ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   John Chaney to retire (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137228)

Saulbadguy 03-13-2006 08:44 AM

John Chaney to retire

Longtime Temple coach John Chaney will announce his retirement at an 11 a.m. ET press conference, a source told ESPN.com's Andy Katz.

A Hall of Famer, Chaney, 74, guided Temple to five NCAA regional finals and 17 NCAA Tournament appearances in 24 seasons in North Philadelphia.

This season, Temple (17-14) made the NIT for the fifth straight season, a dramatic decline from when it was a tournament regular.

Chaney has 741 wins as a college coach, including a 516-252 record at Temple, and has won six Atlantic 10 titles. He was twice named national coach of the year and is a five-time Atlantic 10 coach of the year.

He began his collegiate coaching career at Cheney State University where he led his team to the 1978 Division II National Championship.

arrowheadnation 03-13-2006 08:51 AM

^^and your beloved Huggins is on the short list of replacements. Just heard that from Andy Katz on Mike & Mike in the morning.

Saulbadguy 03-13-2006 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aarowheadnation
^^and your beloved Huggins is on the short list of replacements. Just heard that from Andy Katz on Mike & Mike in the morning.

Yep. I don't think Temple can afford Huggins though. At least I hope not.

Dunit35 03-13-2006 08:55 AM

Is there any talk of who the next KSU coach could be Saul?

Saulbadguy 03-13-2006 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunit35
Is there any talk of who the next KSU coach could be Saul?

Yes.

Dunit35 03-13-2006 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy
Yes.

Good one...I figured there was talk, but who are the frontrunners for it?

Saulbadguy 03-13-2006 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunit35
Good one...I figured there was talk, but who are the frontrunners for it?

The credentials that ADTW laid out:

1. HC experience
1A. NCAA Tournament experience

That's about it. Hopefully we stick to that. Some names that have been thrown around:

Bob Huggins (Ex-Cincinatti Coach), Chris Lowery (Southern Illinois HC), Greg McDermott (Northern Iowa HC), Barry Hinson (Mo State HC), Mike Anderson (UAB HC), Rob Jeter (Wisconsin-Milwaukee HC)

Dunit35 03-13-2006 09:07 AM

Quote:

1. HC experience

That's about it. Hopefully we stick to that. Some names that have been thrown around:

Bob Huggins (Ex-Cincinatti Coach), Chris Lowery (Southern Illinois HC), Greg McDermott (Northern Iowa HC), Barry Hinson (Mo State HC), Mike Anderson (UAB HC), Rob Jeter (Wisconsin-Milwaukee HC)

hmm...don't know any of them besides Huggins.

I guess I won't waste paper and put my name in it since you have to have HC experience.

ROYC75 03-13-2006 09:35 AM

Quote:

1. HC experience

I see they are going the route I mentioned, a Mid Major coach, mostly MVC coaches.

Anderson, Lowery, and Hinson are / would be a solid choice. I just find that Huggins would rather be somewhere where it is easier to recruit.

Saulbadguy 03-13-2006 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75
Anderson, Lowery, and Hinson are / would be a solid choice. I just find that Huggins would rather be somewhere where it is easier to recruit.

I think Anderson and Lowery are solid choices. I don't want Hinson.

Anderson would likely want to stay closer to home (the South). Lowery I think is a pretty solid candidate who we have a good chance of hiring.

Your last statement is stupid.

ROYC75 03-13-2006 09:41 AM

Quote:

Your last statement is stupid.

Really ? How many top notch quality players, Mc Donalds All American does KSU get in a century little know any given year ?

Nuff said ............

Saulbadguy 03-13-2006 09:43 AM

Quote:

Really ? How many top notch quality players, Mc Donalds All American does KSU get in a century little know any given year ?

Nuff said ............

How many McD's AA does San Diego State get? San Diego is probably the best location in the country to recruit to.

On the flip side, Oklahoma State is located in Stoolwater, OK. Gee. How do they ever get players?

ROYC75 03-13-2006 09:46 AM

Quote:

How many McD's AA does San Diego State get? San Diego is probably the best location in the country to recruit to.

On the flip side, Oklahoma State is located in Stoolwater, OK. Gee. How do they ever get players?

Coaching ? Last time I checked Sutton and Fischer were some pretty big names.

Saulbadguy 03-13-2006 09:47 AM

Quote:

Coaching ? Last time I checked Sutton and Fischer were some pretty big names.

You just contradicted yourself. A good coach goes much further than location. So does good facilities, and good boosters. :)

Skip Towne 03-13-2006 09:49 AM

Quote:

They take big clumsy guys like Big Country and make players out of them. Also, Tulsa is an hour away.