ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music Pink Floyd The Wall (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=348959)

Otter 06-09-2023 02:42 PM

Pink Floyd The Wall

Got into a discussion about this album yesterday evening with some co-workers. Some very polarizing opinions came up to say the least.
  • Too dark
  • Can't dance to it
  • It's a story in song that makes no sense
  • And so on and so forth

I love it to be honest. Yes, it's dark but it's supposed to be dark and if you're trying to interpret it as a simple linear, simple story you've already lost the battle.

I've never looked up anyone else's interpretation and probably never will. I think it's simply a story about a musician that's gone mad from drug use and fame. Mommy issues didn't help either.

01 - Sucks
10 - Pure Awesomeness

Zebedee DuBois 06-09-2023 09:20 PM

I always enjoy listening to Floyd songs

alpha_omega 06-09-2023 09:28 PM

9. Has one of the best guitar solos I’ve ever heard (twice in the same song).

displacedinMN 06-09-2023 09:34 PM

Listened to the whole album a few times.

Need to watch the movie.

Stryker 06-09-2023 10:14 PM

Pink Floyd The Wall - INCREDIBLE! How can you NOT love it?

The Franchise 06-09-2023 10:41 PM

Not my favorite Floyd album but definitely a classic.

EPodolak 06-09-2023 11:32 PM

Their fourth masterpiece in a row. I haven't listened to all four sides in a long time, but for me thematically it's a pretty great album. I've thought the Dark Side of the Moon was their most mature record on those themes, and it would have made more sense had the Wall come years before DSOTM instead of the reverse. Anyway it gets a top rating from me.

Frazod 06-10-2023 12:18 AM

Great album. Comfortably Numb is one of the greatest songs of all time.

Ironically, the song on the album I probably like the least is Another Brick in the Wall, which seems to get the most airplay on the handful of classic rock stations that I listen to. Much like Bohemian Rhapsody, I never really cared all that much for it, have heard it a million times, and now I'm just sick of it.

Never get tired of Comfortably Numb, though.

trndobrd 06-10-2023 05:52 AM

Not even among top three Pink Floyd Albums. For me it is a coin flip for 4th place with Meddle. The Wall does contain some truly great songs, Comfortably Numb first among them, but there is just too much self-indulgent filler that Roger Waters should have left at the therapist office to justify a double album.

Still...it's Pink Floyd, so I give it an 8.

Third Eye 06-10-2023 08:15 AM

A few incredible songs, but mostly overly indulgent schlock. I loved it as a teenager, but as a 40 something it barely ranks ahead of solo Roger stuff, which is to say I’m not much of a fan. It ranks somewhere around 7th or 8th in terms of my favorite Floyd albums.

Hog Rider 06-10-2023 08:21 AM

Roger Water explains it masterfully in his "Inner View" with Jim Ladd

I received a two album copy of the broadcast when I called and asked for a transcript a few decades ago.

stevieray 06-10-2023 08:26 AM

It's a masterpiece, a horribly tragic story beautifully displayed.

Can't dance to it? LMAO

Shut up and put some headphones on when you listen to it.

Pablo 06-10-2023 08:33 AM

If you should go skating on the thin ice of modern life...

Album has some absolute classics on it. It's probably 3 or 4 for Floyd albums for me personally but I love it.

Pepe Silvia 06-10-2023 11:26 AM

Watch it and eat some mushrooms.

Just Passin' By 06-10-2023 12:18 PM

It's not as good as Dark Side Of The Moon, but it's a great album.

Frazod 06-10-2023 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 16976454)
If you should go skating on the thin ice of modern life...

Album has some absolute classics on it. It's probably 3 or 4 for Floyd albums for me personally but I love it.

My favorite line: There must have been a door there in the wall, when I came in.

Pablo 06-10-2023 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16976659)
My favorite line: There must have been a door there in the wall, when I came in.

Sooooo many good ones. It's Floyd, it's always excellent.

