ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Covitz:Chiefs envision Eric Berry as pass rushing and defending threat (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275102)

Tribal Warfare 08-06-2013 02:28 AM

Covitz:Chiefs envision Eric Berry as pass rushing and defending threat

Chiefs envision Eric Berry as pass rushing and defending threat
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star
Chiefs strong safety Eric Berry just may be capable of pulling off a rare double this season.

The way the Chiefs are using Berry — as a pass rusher as well as a pass defender — he just could rank among the team’s leaders in both interceptions and sacks.

“I’m going to be all over the place,” Berry said of his role in defensive coordinator Bob Sutton’s aggressive scheme.

Berry, in fact, needs a road map as much as a playbook to figure out where he’s lining up from play to play.

He’s the strong safety in the base defense. He can be a blitzing safety or cover safety in the nickel defense. And he’s a linebacker in the dime defense.

“I really had to get into my playbook because there are certain things I didn’t know how to do in the past,” said Berry, in his fourth season with the Chiefs. “I have to know what to do as a linebacker … sometimes I’m rushing off the edge. Sometimes I have to stay on top of my game before … like with the safety position.

“There are just so many different things that I have to know what to do, and I pretty much just cause confusion on the opposing offense. I guess that’s my job.”

Sutton believes Berry, a 6-foot, 211-pounder, can handle covering tight ends and backs coming out of the backfield as well as provide run support and put pressure on the passer.

“Eric has a great skill set,” Sutton said. “He’s one of those guys that can play deep … he has the ability to come down and play low in the box in (nickel) situations. He can cover, he can blitz, he’s a very active run defender for a defensive back … down in the box. He has a feel for it, he can slither in and out of the box, so he gives us a lot of flexibility. The more things he can do, the more difficult it is for the opposing teams to say ‘This is what he is.’”

It’s certainly more fun for Berry than sitting back in centerfield waiting for the action to come to him.

“I don’t look at it as doing one job,” Berry said. “I like my job because it’s multiple. They ask me to do a lot of things. I blitz, I cover, I play the pass. I feel like that’s a lot to put on a player, but I feel like I can handle it so I put a lot on myself. I want to be able to fit that role.”

Berry, the Chiefs’ first-round pick in 2010, has been known to get to the quarterback. He had two sacks in a game at Oakland as a rookie. And he has five career interceptions. Now, quarterbacks will have to play a guessing game with what Berry might be doing.

“Last year, people kind of game planned, and they always knew, I would be here, Eric would be there …” free safety Kendrick Lewis said. “Coach Bob is doing a great job disguising … they don’t know where we’ll be. They can’t locate Eric Berry. He can do all those things where Coach Sutton sets him up.”

Berry’s confident he can fulfill his added duties because he’s completely healthy. After a Pro Bowl rookie season in 2010, Berry missed the 2011 season after suffering torn knee ligaments in the first series of the season opener. Though Berry returned in 2012, ranked second on the team in tackles and returned to the Pro Bowl, he didn’t have the impact he expects to make this year, both as a player and as a team leader.

“I have a lot of confidence in my knee right now, my athletic ability right now and the knowledge that I acquired last year from dealing with that,” Berry said. “It’s a total difference …

“I’m going to do what I do. A lot of people look to me for different things and I’m just going to be strong for my team. I’m going to try to be a good example and get us pushed in the right direction. I want to be a sparkplug for the team.”

Nickel back Dunta Robinson, a 10-year veteran who signed with the Chiefs in the offseason, has been impressed with what he’s seen in Berry.

“You’re talking about a guy who can play any position,” Robinson said. “He’s as good as advertised. He’s on his way to becoming the best safety in this league. As long as he keeps preparing, and stays humble the way he’s doing, and stays focused the way he’s been … he’s probably the best safety I’ve been around. I’ve been around some good safeties, but he’s probably the best.”

Tribal Warfare 08-06-2013 02:29 AM

and like voodoo magic an article is written about the very subject we were discussing earlier.

T-post Tom 08-06-2013 02:42 AM

Nice story. Now when does the story on an upgrade for Lewis come out?

over/under on Lewis' next shoulder injury: Oct 6 at Titans

mdchiefsfan 08-06-2013 03:11 AM

Eric Berry, man, you scary!

bevischief 08-06-2013 03:11 AM

Water is wet.

beach tribe 08-06-2013 03:19 AM

I have had the feeling that Berry is going to be worth the price of admission this year.
The guy is about to truly explode IMO.

Chiefs=Champions 08-06-2013 03:31 AM

And there you have it. Healthy enough to play various positions.

AussieChiefsFan 08-06-2013 03:57 AM

Berry's rookie season was incredible. Last year towards the beginning of the season you could tell he wasn't 100%. Further towards the end of the season the improvement in his play was noticeable. I'm expecting big things from him this year.

loochy 08-06-2013 05:36 AM

Newsflash - Chiefs think Jamaal Charles can run the ball AND catch it sometimes

Also, Colquitt can be a threat on field goals AND kickoffs

Chief Roundup 08-06-2013 05:48 AM

Evidently Sutton hasn't seen Berry getting owned by every tight end in the NFL. Berry cannot cover a TE to save his life.

dannybcaitlyn 08-06-2013 05:55 AM

Hopefully they teach him how to blitz the QB because it was pretty subpar last year when they sent him in.

BlackHelicopters 08-06-2013 05:59 AM

Chiefs defense envisions shutting down opponents offenses./Covitz

TEX 08-06-2013 07:23 AM

Shoot I'd just like to envision Eric Berry as someone who could actually cover TE's...

Pasta Little Brioni 08-06-2013 07:53 AM

You guys are reeruned. He was absolutely playing at a high level the last part of the season. Yeah, he struggled early in the year.

Hog's Gone Fishin 08-06-2013 08:19 AM

I remember him getting owned by Antonio Gates. I like Berry though.