ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Money Investing/Retirement question (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352568)

Renegade 02-29-2024 01:29 PM

Investing/Retirement question

I have been sitting on an old 401K for a company I no longer work for. I left that money untouched for the past 8 years. It has almost doubled in value during that time.

I am really considering taking that money and transferring it to a Robinhood Gold IRA. They are doing a 3% match through the end of April if you sign up for the Gold (must keep Gold for 1 year $5 per month fee) I am well outside of the 5 year agreement for the IRA they require before penalty for early withdraw. I am figuring 7-9 years before Retirement.

I know very little about Robinhood. My current 401K is with Voya, and the fees are less than 1.5% annual. I would have to rollover to a traditional IRA as 98% of my 401K was before tax.

Is Robinhood any good for just setting up an IRA and not "investing" with it?

Jewish Rabbi 02-29-2024 01:40 PM

What do you mean by not “investing” an IRA? What kind of balance do you have in what you’re going to roll over? 7-9 years the value really should double again so picking a brokerage based on a sign up bonus probably isn’t the most financially sound decision IMO.

IowaHawkeyeChief 02-29-2024 01:45 PM

Find a good advisor who will do a comprehensive plan. The fees would be similar and you would have a much better outcome. This is one of the most important/life shaping decisions you can have yet you would choose not to use a professional with similar costs.

smithandrew051 02-29-2024 01:46 PM

I’d spend it on hookers and blow

RedinTexas 02-29-2024 01:56 PM

Gold is not an investment. Gold is a commodity like sugar, corn, or wheat. Think of gold as a store of value. When you purchase gold, you are preserving the purchasing power of your money. Gold increases in price during inflationary times because the price goes up with inflation.

DaFace 02-29-2024 02:00 PM

I'm not an expert in this stuff, but I think there are a number of concepts getting jumbled up here. So a few thoughts:

1. You can roll an orphaned 401k into an IRA at any time with no penalties - no waiting period needed. You'll want to keep the structure the same (so traditional 401k --> traditional IRA and Roth 401k --> Roth IRA). If you're paying a 1.5% fee on your 401k, you should definitely do this ASAP, as that's eating into your gains significantly even if it seems like a small number.

2. Unless you're just letting it sit there as cash, all IRAs are "investment" accounts. You probably had some sort of default investment in your 401k like a target date fund, so that's why you might not feel like you were "investing," but you were. Likewise, in your new IRA account, you'll want to invest that as well. If you don't want to deal with figuring out individual stocks (which is the right move for most people), you can just pick another mutual fund (I recommend target date index funds if you have them available) to invest it all in.

3. I don't know much about Robinhood, but is there a reason why you're focusing on that one specifically? Robinhood is fine, but my perception is that they focus more on people who want to be active traders. If you're just wanting a place you can move it and forget it, I'd consider one of the traditional brokerages like Vanguard, Schwab, or Fidelity. They have an incentive to get you to move your accounts to them, so they're usually good at helping you with basic advice (not investing advice, but advice on accounts and how to roll things over) if you give them a call.

tmax63 02-29-2024 02:25 PM

Talk to a real financial advisor, not someone here or somebody who slept at a Holiday Inn last night. I use Edward Jones and although some people don't like them my guy has done right by me. I'm not going for super high returns just steady, lower risk growth since I'm 62 and that's what they've done for me.

RunKC 02-29-2024 02:28 PM

Spend it on a nice fancy $100 lunch

DaFace 02-29-2024 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmax63 (Post 17422958)
Talk to a real financial advisor, not someone here or somebody who slept at a Holiday Inn last night. I use Edward Jones and although some people don't like them my guy has done right by me. I'm not going for super high returns just steady, lower risk growth since I'm 62 and that's what they've done for me.

EJ is reasonable at low investment levels because they take their fees out as a percentage of your investments (and I do strongly dislike that they kind of hide this fact). It's not so bad when you're just getting started since, for example, 1.5% of $10k in investments is only $150, which is pretty reasonable. If you stick with them for decades, though, and you've got your life savings with them, that 1.5% is suddenly $15k, which is nuts.

