ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Frazod's Great Technology Leap of 2023 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=349973)

Frazod 08-29-2023 07:42 AM

Frazod's Great Technology Leap of 2023

So here's the plan:

Step 1: Purchase or build new computer capable of running Starfield, which I realized a couple of weeks ago that my existing one isn't. Old computer goes to the wife. Wife's old computer, which was my previous computer and is at least 15 years old, failing and still running Windows 7, goes to the dungeon to join the massive collection of shit I should throw out but never do.

Step 2: Upgrade internet service from slow-as-**** overpriced AT&T to T-Mobile 5G (already existing phone service). It would be nice if Starfield didn't take a day and a half to download.

Step 3: Shitcan overpriced/now useless DTV, get Amazon firesticks for all the televisions.

Here's reality:

Step 1: Completed; mostly a success. Found a computer to buy that was pretty much as good and reasonably priced as anything my IT buddy and I could have built, with infinitely less grief. Got this:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...g443-gaming-pc

Works great; No issues (so far-knocking on wood). Pain in the ass reloading software and navigating the endless password/verification gauntlet, but eventually I got through it. The only real problem was with my old computer. The AIO CPU liquid cooler was starting to go, and whether it was just ironic timing or being jostled a bit during the relocation, it died almost immediately when I moved it to the new location. When I first fired it up the goddamn thing sounded like a dosimeter at Chernobyl. Eventually it quieted down, but apparently that just signaled its death, because soon after the computer shut down and wouldn't reboot because of overheating. God that pissed me off. So the replacement is out for delivery, and hopefully that will be successfully installed today. I don't trust myself and my limited skills to directly **** with the CPU, so IT buddy is coming over to deal with that one - I'll probably do the work, but under supervision.

Step 2: The new T-Mobile system is also supposed to be delivered today. They say it's easy to install. I'm assuming it will be a pain in the ass, because that's just how my luck rolls. I guess I'll find out later today.

Step 3: Commencing after the end of the month/baseball season, so the wife's nightly Braves viewing is not interrupted and she doesn't kill me in my sleep. Beyond watching a couple of YouTube videos, I know exactly dick about firesticks and this will be completely new territory for me. Seems easy enough in the videos. But I've learned that this shit is rarely as easy as they make it look. At least for me. I wonder if I have to remove/shitcan the dish myself, or if they'll come and get it. I guess I'll find that out in October.

Anyway, I'm old and cranky and mostly hate change of any sort, so I expect to be in Ari Gold mode over all this crap for the next month or so. But when I'm done everything should be much better, and by dumping AT&T/DTV, much cheaper, and I'll be happily enjoying Starfield. Wish me luck!

BleedingRed 08-29-2023 07:51 AM

(Microcenter didn't post right specs)

BleedingRed 08-29-2023 07:52 AM

Edit:
Why the **** does MicroCenter list it at 2.5Ghz?! Its Core clock is 3.4Ghz with boosted 5.2Ghz... CPU is fine

Frazod 08-29-2023 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 17077503)
Do not buy that computer

Too late. Why do you say that?

It has good reviews and I know I guy who owns one and hasn't had any problems.

KCUnited 08-29-2023 07:53 AM

MLB.tv is free through TMobile, or at least it was this season

Just sign up and download the app on your smart TV and wah lah, all the Braves games not being televised on MLB Network

Frazod 08-29-2023 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 17077511)
MLB.tv is free through TMobile, or at least it was this season

Just sign up and download the app on your smart TV and wah lah, all the Braves games not being televised on MLB Network

Thanks, I'll look into that.

I just hope I won't have any issues with the firestick on the downstairs TV, which is the one the wife generally watches. The computers are upstairs, so the T-Mobile box will also be upstairs.

Once I get the new internet up and running I'm going to buy a firestick to test it on the TV in the den (next to my computer) to get the hang of it, then get ones for the other two TVs.

BleedingRed 08-29-2023 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17077508)
Too late. Why do you say that?

It has good reviews and I know I guy who owns one and hasn't had any problems.

MicroCenter for WHAT every reason has the core clock listed at 2.5GHz, that was the red flag for me.

I checked its benchmark the CPU has MORE than enough power to run Starfield.

Its real Core Clock is 3.4Ghz with booster clock (Running game) of 5.2Ghz (You can over clock it but you wont need to)

Frazod 08-29-2023 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 17077518)
MicroCenter for WHAT every reason has the core clock listed at 2.5GHz, that was the red flag for me.

