and is also on PC AFAIK.

Beef Supreme 03-25-2019 02:38 PM

Quote:

I highly recommend it, but don't be afraid to google some things if you need to. Some stuff isn't readily apparent or explained very well.

Frazod 03-25-2019 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 14179534)
I highly recommend it, but don't be afraid to google some things if you need to. Some stuff isn't readily apparent or explained very well.

I think I'll give it a shot.

And I'm never afraid to look shit up. I play these games for enjoyment, not to run around in circles being frustrated.

Fishpicker 03-25-2019 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14179108)
So I'm definitely interested in Path of Exile. However, is it point and click combat or is it a bit more involved than that? I'm not looking for a Diablo clone really.

it is point and click in isometric dungeon crawling. the leveling up and the variety of skills make it much different though. instead of having a skill tree for each class, PoE has one massive skill tree for all classes. it makes for really cool hybrid classes and customised characters.

take a look at the map here: https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree

the actual skills/spells come from gems that you put into weapon slots. half of the game is character build... choosing the constellation of passive skills on the map that will benefit your character most

GloucesterChief 03-25-2019 10:47 PM

Perhaps the Valkyria Chronicles series? It is part turn based tactical RPG and part action rpg.

Sofa King 03-26-2019 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14175662)
I've played Witcher 3 and I'm getting ready to finally finish DA Inquisition.

I'm just not seeing much out there for loot/progression-based RPGs anymore. The big ones (POE and Divinity) are turn based and I just can't get into them.

Looking for a change of pace after a long Assassin's Creed binge...

Sounds like you have a similar taste. I'm playing God of War right now which is getting really good.

BUT, My favorite game of the last few years has been Horizon Zero Dawn. Great looking game, fun gameplay, etc. Give it a shot if you haven't already. Can get it for the cheap.

htismaqe 03-26-2019 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 14180421)
Sounds like you have a similar taste. I'm playing God of War right now which is getting really good.

BUT, My favorite game of the last few years has been Horizon Zero Dawn. Great looking game, fun gameplay, etc. Give it a shot if you haven't already. Can get it for the cheap.

I've had HZD on my list for a long time. Honestly, I think the thing that is keeping me at a distance is the female protagonist. Not that I have anything against it, it just spoils the immersion for me for some reason.

Definitely have GOW on my list, I might have to try it.

Beef Supreme 03-26-2019 09:15 AM

Horizon Zero Dawn can kiss my ass for being a PS4 exclusive.

htismaqe 03-26-2019 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 14180631)

ROFL

Imon Yourside 03-26-2019 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 14180631)

Same, but i'm not into non PC games.

htismaqe 03-26-2019 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imon Yourside (Post 14181316)
Same, but i'm not into non PC games.

I just can't stand Microsoft, so PS4 is really my only option. :)

Imon Yourside 03-26-2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14181329)

I don't like either one, just a lone PC master race non console peasant. ;)

Console exclusives have ruined many a game I never played. :)

Gravedigger 03-26-2019 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14181329)

Yeah Microsoft has really taken themselves out of the Video Game console discussion. They're rumored to have a hefty E3 Lineup, but when they made Xbox games cross platform with PC, they undercut the XBox entirely. They have no exclusives that I would say are better than PS4's exclusives. I have a computer, I have a PS4 and I have a Switch so all my options are good.

htismaqe 03-26-2019 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imon Yourside (Post 14181336)
I don't like either one, just a lone PC master race non console peasant. ;)

Console exclusives have ruined many a game I never played. :)

I left the master race cult about 10 years ago. I've worn the scarlet letter ever since. LOL

htismaqe 03-26-2019 02:48 PM

Has anybody played Kingdom Come Deliverance?

Beef Supreme 03-26-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14181440)
Has anybody played Kingdom Come Deliverance?

I have not. I am somewhat interested, but I get the impression that it's so "immersive" that I will have to spend a bunch of time doing tedious alchemy shit to get anywhere.

Clyde Frog 03-26-2019 03:37 PM

If you like FPS with elements of an RPG then Borderlands and Destiny are a good go. I'm addicted to Destiny so I'm kind of biased there. People either love it or hate it. Borderlands is a fantastic universe with ridiculous guns and you don't need people to play w to make it fun, but it certainly helps.

Imon Yourside 03-26-2019 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14181398)
I left the master race cult about 10 years ago. I've worn the scarlet letter ever since. LOL

I just never got into the stale environment of a console, I like having my game going on while alt tabbing to other shit. That's my immersion and if it's too stale then I feel out of place. Not to mention doing 3d games with controllers really sucks the baows for me, I'll never be good at it. I can't aim worth a crap with a pad and why take the precision out of it if you don't have to?

htismaqe 03-26-2019 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imon Yourside (Post 14182014)
I just never got into the stale environment of a console, I like having my game going on while alt tabbing to other shit. That's my immersion and if it's too stale then I feel out of place. Not to mention doing 3d games with controllers really sucks the baows for me, I'll never be good at it. I can't aim worth a crap with a pad and why take the precision out of it if you don't have to?