But you're absolutely right that, generally speaking, it's helpful for a lot of people to have "your guy" who you trust to help you work through a lot of the complicated questions like the OP is asking. That has value, even if I personally think there are other, less expensive options once you've got a general plan in place.

ArrowHeader 02-29-2024 02:40 PM

Robinhood is a ****ing joke dude. If your money has doubled why move it anyways? Keep your nest egg safe. If you want to start an IRA with a meme trader set aside new monies and take a crack at it but don’t blow your wad right out of the gate.

scho63 02-29-2024 02:42 PM

Robinhood has limited options for investing so you need to have an idea of what you want to invest in prior to any transfer.

Chazno 02-29-2024 03:03 PM

First Robinhood is a terrible company. Second the 3% match is only on contributions. I'm not sure they will count the initial rollover as a contribution and you don't mention making contributions, so I'm not sure this helps you.

DaKCMan AP 02-29-2024 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowHeader (Post 17422974)
If your money has doubled why move it anyways?

Because instead of 1.5% annual fee you can invest in an index fund for 0.1% fee.

Renegade 02-29-2024 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chazno (Post 17423001)
First Robinhood is a terrible company. Second the 3% match is only on contributions. I'm not sure they will count the initial rollover as a contribution and you don't mention making contributions, so I'm not sure this helps you.

It says 3% match on all rollover if you sign up for their gold level. 1% match if you use their basic level.

I am just curious if Robinhood is legit. It sounds sketchy at best

mr. tegu 02-29-2024 04:15 PM

Coin Base app obviously.

scho63 02-29-2024 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade (Post 17423076)
It says 3% match on all rollover if you sign up for their gold level. 1% match if you use their basic level.

Very legit but very limited.
Not a full service investment firm.

IowaHawkeyeChief 02-29-2024 04:38 PM

Quote:

That usually excludes qualified funds... Check the fine print.

Rain Man 02-29-2024 05:10 PM

I'm no expert on Robinhood, but I'll echo the comments that you can just move the money without worrying about timing. Rolling over an IRA from a past employer can be done at any time without penalty. Just be sure that you roll it over into the same type of account (i.e., Roth or Traditional).

Then invest it into some kind of equities, whether it's an ETF, target date fund, or individual stocks. If it's in a particular type of investment now, you can sometimes transfer the holdings without liquidating them into cash, and that's convenient. It kind of depends on who you're moving it from/to.

ReynardMuldrake 02-29-2024 05:25 PM

I would ask a professional. You could end up with a sizable tax liability depending on the type of IRA and how transfer is handled. Good luck.

Oxford 02-29-2024 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade (Post 17422834)
I have been sitting on an old 401K for a company I no longer work for. I left that money untouched for the past 8 years. It has almost doubled in value during that time.

I am really considering taking that money and transferring it to a Robinhood Gold IRA. They are doing a 3% match through the end of April if you sign up for the Gold (must keep Gold for 1 year $5 per month fee) I am well outside of the 5 year agreement for the IRA they require before penalty for early withdraw. I am figuring 7-9 years before Retirement.

I know very little about Robinhood. My current 401K is with Voya, and the fees are less than 1.5% annual. I would have to rollover to a traditional IRA as 98% of my 401K was before tax.

Is Robinhood any good for just setting up an IRA and not "investing" with it?

At the old company, what is the real yearly return on that investment? How is that obtained (Annuity/Company stock/Mutual funds)? If its in the old company stock, if its in the old company stock your are betting on their profitability for your investment returns.

What do they charge you to manage that money or is it free? You CAN roll this over to a Roth ira but you will pay taxes on it in the year you do so. A tax advisor can help you through that. Remember you are required to take withdrawals from your IRA at 72 so you dont have to do that at 65

So many options sp its good to start thinking about it now, but understand that a CFP has a responsibility to his client on advice and disclosures whereas a "broker" is under a different standard

Its your money and that is power

493rd 02-29-2024 06:40 PM

I’m a CFP professional…ping me I’ll answer your questions if you want.

Buehler445 02-29-2024 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 17423159)
I'm no expert on Robinhood, but I'll echo the comments that you can just move the money without worrying about timing. Rolling over an IRA from a past employer can be done at any time without penalty. Just be sure that you roll it over into the same type of account (i.e., Roth or Traditional).

