ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Bills contact NFL about fairness in scheduling (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=278547)

thabear04 11-13-2013 11:53 AM

Bills contact NFL about fairness in scheduling

The Buffalo Bills want a level playing field when it comes to their schedule. The team's website points out that six of the team's opponents have had extra time to prepare for Bills games because they faced Buffalo after a bye week or a "Thursday Night Football" game.

That's the highest total in the league, with the Atlanta Falcons up next with four such games. The Bills have taken their complaints to the NFL.

"We certainly have talked to the league about this because it’s been disappointing where teams are coming off a bye or a long week," Bills President and CEO Russ Brandon told WGR. "This (Sunday) is the second time we're playing the Jets coming off a Thursday night game and now we're playing them coming off a bye.

"We lead the league in amount of games coming off of extra time or a bye week. It is a very, very tough job what they have in scheduling with all the different things that go into the formula and the stadium commitments and TV schedules, but it's certainly something that needs to be addressed."

It's hard to take this complaint too seriously. Teams that repeatedly play on "Monday Night Football" are also at a disadvantage the following week, but teams love that spotlight. This is a scheduling quirk that should be avoided, and it's unfortunate for this year's Bills. But it probably happens every now and then, and we don't remember another team raising the issue publicly.

There's also the question of whether any data supports the notion that extra time actually helps a team. Previous numbers have suggested that teams coming off a bye get a modest advantage at best. We've asked our research department for recent numbers on that, and will follow up here later.

The Franchise 11-13-2013 11:55 AM

I've always thought that there should only be two bye weeks. Half the league on one....half the league on the other.

DaFace 11-13-2013 12:00 PM

Sounds like a reasonable complaint, though I doubt it changes anything.

ThaVirus 11-13-2013 12:03 PM

Very reasonable complaint. The schedule makers have plenty of time to get shit all situated. I would bet they'll pay a bit more attention to this sort of thing going forward.

thabear04 11-13-2013 12:03 PM

Only way I see them change it is maybe they take the Thursday night game out and do a double header on Sunday night or even play a Saturday night game.

notorious 11-13-2013 12:04 PM

Small Market Team.

They are ****ed.

Nzoner 11-13-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10183821)
Very reasonable complaint. The schedule makers have plenty of time to get shit all situated. I would bet they'll pay a bit more attention to this sort of thing going forward.

Reasonable yes but with that team I don't think it mattered all that much.

Old Dog 11-13-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10183797)
I've always thought that there should only be two bye weeks. Half the league on one....half the league on the other.

I would rather see 8 (one for each division).

Nzoner 11-13-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thabear04 (Post 10183822)
Only way I see them change it is maybe they take the Thursday night game out and do a double header on Sunday night or even play a Saturday night game.

I love the Saturday night idea,in fact it would be ****ing awesome if KC could get a Saturday night play-off game.

Contrarian 11-13-2013 12:10 PM

Get rid of the Thursday night games, problem solved. Make double headers on Monday night.

htismaqe 11-13-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thabear04 (Post 10183822)

Never happen.

The NFL has crossed the threshold of taking games OFF the schedule. From now on, they'll only be adding games.

mcaj22 11-13-2013 12:11 PM

this is still a newer(?) complaint. there is no precedent since Goddell and the shit league just starting adding Thursday night games for a FULL SEASON.

It wasn't a problem before because there wasnt Thursday night games starting in Week 1 to Week 16 like there is now. I think it's valid, and even worse cause the league wants to extend to TWO Thursday night games eventually? This occurrence will pop up a lot more then with scheduling.

A Salt Weapon 11-13-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 10183831)

I like this idea a lot. Each division has a bye week where all 4 teams take that week off.
Good idea.

Frazod 11-13-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10183826)
Small Market Team.

They are ****ed.

Sounds familiar.

The Franchise 11-13-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

I'm cool with that. You could really shorten it down to 4 and give two divisions a week off.

Chief Roundup 11-13-2013 12:32 PM

They will never get rid of the Thursday Night games. They are even testing the market to see about having more games on Thursday nights.
I also like the idea of divisional bye weeks.

Hog's Gone Fishin 11-13-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

I've thought the exact same thing. Would make it fair for everybody.

RippedmyFlesh 11-13-2013 01:07 PM

If it were the Chiefs instead of the Bills we would have noticed and not blown it off so easily.
That is a big disadvantage for the Bills.

Hydrae 11-13-2013 01:13 PM

Link?

Radar Chief 11-13-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrarian (Post 10183840)
Get rid of the Thursday night games, problem solved. Make double headers on Monday night.

I’m good with that. Collinsworth said the same thing on Inside the NFL. That and because of the short prep time for those that played Sunday we're seeing an inferior product on Thursday.

Pasta Little Brioni 11-13-2013 01:19 PM

Andy Reid is 17-2 coming off that extra prep time...so yeah there is an advantage for elite coaches. Guys like Fox/DelRio probably not much difference though.

Chief Roundup 11-13-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 10184073)
I’m good with that. Collinsworth said the same thing on Inside the NFL. That and because of the short prep time for those that played Sunday we're seeing an inferior product on Thursday.

I have always thought they should go with divisional bye weeks and put those teams coming off bye weeks on Thursday games.

