ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Archives (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Chiefs Memorabilia (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=11552)

Stingie D 12-14-2000 09:44 PM

Being a Chiefs fan for the past 37 years and a collector of Chiefs memorabilia. I was wondering whats the oldest or most unusal piece of memorabilia some of you have?

For me, I have a beer stein from 1963, that lists the score and attendence of all the games on it.

I also have a plate of Len Dawson when he made the Hall of Fame, thats Plate #3 of 35,
all being proof plates because they were never issued.

BigChiefsFan 12-15-2000 07:36 AM

I have four things:
1. A mug with a copy of the K.C. Star front page on it, declaring the Chiefs world champs. The finish is a little crackled, but still in very good condition.
2. A wooden wall plaque with a number of different headlines in a collage (sp?), all of which declare Chiefs as world champs.
3. A suade and leather football from the 1964 season with all of the players names stamped onto it.
4. My piece de resistance: A ball hand-autographed by the entire superbowl winning team. It is in flawless condition, and the names of such greats as Otis Taylor, Jan Steneurd (sp?), Len Dawson, et al are clearly visible in a variety of colored inks. It is in a glass case with a section of the old Arrowhead turf.

I also have a John Alt-autographed card. Wife lived next to him in Blue Springs. Not worth much, but still pretty cool. Also, a personalized signed pic from John Browning (my wife fixed his watch when she was at Helzberg's Oak Park store. Very, very nice guy. Big, too. Real big.)

I have Tony G.'s rookie card and am trying to find a way to get him to sign it. There are a lot of autograph hounds who just want it for the $$, but I'm a true fan. If I can just convince him of that . . .

MM
~~Happy his grandfather was a packrat.

[This message has been edited by Mark M (edited 12-15-2000).]

Dave Lane 12-15-2000 07:45 AM

I don't have anything that old since I was born in the 70's. I have boxes of those old Chiefs cards that the policeman used to give away in the early 80's w/guys like Gary Barbaro, Steve Fuller, Ted McNight & JT Smith on them. I've still got the sports page from the 90 playoff loss against Miami(i should burn it) & the sports pages from the Chiefs playoff wins. I've also got a spring training program signed by Okoye during training camp his rookie season in 88, back when they use to hold it in KC.

------------------
It looks I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

Stingie D 12-15-2000 07:49 AM

Mark,

I know what you are talking about on the KC Star stein. There are four different things that make up that collection. I have all four of those.

I too have a Super Bowl Ball also one from the 1971 team and 1968. They too are signed in different colored inks.

I have one room of my house that so full of Chiefs things, you can hardly move in there.

BigChiefsFan 12-15-2000 10:14 AM

Rick--
What are the other three items? My grandfather kept damn near everything he owned his entire life in his basement, but that mug was all he had. Were they give-aways for season ticket holders?

Mizzou--
I also have a handful of the those cards the police gave out. Of course, that's when policemen were my friend . . . growing up in Raytown, once you get past 16 meant that the police were now the enemy! :D I wonder if any of those are rare enough to be worth anything . . . ?

MM
~~Kept the gear through the lean years.

Stingie D 12-15-2000 11:53 AM

Mark,

I was wrong, there are seven pieces to the collection. Four different steins of different sizes, a drinking glass, an ashtray, and a plaque. These were sold by the Kansas City Star for several weeks after the Chiefs won the Super Bowl.I can still see those ads that they ran for these in my mind.

Another piece that I have is Bill Kenney's actual game helmet from the 1984 Pro Bowl. My son and I were at a game back there one time and I was in line to get a ticket for an upcoming game and he comes my son with Bill Kenney. He told me that someone had stolen the helmet from the locker room after the game and wanted to know how I got it. After asking me a few questions about it, he verified that it is the actual helmet.

karob 12-15-2000 11:56 AM

Rick, what was the attendance of those games?

Stingie D 12-15-2000 11:58 AM

Bricky.

Please, be more specific,what games?

BigChiefsFan 12-15-2000 12:00 PM

Rick--
I guess I have two of the seven, then. Any idea where one can pick up the others?

What about a price for the stein? I've had the signed football appraised for about $2,000 (for insurance). Does that seem right to anyone else?

MM
~~Doesn't need money (well, actually, I do), just curious.

karob 12-15-2000 12:05 PM

The 1963 games listed on the beer stein. Sounds like a cool item to have.

Stingie D 12-15-2000 12:09 PM

Mark.

I don't know where you would find the others. Back in the late 1970's and the 1980's you could find these things at card and memorabilia shops because nobody wanted them. After the Chiefs started winning in the 1990's the thing became rather hard to locate. You could buy all those things cheap but not today.

Your football is worth the $2000 . Is it the Spalding white panel autograph ball?

bishop_74 12-15-2000 12:13 PM

I have the SBIV game film on VHS. It's not really what I would call a collector's item but it is fun to watch.

The Chiefs kicked a$$ back then. Gaz would love to watch the defense. The D-line was outstanding and to watch Lanier hit somebody puts even Edwards to shame.

BigChiefsFan 12-15-2000 12:14 PM

Rick--
Yep. Three white panels and one leather. I'm assuming they were given or collected by season ticket holders of the time. My grandfather died before I found out how he got it.

My 1964 ball is white leather on two sides (names stamped on one, an AFL logo on the other) and a yellowish suade on the other two. I hear it's not worth that much since it's stamped, not signed.

And I figured the influx of fair-weather fans in the early '90s probably did good and bad—good that the worth of these items has increased, but bad in that you can't find them at a reasonable price.

MM
~~Stuck in the old Catch-22.

Stingie D 12-15-2000 12:16 PM

Bricky,

The 1963 Stein is really cool. It has a Chiefs player on it in the home uniform, a pewter lid and is done in all the Chiefs colors. It is pretty big stands probably 10-12 inches tall.

The attendence for games in 1963 range from a high of 30,107 to a low of 16,462.

karob 12-15-2000 12:19 PM

Rick, thanks. I was just curious.