ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Walter Rapes the Chiefs Draft (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283777)

Saccopoo 05-18-2014 08:31 PM

Walter Rapes the Chiefs Draft

Don't agree with the Murray pick as I believe it was a complete piss away of a selection at a position that wasn't needing a pick in the first place. Murray will not even lead a team deep into the preseason, let alone the post season.

Quote:

NFL Draft Team Grade: C- Grade

Goals Entering the 2014 NFL Draft: The Chiefs are missing a second-round pick, so they want to move down more than anything. Their aim is to do so and then grab a guard like Xavier Su'a-Filo or Joel Bitonio. After that, they have to use some selections on the receiving corps and secondary. Getting some help in the front seven and on the defensive line is another goal.

2014 NFL Draft Accomplishments: I get the feeling that the Chiefs spent more time trying to trade their pick rather than deciding whom they were going take. They let the clock run down because they were desperate to move out of the No. 23 spot, but they couldn't do anything and panicked, taking Dee Ford off the board. That was a dreadful selection; not only was Ford deemed a reach by teams we've spoken to, but he didn't even fill a need. There are members of Kansas City's organization who don't even like the pick. It was that bad.

The Chiefs redeemed themselves a bit with Phillip Gaines in the third round. Gaines is a tall, athletic, talented cornerback, who could start once Brandon Flowers is dealt. Taking Aaron Murray in the fifth frame was also a solid move, but once again, Kansas City had to redeem itself because of a reach - which was De'Anthony Thomas in the previous round.

Kansas City unquestionably came away with one of the worst classes this year. It made multiple reaches and failed to address most of its glaring needs. That's not how teams are supposed to draft.

NFL Draft Individual Grades:

23. Dee Ford, DE/OLB, Auburn: D Grade
Ugh. The Chiefs have not been drafting well in this new regime. Their class last year was Eric Fisher (who struggled), Travis Kelce, Knile Davis and Nico Johnson. They dealt this year's second for mediocre Alex Smith. And now they're taking a second-round prospect who fills a minimal need. Things are not looking very bright in Kansas City.

There's no doubt that Ford is a reach. The Chiefs could have moved down and still picked him. Ford also won't start anytime soon with Tamba Hali and Justin Houston in front of him. This is the worst pick of the first round thus far, but at least it's not on a Millen level.

87. Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice: A- Grade
There's talk that the Chiefs could trade Brandon Flowers, so it makes sense that they spent a mid-round selection on a cornerback. Phillip Gaines didn't get any national attention because he played at Rice, but he was terrific, albeit against inferior competition. He's also very athletic, so it wouldn't surprise me if he emerged as a solid starter down the road.

124. De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon: C+ Grade
Wow. This is a couple of rounds earlier than De'Anthony Thomas was expected to go, but the Oregon play-maker should be a good weapon for Alex Smith. Kansas City's quarterback can't throw deep, so he'll need another target to dump the ball off to. Thomas also serves as a needed backup for Jamaal Charles, a need created by Knile Davis' injury.

163. Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia: A Grade
Nice. Alex Smith cannot lead the Chiefs deep into the playoffs, but perhaps Aaron Murray will be able to. Murray would have gone much earlier had he not torn his ACL, so Kansas City is getting a steal and perhaps its future starting quarterback. This is an awesome pick in the fifth round.

193. Zach Fulton, G, Tennessee: B Grade
It's a shock that the Chiefs waited this long for a guard, as I was told that the position was under consideration in the first round. Zach Fulton fits the range though, so no complaints.

200. Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, OT/G, McGill: A- Grade
There was some buzz about Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, and some even thought he could go as high as the fourth round. The Canadian could eventually compete for the right tackle job.

