ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News RIP Steve Jobs (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=250986)

Braincase 10-07-2011 10:04 PM

It's been three days.... I guess he wasn't the messiah.

kcfan82 10-07-2011 10:10 PM

This is a pretty good article on the man.

http://reprog.wordpress.com/2010/09/...ingle-project/

What I proposed was a computer [the Macintosh] that would be easy to use, mix text and graphics, and sell for about $1,000. Steve Jobs said that it was a crazy idea, that it would never sell, and we didn’t want anything like it. He tried to shoot the project down.
So I kept out of Jobs’ way and went the then-chairman Mike Markkula and talked over every detail of my idea. Fortunately, both Markkula and then-president Mike Scott told Jobs to leave me alone.

We went off to a different building and built prototypes of the Macintosh and its software, and got it up and running [...] We were trying to keep the project away from Jobs’ meddling. For the first two years, Jobs wanted to kill the project because he didn’t understand what it was really about.

If Jobs would only take credit for what he really did for the industry, that would be more than enough But he also insists on taking credit away from everyone else for what they did, which I think is very unfortunate.

I was very much amused by the recent Newsweek article where he said, “I have a few good designs in me still”. He never had any designs. He has not designed a single product. Woz (Steve Wozniak) designed the Apple II. Ken Rothmuller and others designed Lisa. My team and I designed the Macintosh. Wendell Sanders designed the Apple III. What did Jobs design? Nothing.

Fish 10-07-2011 10:23 PM

Awful lot of bitterness here over a dead rich dude...

4th and Long 10-07-2011 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 7975586)
It's been three days.... I guess he wasn't the messiah.

Given the advent of modern technology, maybe it takes longer to boot up a messsiah than it used to.

Mojo Rising 10-07-2011 11:09 PM

I read an article where the NY protestors contemplated his death and decided that he was an OK billionaire. This was because he contributed so much to our lives.

Another was quoted as saying that his gifts have given so much to people who otherwise wouldn't have been able to have access to technology.

He SOLD his technology. It wasn't a gift or a contribution. It was a transaction. He was financially reciprocated for his innovation.

When asked to sign the Gates/Buffett Billionaire giveaway he refused because he said he could offer more to the country by building a great company that would offer jobs and make people not need giveaway's.

I applaud this. I don't applaud a bunch of free thinking IT/mostly liberal leaning artsy IT types making this guy an icon while creating the most closed system known to computers.

Remember the 1984 commercial for the Mac? Orwellian? Does the Iphone tracking your every movement seem Orwellian? How about eliminating all competition so Apple controls everything?

The thing that turned me against Apple was when they ran the commercials that said,"You are an idiot if you dont buy our product." I owned a PC when the fat PC guy was made to look like a stooge. My choice was to agree and buy an Apple, or get pissed that this guy called me an idiot.

The PC wasn't that bad for some who wanted to post on CP, send some pics and email to friends and search the rest of the web. If you had that much of a problem with it then you were the idi... nevermind.

I still have a PC. When I took my Samsung Galaxy SII out last weekend 2 Iphone fans commented how great the 4.5" screen was. The 3rd guy just bought the AT&T version and commented that he was a former iPhone owner.

I have an axe to grind because I lived in SF when all of this Iphone hype started. I worked with all of the liberal, open minded/ open systems people who ignored the Stalinistic Apple system.

chiefzilla1501 10-07-2011 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcfan82 (Post 7975594)
This is a pretty good article on the man.

http://reprog.wordpress.com/2010/09/...ingle-project/

What I proposed was a computer [the Macintosh] that would be easy to use, mix text and graphics, and sell for about $1,000. Steve Jobs said that it was a crazy idea, that it would never sell, and we didn’t want anything like it. He tried to shoot the project down.
So I kept out of Jobs’ way and went the then-chairman Mike Markkula and talked over every detail of my idea. Fortunately, both Markkula and then-president Mike Scott told Jobs to leave me alone.

We went off to a different building and built prototypes of the Macintosh and its software, and got it up and running [...] We were trying to keep the project away from Jobs’ meddling. For the first two years, Jobs wanted to kill the project because he didn’t understand what it was really about.

If Jobs would only take credit for what he really did for the industry, that would be more than enough But he also insists on taking credit away from everyone else for what they did, which I think is very unfortunate.