Then invest it into some kind of equities, whether it's an ETF, target date fund, or individual stocks. If it's in a particular type of investment now, you can sometimes transfer the holdings without liquidating them into cash, and that's convenient. It kind of depends on who you're moving it from/to.

I think the “leave in period” is they’ll clawback the 3% match.

I don’t know how it works but apparently Robinhood gets some sort benefit for throughput or assets under management or something. That’s how they can “afford” the match.

TrebMaxx 02-29-2024 07:30 PM

No advice but I just checked my retirement countdown clock and saw 7 months and 18 days. Brought a slight smirk to my face.

Buehler445 02-29-2024 07:31 PM

Quote:

Robinhood caught some shit during the GameStop thing because they wouldn’t let the mentors guys sell when it rolled over.

As far as I know they’re 0 fee and if you’re buying and holding ETFs you won’t run into any of the trading stuff. And even if you do if you’re not doing any highly volatile meme stocks I wouldn’t worry about it.

It’s 100% self directed though. You’re not getting any advice.

kccrow 02-29-2024 07:45 PM

I think its best use could be for casual traders and for investing cash. It's got a 5% APY on cash investments. Even better savings accounts only get 4.0-4.3%. If you're just holding some funds to do some stock trading on your own, I think it's a nice little thing. Not sure that much of the rest of it is overly advantageous.

Ming the Merciless 02-29-2024 07:50 PM

Charles Schwab just bought TdAmeritrade and the software called ThinkOrSwim

I personally love it and would recommend checking it out...been using ToS for years. A+

(if you use think or swim, it's self directed)

so you can open a schwab account and get think or swim free now)

BigRedChief 02-29-2024 08:45 PM

I turned 65 and the social security office sent me a list of 3 profit sharing plans that I have money in that I’ve not done anything with in over a decade.
I had no idea. Totally forgot about them. Not chump change. $25K/$9K/$700

Only found the contact so far for the $700 one.

DCTwister 02-29-2024 08:57 PM

As others have stated,
1) You can roll 100% of a 401K to an IRA with zero penalty. I’ve done it multiple times.
2) Get competent advice from a legit investment advisor that works with investors of assets your size. This Robinhood deal sounds like bullshit to me. Most of my money is in Fidelity but managed by Goldman Sachs. Personally my wife and I both work in finance and are smart but we use a good financial advisor that has set a good plan for us. You should do the same.

Hog's Gone Fishin 03-01-2024 10:32 AM

NVDA back on track Rainman , up $30 but I expect a huge drop now that I post this

Currently 819.50

scho63 03-01-2024 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ming the Merciless (Post 17423298)

I personally love it and would recommend checking it out...been using ToS for years. A+

I used to have Scottrade and LOVED IT until TD Ameritrade bought it..Now they are getting gobbled up.

Had a bad experience with Schwab but many people love them.

Ming the Merciless 03-01-2024 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 17424127)
Had a bad experience with Schwab but many people love them.

Ive had both schwab and TD for a long time...

I REALLY loved think or swim (the TD ameritrade app). My main complaint with schwab was I loved Think Or swim but schwab didnt have anything even remotely close to how cool that app was...

so schwab was smart and bought TD , mainly to get that app... So now you can use that app with your schwab account as long as you are self directed.

If youre not self directed, maybe your problem was with your broker... and switching brokers might be a good idea. Some brokers are better than others or just see more eye-to-eye with what you want.

If youre bored and have the time and motivation, you should check out think or swim though, you might dig it!

scho63 03-01-2024 07:39 PM

The Scottrade java applet that showed real time trading was the bomb. Showed true bid and ask. Tick by tick.

I saw Think or Swim and pretty good but could never get used to it.

I went to Wells Fargo short term and then opened Robinhood.

lewdog 03-01-2024 08:16 PM

I'm a believer in always rolling over your 401k to an IRA any time you leave an employer. It gives you more control and less expense than just leaving it sit in the 401k.

lewdog 03-03-2024 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ming the Merciless (Post 17423298)

I have Charles Schwab now after I started on TD Ameritrade.

Is the think or swim free, I don't seem to see it?

