ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Was Demarcus Robinson better than I remember? Or was it all PM? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=353331)

Smed1065 05-03-2024 08:03 PM

Was Demarcus Robinson better than I remember? Or was it all PM?

Watching that highlight film of PM and he seems in there a lot?

notorious 05-03-2024 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smed1065 (Post 17509096)
Watching that highlight film of PM and he seems in there a lot?

He could play, but man he made some dumb mistakes.

Compared to this last year's wide receiver group he's pretty good.

dlphg9 05-03-2024 08:12 PM

He was absolute ****ing trash. He's worse than you remember. Dude playing like 75% of the snaps until he got dialed back his last year here and couldn't muster over 264 yards, 13 1st downs, and 3 TDs. Andy really tried to give him an opportunity to break out, but he regressed to absolute trash. He was a decent 3/4 option his 4th and 5th year here, but didn't do much before that and was shit after that.

He had a bunch of talent, but went to shit.

-King- 05-03-2024 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 17509106)
He was absolute ****ing trash. He's worse than you remember. Dude playing like 75% of the snaps until he got dialed back his last year here and couldn't muster over 264 yards, 13 1st downs, and 3 TDs. Andy really tried to give him an opportunity to break out, but he regressed to absolute trash. He was a decent 3/4 option his 4th and 5th year here, but didn't do much before that and was shit after that.

He had a bunch of talent, but went to shit.

Uh... Where are you getting these numbers from?

Jewish Rabbi 05-03-2024 08:20 PM

He was better than Skyy and Toney. Take that for what it’s worth.

-King- 05-03-2024 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 17509103)
He could play, but man he made some dumb mistakes.

Compared to this last year's wide receiver group he's pretty good.

This. He was a decent #3 while he was here. Just infuriating with the dumb mistakes he made after catching the ball.

notorious 05-03-2024 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 17509114)

That was 2021 stats, he was on his way out.

-King- 05-03-2024 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 17509118)
That was 2021 stats, he was on his way out.

Oh wording was confusing because he had a few 450 yard seasons here while playing 40-70% of snaps.

For a guy who was mostly a 4th option in this offense, I'll take it.

JohnnyHammersticks 05-03-2024 08:32 PM

He actually had a decent season for the Rams this last year. Had a 2 or 3 game run when Kupp was hurt where he put up some solid numbers and looked good. Definitely an upgrade over Van Jefferson.

Bowser 05-03-2024 08:33 PM

I remember when we drafted him and thought "Hey cool, a college receiver from a high powered offense! Maybe he can come in and bring a spark!"

Ah, I was so young and innocent back then. Not to mention smack dab in the middle of thinking Alex Smith could win us a championship.

Rain Man 05-03-2024 08:40 PM

He was a good athlete and he was alert in scramble drills, which brought him value. Obviously he was missing some factor that could elevate him into the starting lineup, or the guys in front of him had too much talent. But he's had a longer NFL career than most.

He caught Patrick's first game pass ever if I remember right, and he caught Patrick's 50 TD/5,000 yard pass, so I have fond memories of him. And he'll give us "running backwards" jokes for the rest of our lives, so we'll always remember him.

notorious 05-03-2024 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 17509121)
Oh wording was confusing because he had a few 450 yard seasons here while playing 40-70% of snaps.

For a guy who was mostly a 4th option in this offense, I'll take it.

Yep, my expectations were pretty low with him. I would take him over Toney and Skyy in a heartbeat. MVS balls out in the playoffs so he barely gets off the hook.

GeorgeZimZam 05-03-2024 08:44 PM

When he threw snowballs before the Broncos game at Arrowhead, Demarcus definitely was more Jackson than Patrick as far as form goes.

As far as football goes, the most impressive thing about Demarcus was how many iconic Mahomes plays he was a part of, despite being a mid WR. Remarkable highlight reel (courtesy of Mahomes mostly), unremarkable wideout. But that is enough to remember fondly.

Spoiler!

Hammock Parties 05-03-2024 09:05 PM

D-Rob gets all the escalades just for these.

Outside of the postseason, they are still in my top 10 Mahomes throws.

http://i.imgur.com/pvZHfzn.gif

https://i.imgur.com/yAMm8tf.gif

suzzer99 05-03-2024 09:08 PM

The Chiefs would have gone undefeated last year with Rice and 3 D-Robs. But that's mostly about how pathetic our WR corps was.

smithandrew051 05-03-2024 09:11 PM

You could make a highlight reel of D Rob plays and convince someone that he’s an All Pro receiver.

You could also make a lowlight reel of D Rob plays and convince someone that he’s one of the worst players ever.

Pablo 05-03-2024 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 17509157)
You could make a highlight reel of D Rob plays and convince someone that he’s an All Pro receiver.