I checked its benchmark the CPU has MORE than enough power to run Starfield.

Its real Core Clock is 3.4Ghz with booster clock (Running game) of 5.2Ghz (You can over clock it but you wont need to)

So that's good, right? :D

KCUnited 08-29-2023 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17077517)
Thanks, I'll look into that.

I just hope I won't have any issues with the firestick on the downstairs TV, which is the one the wife generally watches. The computers are upstairs, so the T-Mobile box will also be upstairs.

Once I get the new internet up and running I'm going to buy a firestick to test it on the TV in the den (next to my computer) to get the hang of it, then get ones for the other two TVs.

Looks like TMobile is offering free MLB.tv through 2028

I mostly watch through a Firestick on a TV outside. Just download the MLB TV app from the Firestick menu screen and its like watching any other channel given your internet connect is solid.

Frazod 08-29-2023 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 17077563)
Looks like TMobile is offering free MLB.tv through 2028

I mostly watch through a Firestick on a TV outside. Just download the MLB TV app from the Firestick menu screen and its like watching any other channel given your internet connect is solid.

Just ordered a firestick.

lawrenceRaider 08-29-2023 10:24 AM

Frazod, I'll be curious how your gaming experience is on the T-Mobile internet. I've heard it is great for streaming, but the ping can be a bit high for good online game play.

Fish 08-29-2023 10:55 AM

Hopefully you're in a good area for your T-Mobile. Because the service can vary drastically. That's the only potential issue I see.

Be sure to update your video card drivers. There's recent updates for Starfield, and will likely include more once the game drops.

HemiEd 08-29-2023 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 17077892)
Hopefully you're in a good area for your T-Mobile. Because the service can vary drastically. That's the only potential issue I see.

Be sure to update your video card drivers. There's recent updates for Starfield, and will likely include more once the game drops.

Several of our neighbors switched from Verizon to T-Mobile and were flaunting it like some kind of new awesome development.

Seems like every time I try to talk to one of them the call gets dropped.

Good luck with it Tim, hopefully it is much better up there in the metropolis.

Frazod 08-29-2023 02:02 PM

So the CPU cooler and the T-Mobile thing are here.

Any slight hope I had of being able to install the cooler were dashed when I looked at the instruction sheet, which is basically nothing more than a couple of exploded diagrams and instructions for setting the bios, so basically its instructions for people who don't need instructions. Shit might as well be in Sanskrit as far as my ignorant ass is concerned. Probably don't need thermal paste, but since there was no mention of thermal paste on the instruction sheet, I stopped by Best Buy and got some just in case. So that will be taken care of when IT guy gets here. Of course IT guy has an IT job, so he said tonight but he's basically on call all the time and obviously work comes first. So all that shit is sitting there pending his arrival. I did at least get all the prep work done.

As for the T-Mobile thing, it's still in the box. I'm going to suck down some more of my 4-shot latte and then tackle that one momentarily.

And the first Guinea pig firestick should be here tomorrow.

Woohoo.

Frazod 08-29-2023 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 17077817)
Frazod, I'll be curious how your gaming experience is on the T-Mobile internet. I've heard it is great for streaming, but the ping can be a bit high for good online game play.

I don't play anything online. Gaming is me time, not us time.

Frazod 08-29-2023 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 17078242)
Several of our neighbors switched from Verizon to T-Mobile and were flaunting it like some kind of new awesome development.

Seems like every time I try to talk to one of them the call gets dropped.

Good luck with it Tim, hopefully it is much better up there in the metropolis.

Hopefully. Neither Verizon nor AT&T offered an equivalent for my area, so they won by default.

I'll know shortly.

Frazod 08-29-2023 02:14 PM

Of course my IT buddy is giving me shit for being completely paranoid about removing the old cooling system. But he thinks at a master level and I'm a barely at apprentice level, so I'll just take the abuse. Working on/around my computer's CPU is number three on the list of things that scare me, right after sharks (**** you Spielberg) and, after wrecking my knee last year, ladders.

Jewish Rabbi 08-29-2023 02:58 PM

If you're having issues getting the old cooling system out you could just shoot it

Frazod 08-29-2023 03:02 PM

New internet up and running. Pleasantly surprised. It was as easy as advertised. Five bar strength. Now I'm going to see how long it takes to download a game. I think I'll start with Witcher 3.

