ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Williamson: Early AFC West Salary Cap Check... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268632)

DaWolf 01-08-2013 05:11 PM

Williamson: Early AFC West Salary Cap Check...

Quote:

Early AFC West salary-cap check
January, 8, 2013
By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com

The focus is on 2013 for all but eight teams in the NFL.

Teams will soon be readying for free agency. To get a feel for what teams will have to spend in free agency, ESPN’s John Clayton has the current salary-cap numbers.

Please remember all salary-cap numbers are fluid and things change. But this gives you a working idea of where each team stands.

In the AFC West, the best team is in the best cap standing. The Broncos, who host Baltimore on Saturday in the divisional playoff round, are $18.5 million under the cap. They should be able to add some solid pieces if they wish. They do have to either extend or give the franchise tag to standout left tackle Ryan Clady. That will take up some space.

The Chiefs continue to be in good cap health. It is $16.1 million under the cap. It has free agents, receiver Dwayne Bowe, left tackle Branden Albert and punter Dustin Colquitt, to deal with. I think Albert and Colquitt are more likely to return to Kansas City at this point, but it has flexibility.

San Diego is $8.7 million under the cap. It should be enough to get a couple of starters. The Chargers need the most help on the offensive line.

Meanwhile, Oakland is one of 10 teams currently over the salary cap. Oakland is $4.5 million over the cap. It was severely over the cap last season. This year, the Raiders, who will have to address punter Shane Lechler, tight end Brandon Myers and linebacker Philip Wheeler in free agency, will still have to make a lot of tough decisions and will have to tweak some contracts again. But they should be able to do a little more than they did last
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...lary-cap-check

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012...t-cap-strategy

O.city 01-08-2013 05:12 PM

If the Raiders release Big Dic Seymour, grab him up.

The Franchise 01-08-2013 05:13 PM

$16.1 million under the cap BEFORE we release Tyson Jackson and Matt Cassel. We'll be in fine shape.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-08-2013 05:13 PM

Faid so full of fail once again.

DaWolf 01-08-2013 05:14 PM

Can't believe the Bengals have $55 mil of cap space. Those numbers are going to change after the season is over and bonuses and incentives kick in...

DJ's left nut 01-08-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9297303)
$16.1 million under the cap BEFORE we release Tyson Jackson and Matt Cassel. We'll be in fine shape.

And if they are able to extend Bowe or Albert (rather than tag them), their cap figures would actually go down.

This team could really do some damage in FA this off-season if it wanted to.

O.city 01-08-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9297313)
And if they are able to extend Bowe or Albert (rather than tag them), their cap figures would actually go down.

What are you thinking?

Who should we target?

BlackHelicopters 01-08-2013 05:17 PM

Hopefully we will spend wisely.

Buehler445 01-08-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9297313)

They goddamn better sign Albert and Bowe.

You have to think Bowe is excited to play for Reid, and also that that ****ing scumbag Pioli is gone.

**** Pioli. Seriously. How the **** do you not sign Bowe? He's the best WR we've had in 30 years. Sign him to his second ****ing contract. Or everyone dies.

Hammock Parties 01-08-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9297314)
What are you thinking?

Who should we target?

FS Jairus Byrd
LG Andy Levitre
CB Sam Shields
WR Greg Jennings

We get two of those guys it would be fantastic. They will all get big money.

O.city 01-08-2013 05:20 PM

Byrd and Shields would be great gets, and I'd rather spend a pick on Maclin or Harvin than Jennings at this point.

The Franchise 01-08-2013 05:20 PM

I don't know if we have a legitimate shot at Byrd.....but I would take Goldson as a consolation prize.

RunKC 01-08-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9297324)
FS Jairus Byrd
LG Andy Levitre
CB Sam Shields
WR Greg Jennings

We get two of those guys it would be fantastic. They will all get big money.

Is Sam Shields really good? Idk much about him.

The Franchise 01-08-2013 05:22 PM

I'd rather have Sean Smith.

scho63 01-08-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9297303)

I'm confused when we need to pay Tyson the huge salary-I thought it was in 2014 not 2013