Buehler445 03-03-2024 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 17426099)

https://www.schwab.com/trading/think...BoCmbUQAvD_BwE

scho63 03-03-2024 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 17426099)

I think they acquired just the customer base and assets but will make you migrate to their platform.

I believe Think or Swim has sunk, just like when TD took over Scottrade. :deevee:

lewdog 03-03-2024 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 17426124)

That doesn’t appear to be free I don’t think?

Ming the Merciless 03-03-2024 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 17426338)

it should be , I believe...

https://www.schwab.com/trading/thinkorswim/desktop

if you've got a self directed account , you should be able to install the desktop TOS client and log into it...

I was able to use the same user name & pw as the website

Buehler445 03-03-2024 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 17426338)

I don't have an account, but I think you should be able to follow the link, select the platform you want, log into scwab and download the software.

CatinKS 03-03-2024 12:21 PM

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/

If you have any questions about retirement investing this forum is a great site.

lewdog 03-03-2024 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ming the Merciless (Post 17426350)
it should be , I believe...

https://www.schwab.com/trading/thinkorswim/desktop

if you've got a self directed account , you should be able to install the desktop TOS client and log into it...

I was able to use the same user name & pw as the website

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 17426354)
I don't have an account, but I think you should be able to follow the link, select the platform you want, log into scwab and download the software.

It's free. I am gonna paper trade some things in there to test out some strategies.

Thank you both.

Buehler445 03-04-2024 10:58 AM

This must be a thing. WeBull is doing the same thing, but they'll bump it to 4.5% if you refer someone.

https://www.webull.com/ko-yield/1708508176523-bb98c7

BigOlChiefsfan 03-04-2024 10:30 PM

I worked at the KC Board of Trade for 15 years or so, as an employee of the exchange, then as a trader. They sold out and let the Chicago BOT and the Merc have the bulk of that money - the current mayor of Chicago is chasing those fellows and all their tax revenue off to Florida. Anyway - don't overlook commodity trades - you've got to do some research but rule of thumb..if the dollar won't go as far, gold or wheat or silver-will. Head-sniffin' Joe Biden doesn't really get to mess with the price of commodities. Which is fine by me.

ETA: Time is an issue w/commodity markets - they 'run out of time' and you get the cash - or you sell your July contracts and buy December instead. It's not a 'fire and forget' market. It's exciting as hell when you're there -and right. It's pretty much designed to bilk the ignorant. But if you're interested, it's a good way to park money and make some if you park it correctly.

DenverChief 03-05-2024 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrebMaxx (Post 17423284)
No advice but I just checked my retirement countdown clock and saw 7 months and 18 days. Brought a slight smirk to my face.

61 years young eh?

Buehler445 03-05-2024 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigOlChiefsfan (Post 17428249)
I worked at the KC Board of Trade for 15 years or so, as an employee of the exchange, then as a trader. They sold out and let the Chicago BOT and the Merc have the bulk of that money - the current mayor of Chicago is chasing those fellows and all their tax revenue off to Florida. Anyway - don't overlook commodity trades - you've got to do some research but rule of thumb..if the dollar won't go as far, gold or wheat or silver-will. Head-sniffin' Joe Biden doesn't really get to mess with the price of commodities. Which is fine by me.

ETA: Time is an issue w/commodity markets - they 'run out of time' and you get the cash - or you sell your July contracts and buy December instead. It's not a 'fire and forget' market. It's exciting as hell when you're there -and right. It's pretty much designed to bilk the ignorant. But if you're interested, it's a good way to park money and make some if you park it correctly.

As a guy that hedges grain, I want no part of speculating any of that.

myselff77 03-05-2024 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 17426442)
It's free. I am gonna paper trade some things in there to test out some strategies.

Thank you both.

Yeah, it's free. I've primarily been using Schwab's Streetsmart Edge app, but have tried out Think or Swim. ToS seems much more advanced, but I haven't been a big fan of the layout. Schwab if fully shutting down Streetsmart Edge in the next month or two. So, I will have to fully convert to ToS.

If you look online, there are a few scripts that come close to detecting stocks with Minervini's VCP pattern. Not perfect, but a decent start.

Pinchshot 03-05-2024 02:16 PM

Robinhood suspended trading on their site on orders from Wallstreet. I wouldn't trust them. It's really more of a trading platform anyway.

