ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Electronics Nook or Kindle? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=239602)

GloryDayz 01-03-2011 09:38 PM

Nook or Kindle?

For my after-Christmas Christmas gift, I've been thinking about an e-book. I think the iPad is a bit over the top for being used as a book reader, so I think a Nook or Kindle seems smart. Anybody care to give there opinion?

BigRedChief 01-03-2011 09:39 PM

neither, IPAD!

WebGem 01-03-2011 09:40 PM

I voted for the only thing that I have ever heard of.

trndobrd 01-03-2011 09:43 PM

"Book"

Ming the Merciless 01-03-2011 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 7319221)
For my after-Christmas Christmas gift, I've been thinking about an e-book. I think the iPad is a bit over the top for being used as a book reader, so I think a Nook or Kindle seems smart. Anybody care to give there opinion?

Droid has the kindle application...So you can use a droid device

I personally like the Droid X I just got...its JUST big enough......maybe not big enough if you are using it as a pure book reader. But it is awesome....and portable..

The ipad my buddy has is sick, but its so big.....If its just at home though....it wouldnt matter...

So , i didnt read the thread but my vote for portable would be Droid X and for a stay at home , maybe one slightly bigger like IPAD or a bigger android tab when they come out (or get more common and proven).

GloryDayz 01-03-2011 09:48 PM

It'll mainly be for on planes.

Mr. Plow 01-03-2011 09:49 PM

Kindle is pretty nice. Got one for my son for his birthday. He seems to really like it. I can't comment on the other.

Ming the Merciless 01-03-2011 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 7319239)
It'll mainly be for on planes.

Almost any device with the android OS can use kindle (e books?) books from amazon.com also, so dont limit yourself in your search! For strictly plane going, a device teh size and awesomeness of the IPAD really cant be beaten.....it can do alot of shit....but there are probably a number of android OS devices very similar coming out soon as well...I am not too up on the bigger ones, but damn I am in LOVE with my droid x.....If I get a bigger 'ipad / book / movie/ device it will probably be an android based device...You cant go too wrong either way you go though as long as you get one that is big enough for what you want. (Cuz theyre both really cool..I have played with ipod touch, ipad, droids...etc...)

Deberg_1990 01-03-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trndobrd (Post 7319228)
"Book"

Whats that?

Signed, anyone under 25....

dtebbe 01-03-2011 10:13 PM

Not sure what the other devices use for a display, but the kindle's e-ink display is amazing, and it lasts weeks on a charge.

DT

Ming the Merciless 01-03-2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtebbe (Post 7319293)
Not sure what the other devices use for a display, but the kindle's e-ink display is amazing, and it lasts weeks on a charge.

DT

Kindles seem to be pretty affordable too...I heard it was the most popular or most sold item on AMazon.com now...Just that says a lot about it. My wife gave one to her mom , and she digs it.

Direckshun 01-03-2011 10:15 PM

I have a Nook Color, and I really enjoy it.

It's not going to have a bunch of games and tricks and fun stuff you can do on the IPad, but I'm a huge reader. It's purely for those who read.

GloryDayz 01-03-2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 7319295)
I have a Nook Color, and I really enjoy it.

It's not going to have a bunch of games and tricks and fun stuff you can do on the IPad, but I'm a huge reader. It's purely for those who read.

Does the battery life turn out to be an issue?

Ming the Merciless 01-03-2011 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 7319301)
Does the battery life turn out to be an issue?

If you were flying, battery life would only be an issue on REALLY long travel days with almost any device...Unless you failed to charge it before-hand. If you turn off networking and extra shit, most devices will last long enough for even LONG ass flights. Even then you could an extra battery for many things.....I would say battery life for you would be the least of any concerns (since you primarily use it while flying).

GloryDayz 01-03-2011 10:24 PM

I do a lot of photography, so I'd think Diving and photography magazines would be a must-have for me, so color is a big plus for me. But some of the write-ups compare 8 hours to nearly 30 days. Seems like they're comparing apples to oranges in some regards.