Frazod 08-29-2023 03:10 PM

Holy shit - this is like going from a biplane to a stealth fighter. I'm damned near on verge of tears! The entire game will download in less than half an hour. On the shit I had before, it would have taken six hours or longer.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8_39x9kq4aU" title="Excalibur 1981 I Didn&#39;t Know How Empty My Soul Was" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BleedingRed 08-29-2023 03:11 PM

Reminder online video games take Kb's of data not Mb.... Now if you are using Voice Comm's that is different.

Frazod 08-29-2023 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 17078752)
Reminder online video games take KB's of data not MB.... Now if you are using Voice Comm's that is different.

I don't do online games. Ever.

BleedingRed 08-29-2023 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17078748)
Holy shit - this is like going from a biplane to a stealth fighter. I'm damned near on verge of tears! The entire game will download in less than half an hour. On the shit I had before, it would have taken six hours or longer.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8_39x9kq4aU" title="Excalibur 1981 I Didn&#39;t Know How Empty My Soul Was" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Happy for you bud,

I would also suggest hard wiring from modem to computer if possible.

Frazod 08-29-2023 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 17078761)
Happy for you bud,

I would also suggest hard wiring from modem to computer if possible.

Already done. :thumb:

One of the features of the mobile app was using the camera to find the best spot for gateway device. I assumed that would be near the window, but instead it was right next to my computer. They're less than six inches apart.

Still pretty much dumbfounded by how awesome this is. Haven't been this happy since the Chiefs won their latest Super Bowl.

Frazod 08-29-2023 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17078717)
New internet up and running. Pleasantly surprised. It was as easy as advertised. Five bar strength. Now I'm going to see how long it takes to download a game. I think I'll start with Witcher 3.

Started the 5.5 GB download at 4:03. It was completed in 32 minutes.

:wayne:

Imon Yourside 08-29-2023 06:48 PM

Frazod gets out of the stone age :)

Congrats buddy

Demonpenz 08-29-2023 07:48 PM

Sounds fun good luck

Mephistopheles Janx 08-29-2023 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imon Yourside (Post 17079319)
Frazod gets out of the stone age :)

Congrats buddy

The 4770k processor that we both had in our previous rigs still meets the minimum requirements of most games and can be highly overclocked as well.

That said... Starfield's minimum requirements are a 4790k which means it was definitely time to say goodbye to that rig.

Congrats on the upgrade Frazod. I love my 3070 video card so I know you must be enjoying yours. :D

Frazod 08-29-2023 09:01 PM

The old computer, which really never had a problem before, has now apparently become possessed. New cooling system installed, core temperature fine, but for some reason the ****ing thing now won't recognize the goddamn SSD.

I unplugged it and moved it ten feet. You'd think I dropped it off the roof.

I've started drinking now.

:cuss:

lewdog 08-29-2023 09:21 PM

This thread reminds me of the time it took me 2 years to convince my parents to get real internet and understand how easy streaming can be.

Frazod 08-29-2023 09:24 PM

So either the hard drive is dead or the SSD is dead. Either way, shit ain't getting fixed tonight.

And I'm now out of southern. Fairly hammerred right now. Switching to rum, just because it's within reach.

And people wonder why I ****ing hate computers.

https://i.imgur.com/UQKrvcx.gif?noredirect

Buehler445 08-29-2023 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17079500)
So either the hard drive is dead or the SSD is dead. Either way, shit ain't getting fixed tonight.

And I'm now out of southern. Fairly hammerred right now. Switching to rum, just because it's within reach.

And people wonder why I ****ing hate computers.

https://i.imgur.com/UQKrvcx.gif?noredirect

Shoot that thing into the sun.

Does she need a shitload of capacity? Maybe just go buy her a new one.

Frazod 08-29-2023 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 17079574)
Shoot that thing into the sun.

Does she need a shitload of capacity? Maybe just go buy her a new one.

