ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV 'Under the Dome" coming to CBS summer '13 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267201)

Frazod 06-25-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC-TBB (Post 9773912)
King books always better than movie/miniseries...still nice to see something other than reruns...

Shawshank Redemption, the Shining and Stand By Me say hello.

frankotank 06-25-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC-TBB (Post 9773912)
King books always better than movie/miniseries...still nice to see something other than reruns...

I think that's just the way it is with every book vs movie....but usually even more so with SK.
however....if you've never seen The Shining mini series with Steve Weber playing the father.....it's really really good and follows the book to a T.

I liked the first Dome episode. still hate the book though.

keg in kc 06-25-2013 01:15 PM

That was okay, but the damn crazy teen angst shit almost killed the whole hour for me. I can't handle 13 weeks of that.

frankotank 06-25-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9774617)
That was okay, but the damn crazy teen angst shit almost killed the whole hour for me. I can't handle 13 weeks of that.

ANGST!? hell that one kid is straight up NUTS. I forgot about him. been a while since I read the book.

speaking of which....any a you's that read the book....
I can't remember....

Spoiler!

keg in kc 06-25-2013 01:28 PM

That's why I said "crazy teen angst".

I haven't given the book a second look, so I'm not sure I remember everything, but I don't think Shumway was married, and Dale Barbara definitely didn't kill anyone as I recall. (None of that bothers me...)

I think the main thing is that the actors portraying Junior and Angie just sucked.
Spoiler!

frankotank 06-25-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9774635)
That's why I said "crazy teen angst".

I haven't given the book a second look, so I'm not sure I remember everything, but I don't think Shumway was married, and Dale Barbara definitely didn't kill anyone as I recall. (None of that bothers me...)

I think the main thing is that the actors portraying Junior and Angie just sucked.
Spoiler!

ROFL @ your spoiler comment. I did indeed realize that she shouldn't be where she is...she should be gone....and I thought the same thing.....oh NO!

mr. tegu 06-25-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9774263)
Shawshank Redemption, the Shining and Stand By Me say hello.

I had no idea Shawshank was based on a Stephen King book! :eek:

keg in kc 06-25-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9774719)

Novella, but yep. Apt Pupil and Stand By Me came from the same collection of short fiction.

Frazod 06-25-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9774719)

Green Mile, too. Although that one's a bit more obvious with the supernatural angle.

ShowtimeSBMVP 06-25-2013 02:55 PM

This was bad.

KS Smitty 06-25-2013 09:55 PM

I'm a huge SK fan. I have all of his books and have read many of them more than once. Yeah most of his endings leave a lot to be desired but I think he writes like the Brothers Grimm, it's the story itself that's important not the happily ever after part. That being said the book ending to Under the Dome was quite stupid. I think where he gets in trouble is that he's writing away and suddenly realizes that he has a page limit on his stories so he has to hurriedly wrap them up.

The first episode of Under the Dome will have me watching the next. I knew that CBS wouldn't want necrophilia in this episode and am not surprised with the direction that was taken.

Will probably watch the entire miniseries or as long as it airs.

Buck 06-25-2013 10:47 PM

Wait, at the end was Lapidus shot or did his pacemaker explode out of his chest?

keg in kc 06-26-2013 05:10 AM

Pacemaker exploded. At least that's what happened in the book.

Frosty 06-26-2013 07:26 AM

It was okay and I'll keep watching but it suffered from some of the same things the book did, like how some people became insanely evil the instant the dome came up. I'm not a fan of how they've changed Barbie, either. He was the only decent character in the book, imo.

frankotank 06-26-2013 08:03 AM

when I saw that Fahey was the sheriff I was like......ahh man! they really gonna waste him on one episode?? so when he was initially in close proximity to the dome and didn't touch it I thought, hey, maybe they will let him live! because they GOTTA tweak this story somehow or it's gonna be a turd like the book.

nope.
he touched it.
I was like....

<object width="16" height="16" class="hark_player">
<param name="movie" value="http://cdn.hark.com/swfs/player_16x16.swf?pid=ltvxqhshtv"/>
<param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"/>
<param name="allownetworking" value="all"/>
<param name="wmode" value="transparent"/>
<embed src="http://cdn.hark.com/swfs/player_16x16.swf?pid=ltvxqhshtv" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allownetworking="all" width="16" height="16" wmode="transparent"></embed>