ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Do you smoke cigarettes? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261887)

Gonzo 07-29-2012 12:37 PM

Been a pack a dayer for 17 years now. Lumpy quit last week so something tells me I'll be "quitting" soon enough.

And by quitting I mean being nagged endlessly into submission.

I think she's actually going to pull it off this time. She seems pretty commited.

luv 07-29-2012 12:39 PM

There are other ways to relieve stress that aren't as expensive, smelly, or habit forming. I have nothing against smokers. I just don't see why they start other than peer pressure, which I would think we'd grow out of at some point.

Pants 07-29-2012 12:41 PM

I'd smoke anywhere between 15-20 cigarettes a day. Stopped smoking cold turkey 15 months ago and haven't had a single cigarette since then.

I haven't even had a smoke dream in a while not that I think about it. I do indulge myself by smoking a cigar from time to time (like once every two months or so) though.

P.S. The stress release thing is a myth, BTW. The only reason you feel like it helps with stress is because you associate cigarettes with it. It's nothing more than a placebo.

KC_Lee 07-29-2012 12:42 PM

Yep, used to smoke 2 packs a day for 10 years, now down to a pack a day.

Of all the drugs I have put into my body (pot, a lot of blow, various other items) cigarettes are the hardest for me to quit.

chasedude 07-29-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 8775956)
There are other ways to relieve stress that aren't as expensive, smelly, or habit forming. I have nothing against smokers. I just don't see why they start other than peer pressure, which I would think we'd grow out of at some point.

What many don't know about is how habit forming nicotine is. In studies performed nicotine is more addictive than heroin.

Sure it starts with peer pressure, then the nicotine gets you in the end.

J Diddy 07-29-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 8775961)
Yep, used to smoke 2 packs a day for 10 years, now down to a pack a day.

Of all the drugs I have put into my body (pot, a lot of blow, various other items) cigarettes are the hardest for me to quit.

Do I know that. It killed my mother when I was 17, grandpa when I was 14 and has hospitalized my uncle who's been in ICU for about 2 months, but in my mind I still rationalized it. Mother****er acts like your best friend and then tries to kills you.

topher79 07-29-2012 01:00 PM

Have to choose one....smoking addiction or obesity?

Dave Lane 07-29-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topher79 (Post 8775989)
Have to choose one....smoking addiction or obesity?

There are multiple choices. Not one or the other.

ThaVirus 07-29-2012 01:25 PM

No. Never have, never will.

Never understood why people even do it. At least with other bad habits, like hardcore drugs, you get some sort of satisfaction out of the act- an intense high for a brief period. Smoking cigs just scratches the itch, makes your breath/clothes smell, rots your teeth, and slowly kills you. ****ing stupid..

Bwana 07-29-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 8776025)

Exactly

stevieray 07-29-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 8776031)

Never understood why people even do it..

I wouldn't sweat it, considering it's really none of your business.

notorious 07-29-2012 01:40 PM

People used to tell one of my best friends,"Smoking is going to take years off your life!".

He would usually take a long, cool puff and respond with a smirk,"**** it, those are the shitty years, anyway."

I don't smoke, but that response was always supercool.

Fish 07-29-2012 01:43 PM

I quit about 3 months ago. It was rather easy this time compared to in the past. I supplemented cigs with a pipe for a while, which I still do every once in a while. But admittedly, I still bum a cig maybe once a month or so. Usually out golfing, or during a poker game.

topher79 07-29-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 8776025)

I'll try to clarify for the simpletons. If you HAD (as in forced) to choose one or the other.

stevieray 07-29-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 8776057)
People used to tell one of my best friends,"Smoking is going to take years off your life!".

He would usually take a long, cool puff and respond with a smirk,"**** it, those are the shitty years, anyway."

I don't smoke, but that response was always supercool.

Denis Leary