If they catch you in the backseat tryin to pick her locks they're gonna ship you back to mother in a carboard box you better run!

Pablo 06-10-2023 01:33 PM

That intro/scene of Goodbye Blue Sky ****ing gets me every time.

And goddamned if Young Lust doesn't make me turn the radio to 11 every single time. Without fail

siberian khatru 06-10-2023 01:33 PM

The Wall is what got me into Pink Floyd, and got me seriously into music.

I was 13 when The Wall came out, I saw the ads on TV for it featuring Gerald Scarfe's animation and thought it looked neat. So I bought it and had never heard anything like it before. I immediately went out and bought Dark Side of the Moon, which totally blew me away, and virtually every weekend I spent my allowance on a new Floyd album.

I remember going with friends to see The Wall movie when it first came out. Loved it, still do. Showed it to my youngest son a few years ago when he was probably 15, he loved it.

I still like The Wall, but I like Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, and Animals better. But I like The Wall enough to have bought the live boxset of it https://www.amazon.com/There-Anybody.../dp/B00004SVIK, which is very good.

I did see Roger Waters The Wall in concert a few years ago with my older son. Still one of the best concerts I've ever seen. I also saw it with my younger son performed in a small theater by a tribute band 2-3 years after that. It was surprisingly good, except for the guy behind us who kept talking and singing through it. At intermission his wife apologized to us.

Frazod 06-10-2023 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 16976674)
The Wall is what got me into Pink Floyd, and got me seriously into music.

I was 13 when The Wall came out, I saw the ads on TV for it featuring Gerald Scarfe's animation and thought it looked neat. So I bought it and had never heard anything like it before. I immediately went out and bought Dark Side of the Moon, which totally blew me away, and virtually every weekend I spent my allowance on a new Floyd album.

I remember going with friends to see The Wall movie when it first came out. Loved it, still do. Showed it to my youngest son a few years ago when he was probably 15, he loved it.

I still like The Wall, but I like Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, and Animals better. But I like The Wall enough to have bought the live boxset of it https://www.amazon.com/There-Anybody.../dp/B00004SVIK, which is very good.

I did see Roger Waters The Wall in concert a few years ago with my older son. Still one of the best concerts I've ever seen. I also saw it with my younger son performed in a small theater by a tribute band 2-3 years after that. It was surprisingly good, except for the guy behind us who kept talking and singing through it. At intermission his wife apologized to us.

God I hate that. 20+ years ago I went to see the Eagles at Milwaukee Summer Fest. They were of course the headliners and played last, so by the time they took the stage a good chunk of the idiot ass cheeseheads that surrounded us had been marinading in shitty Milwaukee beer for hours. We had decent seats, but their location could not drown out the two sloshed white trash imbeciles behind us, who felt compelled to bellow out the lyrics of every ****ing song along with Frey and Henley, right in my ****ing ear. I finally turned around and told them to shut the **** up, and I must have had a really scary look on my face because they did, but at that point the damage was done and the concert was ruined. Oh, you know the words? Guess what, idiots - THE SONGS ARE 30 YEARS OLD AND WE ALL KNOW THE WORDS. ****.

Last time I ever went to show like that. Bastards. Hopefully the died on the way back to the trailer park. :#

Mephistopheles Janx 06-10-2023 04:23 PM

The album has some bangers but overall I just don't care for Pink Floyd. I dislike rock operas and operas in general. No amount of drugs can make me listen to this album through it's entirety... and I've tried.

Stryker 06-10-2023 07:38 PM

Incredible album! This is one of their VERY best. Next best is "Pulse". Awesome band with originality. :thumb:

lcarus 06-10-2023 11:40 PM

Timeless masterpiece. I only had to give it a 9 because I like Dark Side of the Moon, Animals, and Wish You Were Here more.

Rasputin 06-11-2023 04:11 AM

Lad you can't have any pudding if you don't eat your meat.

