ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto What are your winter projects for this year? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=350644)

Mephistopheles Janx 10-21-2023 03:45 PM

What are your winter projects for this year?

I've never done this kind of thing before but in a bid to learn something I've decided to take on a project that involves engines and welding... both things that I'm not all that experienced with.

So I picked up a 1993 Suzuki DR 350 with a blown engine for $200. The seat and all but one plastic is all there. Tires seem to be in pretty decent shape, hand controls are all there, headlight is still there. Basically... it is a complete dirt bike minus a working engine.

https://i.imgur.com/QmFbLbN.jpg

When an engine costs more to rebuild than to replace... then we replace.

I intend to put in a Predator 212cc (Harbor Freight FTW) engine with a "stage 1" air intake and exhaust (in which I use the exhaust that is already on the bike). That baby is gonna make a whopping 9HP... but that is more than enough juice to move the bike around the farm which is all I am looking for out of this.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="o0bklih"><a href="https://imgur.com/o0bklih">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

----

What projects do you intend to take on this winter, if any?

TrebMaxx 10-21-2023 03:47 PM

You will have to ask my wife.

lewdog 10-21-2023 03:47 PM

Being outside in shorts and a T-shirt as much as possible all winter.

Can’t wait!

FlaChief58 10-21-2023 03:50 PM

I have some wood on our deck to replace and it's time to pressure wash our fence, drive and house again. Same as every year

stevieray 10-21-2023 03:50 PM

Painting SRV on a hood for my s10.

..building another minibike.

displacedinMN 10-21-2023 03:50 PM

Not freeze.

Outdoors ends when the snow files.

All cars have good batteries.

smithandrew051 10-21-2023 03:53 PM

Super Bowl parade in February

Jewish Rabbi 10-21-2023 04:11 PM

Fill up a 1 gallon jug with semen by masterbating

Mephistopheles Janx 10-21-2023 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 17179993)
Painting SRV on a hood for my s10.

..building another minibike.

Three questions...

1) Do you rebuild the engines or do you do engine swaps on those things?

2) Where do you shot for parts? GoPowerSports.com seems to be the go-to for everyone on youtube.

3) What do you do with them after building them? Is there a market for them? I constantly see them for sale on Marketplace so either there is a huge demand or a massive oversaturation of those things.

TIA

Peter Gibbons 10-21-2023 04:20 PM

Full kitchen remodel. I’ll be using my favorite two tools to complete the project: my phone and my checkbook.

MahomesMagic 10-21-2023 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 17179987)
Being outside in shorts and a T-shirt as much as possible all winter.

Can’t wait!

Planning the same.

Reerun_KC 10-21-2023 04:24 PM

Not much. Netflix, some hot tub time with the Mrs. Bonus days are $1500 a day. So will probably pick up 4 in Jan and Feb. I’m gonna be a quiet winter.

lewdog 10-21-2023 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 17180038)
Not much. Netflix, some hot tub time with the Mrs. Bonus days are $1500 a day. So will probably pick up 4 in Jan and Feb. I’m gonna be a quiet winter.

Is that for being a Hitman?

Reerun_KC 10-21-2023 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 17180041)
Is that for being a Hitman?

I’m not that cool.

BigRedChief 10-21-2023 04:29 PM

What’s this “winter” you’re talking about?

FlaChief58 10-21-2023 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 17180048)
What’s this “winter” you’re talking about?

He means second summer

BWillie 10-21-2023 04:33 PM

Gotta break up all the concrete in the basement. Decades and dead hookers down there.

Reerun_KC 10-21-2023 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17180060)
Gotta break up all the concrete in the basement. Decades and dead hookers down there.

Send pictures

Monticore 10-21-2023 04:45 PM

Spending 5-7 days a week at the rink and shoveling snow , same as every year.

FloridaMan88 10-21-2023 04:57 PM

Figuring out how I will accommodate displaying additional Super Bowl swag in my home office for a fourth Chiefs Super Bowl trophy.

Buehler445 10-21-2023 10:05 PM

A pissload of financial projections and analysis.

I’m not excited.

Rain Man 10-21-2023 10:31 PM

My first task is to hang up the charger for my new vacuum cleaner. That won't take long.

I have to do my quarterly budget updates, which is a pain in the neck but always interesting to see.

My next task is to clean out some glass lamp globes that are a pain in the neck to clean.