I just spent two grand on a new one; the last thing I want to do is buy another computer. The whole idea was I wasn't supposed to spend shit on the old one I'm handing down to her. :banghead:

This whole thing is just maddening. No, she doesn't a shitload of capacity. But she does need her own computer, and the really old one is so far gone there's no point in trying to salvage it. Can't even upgrade the OS because of the way it was built (something about a partition that interfered with the free Windows update), so it's running on 7 and hasn't had support for a couple of years now. The newer one either has a bad SSD or a bad motherboard (or the way my luck is running, both). If it's the SSD, I'll need to purchase a new OS and reload EVERYTHING. If it's the motherboard, I'll need to replace that, which will a require complete rebuild. Either way it's a huge pain in the ass. And the odds of two major components failing at the same time are really low, but I hit that shitty jackpot all the same.

At least I won't be hungover in the morning. I drank so much so fast that I'm basically sober now. But I'll still be pissed.

lawrenceRaider 08-30-2023 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17078490)
I don't play anything online. Gaming is me time, not us time.

Cool.

lawrenceRaider 08-30-2023 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17079579)
I just spent two grand on a new one; the last thing I want to do is buy another computer. The whole idea was I wasn't supposed to spend shit on the old one I'm handing down to her. :banghead:

This whole thing is just maddening. No, she doesn't a shitload of capacity. But she does need her own computer, and the really old one is so far gone there's no point in trying to salvage it. Can't even upgrade the OS because of the way it was built (something about a partition that interfered with the free Windows update), so it's running on 7 and hasn't had support for a couple of years now. The newer one either has a bad SSD or a bad motherboard (or the way my luck is running, both). If it's the SSD, I'll need to purchase a new OS and reload EVERYTHING. If it's the motherboard, I'll need to replace that, which will a require complete rebuild. Either way it's a huge pain in the ass. And the odds of two major components failing at the same time are really low, but I hit that shitty jackpot all the same.

At least I won't be hungover in the morning. I drank so much so fast that I'm basically sober now. But I'll still be pissed.

Shoot man, just snag her a Chrome laptop. Cheap, and they work well with a decent internet connection.

BleedingRed 08-30-2023 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 17079499)
This thread reminds me of the time it took me 2 years to convince my parents to get real internet and understand how easy streaming can be.

I moved my grandparents to FireSticks because they could talk to the remote

Buehler445 08-30-2023 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 17079728)
Shoot man, just snag her a Chrome laptop. Cheap, and they work well with a decent internet connection.

Yeah. Even if it isnt, I’m guessing a lower end desktop can be had for $500, and if a Mobo or SSD is 300 and your time is worth anything it’s probably a wash. Plus you don’t have to wait on parts or risk it being something else ****ing dumb.

Frazod 08-30-2023 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 17079499)

This wasn't me not wanting to upgrade to better internet. There simply wasn't anything better available until recently. Which is really strange considering where I live.

Frazod 08-30-2023 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 17079968)
Yeah. Even if it isnt, I’m guessing a lower end desktop can be had for $500, and if a Mobo or SSD is 300 and your time is worth anything it’s probably a wash. Plus you don’t have to wait on parts or risk it being something else ****ing dumb.

New SSD ordered. Assuming its the drive and not the motherboard, this should be resolved on Friday. Too much time and effort dedicated to fixing the goddamn thing at this point to simply punt.

Frazod 08-30-2023 11:27 AM

First firestick has been delivered. So now I'm going to start ****ing around with that. I'm also kind of hungover. This should be fun.

Buehler445 08-30-2023 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17079988)
New SSD ordered. Assuming its the drive and not the motherboard, this should be resolved on Friday. Too much time and effort dedicated to fixing the goddamn thing at this point to simply punt.

You and I have different views on hardware and sunk costs.

Granted I use mine mostly for business, but I have a quick trigger on this shit. I don’t have a ton of room in my life for ducking with computers. I start really looking at the performance of the machine at 2 years. If it’s not giving me shit I’ll do 3 but sometimes just 2 years, and then I wipe them and install office and Dropbox and they go to the tractors.

The manufacturers make them to be disposable so I oblige.

Frazod 08-30-2023 01:07 PM

Firestick installed in the bedroom TV. Pain in the ass dealing with passwords, but I've got most of the apps I already had loaded. Playing with the Alexa thing, which I don't like and would never use for anything but the TV. Going to go ahead and order another one for the downstairs TV. Since the den TV is hooked up to my primary computer, I'm not going to bother getting one for it.