InChiefsHeaven 06-11-2023 05:36 AM

...where we came in

I remember my dad hating on this and making fun of Another Brick in the Wall saying it sounded like they all needed some education...that made me like it even more...I was only like 7 or 8 when it came out, but by the early to mid 80's I was getting into music. Pink Floyd was one of those bands that metal heads just liked. I loved the Wall, I had it on cassette and wore it out. So many great tunes and the story is just unique. The movie was great too, but honestly I preferred just listening to the album in my room, sometimes with my brother who reaaaally dug Pink Floyd. That album is on the soundtrack of my early years for sure.

...so this is...

trndobrd 06-11-2023 07:38 AM

Not from The Wall, so a bit off topic.....still cracks me up every time.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1enfo8zn3_g" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

stumppy 06-11-2023 11:32 AM

Some blotter and The Wall always made for an enjoyable day, night, early morning. Depending on the quality of course.

Otter 06-11-2023 03:08 PM

Good think to see I'm not the only one with common sense. It's a classic and heady buzz helps it's not necessary.

:cheers:

Graystoke 06-12-2023 08:34 AM

Classic no doubt, but not one of my favorites.
If I were to list:
Wish You Were Here
Animals
Dark Side
The Wall
Ummagumma

phisherman 06-12-2023 09:29 AM

The Wall is good. Animals is better.

listopencil 06-12-2023 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16976380)

Ironically, the song on the album I probably like the least is Another Brick in the Wall, which seems to get the most airplay on the handful of classic rock stations that I listen to. Much like Bohemian Rhapsody, I never really cared all that much for it, have heard it a million times, and now I'm just sick of it.

Well...Comfortably Numb is pretty much perfect. The way the overall theme, the lyrics, and the music all work together is incredible. It's one of those songs that reminds you that music is Art.

Frazod 06-12-2023 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 16978361)
Well...Comfortably Numb is pretty much perfect. The way the overall theme, the lyrics, and the music all work together is incredible. It's one of those songs that reminds you that music is Art.

I realize it's a bit of an outlier, but my favorite Floyd song is On The Turning Away and it's not particularly close. Hell, that may be my favorite song period. I like Gilmour's solo at the end of that a lot more than Comfortably Numb.

Nickhead 06-13-2023 03:46 AM

i LOVE everything gilmore is involved in. waters is 'okay' :D

momentary lapse of reason and the division bell are my fav's

alpha_omega 06-13-2023 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16978863)
I realize it's a bit of an outlier, but my favorite Floyd song is On The Turning Away and it's not particularly close. Hell, that may be my favorite song period. I like Gilmour's solo at the end of that a lot more than Comfortably Numb.

Big statement!
I need to listen to Turning Away again cuz I don't remember the solo being that good.

Frazod 06-13-2023 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha_omega (Post 16979929)
Big statement!
I need to listen to Turning Away again cuz I don't remember the solo being that good.

Here you go. Starts at 3:25.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KjGXnSdVwCY" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

alpha_omega 06-13-2023 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16979951)
Here you go. Starts at 3:25.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KjGXnSdVwCY" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ya, that was pretty good...I remembered the song once I heard the groove. I especially liked what seemed like a slight tempo change about half way through the solo.

Excellent.

Pitt Gorilla 06-13-2023 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16976380)

Agree with all of this. Comfortably Numb is perfection, especially the Live 8 version.

Dartgod 06-13-2023 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepe Silvia (Post 16976550)
Watch it and eat some mushrooms.

That's how I watched the movie the first time.

WHOA...

Molitoth 06-13-2023 06:16 PM

the movie was a mind**** when you watch it for the first time... especially on mushrooms.

It's honestly a GREAT conceptual album.

That said... as far as PF albums, I would rank it down the list as far as replay-ability.

IMO The most replay value comes from:

1) Animals
2) Wish You Were Here
3) Dark Side of the Moon
4) PULSE

Everything else