ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Doing the right thing. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=242006)

Phobia 02-24-2011 01:55 PM

Doing the right thing.

I need some help making a decision.

Somebody I know contacted me asking for advice on a finish nailer purchase. I gave him several options and then remembered I had one new out in my shop I wasn't using. I looked up the lowest price on ebay $150 and gave it to him for $120.

Sent it via USPS priority Feb 4th. Hasn't arrived to his house. USPS says we're screwed - they lost it but don't offer anything at all.

I have a couple used finish guns or a new brad nailer I've offered.

I don't know the other guy's proposed solution. We haven't talked about it since yesterday. I'm not sure I'm on the hook for the entire $120 since I did everything right. I definitely don't think he should absorb the entire cost either.

So, what do think?

seclark 02-24-2011 01:57 PM

someone's going to get nailed.
sec

Dante84 02-24-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 7450869)
someone's going to get nailed.
sec

/thread

blaise 02-24-2011 01:59 PM

I'll be honest, I think it's the shipper's responsibility. That's how I would look at it if I ordered something off the internet. He's your friend (or at least an acquaintance) so that makes it a bit different, but he's received nothing so I don't know why he should pay anything.

Phobia 02-24-2011 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 7450873)
I'll be honest

That's what I want. I'm not looking for an excuse not to pay.

Old Dog 02-24-2011 02:02 PM

Unless you offered shipping insurance and he declined, I would say you promised a product and didn't deliver so you should give him his $ back.
If you asked if he wanted it insured and he declined, he's SOL.

Not trying to be an ass, that's just the way I see it from an impartial viewpoint.

Brock 02-24-2011 02:02 PM

He paid you, you didn't deliver the merchandise, and you don't think he should get every cent of his money back?

Donger 02-24-2011 02:02 PM

Who is Brad and why do you want to nail him?

blaise 02-24-2011 02:04 PM

Hopefully he doesn't use Paypal and you can just not pay him back.

Otter 02-24-2011 02:04 PM

He needs to not feel defeeted, keep a leg up until the healing comes afoot.

wrong thread?

God of Thunder 02-24-2011 02:16 PM

Insurance is the shipper's option. NEVER the buyer's. On eBay you can 'sneak' your insurance cost into your shipping fee's, but the Insurance is only good for the seller, its a "failsafe" way to get your money back if something should go awry. As far as you 'asking' him for insurance, and him refusing means he is SOL, is COMPLETELY bad information. Take a look at the paypal terms on service (which im guessing is what you completed the transaction through) and you will see that it states the person who SHIPS is the only person insurance is good for. In fact, if he files a "item never received" on paypal, your paypal account will be deducted the full amount and he will have received his money back. Paypal has screwed us sellers over with their 'new' terms and there is a HUGE HUGE amount of fraud going on with eBay now. Apparently, all you hafta do it claim you never received the item, you get your money back, and keep the item. If they had tracking, all you must do it show a photo of an empty carton and claim it fell out through the course of transit. You'd get to keep whatever the purchase item was, get a full refund, and the seller is screwed unless he has insurance. Don't believe me, do a little research, and you'd be SHOCKED at how easy it is to scam sellers on eBay.

edit: And to echo everyone else's thoughts, if the package never shows up, you didn't deliver the item as promised, he's entitled to a full refund.

Phobia 02-24-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by God Of Thunder (Post 7450944)
Insurance is the shipper's option. NEVER the buyer's. On eBay you can 'sneak' your insurance cost into your shipping fee's, but the Insurance is only good for the seller, its a "failsafe" way to get your money back if something should go awry. As far as you 'asking' him for insurance, and him refusing means he is SOL, is COMPLETELY bad information. Take a look at the paypal terms on service (which im guessing is what you completed the transaction through) and you will see that it states the person who SHIPS is the only person insurance is good for. In fact, if he files a "item never received" on paypal, your paypal account will be deducted the full amount and he will have received his money back. Paypal has screwed us sellers over with their 'new' terms and there is a HUGE HUGE amount of fraud going on with eBay now. Apparently, all you hafta do it claim you never received the item, you get your money back, and keep the item. If they had tracking, all you must do it show a photo of an empty carton and claim it fell out through the course of transit. You'd get to keep whatever the purchase item was, get a full refund, and the seller is screwed unless he has insurance. Don't believe me, do a little research, and you'd be SHOCKED at how easy it is to scam sellers on eBay.

edit: And to echo everyone else's thoughts, if the package never shows up, you didn't deliver the item as promised, he's entitled to a full refund.

This is what I'm looking for, actually. On whose shoulders does insurance fall. I mistakenly thought Priority mail implied $100 worth of coverage. It doesn't.

Old Dog 02-24-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by God Of Thunder (Post 7450944)

Unless I missed something it wasn't a transaction through E-bay, so your post is a bit flawed (or I read it wrong). I never stated anything pertaining to E-bay policy, only what I thought was the moral thing to do.

Phobia 02-24-2011 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truebigdog (Post 7450960)
Unless I missed something it wasn't a transaction through E-bay, so your post is a bit flawed. I never stated anything pertaining to E-bay policy, only what I thought was the moral thing to do.

I'm actually working from an ebay mentatility. I'll do whatever is common and accepted practice for ebay.

Phobia 02-24-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7450884)
He paid you, you didn't deliver the merchandise, and you don't think he should get every cent of his money back?

I contend it's not my fault. I know it's not his fault. I'm trying to determine what is SOP for sellers under these circumstances.