You could also make a lowlight reel of D Rob plays and convince someone that he’s one of the worst players ever.

I'm glad he was here.

I'm also glad he's no longer here.

AussieChiefsFan 05-03-2024 09:24 PM

Pretty good as a 3/4 WR I reckon but after winning the Super Bowl without him I can't really say we should've resigned him.

Megatron96 05-03-2024 09:55 PM

DRob only started in 4 games last season, played in 6-7, I think. Including the playoffs, he caught 29 (targeted 45 times) passes for 415 yards, 23 1st downs, and 4 TDs. And never rose above the 4th receiver.

Basically he was better than every WR for the Chiefs except Rice. He was a better route runner, better at creating separation, better ball tracker, better catcher, better in scramble drills. And he did almost all of that on his own; no manufactured touches like Toney and Skyy. Which is amazing considering that he really was just a very JAG NFL WR for his entire career.

Love watching some of those catches of his in those highlights reels though. He made some really nice ones when he was here.

smithandrew051 05-03-2024 10:04 PM

I thought he was about to take a massive step towards becoming a legit Number 2 receiver after the 28 point 2nd quarter and that game against the Ravens the next week in 2019.

He was great in those two games.

BWillie 05-03-2024 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 17509115)
He was better than Skyy and Toney. Take that for what it’s worth.

D Rob sucked. Like bad. And he was waaaay better than Skyy and Toney.

Let that sink in.

Bl00dyBizkitz 05-03-2024 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17509152)

He always seemed to be open during the scramble drill, which had a ton of value. I had that "why did we cut him?" question pop in my head a few times this last year, turns out he really wasn't that great.

Chief Pagan 05-03-2024 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17509207)
D Rob sucked. Like bad. And he was waaaay better than Skyy and Toney.

Let that sink in.

Well yea, he seemed to be able to get open on scramble drills and had Mahomes' trust and didn't have a particular problem catching the ball.

Seemed like he occasionally had a problem with running forward after catching the ball, but I guess nobody's perfect.

scho63 05-03-2024 10:34 PM

His game against the Raiders was the most memorable for me.

Can't think of much else he did when he wasn't running backwards after catch.

irafreak 05-03-2024 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 17509139)
He was a good athlete and he was alert in scramble drills, which brought him value. Obviously he was missing some factor that could elevate him into the starting lineup, or the guys in front of him had too much talent. But he's had a longer NFL career than most.

He caught Patrick's first game pass ever if I remember right, and he caught Patrick's 50 TD/5,000 yard pass, so I have fond memories of him. And he'll give us "running backwards" jokes for the rest of our lives, so we'll always remember him.

And even on that 50th td catch he finished by running backwards into the endzone.

Chargem 05-04-2024 01:46 AM

I think he was Justin Watson ish?

Better than Skyy right now, but he had zero touches his first year in the league, just played special teams.. so Skyy could still become him?

Rainbarrel 05-04-2024 05:21 AM

The diva metric is going to have to join WR stats. Somehow being a diva is like big tits to NFL fans. DR seemed grounded

Hoover 05-04-2024 05:51 AM

All this does is get me more excited for Worthy

Wisconsin_Chief 05-04-2024 06:02 AM

He was never as bad as people said, which last year proved. Hell, I would have killed to have any version of him last season. He showed he could play with the Rams as well. He’s a very solid player and always has been. He was never going to be more than a 4th option at best, but last I checked you need those guys in this league, too.

Straight, No Chaser 05-04-2024 06:16 AM

It was maddening watch him make a catch and then run BACKWARDS. Wouldn’t be surprised if his YAC was a negative number.

RaidersOftheCellar 05-04-2024 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17509152)

That second one’s in your top 10? Seems like a pretty routine throw for Mahomes.

notorious 05-04-2024 11:15 AM

First start to his career, and it iced the game against a team we despise.

Dunerdr 05-04-2024 11:48 AM

The problem with drob was he just didn’t grow much as a player. He made the same dumbass mistakes day 1 as his last game with us. He was great on broken plays when Tyreek and Kelce carried the best part of the defense with them.

Rain Man 05-04-2024 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaidersOftheCellar (Post 17509333)
That second one’s in your top 10? Seems like a pretty routine throw for Mahomes.

Being a routine throw for Mahomes doesn't mean that it's not a spectacular throw.

Megatron96 05-04-2024 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chargem (Post 17509270)
I think he was Justin Watson ish?

Better than Skyy right now, but he had zero touches his first year in the league, just played special teams.. so Skyy could still become him?