When I left a company years ago I rolled my 401K into a self-directed IRA where I now have rental properties, stocks, gold and Bitcoin. Equity Trust is the company I chose.

You most likely will not need to buy all those diverse assets. But if you ever decide to get into those, you could. Otherwise you're stuck with stocks/mutual funds only.

Ming the Merciless 03-05-2024 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myselff77 (Post 17428952)
I've primarily been using Schwab's Streetsmart Edge app, but have tried out Think or Swim. ToS seems much more advanced, but I haven't been a big fan of the layout.

One really great thing about ToS is you can change many aspects of the layout. You can change menus, you can customize windows, you can add things to almost any column...

I had to spend quite a bit of time getting used to the layout and then when I started changing the things that bothered me most, I really ended up loving it.

Color Schemes:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cYCfinkrjCQ?si=n1ATBDE2pCk9nqHQ" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Charting
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hlxtb1FsQrw?si=f-IbCYkMY9D2CKUW" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Random Questions

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ra-Ft0ri8uM?si=v6N5g5fElULLEXEy" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

myselff77 03-05-2024 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ming the Merciless (Post 17429058)
One really great thing about ToS is you can change many aspects of the layout. You can change menus, you can customize windows, you can add things to almost any column...

Thanks. I'll take a look at those videos. I have no doubt ToS is better as there are some limitations in Steetsmart Edge I've had to work around that I know ToS does not have. I'll come around to it when I have to. I've just turned into the grumpy old man who doesn't want change. i have my exact layout in Streetsmart Edge that I like and have used for a few years. Now I'll just need to take the time to eventually do the same in ToS.

Ming the Merciless 03-05-2024 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myselff77 (Post 17429086)
I've just turned into the grumpy old man who doesn't want change. i have my exact layout in Streetsmart Edge that I like and have used for a few years. Now I'll just need to take the time to eventually do the same in ToS.

Oh man I feel you!!

I _really_ loved the TdAmeritrade phone app.

So , my #1 is the ToS desktop app, but I dont really care for the ToS phone (android) app, but what I loved as my #2 was the TD Ameritrade phone app. So being able to use ToS on my desktop at the office and TDAmeritrade phone app in my bed or on the shitter was so great...

and so far, I dont think Schwab is doing to update that TD app on the phone (even though they BOUGHT the rights to it) , but I am hoping theres other grumpy old guys out there who can convince Schwab to being back the TD Ameritrade android app in the play store... LOL

Taco John 03-05-2024 07:28 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Janet Yellen gives an important update regarding crypto <a href="https://t.co/YZC0FNoKKI">pic.twitter.com/YZC0FNoKKI</a></p>&mdash; Tommy WorldPower (@TommyWorldPower) <a href="https://twitter.com/TommyWorldPower/status/1764830154780717335?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 5, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hog's Gone Fishin 03-05-2024 07:40 PM

ROFL

BigRedChief 03-05-2024 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 17424795)
I'm a believer in always rolling over your 401k to an IRA any time you leave an employer. It gives you more control and less expense than just leaving it sit in the 401k.

I forgot about profit sharing 401K’s that I had over the years. Turned 65 and the SSA sent me a snail mail telling me I have 3 accounts with these companies. Here’s their snail mail address.

$28K of free money so I send a letter asking for my money. 2 come back return to sender. 3rd says contact Voya, that’s where our other stuff is located.

Never got a notice about the account's. Is this normal?

TrebMaxx 03-05-2024 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverChief (Post 17428780)
61 years young eh?

Yep! :thumb:

kccrow 03-05-2024 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 17429308)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Janet Yellen gives an important update regarding crypto <a href="https://t.co/YZC0FNoKKI">pic.twitter.com/YZC0FNoKKI</a></p>&mdash; Tommy WorldPower (@TommyWorldPower) <a href="https://twitter.com/TommyWorldPower/status/1764830154780717335?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 5, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

hahaha that's ****ing awesome

BigOlChiefsfan 03-05-2024 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 17428927)
As a guy that hedges grain, I want no part of speculating any of that.

All Y'all paid my salary for quite a while. You're in a different boat than I was in.