I figure the next week or so should be a real pain for us, but after that it should be fine. Probably a couple of days away from cancelling DTV. That will be a relief.

gh4chiefs 08-30-2023 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17080225)
Firestick installed in the bedroom TV

Just out of curiosity, why did you go with Firestick over Roku for example. I used to be deep in the Amazon ecosystem but I hate how they’ve messed with the interface over the years.

At one point I had the Recast for an OTA DVR, it worked good but it kept losing connection with my home network and was a ROYAL pain in the ass to reconnect. Eventually I gave up on it and started moving away from Firestick.

EPodolak 08-30-2023 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17080225)
Firestick installed in the bedroom TV. Pain in the ass dealing with passwords, but I've got most of the apps I already had loaded. Playing with the Alexa thing, which I don't like and would never use for anything but the TV. Going to go ahead and order another one for the downstairs TV. Since the den TV is hooked up to my primary computer, I'm not going to bother getting one for it.

I figure the next week or so should be a real pain for us, but after that it should be fine. Probably a couple of days away from cancelling DTV. That will be a relief.

Will probably back off of Directv myself soon. I'm attached to it though, it's all we've used the last twenty years. In fact I may just suspend it until football season is over, we still really like it.

Frazod 08-30-2023 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gh4chiefs (Post 17081020)
Just out of curiosity, why did you go with Firestick over Roku for example. I used to be deep in the Amazon ecosystem but I hate how they’ve messed with the interface over the years.

At one point I had the Recast for an OTA DVR, it worked good but it kept losing connection with my home network and was a ROYAL pain in the ass to reconnect. Eventually I gave up on it and started moving away from Firestick.

Firestick was the one I was familiar with and had heard people talk about. That's pretty much it.

gh4chiefs 08-31-2023 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17081211)
Firestick was the one I was familiar with and had heard people talk about. That's pretty much it.

I was just wondering if there was an advantage I was missing out on.

Honestly I don’t use Roku or Firestick either one as much anymore I got new LG C2 tv earlier this year and it has nearly all the apps I want built in. Works pretty well so far.

I will say this about Firestick. When I’m down at the farm and just have a shitty att mobile hotspot signal for WiFi, the Firestick seems to work better than Roku.

Frazod 08-31-2023 05:57 AM

One thing I've learned is that in order to get local channels, I'll need to get some sort of service like Hulu, Sling or YouTubeTV (or **** around with antennas, which I'm not going to do because I'd need to mount one for each TV). I was all set to get Hulu, since it includes Disney Plus, but apparently Hulu and Sling don't work and play well with T-Mobile. The reason is that T-Mobile, being completely wireless, will occasionally change your IP address (because... reasons), and Hulu interprets this as you attempting to use the service away from your home, so their service stops working without notice. Restoring it requires calling customer service, since it has to be fixed on their end, or logging out and back in with a mobile device. And that's a pain in the ass I'm simply not willing to deal with, especially in the middle of a game. Since T-Mobile is my only decent high speed option, it looks like YouTubeTV is the service I'm going with, regardless of whether or not I continue Sunday Ticket. Some good news - I've seen that they also have an arrangement with T-Mobile, so I should be able to get a break on the monthly subscription price. Have to check on that. The bad news is I still have to pay extra for Disney Plus. And I probably won't go with Sunday Ticket for now, since pretty much all Chiefs games are either in prime time or locally broadcast. I might miss a couple of them or have to find some backdoor stream, but there's no need to pay through the nose for a service I've barely needed since the Chiefs became the NFL's apex predator.

I may end up dumping some other services that I rarely use, like Netflix and Apple TV.

Also checked on what I have to do with my DTV shit when I cancel with them. I'll probably have to return the various boxes (dump them at a local FedEx or UPS store at no charge, if they want them back at all), but not the dish itself. Which means getting the ****ing thing off the side of my house is on me, but there's no need to do it immediately (or ever, I guess, if I don't mind it being there).

lawrenceRaider 08-31-2023 07:48 AM

How far out do you live from a major city? I just use an antenna. My folks do as well and they are 15 or so miles north of Springfield.