Ragged Robin 05-18-2014 08:50 PM

I take it, he doesn't like Alex Smith? ROFL

Coochie liquor 05-18-2014 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragged Robin (Post 10637650)
I take it, he doesn't like Alex Smith? ROFL

Exactly what I got out I it. Whoever wrote this has less football knowledge than Pee Wee Herman hopped up on ecstasy and should prob stick to writing recipe reviews in Better Homes and Gardens. I saw Fors projected as a late first which is where we took him. I'd say this writer probably talked to a parking lot attendant at Arrowhead and maybe the homeless guy pandering for change in front of the stadium as his "people inside the organizatiom".

RealSNR 05-18-2014 09:26 PM

His reason for hating the Ford pick is the dumbest ****ing shit I've ever read. Wasn't a need? Was Walter one of those ****ing morons who thought the Giants were crazy for selecting JPP several years ago just because they already had Tuck, Kiwanuka, and Umenyiora?

Pass rushers, Walter. You can never go wrong with a ****ing passrusher.

****ing moron.

Sfeihc 05-18-2014 09:30 PM

Walter is a Raider fan.

ModSocks 05-18-2014 09:36 PM

Stupid.

I don't even read Walter Football anymore. They're rarely close in their mocks and they're obsessed with the Chiefs going O-Line every year. Full of hacks. First, he starts the article off stating that we were suppose to draft a guard and is seemingly upset by the fact that they didn't. He can **** off immediately. Second, he calls Dee Ford a reach, while the player he wanted the Chiefs to pick was a 2nd rounder.....

He keeps saying "The Chiefs Want to..."

Shut up. Just shut up now.

ChiefsCountry 05-18-2014 10:01 PM

Essentially he didn't like Dee Ford and DeAnthony Thomas picks.

RealSNR 05-18-2014 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 10637734)
Essentially he didn't like Dee Ford and DeAnthony Thomas picks.

I find it shocking that other teams' draft classes are without more than two picks with a C grade or lower. And he claims the Chiefs unquestionably came away with one of the worst draft classes this year.

I've got my own beef with this draft class, but that's based on my assessment of the players and has nothing to do with team need, which I never thought should have factored into the Chiefs' decisions. As a supposed "draft expert" who eats and breathes this media for a living, Walter should know that team need isn't the be all end all of good drafting.

Basically, he's full of shit.

Discuss Thrower 05-18-2014 10:55 PM

I really don't see how the draft could've gone any better for KC once you control for players available at the time the Chiefs were on the clock...

And I'm only extending that to their first three selections.. This year the field was deep enough that you were getting more than a project if you had a pick before the fifth round. I don't see how how the team could've been improved without taking a somewhat bonafide passrusher, a fast and competent defensive back and a playmaking receiver threat this year in any particular order..

Sully 05-19-2014 06:06 AM

When I saw this last week, I just laughed. His whole "panicked" line of thinking is so video game-ish. As if the team only began thinking about the draft the night of.

FRCDFED 05-19-2014 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 10637869)
When I saw this last week, I just laughed. His whole "panicked" line of thinking is so video game-ish. As if the team only began thinking about the draft the night of.

Agree. The two sixth round picks alone show that KC brass and scouts did their homework. I really like the Gaines pick. A good size fast/athletic CB in a mid-round that has a lot of upside.

WhiteWhale 05-19-2014 06:39 AM

Remember in 2012 when Walter football wrote a post-draft tirade about how incompetent and clueless the Seahawks were after their awful 2012 draft? I believe they called it the worst draft class in the history of the draft. So... that's a little perspective on WF's 'insight'.

These 'grades' that come out immediately following the draft have always been and continue to be stupid and generally horrifically inaccurate.

mikey23545 05-19-2014 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 10637869)

Sounds more like the way he wrote his column...

Mr. Arrowhead 05-19-2014 08:02 AM

meh, Walter has always hated the chiefs, even if everyone else thought we nailed the draft, Walter would still talk shit on us

Bob Dole 05-19-2014 08:03 AM

Bob Dole isn't going to put a lot of stock in a group that can't even calculate a GPA correctly.