ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music Opeth: holy **** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=225927)

Stanley Nickels 04-03-2010 05:20 PM

Opeth: holy ****

So, I'm typically very indie rock when it comes to music; I also like a lot of old blues and even some bluegrass.
I usually HATE metal. I think it sounds annoying and gives me a headache. I don't mean that faux-metal they play on 98.9.. I know what death, grind, and black metal are, and I typically believe they're just different genres for me to be annoyed with.
But I recently started listening to Opeth, and I absolutely love it. Holy shit. I bought their album Blackwater Park, and I really like it. I'm not sure how I made it this long without hearing them, but it's not like that type of metal is necessarily mainstream.

Anyway, I'm a convert. Even when he growls, the music behind it is so densely layered and complex that I still really like it. Anybody else like Opeth? Good recommendations for a second purchase?

Demonpenz 04-03-2010 05:21 PM

I know for a fact one plannateer will be in this thread

googlegoogle

NewChief 04-03-2010 05:52 PM

Yes. Opeth is awesome. I'm pretty into indie as well. You might also like Between the Buried and Me. Similar with lots of cool movements and changes within a given song.

Pneuma 04-03-2010 06:29 PM

Is is just me or is Opeth getting progressively worse? Lindgren could not be replaced. Opeth is still better then 90% of all other music but just saying...

I remember when I first found out about Opeth. It is a great moment.

rad 04-03-2010 06:42 PM

What are some of their best songs to check out? I'm intrigued.....

Reaper16 04-03-2010 06:49 PM

They've been my favorite band for a long, long time. Listen to "Still Life" and "Watershed" next and branch out from there.

Reaper16 04-03-2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pneuma (Post 6650479)
Is is just me or is Opeth getting progressively worse? Lindgren could not be replaced. Opeth is still better then 90% of all other music but just saying...

I remember when I first found out about Opeth. It is a great moment.

No, I don't think that at all. The only thing they're getting is more Progressive and less Death Metal. Mikael wrote everything anyway. As far as lineup changes go- Axenrot is a very good metal drummer but Martin Lopez was one of the best drummers on Earth. Still, this band is all-Akerfeldt, all the time. They're fine.

Reaper16 04-03-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rad (Post 6650495)
What are some of their best songs to check out? I'm intrigued.....

If you really are intrigued then please listen to these 4 songs. If you're worried about the song length, well, they play long songs. I added it up one time and the average Opeth song lasts 8.5 minutes.

<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zIyJ5_reDSI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cfguytGSX2M&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7KjOhoH0dY4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

<object width="640" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kenyBvpL0qQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></object>

NewChief 04-03-2010 07:07 PM

My breakthrough Opeth moment: listening to Watershed. Lotus Eater, I believe. And the freaking jazz section in that.... just blew me away that these guys were going from super heavy grinding shit to that light jazz feel.

I'm still not a huge Opeth head (as evidenced by my inability to recall the exact song I'm trying to remember), but I definitely appreciate them. I'd love to just have 50 great metal albums in the vein of Opeth sitting around to indoctrinate me to the greatness of the genre. I know it's good stuff... but I just can't get past certain aspects of it. When I hear a band like Opeth or BTBAM... the inherent quality of the music overwhelms any problems I have with other aspects of the genre.

Reaper16 04-03-2010 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6650522)
My breakthrough Opeth moment: listening to Watershed. Lotus Eater, I believe. And the freaking jazz section in that.... just blew me away that these guys were going from super heavy grinding shit to that light jazz feel.

I'm still not a huge Opeth head (as evidenced by my inability to recall the exact song I'm trying to remember), but I definitely appreciate them. I'd love to just have 50 great metal albums in the vein of Opeth sitting around to indoctrinate me to the greatness of the genre. I know it's good stuff... but I just can't get past certain aspects of it. When I hear a band like Opeth or BTBAM... the inherent quality of the music overwhelms any problems I have with other aspects of the genre.

Were you seriously asking? 'Cuz, you know...

NewChief 04-03-2010 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6650524)
Were you seriously asking? 'Cuz, you know...

Well... the problem is acquiring said albums....

Reaper16 04-03-2010 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6650525)
Well... the problem is acquiring said albums....

You could d/l from a list of albums I'd give you. Think of it as research instead of stealing; a metal evaluation period.

rad 04-03-2010 07:15 PM

Holy shit, I guess so. I'll watch those tomorrow to give them due diligence. Too late for me, gotta work tomorrow (on frickin' Easter :grr:)

Sounds good so far though. Thanks for the vids.

NewChief 04-03-2010 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6650526)
You could d/l from a list of albums I'd give you. Think of it as research instead of stealing; a metal evaluation period.

Hey. I'm there. I can tell you where my tastes run, and why I like Opeth.

I can't stand the unrelenting shit that just stays hard hard hard. I like the stuff that has variety. Goes from beautiful and melodic and uplifting to nasty and evil. I like the contrasts. I also like stuff that spans and samples from different genres. And I don't mean just... influenced by this genre (because all metal is influenced by jazz). I mean... sounds like a certain genre. Seems to actually sample it at times.

Reaper16 04-03-2010 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6650531)
Hey. I'm there. I can tell you where my tastes run, and why I like Opeth.

I can't stand the unrelenting shit that just stays hard hard hard. I like the stuff that has variety. Goes from beautiful and melodic and uplifting to nasty and evil. I like the contrasts. I also like stuff that spans and samples from different genres. And I don't mean just... influenced by this genre (because all metal is influenced by jazz). I mean... sounds like a certain genre. Seems to actually sample it at times.

I'm going to work on a list of awesome stuff that blends sounds and styles. I'll post it here later tonight.