ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football It's about time we do something about Notre Dame (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268647)

MatriculatingHank 01-08-2013 09:25 PM

It's about time we do something about Notre Dame

Agree? Disagree? This is worthy of debate:

http://www.faniq.com/blog/Notre-Dame...nce-Blog-60220

Last night, Notre Dame got absolutely obliterated by Alabama in the BCS title game. Just like I said they would. More than once.

This should have come as a surprise to exactly no one.

No matter how anyone tries to hype up Notre Dame's regular season schedule, there's not a chance in hell that they actually proved that they deserved their #1 ranking.

They stumbled into the #1 spot by default, because great SEC football teams beat other great SEC football teams.

Alabama's only loss was to fellow SEC powerhouse Texas A&M.
Georgia's only losses were to Alabama and South Carolina, both from the SEC.
Texas A&M lost a couple nail-biters to fellow SEC schools Florida and LSU.
South Carolina's only losses were also to Florida and LSU.
Before losing their bowl games, Florida and LSU had only lost to SEC teams.

All 6 of those teams could be considered among the top 10 teams in the country. And they all had to play several games against each other, because they're in an elite conference loaded with talent.

Other teams in top conferences have stretches of 6 to 8 games in a row in which they have to play top level teams.

Then, if they're fortunate enough to have a successful season, they have to play a conference championship game, which essentially amounts to one additional game against an elite team.

Notre Dame, thanks to their independent status, doesn't have to worry about that.

They can schedule their annual cakewalks against service academies and their "rivalry" with fellow Catholic school Boston College. They can use their other "rivalry" game against USC to pad their strength of schedule, and hope that no one notices that USC finished the season unranked and was one of the most overrated teams in the country.

They can play close games against mediocre teams like Purdue, Pitt, BYU, and Michigan, and still manage to default their way into the the National Championship game.

Let's ignore the fact that Georgia and Alabama were both far better teams, but had to play each other in the SEC Championship, essentially eliminating one of them.

If there was an 8-team playoff, Notre Dame would have gotten rolled by the #8 team, who would have been South Carolina, the 4th-best SEC team.

If you look at Notre Dame's recent bowl history, it's clear that they've benefited from their delusional (but large) fan base, and the fact that they haven't needed to actually win a conference to get into a BCS bowl.

Notre Dame has lost 11 of their last 13 bowl games.

They're 0-4 in BCS bowls (including last night's championship), and lost those 4 games by a combined score of 158-57.

That's right. Notre Dame has lost their 4 BCS bowl games by an average of 25 points per game.

Is there any doubt that they're being overrated and overhyped coming into bowl games?

The solution:

The NCAA should ban Notre Dame (and every other independent team, for fairness' sake) from bowl games until they join a conference.

It's absolutely insane that Notre Dame gets to play by a completely different set of rules than every other team, but still gets treated as if their undefeated record is just as impressive as another undefeated team.

Until the Irish have to go through a legitimate conference schedule and win a conference championship game, they'll continue to be placed in bowl games that they don't deserve. They'll continue to get blown out by teams that earned their bowl bid the hard way, and they'll steal BCS spots from far more deserving teams who had far more difficult roads to the postseason.

Until the NCAA forces Notre Dame's hand, fans will continue to suffer through these atrocities. It's simply not right, and fans deserve better.

Bambi 01-08-2013 09:27 PM

It's college football. I don't understand how people still don't get it.

SAUTO 01-08-2013 09:28 PM

Agree
Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater 01-08-2013 09:28 PM

Great, another SEC circlejerk thread. Dakcman and Setsuna should be along shortly to jizz all over each other.

SAUTO 01-08-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9298290)
Great, another SEC circlejerk thread. Dakcman and Setsuna should be along shortly to jizz all over each other.

that's what it will be lol
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501 01-08-2013 09:30 PM

Total horseshit.

I'm no Notre Dame fan. But they had every right to be in the National Championship game. And I don't remember this same shit being talked about when any Big 12 team or Pac 10 team made the championship game. Usually on a schedule about as challenging as Notre Dame's this season.

And it's not like we're talking about 3 undefeated teams competing for a national championship game. Notre Dame went undefeated.

Just a bunch of haters. I've bitched about the lack of a playoff game for years. If anything, that's the problem, not Notre Dame not being in a conference.

hometeam 01-08-2013 09:32 PM

Agreed. If they have playoffs I care. Until then, I watch MU and MU bowl game and thats all I really care about until the draft~

Playoffs give credibility. BCS shit is stupid.

Mr. Kotter 01-08-2013 09:35 PM

It's a good thing they decided to move to a real playoff, however inadequate it may be at this point...because if they had not, the game last night would have forced the issue. Now, let's move beyond the bullshit 4 team playoff to at least an 8, or preferably a 16 team format--and we can all stop bitchin'.

RippedmyFlesh 01-08-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Kotter (Post 9298317)
It's a good thing they decided to move to a real playoff, however inadequate it may be at this point...because if they had not, the game last night would have forced the issue. Now, let's move beyond the bullshit 4 team playoff to at least an 8, or preferably a 16 team format--and we can all stop bitchin'.

I like 8.
1 vs 16 2 vs 15 type games may look a lot like last night.
At 8 you are in the argument but at 16 can you really argue you are one of the best? It's not like hoops where the little guy wins a lot. Just an occasional fluke happens in college football where David beats Goliath.

TribalElder 01-08-2013 10:37 PM

Bukakke

Ace Gunner 01-08-2013 10:46 PM

the button that turns on your tv is the same one that turns it off.

Dartgod 01-08-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Kotter (Post 9298317)
...and we can all stop bitchin'.

Nevar!

Silock 01-08-2013 10:49 PM

Stolen from a friend:

But but but look at the murderers row Bama faced.

Arkansas 2-6 conference
Ole Miss 3-5 conference
Missouri 2-6 conference
Tennessee 1-7 conference
#11 Miss. St 4-4 conference
#5 LSU 6-2 conference
#15 Texas A&M 6-2 conference
Auburn 0-8 conference

So to play in their conference champ game, they played 2 teams with WINNING conference records. Look deeper, 12-36 conference opp record when you exclude LSU and Ass to mouth. Included Bama still played a conference opp record of 24-40. Quite the murderous row to drive through.

Psyko Tek 01-08-2013 11:24 PM

I ave up on college football in the 80's
do whatever the **** you want...
make me give a ****
was a diehard husker until they would not spend money ion the library, but put bob and tom on milke cartons to build a indoor practice facility
**** COLLEGE FOOTBALL

The Franchise 01-08-2013 11:30 PM

Notre Dame didn't make it because the SEC beat up on each other. They made it because Kansas State and Oregon lost.

Oh....and go **** yourself.