RippedmyFlesh 11-13-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydrae (Post 10184063)
Link?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-in-scheduling

Hydrae 11-13-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RippedmyFlesh (Post 10184095)

Thank you

RippedmyFlesh 11-13-2013 01:27 PM

If this were the Chiefs I would be in meltdown mode if we weren't undefeated.

highBOLTage 11-13-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 10183922)
They will never get rid of the Thursday Night games. They are even testing the market to see about having more games on Thursday nights.
I also like the idea of divisional bye weeks.

They should only have Thursday night games during weeks 4-13 and bye weeks 3-12. Schedule it so that if you play on a Thursday night game you have a bye the previous week. The 20 teams that play Thursday night games would get a slightly shorter bye week but then get a few extra days to prepare for the next game.

tk13 11-13-2013 01:59 PM

It's probably a reasonable question, but wait until they start shipping teams off to London every week. It'll be even worse.

ptlyon 11-13-2013 02:10 PM

Dear Mr. Brandon,

Thank you for your latest inquiry on our scheduling for the 2013-14 season.

We will review and respond to your inquiry as time facilitates.

My time is occupied at the present by John Elway's constant leaving of voice mail message F bombs on how on earth we could have screwed the Broncos with their schedule of Kansas City coming off a bye week to Denver and playing them two weeks later with going to New England sandwiched in between.

Who knew KC would be unbeaten at this time of the year?

Regards and Kindly Go Fist Yourselves,
Roger Goodell

CoMoChief 11-13-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrarian (Post 10183840)

this

El Jefe 11-13-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 10183812)
Sounds like a reasonable complaint, though I doubt it changes anything.

I know this year in College Football the Buckeyes played four games in a row against opponents coming off a bye week. Saban and the Crimson Tide complained about it a couple years ago because they faced the same thing many times.

BlackHelicopters 11-13-2013 03:08 PM

Great idea of divisional bye weeks.

alnorth 11-13-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

That might actually be perfect if you also require that everyone coming off a bye week must play a division game after the bye so that no one has an advantage.

The "half the league takes a bye in 2 weeks" idea wont fly because the NFL can't afford to lose 8 games in two of their weeks, they need at least 12 each week. Your idea would work because it gives them 12 games for 8 weeks and 16 games for the other 9 weeks to sell to their TV partners.

Frazod 11-13-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Jefe (Post 10184357)
I know this year in College Football the Buckeyes played four games in a row against opponents coming off a bye week. Saban and the Crimson Tide complained about it a couple years ago because they faced the same thing many times.

But they were all Big Ten teams, so that doesn't count. LMAO

007 11-14-2013 02:54 AM

I despise the Thrusday night games. That said, scheduling thursday night games to include teams that were on bye the week prior would make the most sense. Two birds, one stone.

AussieChiefsFan 11-14-2013 05:32 AM

Quote:

Definitely. The way the NFL does the byes is really odd.

They could easily just have at least 2 divisions each week, making for 4 bye weeks. Could just make it week 8, 9, 10, 11. Or even what you said, half and half. Done.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 11-14-2013 06:59 AM

That is no way to treat our Ambassadors to Canada.

Mother****erJones 11-14-2013 07:08 AM

Meh, pussies. Play the schedule you're given.

jaa1025 11-14-2013 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thabear04 (Post 10183784)
The Buffalo Bills want a level playing field when it comes to their schedule. The team's website points out that six of the team's opponents have had extra time to prepare for Bills games because they faced Buffalo after a bye week or a "Thursday Night Football" game.

That's the highest total in the league, with the Atlanta Falcons up next with four such games. The Bills have taken their complaints to the NFL.

"We certainly have talked to the league about this because it’s been disappointing where teams are coming off a bye or a long week," Bills President and CEO Russ Brandon told WGR. "This (Sunday) is the second time we're playing the Jets coming off a Thursday night game and now we're playing them coming off a bye.

"We lead the league in amount of games coming off of extra time or a bye week. It is a very, very tough job what they have in scheduling with all the different things that go into the formula and the stadium commitments and TV schedules, but it's certainly something that needs to be addressed."

It's hard to take this complaint too seriously. Teams that repeatedly play on "Monday Night Football" are also at a disadvantage the following week, but teams love that spotlight. This is a scheduling quirk that should be avoided, and it's unfortunate for this year's Bills. But it probably happens every now and then, and we don't remember another team raising the issue publicly.

There's also the question of whether any data supports the notion that extra time actually helps a team. Previous numbers have suggested that teams coming off a bye get a modest advantage at best. We've asked our research department for recent numbers on that, and will follow up here later.

Shouldn't this have been brought up when they were deciding the schedule or right after schedule release? Why now, when the NFL season is more than halfway done.

chefsos 11-14-2013 08:21 AM

Teams need the extra lead time to get over the wall to Canadia

Radar Chief 11-14-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaa1025 (Post 10186163)
Shouldn't this have been brought up when they were deciding the schedule or right after schedule release? Why now, when the NFL season is more than halfway done.

Ever hear the saying, “the low tide exposes the rocks”?
Just a thought.

L.A. Chieffan 11-14-2013 10:53 AM

I can see their complaint, my manager can't even get my schedule right on a weekly basis at taco bell