I was very much amused by the recent Newsweek article where he said, “I have a few good designs in me still”. He never had any designs. He has not designed a single product. Woz (Steve Wozniak) designed the Apple II. Ken Rothmuller and others designed Lisa. My team and I designed the Macintosh. Wendell Sanders designed the Apple III. What did Jobs design? Nothing.

There are lots of people who worked with Jobs that have sour grapes.

But frankly, this modern generation, will care a lot less about what he did for PCs vs. how he revolutionized the new digital world. No, he did not invent modern mobile or mp3 technology, but he was easily the one who revolutionized both industries.

GloryDayz 10-08-2011 04:45 PM

Sorry, I think he's a show boater... He made some fun toys, but they are toys.

Pioli Zombie 10-09-2011 02:43 AM

He ****ed babies.

GloryDayz 10-09-2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pioli Zombie (Post 7977978)
He ****ed babies.

If it would net a buck-22, I'm sure he would... The coffee shop king...

Johnny Vegas 10-09-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlota69 (Post 7974452)
great story. I did not know that. Learn something new everyday...

I bet you slept in class everyday LMAO

Hammock Parties 10-12-2011 09:10 PM

Dennis Ritchie > Steve Jobs

http://my.umbc.edu/news/9470

Quote:

Rob Pike reports on Google Plus that Dennis Ritchie died at his home this weekend after a long illness. Ritchie created the C programming language and was a key contributor to Unix. In 1983 he received the Turing Award with his long time colleague Ken Thompson for the development of operating systems theory and the implementation of the UNIX.

He was elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 1988 and has received many other national and international awards, including the including the IEEE Richard W. Hamming Medal, te National Medal of Technology and the Japan Prize.

Jenson71 10-13-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 7970808)
Nor do you know him to be a good person. At least I have a great deal more evidence showing him to have been a prick than you have showing him to be decent.

Ending corporate philanthropy programs can be done for justifiable reasons, if the shareholders feel their money is being shammed or unreasonably given away. Corporations have problems with funding friendly/related "charities," then getting the tax deduction. The CEO doesn't have to pay a dime. The shareholders do.

So, I don't know why the programs were ended, but it's very likely not because Jobs was or was not a mean guy who disliked charity.

Hammock Parties 10-13-2011 10:58 PM

http://gawker.com/5849543/harvard-ca...ative-medicine

Harvard Cancer Expert: Steve Jobs Probably Doomed Himself With Alternative Medicine

Jobs had a mild form of cancer that is not usually fatal, but seems to have ushered along his own death by delaying conventional treatment in favor of alternative remedies, a Harvard Medical School researcher and faculty member says. Jobs's intractability, so often his greatest asset, may have been his undoing.

"Let me cut to the chase: Mr. Jobs allegedly chose to undergo all sorts of alternative treatment options before opting for conventional medicine," Ramzi Amri wrote in an extraordinarily detailed post to Quora, an online Q&A forum popular among Silicon Valley executives. "Given the circumstances, it seems sound to assume that Mr. Jobs' choice for alternative medicine has eventually led to an unnecessarily early death."...............

............According to a 2008 Fortune article, Jobs for nine months pursued "alternative methods to treat his pancreatic cancer, hoping to avoid [an] operation through a special diet." The Buddhist vegetarian took this approach from the time he was diagnosed in October 2003 until at least the end of July 2004, when he underwent surgery at Stanford University Medical Center.

By then the cancer was so far along Jobs had to lose his pancreas and duodenum in a "Whipple procedure." The cancer also spread to all the major parts of his liver. "The only reason he'd have a transplant," wrote Amri, "would be that the tumor invaded all major parts of the liver, which takes a considerable amount of time." Amri said the Whipple procedure and liver transplant were clear signs the cancer was out of control and should have been stopped earlier.

The condition might have been nipped in the bud if Jobs had acted right away.
Jobs's cancer manifest in neuroendocrine tumors, which are typically far less lethal than the "pancreatic adenocarcinoma" that make up 95 percent of pancreatic cancer cases. Amri said neuroendocrine tumors are so "mild" that....................

Silock 10-14-2011 12:37 AM

Yes, clearly evidenced by the fact that most people die within weeks of a pancreatic cancer diagnosis, yet he lived for years.

BigMeatballDave 10-14-2011 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 7993745)
Yes, clearly evidenced by the fact that most people die within weeks of a pancreatic cancer diagnosis, yet he lived for years.

You could live 20 yrs with Pancreatic cancer. Very slow killer. There are no signs until it's too late, usually. It would appear Jobs was caught early enough.