ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Life of Pi (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267135)

Bewbies 11-27-2012 05:35 PM

Life of Pi

Anyone see this? Is it as good as the reviews say it is?

DaveNull 11-27-2012 06:12 PM

The book is supposed to be great, but I never got around to reading it.

It's directed by Ang Lee so I took a pass.

NewChief 11-27-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 9157679)
The book is supposed to be great, but I never got around to reading it.

It's directed by Ang Lee so I took a pass.

You dislike Ang Lee?

Bewbies 11-27-2012 07:21 PM

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/mobile/m/life-of-pi/

87% of critics, 90% of users like it...

The Iron Chief 11-27-2012 07:46 PM

My wife read the book then went to see it with her friend.
They both said the movie did the book justice and gave it two thumbs up.
From what I'm gathering the movie 3d visuals are mind blowing and hard to dislike.
The story itself is great as well if you can handle a deep story.

I downloaded a torrent to watch just so I know what the buzz is.I havent gotten around to it yet.
Problem is til the rips are out there to download the cam torrents wont do the the visuals justice.

underEJ 11-27-2012 08:10 PM

I liked it. I generally like Ang Lee movies. This has some really beautiful work in it and the 3D is well used (subtle when it should be, deeper for good effect.) There were a couple of parts that pushed me out of the story with over earnestness, but very very good. I have not read the book, but got some idea of it from others after seeing the movie, and having the director visit for a Q&A at my work moderated by the director of Rise of the Guardians who used to story board for Ang Lee. Cool day.

He really talked about what I love about his movies, that he insists on leaving room for the viewer to decide just what a movie is about. Most of the questions posed to him were about how he manages to be so dead on in depicting other cultures different to his own, and his answer was that he listens to his advisors. Such a non-Hollywood-like answer.

KurtCobain 11-28-2012 12:49 PM

I read the book. Liked it alot. I want to see the movie soon, but I had others on my list first. I hope it does the book justice.

The_Doctor10 12-03-2012 10:05 PM

Go see it. It's rare you see movies this thoughtful anymore. Even by filmmakers who should know better. It's one of those movies that reminds you that Hollywood can, once in a while, get it right.

DaneMcCloud 08-27-2013 03:50 PM

I finally had a chance to see this film. Not only were the direction, cinematography and VFX excellent, the story was amazing.

IMO, this film transcends simple entertainment and is more akin to a timeless fable.

It's outstanding.

Fish 08-27-2013 03:54 PM

Criminally underrated. I really really liked this film. Beautiful, imaginative, and very thought provoking. It sucks you in and fills you with emotion. Makes me want to read the book....

DaneMcCloud 08-27-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9919509)
Criminally underrated. I really really liked this film. Beautiful, imaginative, and very thought provoking. It sucks you in and fills you with emotion. Makes me want to read the book....

My wife tried to read the book about ten years ago and couldn't get into it. After seeing the film, I can understand why. But I'm with you in that I really want to read it, even though the film is reported to be very consistent with the book.

Pablo 08-27-2013 06:03 PM

I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. It's a very engaging fairy tale. I'm usually not one to dig those sort of flicks.

Although I did love Pan's Labyrinth. This film isn't quite that good; but it's damn close.

Pants 08-27-2013 06:04 PM

So which version do you guys choose to believe?

siberian khatru 08-27-2013 06:05 PM

Loved it. Exceeded my expectations. One of the most visually brilliant films I've ever seen.

Pablo 08-27-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 9919779)
So which version do you guys choose to believe?

The ugly side and not the fairy tale.