Fish 08-31-2023 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17081271)
One thing I've learned is that in order to get local channels, I'll need to get some sort of service like Hulu, Sling or YouTubeTV (or **** around with antennas, which I'm not going to do because I'd need to mount one for each TV). I was all set to get Hulu, since it includes Disney Plus, but apparently Hulu and Sling don't work and play well with T-Mobile. The reason is that T-Mobile, being completely wireless, will occasionally change your IP address (because... reasons), and Hulu interprets this as you attempting to use the service away from your home, so their service stops working without notice. Restoring it requires calling customer service, since it has to be fixed on their end, or logging out and back in with a mobile device. And that's a pain in the ass I'm simply not willing to deal with, especially in the middle of a game. Since T-Mobile is my only decent high speed option, it looks like YouTubeTV is the service I'm going with, regardless of whether or not I continue Sunday Ticket. Some good news - I've seen that they also have an arrangement with T-Mobile, so I should be able to get a break on the monthly subscription price. Have to check on that. The bad news is I still have to pay extra for Disney Plus. And I probably won't go with Sunday Ticket for now, since pretty much all Chiefs games are either in prime time or locally broadcast. I might miss a couple of them or have to find some backdoor stream, but there's no need to pay through the nose for a service I've barely needed since the Chiefs became the NFL's apex predator.

I may end up dumping some other services that I rarely use, like Netflix and Apple TV.

Also checked on what I have to do with my DTV shit when I cancel with them. I'll probably have to return the various boxes (dump them at a local FedEx or UPS store at no charge, if they want them back at all), but not the dish itself. Which means getting the ****ing thing off the side of my house is on me, but there's no need to do it immediately (or ever, I guess, if I don't mind it being there).

YoutubeTV does the same location check that Hulu and others do. Not every single time you open the app. But every 3 months, it requires you to do a location check from your home address. Not sure if that will give you an issues with T-Mobile.

Zebedee DuBois 08-31-2023 10:21 AM

I have T-Mobile internet and YouTubeTV.

I still have HULU, but not the LiveTV version - that doesn't work with TM
On YouTubeTV, you can enter your zip code, so that it will load your local ABC,CBS,NBC,PBS, and Fox channels.
You will find that despite that - you will get commercials and search results that are not local. If your streaming service airs ads, they may be from out of state. When you do a search from your laptop for Lowes or Best Buy - it will probably default your local store to somewhere that is not your local store. Easy enough to change, but still off-putting.

Zebedee DuBois 08-31-2023 10:29 AM

I was getting ad-free Hulu for $14/month.
The offered a bundle of Hulu with ads, ESPN+, Disney+ for $11, after 3 months it went up to $16/month.
I intended to cancel, but haven't. There are always a few games on ESPN+ I like to catch.

gh4chiefs 08-31-2023 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17081271)
or **** around with antennas, which I'm not going to do because I'd need to mount one for each TV).

Well I can’t believe I’m going to suggest this given my experience but I thought I’d throw this out just a FYI. Since you already have Firesticks you might want to look at the Amazon Recast. You hook it to the antenna and you can stream either a live OTA signal or recorded content to each TV with a Firestick.

And thanks for the heads up on Hulu and T-Mobile, you kept me from making a mistake.

Loneiguana 08-31-2023 11:51 AM

I don't know hard it was to set up, but the guy who owned my house before me installed a nice antenna in the attic. He then ran the cable down the walls. I only have it hooked up the the living room TV, but if I wanted a TV in the bedroom, I could hook it to the antenna. Same with downstairs.

It's get HD and picks up a lot of channels for rural missouri.

Again, I don't know what it cost or how hard it was to install. I'm glad he did it though. We were easily able to cut the cord with that. I'd try to duplicate this set up if I happen to ever move.

lawrenceRaider 08-31-2023 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loneiguana (Post 17081840)
I don't know hard it was to set up, but the guy who owned my house before me installed a nice antenna in the attic. He then ran the cable down the walls. I only have it hooked up the the living room TV, but if I wanted a TV in the bedroom, I could hook it to the antenna. Same with downstairs.

It's get HD and picks up a lot of channels for rural missouri.

Again, I don't know what it cost or how hard it was to install. I'm glad he did it though. We were easily able to cut the cord with that. I'd try to duplicate this set up if I happen to ever move.

Might be easier to get an HDHomerun box and connect the antenna to that instead of running all the wires. Most people are running something that can use the HDHomerun app. Works great on my network.

Frazod 08-31-2023 02:33 PM

I don't want to **** around with antennas. I live in a townhouse so I can't put anything on the roof, and I've had very limited success with interior antennas previously, although to be fair that was several years ago.

