ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Garden Tips & Tricks (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=162801)

Phobia 05-09-2007 11:20 AM

Garden Tips & Tricks

This year is the first time in my adult life that I've planted a garden. We did it plenty as a kid, but of course I don't remember anything in particular that we did.

It's essentially a pico de gallo garden with tomatos, jalapeno, cilantro, garlic, and onion planted.

I've read that buying lady bugs and releasing them in your garden will keep the plants clean and disease free. Also planting garlic around the perimeter will keep critters away.

I also have some low ground behind my shop that is kinda swampy. My neighbor suggested that I plant some pumpkins and watermelon to soak up some of that water. I've taken his suggestion.

I also have started a stinky compost pile but don't really know what I'm doing with it.

Please share your tips and tricks with the Planet.

chief husker 05-09-2007 11:38 AM

You can also order Praying Mantis for the garden. Way too cool. They come in little egg cases, and then hatch in the garden. By late fall you may have a number of these large, harmless, bug eaters flying around. Word to the wise. Take egg cases straight to the garden. Mrs. Husker freaked a little when they hatched in the kitchen. Hundreds of little, but fully formed Mantis all over the walls and ceiling. Also, since you fish, you can put what is left after cleaning at the bottom of your planting. Have fun.

Phobia 05-09-2007 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chief husker
Also, since you fish, you can put what is left after cleaning at the bottom of your planting. Have fun.

Well, I don't know about that. I haven't fished seriously since the last time I had a garden. Got all my equipment stolen in High School and lost interest after that. I have some cheap equipment again but it's mostly for taking the kids out on the weekend. I haven't thrown a line in the water for 3 years.

Redrum_69 05-09-2007 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia
Well, I don't know about that. I haven't fished seriously since the last time I had a garden. Got all my equipment stolen in High School and lost interest after that. I have some cheap equipment again but it's mostly for taking the kids out on the weekend. I haven't thrown a line in the water for 3 years.

On that note...you can eat what you catch out of my pond...I think my fish will be safe that day.

El Jefe 05-09-2007 11:56 AM

On that note...you can eat what you catch out of my pond...I think my fish will be safe that day.

Man you are like the King of Punchline jokes, and mom jokes, funny stuff. You dont have to be great to fish, theres something about it that calms me down a lot and sometimes I dont catch anything but thats ok because I enjoyed the atmosphere.

Smed1065 05-09-2007 11:58 AM

Treat the garden like you do CP and it should be great with all that fertilizer!

Raiduhs

Mr. Plow 05-09-2007 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcchiefsfanGoLJ
Man you are like the King of Punchline jokes, and mom jokes, funny stuff.

Careful.....you're about to unleash the beast.

Kclee 05-09-2007 12:05 PM

Blood Meal is suppose to keep rabbits away and it pretty good for the plants as well. Also, get some Preen sprinkled into your garden to keep out the weeds. Sounds like you need some Bell Peppers in there too.

DaFace 05-09-2007 12:06 PM

Antifreeze? :shrug:

Redrum_69 05-09-2007 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcchiefsfanGoLJ

Man you are like the King of Punchline jokes, and mom jokes, funny stuff. You dont have to be great to fish, theres something about it that calms me down a lot and sometimes I dont catch anything but thats ok because I enjoyed the atmosphere.

That wasnt a slam on phobias fishing technique. I'm just stating that the fish in the pond wont bite on your every day average lure. The bass have only been caught on one lure.

My neighbor came over this past weekend. He fished for 3 hours in the morning and 3 more hours in the afternoon. He never got a bite. I seen him use a spinner/rooster tail, then a crankbait, jig/pig, texas rig worm, spinnerbait, and finally a topwater plug/popper. I went outside after I seen he was done and took a cast with the lure that I make. I caught a bass right in front of him.

I then let him take a few casts with the lure. He caught a real nice bass. Its the same lure I showed the video of at phobias bbq.

I've been working on the style and presentation of this lure for over 12 years.

Baby Lee 05-09-2007 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redrum_69
That wasnt a slam on phobias fishing technique. I'm just stating that the fish in the pond wont bite on your every day average lure. The bass have only been caught on one lure.

My neighbor came over this past weekend. He fished for 3 hours in the morning and 3 more hours in the afternoon. He never got a bite. I seen him use a spinner/rooster tail, then a crankbait, jig/pig, texas rig worm, spinnerbait, and finally a topwater plug/popper. I went outside after I seen he was done and took a cast with the lure that I make. I caught a bass right in front of him.

I then let him take a few casts with the lure. He caught a real nice bass. Its the same lure I showed the video of at phobias bbq.

I've been working on the style and presentation of this lure for over 12 years.

http://www.spacegravy.com/sgmedia/gr...onDynamite.gif

penguinz 05-09-2007 12:14 PM

Do some "lasagna" gardening. All you have to do is layer your materials in your garden. IE. Chopped up brown leaves, compost, grass, peat, leaves, compost, etc...

This is how I do all my garden areas and our veggies end up producing like mad.

ChiTown 05-09-2007 12:33 PM

I mow my grass once a week. It's true. Feel free to pass this luscious tidbit of information to your friends......

El Jefe 05-09-2007 12:46 PM

redrum_69, I am pretty confident in my skills I bet I could catch one with my arsenal. Actually I can gurantee I could catch one barring I had a couple days in case one day was just an off day, or bad weather.

El Jefe 05-09-2007 12:48 PM

You must have some crazy knowledge to make your own lures, that isnt an easy trade.