ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Battlefield 3 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=241301)

Otter 06-29-2011 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7721157)
I'm more worried about the reported 30 FPS on the consoles, honestly.

Speaking of consoles, do they allow for patches to games after the games been installed?

I don't own a console.

Pants 06-29-2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 7721167)
Speaking of consoles, do they allow for patches to games after the games been installed?

I don't own a console.

Yeah, they patch games but no 3rd party mods are allowed. I would totally get this for PC were it not for all my friends playing it on the 360.

dirk digler 06-29-2011 10:03 AM

Holy shit that looks ****ing awesome. Looks like I might have to upgrade my computer to be able to handle this game

loochy 06-29-2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 7721187)
Holy shit that looks ****ing awesome. Looks like I might have to upgrade my computer to be able to handle this game

Thank God I just built a brand new awesome system. I'm soo ready for this game.

Sofa King 06-29-2011 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 7721194)
Thank God I just built a brand new awesome system. I'm soo ready for this game.

What did you get?

How much did it cost you?

I'd like to get a new system sometime soon.

Kraus 06-29-2011 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7721157)
I'm more worried about the reported 30 FPS on the consoles, honestly.

I honestly think this will be how MW3 still wins. BF3 was meant to be played on the PC and the console players will get a dumbed down version of it. Meanwhile, MW3 was built for consoles and will sell like crazy. If BF3 really wants to take the throne of top modern shooter, each system should get all the features.

Pants 06-29-2011 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraus (Post 7721214)
I honestly think this will be how MW3 still wins. BF3 was meant to be played on the PC and the console players will get a dumbed down version of it. Meanwhile, MW3 was built for consoles and will sell like crazy. If BF3 really wants to take the throne of top modern shooter, each system should get all the features.

Ehhh, as long as it's fun for us, I don't really care whether they "win". BFBC2 ran on 30FPS and it kind of sucked, honestly. I was hoping BF3 would be better optimized but oh well. BFBC2 was still hella fun for a very long time, so 30 FPS isn't a deal breaker, just one negative amidst a myriad of positives.

Bambi 06-29-2011 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraus (Post 7721214)

I CONSIDER THEM TWO PRETTY DIFFERENT GAMES AT THIS POINT.

sry caps. I will buy and play both (BF3 70%, MW3 30%) something like that I'm sure.

Battlefield takes a much bigger time commitment per session where as COD is more of a jump on, jump off type of game.

I prefer Battlefield because you can still win even with players that aren't exactly "skilled" as long as you work together. When a team is clicking is so awesome to be involved in. Especially when you're giving to a bunch of highly ranked players.

COD is simply a collection of the kids with the best skills and reflexes. Not that that isn't fun sometimes but I think it's a much more individual experience.

Kraus 06-29-2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 7721272)
I CONSIDER THEM TWO PRETTY DIFFERENT GAMES AT THIS POINT.

sry caps. I will buy and play both (BF3 70%, MW3 30%) something like that I'm sure.

Battlefield takes a much bigger time commitment per session where as COD is more of a jump on, jump off type of game.

I prefer Battlefield because you can still win even with players that aren't exactly "skilled" as long as you work together. When a team is clicking is so awesome to be involved in. Especially when you're giving to a bunch of highly ranked players.

COD is simply a collection of the kids with the best skills and reflexes. Not that that isn't fun sometimes but I think it's a much more individual experience.

WHY ARE WE YELLING? ;)

I agree, and I will still most likely own both games.

loochy 06-29-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 7721201)
What did you get?

How much did it cost you?

I'd like to get a new system sometime soon.

It ended up at about $600, but I re-used some stuff from my first machine.

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3

COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Corsair Force CSSD-F120GB2-BRKT 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive

Plus I already had this stuff:

Hauppauge Colossus HD Video Capture Card

Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W Power Supply

XFX Radeon HD 5850

2x 160 GB Western Digital 7200 rpm HD in Raid 0
1 TB Samsung HD for backup
1 cheapo dvd burner

SuperChief 06-29-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 7721286)

I wish I knew how all this stuff worked - I'm looking into getting a new system myself, and was wanting to "build" my own like you have done. Any advice on how to do that?

On a different note: I've never played a BF title, and after reading this thread I think I might purchase both BF:BC2 and BF3. I'm pretty solid at MW2 - will any of these skills mean a thing when playing BF? Do they translate at all?

Pants 06-29-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 7721388)
I wish I knew how all this stuff worked - I'm looking into getting a new system myself, and was wanting to "build" my own like you have done. Any advice on how to do that?

On a different note: I've never played a BF title, and after reading this thread I think I might purchase both BF:BC2 and BF3. I'm pretty solid at MW2 - will any of these skills mean a thing when playing BF? Do they translate at all?

I pwned BFBC2 deathmatches pretty hard and my MW2 KDR was like a very pedestrian 1.25 I think. The meat of the game is in other game modes though where you get to use tanks, helicopters, cars and various other means of killing and capturing things besides just shooting people in the head.

loochy 06-29-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Eh I don't really have any quick and dirty guide that breaks it all down. You just kind of learn what is compatible with what, then you get an idea of how much you want to spend, then you go to Newegg and look at things in your price range, then you read reviews to decide which one to get.

Start with processor and compatible motherboard type, then decide what features you want on the motherboard, then decide on memory, then decide on video card, then decide on hard drives, etc etc. It just takes some time to learn about stuff.

Quote:

I've never played any of the BF: Bad Company games, but I think they have different gameplay than BF2 and BF3. BF2 (and I assume BF3) are based on teamwork and squadwork. You need a commander to give UAV support, artillery support, supply drops, vehicle drops, direct squad leaders, and direct pilots and airstrikes. Then you have individual squads of 5 that require a smart leader plus an appropriate mix of kit types. It's not a game that is a whole lot of fun if you just jump in and try to run off by yourself and shoot people. I think BC2 is more of a traditional shooter.

ModSocks 06-29-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 7721426)

I've never played any of the BF: Bad Company games, but I think they have different gameplay than BF2 and BF3. BF2 (and I assume BF3) are based on teamwork and squadwork. You need a commander to give UAV support, artillery support, supply drops, vehicle drops, direct squad leaders, and direct pilots and airstrikes. Then you have individual squads of 5 that require a smart leader plus an appropriate mix of kit types. It's not a game that is a whole lot of fun if you just jump in and try to run off by yourself and shoot people. I think BC2 is more of a traditional shooter.

So basically if you don't like talking on the mic then you're kinda ****ed?

Pants 06-29-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 7721426)
Eh I don't really have any quick and dirty guide that breaks it all down. You just kind of learn what is compatible with what, then you get an idea of how much you want to spend, then you go to Newegg and look at things in your price range, then you read reviews to decide which one to get.

Start with processor and compatible motherboard type, then decide what features you want on the motherboard, then decide on memory, then decide on video card, then decide on hard drives, etc etc. It just takes some time to learn about stuff.

Don't think we'll have commanders in BF3.