DRob was better than JWat. And it's not that close. Catch%, Success%, YAC/R, TDs per season, just for starters.
https://www.pro-football-reference.c...R/RobiDe01.htm

JWat
https://www.pro-football-reference.c...W/WatsJu01.htm

And then DRob's ability to consistently find a soft spot during a scramble drill, especially in the EZ.

Mostly though it's just that DRob was always a better WR than JWat, a ST player Andy converted into a WR. DRob had great twitch and athleticism, while JWat is just average in those departments.

Imon Yourside 05-04-2024 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 17509604)
Being a routine throw for Mahomes doesn't mean that it's not a spectacular throw.

I just rewatched that game last night and no it doesn't crack the top 10, I mean it was great and all but ya not top 25 or 40 for me. It would be top 10 for any other QB just not Mahomes.

DRM08 05-04-2024 02:59 PM

D-Rob was better than a number of guys we've been watching the last couple years. If nothing else, he had very good chemistry with Mahomes. We know that's not the case at all for some of the other KC receivers lately.

Rasputin 05-04-2024 03:00 PM

Is this the same D Rob that would catch a first down only to step backwards two yards get tackled short of the first down? Or am I thinking someone else?

Rain Man 05-04-2024 03:10 PM

Another thing that occurs to me is that Mahomes' great plays probably occur disproportionately on third downs. That's when Robinson would get a disproportionate number of snaps, so he's probably overrepresented in the highlights beyond his actual playing time.

Megatron96 05-04-2024 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 17509639)
Another thing that occurs to me is that Mahomes' great plays probably occur disproportionately on third downs. That's when Robinson would get a disproportionate number of snaps, so he's probably overrepresented in the highlights beyond his actual playing time.

He also only started in 51 of his 130 total games. Basically three seasons.

dlphg9 05-05-2024 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 17509114)

In 2021 he was given every opportunity to be our #2 guy. His first 7 games he averaged 71% of the snaps on offense. He was such a shit stain that while getting a majority of the snaps he averaged 3 targets per game, 1.5 receptions per game, and 19 yards per game. The last 10 weeks of the season he averaged 49% of the offensive snaps.

He was garbage.

Megatron96 05-05-2024 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 17509988)
In 2021 he was given every opportunity to be our #2 guy. His first 7 games he averaged 71% of the snaps on offense. He was such a shit stain that while getting a majority of the snaps he averaged 3 targets per game, 1.5 receptions per game, and 19 yards per game. The last 10 weeks of the season he averaged 49% of the offensive snaps.

He was garbage.

Jeez. Talk about skewing the narrative. Like there was ever a realistic chance DRob was going to be WR2 in KC. Dude was drafted in the 4th round, and didn't get the advantage of running with the 1s for his first two seasons like Skyy and KT. ANd he's still been a more consistent and reliable target.

Guess we just don't count the two previous seasons (2019-20) when he went over 400 yards and 7 TDs (4/3)? Or the one right after (2022) with BAL and Lame Jackson with another 400+ yards?

Oh, and btw, his catch% was 61% in 2021. Still 7 points better than Skyy last season. DRob has a career 64.2% catch %. Which makes him better at his job than JWat, MVS, Skyy and Ross.

And he actually scores TDs. As in more than MVS, Skyy and KT combined in 2023.

Coogs 05-05-2024 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 17509139)

Demetrius Harris caught the first completion of Mahomes's career. A 51 yarder on 3rd and 10. The first two plays were throws to Robinson, both of which were incomplete.

dlphg9 05-05-2024 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 17510500)
Jeez. Talk about skewing the narrative. Like there was ever a realistic chance DRob was going to be WR2 in KC. Dude was drafted in the 4th round, and didn't get the advantage of running with the 1s for his first two seasons like Skyy and KT. ANd he's still been a more consistent and reliable target.

Guess we just don't count the two previous seasons (2019-20) when he went over 400 yards and 7 TDs (4/3)? Or the one right after (2022) with BAL and Lame Jackson with another 400+ yards?

Oh, and btw, his catch% was 61% in 2021. Still 7 points better than Skyy last season. DRob has a career 64.2% catch %. Which makes him better at his job than JWat, MVS, Skyy and Ross.

And he actually scores TDs. As in more than MVS, Skyy and KT combined in 2023.

Yay he's better trash, big trash, biggest trash, and guy that couldn't get onto a terrible WR rotation.

I said he was a decent 3rd/4th option for those 2 years with us. Im skewing nothing. He was given the opportunity after those 2 decent years to step up and be our #2 WR.

