ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Johnny Manziel taking only online classes at Texas A&M (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270207)

Deberg_1990 02-20-2013 07:27 AM

Johnny Manziel taking only online classes at Texas A&M

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon...asses/1929057/

Johnny Manziel has become the big man off campus.

The Texas A&M quarterback and Heisman winner said Monday night at the Davey O'Brien Award reception that all of his classes for this semester are online, though Texas A&M spokesman Brad Marquardt refused to confirm or deny Manziel's schedule in a phone call with USA TODAY Sports.

SPRING FOOTBALL: Dates for every FBS team

Manziel also told reporters at the reception that he's only on campus once every month.

Though the arrangement might seem odd, Manziel is well within his rights to tackle his course load online. He even tried to take an English course on campus this semester but had to drop it when his peers' requests for photos and autographs became too much.

"I didn't think anything of it, and it kind of turned into a little more of a big deal than I thought," Manziel said, according to the Associated Press.

Manziel's various outings since winning the Heisman – sitting courtside at NBA games, attending the Super Bowl and being photographed at Mardi Gras – have been well documented, and being under a microscope has taken a toll on him.

"I know plenty of friends who went down to Mardi Gras to New Orleans and other guys who went to the Super Bowl too," Manziel said. "I was down there with other college football guys too, so I don't know, people like to give me a hard time more than others. There's college kids doing what I'm doing all around the country. People just think I'm going wild with it, when it's not like that."

DaKCMan AP 02-20-2013 07:32 AM

Meh.

This is commonplace around the country. TAMU students need to get a grip, though. I saw Tebow, Horford, Noah, and other nationally-known Gator athletes all the time when I was in school. People would ask for pictures here and there but the guys weren't hounded.

Deberg_1990 02-20-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9418189)
Meh.

I agree, but some are making a big deal about it.

BigRedChief 02-20-2013 07:40 AM

Who gives a shit? If he doesn't make it in the NFL. his family is rich. He will be okay.:D

SAUTO 02-20-2013 07:41 AM

he is a ****ing douchebag

Bearcat 02-20-2013 08:08 AM

I actually saw this on the bottom line of espn while watching basketball last night... they should merge with TMZ and get it over with... :facepalm:

Rasputin 02-20-2013 08:18 AM

And why should I curr about this news?

AndChiefs 02-20-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9418273)
And why should I curr about this news?

Because we're going to draft him in a couple years after we're back at the top of the draft once we don't take a qb this year.

NewChief 02-20-2013 08:28 AM

Makes sense for most athletes to do this, especially during the season, because their attendance is often shit.

My main concern is the ability to just have someone else take the class for you, if you're doing a purely online course. I realize that this is already possible in having someone else do all your out-of-class work, but an online course makes it even easier.

DaKCMan AP 02-20-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9418295)
Makes sense for most athletes to do this, especially during the season, because their attendance is often shit.

My main concern is the ability to just have someone else take the class for you, if you're doing a purely online course. I realize that this is already possible in having someone else do all your out-of-class work, but an online course makes it even easier.

It still has some on-campus components:

Quote:

Manziel says he has to go on campus for course-related work about once a month.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...courses-campus

WV 02-20-2013 08:39 AM

He's only there now to play football..."going to classes" online just makes it easier to push him through. Nothing more than a victory tour of sorts for him now. Nothing we all haven't witnessed in other college athletes.

Hog's Gone Fishin 02-20-2013 08:41 AM

Usually online classes require you to go to campus to take the tests. And I want him a Chief in the worst way.

Braincase 02-20-2013 08:41 AM

Slow news day?

loochy 02-20-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9418189)
Meh.

This is commonplace around the country. TAMU students need to get a grip, though. I saw Tebow, Horford, Noah, and other nationally-known Gator athletes all the time when I was in school. People would ask for pictures here and there but the guys weren't hounded.

East Coast Dane

Dayze 02-20-2013 08:47 AM

we can get a ton of weapons the next two years and pick him up in the 1st in 2015.