Then we go from there.

loochy 10-22-2023 06:57 AM

I'm going to deck my attic and install an electric lift

Graystoke 10-22-2023 07:19 AM

Nice bike, seems like you got a decent price. Bonus that it came wit a Safari tank
I enjoy rebuilding motorcycles in the winter. Expect the unexpected.
For good forum advice go to Adventure Rider and perhaps used parts as well.

https://www.advrider.com/f/

DaFace 10-22-2023 07:37 AM

Ski a lot.

BigRedChief 10-22-2023 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17180060)

We are remolding all our bathrooms. In the master we wanted to enlarge the shower so we had to take out the whole floor past the concrete to move the pipes. Wife was worried about snakes coming up through the hole and bite us or attack the dog.

MIAdragon 10-22-2023 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 17180521)
Ski a lot.

My knees hurt just reading this.

Chris Meck 10-22-2023 08:33 AM

The February before Covid hit, I ordered 8 JBL monitor 'clones' that were allegedly made in the same factory with the same components online. They had good reviews and I saved a few grand. I figured I'd try them and if they were not up to par I'd send them back. Covid hit, SXSW was cancelled, and I missed my window.

They're bullshit, terrible, not even close to being what I ordered I found out many months later. But the boxes are nice, low profile stage monitor boxes. So I'll spend what I saved on real speakers to put in them and junk the cheap crap they're loaded with.

Lesson learned. The upside is that I can customize them to my own specs at least. And in the end, they'll be killer.

Buehler445 10-22-2023 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 17180558)
The February before Covid hit, I ordered 8 JBL monitor 'clones' that were allegedly made in the same factory with the same components online. They had good reviews and I saved a few grand. I figured I'd try them and if they were not up to par I'd send them back. Covid hit, SXSW was cancelled, and I missed my window.

They're bullshit, terrible, not even close to being what I ordered I found out many months later. But the boxes are nice, low profile stage monitor boxes. So I'll spend what I saved on real speakers to put in them and junk the cheap crap they're loaded with.

Lesson learned. The upside is that I can customize them to my own specs at least. And in the end, they'll be killer.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I've shifted back to buying known brands in a lot of cases. These goddamned companies (or maybe retailers or some consulting firm or some shit) are really good at listing the specs that they hit and omitting the ones they don't, and without boots on the ground, it's tough. Then add in paid reviews and shit and we're back to basically knowing nothing.

KCUnited 10-22-2023 09:17 AM

I have a 3 car tandem garage

I'm turning the tandem space into a home brewery with a 15 gallon electric system

The biggest expense, outside of the brew equipment, is installing a 240v 30w outlet to run the system. My electrical box is on the outside on the opposite wall so will have to run it through the house and into the garage but I'm justifying the expense as a resale value add for electric charging

I'm also installing a fully plumbed industrial sink with backsplash and ultimately a 4 tap kegerator with bar in the space

Also plan to install a track along the ceiling with a pulley system and deer hoist so I can move the equipment around myself

The brew system ships tomorrow after a 4 week lead time so I'm stoked move this project forward

Buehler445 10-22-2023 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 17180591)

I'm turning the tandem space into a home brewery with a 15 gallon electric system

The biggest expense, outside of the brew equipment, is installing a 240v 30w outlet to run the system. My electrical box is on the outside on the opposite wall so will have to run it through the house and into the garage but I'm justifying the expense as a resale value add for electric charging

I'm also installing a fully plumbed industrial sink with backsplash and ultimately a 4 tap kegerator with bar in the space

Also plan to install a track along the ceiling with a pulley system and deer hoist so I can move the equipment around myself

The brew system ships tomorrow after a 4 week lead time so I'm stoked move this project forward

https://media4.giphy.com/media/26tnj...giphy.gif&ct=g

As a total dumbshit who's tried some things, here's my advice with regards to electrical.

If you're going to rip shit up and and run electrical, put in way more. WAYYY more. More circuits, especially 240. Outlets everywhere.

It costs basically nothing to put a plate over an outlet if you need to cover it, but damn, if in 6 months you're like "I wish I'd have put an outlet there - ****"

As far as 240, if you have a couple circuits, you can do a lot of things and it will definitely help the resale. If a dude has MIG welder, there are only so many houses he can land. Same with if a guy does blue collar work and wants a washer/dryer for work clothes, industrial food storage, hell even a pressure washer that's worth a shit takes 240.