I'm just going to get YouTubeTV and be done with it. I'm still coming out way ahead compared to what I've been paying for DTV/AT&T.

gh4chiefs 09-01-2023 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17082117)
I don't want to **** around with antennas. I live in a townhouse so I can't put anything on the roof, and I've had very limited success with interior antennas previously, although to be fair that was several years ago.

I'm just going to get YouTubeTV and be done with it. I'm still coming out way ahead compared to what I've been paying for DTV/AT&T.

Yeah I get it. I live in a condo and have the same issue.

Frazod 09-02-2023 05:05 PM

Last TV connected via Firestick. Cancelling AT&T/DTV right now. I'm on hold with the AT&T guy. Bracing myself for any last minute ****ery they might pull.

displacedinMN 09-03-2023 12:01 PM

Isnt this digital/streaming/etc a big pain in the ass?
it is not easier than before.

Frazod-I have a lot of things connected to Alexa. At first I thought it was overkill. But I like automation. My outdoor lights come on at a designated time and turn off at a designated time. I can tell Alexa to do things. I have Alexa play playlists for Halloween and Christmas to make my outside lights move.

Having it turn on my stove or looking inside my fridge from Belize would be too much.

Frazod 09-03-2023 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 17085345)
Isnt this digital/streaming/etc a big pain in the ass?
it is not easier than before.

Frazod-I have a lot of things connected to Alexa. At first I thought it was overkill. But I like automation. My outdoor lights come on at a designated time and turn off at a designated time. I can tell Alexa to do things. I have Alexa play playlists for Halloween and Christmas to make my outside lights move.

Having it turn on my stove or looking inside my fridge from Belize would be too much.

It was a pain in the ass getting everything set up, but I'm fine with it now. I was worried that the wife would be annoyed, but she seems to prefer the new service.

And I don't do Alexa.

Bearcat 09-09-2023 04:47 PM

I'm curious about your TMobile Internet service now that it's been a couple weeks.... still seeing the same speed/performance as you did to start?

scho63 09-10-2023 04:16 PM

I really thought this was going to be a thread on how you upgraded to a fridge with an icemaker.

Frazod 09-10-2023 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 17098534)
I'm curious about your TMobile Internet service now that it's been a couple weeks.... still seeing the same speed/performance as you did to start?

Not that I've noticed. Everything seems fine.

And the issue with the old computer is resolved. Not sure how it happened, but the old BIOS settings got ****ed up, and the solution was in an obscure dropdown menu that my buddy missed the first time. After he addressed that and tinkered with some other shit it's working fine now. Ended up buying a new hard drive for no reason, but it was a cheap one so now real harm done.

So it's all done. A bit more of a pain than it should have been, but overall I'm very happy with the results.

Buehler445 09-11-2023 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17101040)

And the issue with the old computer is resolved. Not sure how it happened, but the old BIOS settings got ****ed up, and the solution was in an obscure dropdown menu that my buddy missed the first time. After he addressed that and tinkered with some other shit it's working fine now. Ended up buying a new hard drive for no reason, but it was a cheap one so now real harm done.

So it's all done. A bit more of a pain than it should have been, but overall I'm very happy with the results.

Good.

**** DTV.

Bearcat 09-17-2023 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17101040)

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/wisdom_of_the_ancients.png

HemiEd 09-17-2023 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17084806)
Last TV connected via Firestick. Cancelling AT&T/DTV right now. I'm on hold with the AT&T guy. Bracing myself for any last minute ****ery they might pull.

I hear ya, we just cancelled Dish this week, I spent over 40 minutes on the phone and gave up, Mrs. got it done the next day by spending most of the morning on hold.

Frazod 09-17-2023 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 17111589)
I hear ya, we just cancelled Dish this week, I spent over 40 minutes on the phone and gave up, Mrs. got it done the next day by spending most of the morning on hold.

Actually, AT&T was all that bad. The only thing they did was not tell me about a second piece of equipment they wanted back. Seemed too good to be true that they'd only want one receiver. So I called them, and after about 15 minutes the guy confirmed that they also wanted the router back. Had I gone by the initial email they'd have come after for an additional $150, and while I probably could have gotten out of it, it would have been a pain in the ass and really made me angry. But that 15 minutes was a big deal. Ounce of prevention, as they say.

Doing fine without Sunday Ticket. Today's game is being broadcast locally, as usual. Obviously next week's game will be as well, but I'll be watching that one in person.