ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Another dead baby in the car seat accident (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285477)

Msmith 08-05-2014 08:59 AM

Another dead baby in the car seat accident

" WICHITA, Kan. - A child crying on the television show "Game of Thrones" jogged a foster parent's memory that he had left a 10-month-old girl inside a sweltering car while he and his partner smoked marijuana at their house, a police affidavit released Monday says.

Seth Jackson, 29, is charged with first-degree murder in the July 24 death in Wichita, Kan. No charges have been filed against his partner. CBS affiliate KWCH reports Jackson posted bond on Saturday.

Police say Kadillak Poe-Jones was inside the car with the windows up for more than two hours, according to the station. It was around 90 degrees outside. An autopsy showed the girl died of hyperthermia due to heat exposure.

The affidavit says Jackson's partner told police that Jackson called that day to let him know he would be picking the 10-month-old up from the babysitter after taking their 5-year-old adopted child to a doctor's appointment. Jackson told police that when he arrived home, he locked the car and went inside with his 5-year-old and the pizza.

Jackson's partner said he and Jackson watched one and a half episodes of "Games of Thrones" and smoked marijuana Jackson had picked up that day, according to the affidavit. The partner told police Jackson realized he had left the 10-month-old outside in the car when he heard a child crying on the TV show.

The men rushed outside, Jackson unlocked the vehicle and his partner removed the child.

The partner told investigators the girl was hot and stiff when he grabbed her from the car and carried her into the house. As he called 911, Jackson attempted CPR but could not get the child's mouth open, according to the affidavit filed by Wichita police detective Ryan Schomaker.

Officers who responded found Jackson still on the phone when they arrived, making calls and repeatedly stating, "I left her in the car, she's dead, she's dead," according to the affidavit.

Meanwhile, the girl was unresponsive and lying on her back on the couch. Firefighters moved the girl from the couch to the floor once they arrived and attempted to revive her.

Later in an interview at police headquarters, Jackson's partner told detectives he and Jackson had been foster parents to the 10-month-old girl since she was 2 weeks old. Police have not released the child's name and documents in the case only use her initials.

Although the girl died of hyperthermia, Sedgwick County District Attorney Marc Bennett said the first-degree murder charge was warranted because the child died during the commission of an inherently dangerous felony, aggravated endangering of a child. The case is not charged as intentional murder.

Jackson's defense attorney, Leslie Hulnick, called the charges "ludicrous." He said his client has been on suicide watch in the days since the incident.

"There is not one scintilla of intent on behalf of my client to hurt or harm any of those children," Hulnick told KWCH. "This is a young man who's never been in any trouble before. He is a church-goer.... [Jackson] is looking at the same sentence as if he walked into somebody's home or a store, pulled out a firearm and shot them. These are two horses of a very different color."

In addition to the 10-month-old, who they were trying to adopt, Jackson and his partner had five other children in their care. They had three other foster children ages 3, 5 and 18, and two adopted children ages 5 and 7. The two younger foster children were visiting other relatives at the time the 10-month-old died.

Prosecutors and Jackson's attorneys agree the circumstances are entirely different than a widely publicized case in Georgia, where a father faces murder and child cruelty charges on suspicion of intentionally leaving a 22-month-old boy inside a hot car last month as he went to work."

Link: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/game-of-...by-in-hot-car/

I know foster care is a big business. But what qualifiers being set for foster parents? It seems to me that these two individuals have no parental instincts nor skills to care for a child at all.

alnorth 08-05-2014 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msmith (Post 10795404)
I know foster care is a big business. But what qualifiers being set for foster parents? It seems to me that these two individuals have no parental instincts nor skills to care for a child at all.

Probably not much, but there's no qualifiers at all for being parents. I assume there's not a long line of people volunteering to be foster parents, so the state had to accept these dumb potheads.

I was confused about the murder charge, but I see they are using some Kansas version of the "felony murder rule" in this case, which is an interesting topic itself.

MTG#10 08-05-2014 09:16 AM

Another reason gays shouldn't be allowed to adopt children /some guy that hates gays on chiefsplanet

ping2000 08-05-2014 09:32 AM

Is the word "partner" now homophobic code language?

KC native 08-05-2014 09:33 AM

kadillak

What a terrible name.

Eleazar 08-05-2014 09:34 AM

Quote:

Kadillak Poe-Jones
:facepalm:

KCUnited 08-05-2014 09:34 AM

Irony they were watching a Craster episode.

Bufkin 08-05-2014 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 10795446)
kadillak

What a terrible name.

The one thing I got from this.

A Salt Weapon 08-05-2014 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 10795427)
Another reason gays shouldn't be allowed to adopt children

:thumb:

gblowfish 08-05-2014 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 10795446)
kadillak

What a terrible name.

Named after the car she was conceived in, spelled phonetically.

Their other kids are Tercell, Corolla, Impala, Paseo, and Festiva.

LoneWolf 08-05-2014 09:58 AM

I think the first degree murder charge is a little over the top (I know the whole "while committing another felony" wording of the law), but I think if you look at this logically this shouldn't be a first degree murder case. Did the guy kill the kid and possible because he was smoing pot? Yes, but he didn't premeditate the killing. This was a horrible accident. He needs to pay for what he has done, but to put what he did on the same level as the BTK and Carr brother murders is stupid.

KC native 08-05-2014 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 10795486)
I think the first degree murder charge is a little over the top (I know the whole "while committing another felony" wording of the law), but I think if you look at this logically this shouldn't be a first degree murder case. Did the guy kill the kid and possible because he was smoing pot? Yes, but he didn't premeditate the killing. This was a horrible accident. He needs to pay for what he has done, but to put what he did on the same level as the BTK and Carr brother murders is stupid.

kansas woooo

Hamwallet 08-05-2014 10:03 AM

Quote:

What was the felony? Smoking pot? That is not a felony.

alnorth 08-05-2014 10:04 AM

Quote:

yeah, this is not really what I think of as a good felony murder rule case.

If a couple hood rats try to rob a store and one of them gets shot in self-defense by the store owner, sure go ahead and charge the other guy with the felony murder of his buddy.

Gonzo 08-05-2014 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 10795427)
Another reason moron drug users shouldn't be allowed to adopt children /some guy

Fyp