ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News "Obesity is a disease not a decision" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274334)

lewdog 07-06-2013 01:02 PM

"Obesity is a disease not a decision"

This is a new campaign that the American Medical Association actually declared obesity a disease! Billboards with this phrase are popping up around the country.

I've worked out for 10 years straight and I definitely sacrifice eating shit food even though I enjoy it just as much as the next guy. THIS IS A DECISION I HAVE CONSCIOUSLY MADE.

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/news/da...n-disease.html

Discuss....

lewdog 07-06-2013 01:04 PM

And I have plenty of fat friends. None of them have ever claimed it is a disease. They know exactly why they are overweight, most just don't care enough and are lazy to eat right and workout. I am fine with that but please don't tell me it is because you have a disease.

There are a few cases where this a classification of disease is true...thyroid issues. Most are not this issue however and a diagnosis of a metabolic disorder is way over diagnosed for people who are just lazy/uneducated.

teedubya 07-06-2013 01:06 PM

It's a decision of laziness. Maybe a disease of the mind.

notorious 07-06-2013 01:08 PM

People become morbidly obese because they don't have self control.

BigMeatballDave 07-06-2013 01:09 PM

Disease? Maybe.

It's solely up to the individual to cure it, though.

I'm a fat ass, but It's my fault I'm fat.

Sully 07-06-2013 01:09 PM

It's not a disease, afaic, but its not the same for everyone. I'm pretty overweight. I have friends who are way lighter than me who exercise less, eat more shit, and sit around more. So while, yeah, it's my decision to not put in the hours to get as light as them, it's also a little more complex than a fat person being lazier than a skinny person.

BigMeatballDave 07-06-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 9795052)
It's a decision of laziness. Maybe a disease of the mind.

Depends on your view of laziness.

I've always been big and I've had more than a few jobs where I worked 10-12 hrs a day.

Mr. Laz 07-06-2013 01:17 PM

i imagine for some people it is a disease and i also think that certain people are more likely to gain weight than others.

i also think that for a significant % of people it's a decision/excuse/weakness. They like to eat and end up overweight.

Fire Me Boy! 07-06-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 9795055)
It's not a disease, afaic, but its not the same for everyone. I'm pretty overweight. I have friends who are way lighter than me who exercise less, eat more shit, and sit around more. So while, yeah, it's my decision to not put in the hours to get as light as them, it's also a little more complex than a fat person being lazier than a skinny person.

Agree with this.

And while I wouldn't call it a disease, I would say there is a certain amount of addiction that goes hand-in-hand with it.

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-06-2013 01:25 PM

I would imagine the american medical association is campaigning for this so insurance will eventually cover all the shit related to fat asses.

lewdog 07-06-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 9795076)
I would imagine the american medical association is campaigning for this so insurance will eventually cover all the shit related to fat asses.

That is definitely the agenda. We are all going to get raped having to pay for this shit.

Fire Me Boy! 07-06-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 9795076)

I think they actually said they did it to give obesity a different classification so that further research could be done to prevent and treat.

Fire Me Boy! 07-06-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9795092)
That is definitely the agenda. We are all going to get raped having to pay for this shit.

Long-term, health care costs more for the healthy. They live longer and die slower, more costly deaths.

lewdog 07-06-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9795098)
Long-term, health care costs more for the healthy. They live longer and die slower, more costly deaths.

Link to study?

crossbow 07-06-2013 01:39 PM

[IMG]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/V7GnOyd_z1w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/IMG]