ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Look at this play and tell me coaching is not an issue with this team. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=252654)

Hammock Parties 11-16-2011 10:08 PM

Look at this play and tell me coaching is not an issue with this team.

It's the end of the third quarter. We're down 10-7 and desperately need a drive.

We run Battle to the right side. When he hits the turf there is 30 seconds left in the quarter. Thirty seconds. That is an eternity in the NFL.

What do we do?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/08P2FG7U8aA?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We half-heartedly mill around and wait for the next play like the quarter just started. Haley appears to simply concede the last 30 seconds, in fact you can see him saying "that's the quarter."

Zero situational awareness. Zero effort to try and get another snap off before the quarter ends. Zero interest in picking up the pace.

A well-coached team does not respond to that situation in that manner. I've seen good teams - the Patriots, the Colts, etc, etc, in this situation and they pick up the pace and get in another snap before the quarter ends. Not the Chiefs. They act like they don't give a shit.

Maybe I'm ****ing crazy but that pisses me off.

Chiefnj2 11-16-2011 10:11 PM

I don't see the big deal with 15 minutes left, a 3 point differential and possession of the ball.

BigMeatballDave 11-16-2011 10:11 PM

I blame any and all deficiencies on Matt Cassel until proven otherwise.

Bewbies 11-16-2011 10:12 PM

Down 10-7 end of the 3rd? This is your proof of poor coaching? LMAO

You're a Real Housewife of Chiefsplanet.

Hammock Parties 11-16-2011 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 8116974)
I don't see the big deal with 15 minutes left, a 3 point differential and possession of the ball.

What if you catch the Broncos unprepared on the final snap because they have to line up quickly? What if you get a big play out of it? Snapping that ball might turn out to be the play that turns the game around.

OnTheWarpath15 11-16-2011 10:13 PM

They can barely get plays in on time when given a 40 second play clock - you expect them to get a play in with 30 seconds left?

Hammock Parties 11-16-2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 8116985)
They can barely get plays in on time when given a 40 second play clock - you expect them to get a play in with 30 seconds left?

Sounds like a coaching issue.

Chiefs=Champions 11-16-2011 10:15 PM

Really isn't the best example..

KcMizzou 11-16-2011 10:18 PM

They thought they'd figured out Denver's running game at that point, so there wasn't a big rush. At that point, a long time consuming scoring drive would have been great. (emphasis on the scoring)

This was just a cripple fight. Tebow hit one pass, and that was the nail in the coffin.

Hammock Parties 11-16-2011 10:19 PM

By the way, we punted on this drive, and Tebow hit the bomb on Denver's ensuing possession.

OnTheWarpath15 11-16-2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gif Horse (Post 8116990)

Getting play calls in on time has been an issue for all of Haley's tenure.

But this is a poor example. You're nitpicking. Which is reeruned, considering there are a ton of much better examples of piss-poor coaching you could have used.

BigMeatballDave 11-16-2011 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gif Horse (Post 8116990)

Or a stupid QB issue.

The plays are drawn in crayon. That's the only way Matt can understand them

ChiefsCountry 11-16-2011 10:21 PM

This is really not a big deal.

Hammock Parties 11-16-2011 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8117013)
Or a stupid QB issue.

The plays are drawn in crayon. That's the only way Matt can understand them

Actually, I think Cassel is a very smart guy, and a quick thinker when the ball isn't in play. He's always run a pretty good 2-minute drill in terms of getting things organized and avoiding colossal ****ups.

That's why you see him frustrated about this playcalling thing, and frustrated by things like Baldwin running the wrong route (this happened in the third quarter on our TD drive, Baldwin ran into the same area as Breaston and Cassel got pissed). He has the aptitude to run the offense quickly and efficiently.

But apparently the coaches don't even prepare for this kind of situation. Or maybe they do, they just didn't even realize it was happening.

Either way, piss poor.

Hammock Parties 11-16-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 8117015)
This is really not a big deal.

It might not seem like a big deal, but every play in this league is huge. A game can turn on one play. In a game where we needed every snap possible, we said "meh."

I sure didn't see Denver saying "meh" to that third and 11.