We're leaning on electrical more, not less, so if you're doing it, jam your box (heh) as full as you can get it.

KCUnited 10-22-2023 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 17180618)
https://media4.giphy.com/media/26tnj...giphy.gif&ct=g

As a total dumbshit who's tried some things, here's my advice with regards to electrical.

If you're going to rip shit up and and run electrical, put in way more. WAYYY more. More circuits, especially 240. Outlets everywhere.

It costs basically nothing to put a plate over an outlet if you need to cover it, but damn, if in 6 months you're like "I wish I'd have put an outlet there - ****"

As far as 240, if you have a couple circuits, you can do a lot of things and it will definitely help the resale. If a dude has MIG welder, there are only so many houses he can land. Same with if a guy does blue collar work and wants a washer/dryer for work clothes, industrial food storage, hell even a pressure washer that's worth a shit takes 240.

We're leaning on electrical more, not less, so if you're doing it, jam your box (heh) as full as you can get it.

The additional outlets is great advice. I'm going to take another look and see if there's some dead spaces that could use an outlet

We had a new build in Chicago and the #1 thing I appreciated about the builder was that he put outlets everywhere. Just super thoughtful with where he had the outlets placed

Its funny you brought up a mig welder as that's the same thing a buddy told me. Same with all the people out here with RVs. I also have a neighbor who hooks his food truck into a 240v in his garage during the week (technically against HOA rules but the truck is that good that no one complains)

I think most EVs, at least Tesla recommend a 240v 40w as ideal but can still utilize a 30w, it just takes longer. So that can keep me competitive with these new builds going up that are including them

Mr. Wizard 10-22-2023 10:53 AM

If I don’t finally clean out the garage and get the garage door openers working the wife’s gonna kill me

Holladay 10-22-2023 11:47 AM

Quote:

The additional outlets is great advice.
Good ideas. You might also look at utilizing 3 way switch's. They might not apply. Just keep them in mind. I wish I put more in when I was redoing the house.

Quote:

If I don’t finally clean out the garage and get the garage door openers working the wife’s gonna kill me
I am with you. I try and do a good clean out every few years. Case in point: I have a wall labeled to hang all my out door tools-shovels/rake/broom etc. Over the years, they all get dicked up.

Any body with generators now is a good time to pull maintenance. When the lights go out, not a good time to do the maintenance.

Also about them, when you need to start it up after a power outage, remember to turn the fuel petcock back to the "On" position:) Yes, there is a story about that and you can guess the frustration in 12" of snow.

Mephistopheles Janx 10-22-2023 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holladay (Post 17180780)
Good ideas. You might also look at utilizing 3 way switch's. They might not apply. Just keep them in mind. I wish I put more in when I was redoing the house.

I am with you. I try and do a good clean out every few years. Case in point: I have a wall labeled to hang all my out door tools-shovels/rake/broom etc. Over the years, they all get dicked up.

Any body with generators now is a good time to pull maintenance. When the lights go out, not a good time to do the maintenance.

Also about them, when you need to start it up after a power outage, remember to turn the fuel petcock back to the "On" position:) Yes, there is a story about that and you can guess the frustration in 12" of snow.

Completely unrelated to the thread but... the car in your avatar. Any particular reason you chose it?

Chris Meck 10-22-2023 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 17180591)

DEER HOIST.

Sure. Sure it is.

Perineum Ripper 10-22-2023 01:51 PM

So I’m going to redo the ceilings in the upstairs of our home. They are cracked, seams are showing, has the stupid ass popcorn shit on it. The attic above it barely has any insulation in it, and there are no lights except the ceiling fan in the living room

So I will be taking out old insulation, saving it, dropping fans, light fixtures, then dropping the ceilings. New drywall for the ceilings, new can lights everywhere, new wiring, new switches, a lot of insulation in the attic.

I’m probably going to try to redo floors as well, have original wood floors from the 60’s throughout the upstairs. Would like to sand, fix some spots, fix some squeaky spots, reseal.

TinyEvel 10-22-2023 04:16 PM

I’m probably gonna sell a few of my rarer Evel Knievel collectibles to fund a new pop top canvas and window seals for my old VW camper van.

Rainbarrel 10-23-2023 08:37 AM

Try to understand why CEH gets a live football