Week one he had the 2nd most snaps by WR and played 48 out of 65 snaps.
Week 2 - 3rd most (30/51)
Week 3 - 2nd most (57/79)
Week 4 - 2nd most (45/67)
Week 5 - 2nd most (65/86)
Week 6 - 2nd most (57/82)
Week 7 - Most, more than Tyreek (57/72)

That's a lot of snaps to put up a measly 20 targets, 11 receptions, 126 yards, 2 TDs. It's even more pathetic when you see that in 2 of those 7 games he got 92 or 73% of his yards, 10 of his 16 targets, 6 of his 10 receptions, and all of his TDs. So in 5 games playing in over 70% of the total offensive snaps, on one of the most dynamic pass happy teams in league and he barfed out 4 receptions and 32 yards. Over the final 10 games he had a shitty 21 targets, 14 receptions, 131 yds, and 1 TD.

If that's not shitting away a golden opportunity and sucking shit, then idk what is.

I will say in the Pittsburgh playoff game that year he played really well with 76 yards and he only played 51% of the snaps those game. Andy rewarded him with another chance giving him 64% and 70% of the snaps the next two games. What'd he do with this opportunity?

4 targets, 0 rec, 0 YDs, 0 TDs

I'm surprised you like such a shitty WR.

Megatron96 05-05-2024 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 17510572)
Yay he's better trash, big trash, biggest trash, and guy that couldn't get onto a terrible WR rotation.

I said he was a decent 3rd/4th option for those 2 years with us. Im skewing nothing. He was given the opportunity after those 2 decent years to step up and be our #2 WR.

Week one he had the 2nd most snaps by WR and played 48 out of 65 snaps.
Week 2 - 3rd most (30/51)
Week 3 - 2nd most (57/79)
Week 4 - 2nd most (45/67)
Week 5 - 2nd most (65/86)
Week 6 - 2nd most (57/82)
Week 7 - Most, more than Tyreek (57/72)

That's a lot of snaps to put up a measly 20 targets, 11 receptions, 126 yards, 2 TDs. It's even more pathetic when you see that in 2 of those 7 games he got 92 or 73% of his yards, 10 of his 16 targets, 6 of his 10 receptions, and all of his TDs. So in 5 games playing in over 70% of the total offensive snaps, on one of the most dynamic pass happy teams in league and he barfed out 4 receptions and 32 yards. Over the final 10 games he had a shitty 21 targets, 14 receptions, 131 yds, and 1 TD.

If that's not shitting away a golden opportunity and sucking shit, then idk what is.

I will say in the Pittsburgh playoff game that year he played really well with 76 yards and he only played 51% of the snaps those game. Andy rewarded him with another chance giving him 64% and 70% of the snaps the next two games. What'd he do with this opportunity?

4 targets, 0 rec, 0 YDs, 0 TDs

I'm surprised you like such a shitty WR.

Not like he was a favorite. just pointing out that in spite of having a bad season in KC, that season was still better than Skyy's last season. And DRob was a 4th round draft pick, Skyy was a 2nd. For that matter, KT was a 1st rounder. JWat was given an opportunity to be a starting WR last season, and promptly shit the bed.

Just based on their stats, DRob was a far better WR than pretty much every WR we had last season, except Rice. Hell, just DRob's season last year was far better than anything our WR room put up, and he only started 4 games.

You want to keep saying he was trash, fine. He was 400 yds/season 4 TD scoring trash. Compared to what we fielded last year, we should've kept him and dumped KT/Skyy/Ross/MVS.

jettio 05-06-2024 08:24 AM

Robinson was 14th WR drafted in 2016 and has outperformed everyone else except for Tyreek Hill, Tyler Boyd, Sterling Shepherd and Michael Thomas.

Has played in postseason 8 straight years and Rams gave him a raise from $1.2 million last year to $4 million this year if he is on roster all year.

Robinson is one of those players that helps one identify the fans who do not know shit about tackle football as it is played in the National Football League from the ones who do.

Robinson is a football player who was a gunner on punts and a gunner blocker on punt returns when Tyreek Hill was returning them for TDs.

Eight years in league and earned a decent raise from same team for his ninth season.

He had one disaster punt return at Saints and a couple negative YAC receptions, but he also had a couple unbelievable YAC plays in 2-minute drill where he made it to sidelines to stop clock and save a timeout. Fans that like watching football but do not know shit about it tend to remember the bad plays and never notice the contributions the player makes.

chiefzilla1501 05-06-2024 08:51 AM

DR was a street baller. Ok in structure but actually really good outside structure. For all the drops and weird backwards runs, he was always open in scramble drill. It'd be fun to see him back but if we were to add anyone it probably needs to be someone consistent and reliable

Pinchshot 05-06-2024 10:02 AM

He was the original Toney. Talented but you were scared to death Pat would throw his way.

PatMahomesIsGod 05-06-2024 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinchshot (Post 17510891)
He was the original Toney. Talented but you were scared to death Pat would throw his way.

DR wasn't a fumble/INT machine like KT.

He just ran backwards inexplicably.