ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics WebOS (almost) Killed Off (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=248661)

DaFace 08-18-2011 05:24 PM

WebOS (almost) Killed Off

http://techcrunch.com/2011/08/18/its...-the-touchpad/

HP Kills Off webOS Phones And The TouchPad

Brace yourselves, webOS fans.

In the hours leading up to their Q3 conference call later today, HP has just confirmed that they will be discontinuing operations surrounding the TouchPad and all webOS phones.

To quote their press release:

HP reported that it plans to announce that it will discontinue operations for webOS devices, specifically the TouchPad and webOS phones. HP will continue to explore options to optimize the value of webOS software going forward.

This news will come as a rather huge punch to the gut for webOS die-hards (myself included, though you can’t say that we couldn’t see it coming), many of whom have stood by the product for years — first in hopes that Palm would eventually launch a device worthy of the rather fantastic operating system, and later in hopes that HP’s acquisition of Palm would be the spark to the fire that just never seemed to light.

On the upside, webOS itself isn’t dead — at least, not just yet. HP’s wording up above leaves things a bit vague, with at least two potential routes left open: licensing webOS to others, and sticking webOS in other, non-phone/tablet devices (HP has already mentioned plans to put it in printers and cars.) Until further notice, however, it’s essentially dead in the water.

Pour one out for webOS devices tonight, my fellow geeks.

Update: HP’s Stephen DeWitt says “We are not walking away from webOS.” They will continue efforts to advance and perhaps license the OS, but its life as we have known it is certainly over.

The Franchise 08-18-2011 05:25 PM

amost?

DaFace 08-18-2011 05:25 PM

Kind of disappointing. I mean, I don't personally use it, but it's sad when a competitor is killed off. Hopefully the fire of the Android/iOS battle will keep them both innovating.

Crush 08-18-2011 05:43 PM

The Touchpad had no camera, sdcard, HDMI, or USB with buggy software installed. It should be no surprise that it failed against more feature-rich tablets.

BigMeatballDave 08-18-2011 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 7834256)
The Touchpad had no camera, sdcard, HDMI, or USB with buggy software installed. It should be no surprise that it failed against more feature-rich tablets.

Seriously? That thing was doomed to fail.

morphius 08-18-2011 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 7834256)

Wow, that is just terrible. From the reports I read they were trying to make money off of software, so maybe they will license webOS. Which might even work better for them now depending on what Google does with Motorola.

DaFace 08-18-2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 7834230)
amost?

Technically, the OS itself isn't being completely abandoned. They just don't know WTF they're going to do with it.

Crush 08-18-2011 05:59 PM

Correction: The Touchpad did have a micro-USB port, but it was still doomed from the start.

Mr. Laz 08-18-2011 05:59 PM

Is Amost in anyway related to Anus?

Crush 08-18-2011 06:01 PM

The most troubling about this news, in my opinion, is the fact that the WebOS GUI is far superior to both Android and iOS. Hopefully, HP will license it Samsung, HTC, and other companies that will actually build decent hardware for it to run on.

AustinChief 08-18-2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 7834296)
The most troubling about this news, in my opinion, is the fact that the WebOS GUI is far superior to both Android and iOS. Hopefully, HP will license it Samsung, HTC, and other companies that will actually build decent hardware for it to run on.

Android now has the GUI guy from WebOs and the first full release under his watch will be Ice Cream Sandwich.. unfortunately I think it will be a "bastard" release that is more of a stepping stone to get to what he is shooting for. I was hoping for A LOT more from him by now but apparently it's slow going.

Valiant 08-18-2011 08:02 PM

Yeah, they said they might also sell off their PC side also and go the route of IBM..

DaFace 08-18-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 7834230)
amost?

Heh...took me until now to figure out wtf this was about. I = dumb.

morphius 08-18-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 7834664)
Yeah, they said they might also sell off their PC side also and go the route of IBM..

Yeah, I always scratch my head when a company sells off a good chunk of its business, when it is pretty profitable. Makes me wonder if it is management by the margin, if we can't match the margin of apple then we just shouldn't try. Wonder how many 1000's of Americans will lose their jobs on this when some Chinese company buys the PC business.

Dallas Chief 08-18-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 7834664)

That's what happens when you loose $200-$300 on every PC you sell. The only person that wins is the consumer. It just isn't a sustainable business model no matter how much money you are making on your ink cartridges.