Multitasking improves immersion? Never heard that one before! :D

I sit in front of a 70" screen with noise cancelling headphones on. I'm completely focused on the game and nothing else.

kysirsoze 03-27-2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 14181368)
Yeah Microsoft has really taken themselves out of the Video Game console discussion. They're rumored to have a hefty E3 Lineup, but when they made Xbox games cross platform with PC, they undercut the XBox entirely. They have no exclusives that I would say are better than PS4's exclusives. I have a computer, I have a PS4 and I have a Switch so all my options are good.

I traded in my Xbox for a PS4. Just tired of all the games I wanted to play beign exclusive to PS4 with jack shit on the Xbox.

Setsuna 03-27-2019 05:47 PM

Quote:

The guy that made DMCV, Itsuno, made Dragon's Dogma. So I'd wager it's pretty darn good. Just think if he makes another on the same engine :drool::drool::drool:

TinyEvel 03-28-2019 10:06 AM

I consider Red Dead II an RPG.

htismaqe 03-28-2019 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 14184347)
I consider Red Dead II an RPG.

I have some good friends in my COTW group (it's a hunting simulator called TheHunter Call of the Wild) that have played RDRII.

Mind you, we all play a hunting simulator. Where you have to use scents and army crawl through brush. Shooting a single animal can take an hour. It's SLOW.

And they said RDRII is even more of a slog than THAT.

htismaqe 04-08-2019 10:53 AM

So it turns out that after about 15 hours with Dragon Age Inquisition, I'm actually enjoying the party-based, pause-and-click combat.

I guess I'm going to have to check out Divinity and Path of Exile after all.

hometeam 04-08-2019 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14197975)
So it turns out that after about 15 hours with Dragon Age Inquisition, I'm actually enjoying the party-based, pause-and-click combat.

I guess I'm going to have to check out Divinity and Path of Exile after all.

Divinity is somewhat similar, path of exile is like diablo.

If you like that sort of combat, you might enjoy all of the newish Baldurs Gate inspired games - Pillars of eternity 1 and 2 and Tyranny. Between all of these games you should have a whole summer full~

Imon Yourside 04-09-2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 14198649)
Divinity is somewhat similar, path of exile is like diablo.

If you like that sort of combat, you might enjoy all of the newish Baldurs Gate inspired games - Pillars of eternity 1 and 2 and Tyranny. Between all of these games you should have a whole summer full~

I've played Poe many times but it just never grabs me, I guess it was kind of ruined for me when it released half cheesy with bad graphics and bad level design. I know it's gotten better but it still doesn't grab me despite the cool socketing system. Still waiting for the online Torchlight experience.

Anyone remember the SSI Dungeons and Dragons games from the 1990's? I loved those things even though today they would be considered cheesy as can be the turn based combat was really fun.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/myFzzfx8D0k" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fishpicker 04-10-2019 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imon Yourside (Post 14199530)
I've played Poe many times but it just never grabs me, I guess it was kind of ruined for me when it released half cheesy with bad graphics and bad level design. I know it's gotten better but it still doesn't grab me despite the cool socketing system. Still waiting for the online Torchlight experience.

Anyone remember the SSI Dungeons and Dragons games from the 1990's? I loved those things even though today they would be considered cheesy as can be the turn based combat was really fun.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/myFzzfx8D0k" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

yeah, I played a few of those.

I remember really liking eye of the beholder though I could'nt beat it
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NH40hICuonI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NewChief 04-10-2019 08:03 AM

Back in my day, we played Ultima IV, and we liked it!

Imon Yourside 04-10-2019 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 14200319)
Back in my day, we played Ultima IV, and we liked it!

My initial addiction on RPG's came from playing Ultima III, I can still hear the music from my commodore 64 playing from that awesome game. :)

Imon Yourside 04-10-2019 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishpicker (Post 14200259)
yeah, I played a few of those.

I remember really liking eye of the beholder though I could'nt beat it
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NH40hICuonI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I definitely preferred Wizardry VII Crusaders of the Dark Savant to about anything else in those times. The series kind of died off but those were some fond memories.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jWmWjb70liE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

htismaqe 04-10-2019 01:53 PM

My first CRPG...

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=h...screen.jpg&f=1

Imon Yourside 04-10-2019 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14201017)

Remember Telengard? Evets?

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bzixGxIciB8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I played apple II games on a buddies computer but never owned one sadly. I remember Aztec, Hard Hat Mack and the ORIGINAL Castle Wolfenstein on Apple II back then but not any RPG's.

Fishpicker 04-10-2019 03:11 PM

https://www.old-games.com/

NewChief 04-11-2019 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imon Yourside (Post 14201117)
Remember Telengard? Evets?

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bzixGxIciB8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I played apple II games on a buddies computer but never owned one sadly. I remember Aztec, Hard Hat Mack and the ORIGINAL Castle Wolfenstein on Apple II back then but not any RPG's.

Oh man. Telengard. I forgot about that game.

Imon Yourside 04-11-2019 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 14201949)
Oh man. Telengard. I forgot about that game.

Someone remade a version that works in Windows 10 if you're still interested. I remember hacking it on the commodore 64. You could actually tear apart the code and put your own monsters/spells/etc into it.