ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Alex Smiths accuracy wowing fans (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275091)

Titty Meat 08-05-2013 04:43 PM

I agree with DJ.

Smith unfortunately was the best option for the 2013 off season. Still wouldn't have given two 2nd round picks for him.

SAUTO 08-05-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 9860269)
It's funny how the Geno Smith ball-washers jump all over any report that Eric Fisher is struggling in camp and piss and moan about what a mistake it was to draft him, but they ignore a positive report about Alex Smith or dismiss it as irrelevant.

lol. Or maybe they hadn't gotten here yet.

I've think this is a great thing. Its good to see he's still accurate and is getting his teammates excited to play with him. Hoping it Carries over into games and he gets to play in them all
Posted via Mobile Device

Halfcan 08-05-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9860248)
Teammate strokefest. Great practice everybody was great what a great day!

yep pretty much ROFL

It seems by the fan reports the D has been pushing them around up there- so maybe this is a way to pat the O on the back for a day? :hmmm:

mcaj22 08-05-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9860479)
100% legitimate criticism.

2 shoulder surgeries and a concussion history should scare anybody.

But strong arguments tend to be weakened by refusing to acknowledge legitimate counterpoints. When guys sit around and act like this dude is Matt Cassel 2.0, it's just silly. The guy does a ton of things extremely well.

I think he is an efficient starting caliber NFL QB. Like Trent Green but still not Trent Green level yet, a couple more healthy good seasons will get him there

Concerns: injury history, takes sacks.

The end. The thing about the long ball and stuff is useless arguments, the guy obviously can make NFL throws, not 50 yard Vick/Cutler like bombs but Tom Brady and Peyton Manning cant even do that. He's a smart QB with the ball, I don't know if he makes the right reads at the LOS all of the time though, what other reason would there be for him to take a sack, he is mobile so I find it hard to believe his pocket awareness is, that bad. I think theres just certain blitzes or matchups that get him on specific sides of the line.

SAUTO 08-05-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9860311)
I have never questioned Alex Smith's accuracy or ability to be an upgrade from Matt Cassel. This report doesn't surprise me in the least (right down to the awful writing from KCChiefs.com).

The test will be how Smith performs once the lights are on and the games matter. Will he make the TOUGH throws that you have to make to win games against good teams with strong defenses? Will he be more aggressive with the ball? Will he stay in the pocket more and scramble less at the first sign of trouble?

Those are the questions I want answers to, though I fear I know them already.

This. ballwasher
Posted via Mobile Device

Sassy Squatch 08-05-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 9860486)
yep pretty much ROFL

It seems by the fan reports the D has been pushing them around up there- so maybe this is a way to pat the O on the back for a day? :hmmm:

For ****s sake...

DaneMcCloud 08-05-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9860482)
Still wouldn't have given two 2nd round picks for him.

That's yet to be determined.

Kaepernick 08-05-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakemall (Post 9860452)
Partly true. Remember when he earned his job back from Hill? He was throwing it down field and everyone was talking about "wow, where'd this Alex come from?" and then it vanished again..probably coached down as they went back to up the middle 3 times and a cloud of dust.

But I don't think Alex was ever coached down. I think, there are times Alex has his back to the wall and quits thinking -- and suddenly he is a GREAT QB. But those times are fleeting. Most of the time he over-thinks, plays it safe, and the regresses back to Good Alex, the mediocre 15-20th ranked QB.

I don't think it is coaching down at all. I think it is just Alex's nature.

Maybe Andy will bring the will to attack out of Alex. If he does, Alex will be a very good QB indeed. I just wouldn't expect to see a dramatic mental change in Alex in year 9 of his career. A game or 2 sure, but not overall.

Last year, he grew a bit. He attacked well game 1 vs. the Packers. He really went after them. In the Bills game, he really attacked -- although I still maintain that the DBs were not in press coverge and played off his receivers. Alex has never had a problem launching it deep to isolated receivers -- it is when there is a DB in the proximity that he seems to balk and check down rather than challenge that DB deep. At least Flacco slightly overthrows his receivers so either they get it or nobody does. Alex doesn't even make the attempt on those -- well, at least, he didn't. We'll see going forward.

Anyway, vs. Packers & Lions, Alex attacked pretty good. Really attacked vs. Bills. Then he had a terrible game vs. Giants and what happened? Vs. Seattle, he just crawled back in his shell and played it safe, and still ended up screwing the pooch. I hate to use the "K" word, but Kaepernick has the good pitchers mentality. You give up a home run, but you come right back with heat right down the middle. You don't dwell on the home run or start walking guys.

Alex is like the pitcher that gets rattled every time he gives up a home run, so instead he paints the corners. On his good days he hits the plate. On his bad days, he walks in the winning run. But he doesn't have that mentality of attacking the batter -- just jamming fastballs down his throat down and in, make the batter accept the challenge.

That is just how I see Alex. A very good, VERY smart, mobile, competent passer who just lacks the killer instinct to get to the next level. He is a good, mid-pack QB who will win 12 games on a good team and give you some chance to navigate the playoffs. What he won't do is put the team on his back and raise the play of everyone around him.

You know what you are getting with Alex. Good luck with him! I really like the guy -- he is a solid QB and a stellar person. Jim would call him a "gold helmet" guy. Look how much class and grace he showed handled the benching.

Still, "show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser." Joe Montana wouldn't even talk to Steve Young and we all know how Joe Cool played the game.

duncan_idaho 08-05-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9860454)
I noted that in the Bray thread as well (I used it as my defacto Camp thread).

Avery was unbelievably fast out there. He really was a breed apart from anybody else on that football field.

I noted it in one of these Smith threads, but Smith throws a pretty 'run under' deep ball. A guy like Crabtree never had the gear to run under a deep throw, rather Smith would have to rocket it into a seam and let Crabtree use his body to fight off DBs. Smith just doesn't have the arm strength to do that well.

But the tape shows a QB with very good touch downfield. And if you can get a WR that can flat out pull-away from his DB (and Avery absolutely can), Smith can take advantage of that, IMO.

Time may make a fool of me here, but I really do think that his skills with this coach and this personnel group are going to allow Smith to really excel.

I would love for you to be right. I hope you are.

I'm just not willing to believe it until I see it. Too much evidence to make me doubt how good he can be, ultimately. Until then, this Charlie Brown is going to demand that Lucy put the ball on a tee and go stand on the other end of the field.

Hammock Parties 08-05-2013 04:54 PM

Completing a lot of passes in one practice isn't special.

http://kan.scout.com/2/774851.html

Quote:

Put it this way – Croyle attempted 12 passes Saturday during KC’s Family Fun Night extravaganza. Eleven of those passes hit a receiver in the hands.

the Talking Can 08-05-2013 04:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ChiefsCountry 08-05-2013 04:55 PM

Alex Smith is a just more athletic version of Steve DeBerg or Dave Kreig. Just a game manger who excels at running MartyBall. When you open it up you will get burnt. Play MartyBall and you can win with Smith, any other style and its a dangerous situation.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud 08-05-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith HATER (Post 9860505)
Completing a lot of passes in one practice isn't special.

http://kan.scout.com/2/774851.html

What the **** ever.

I can't wait until the season begins. You'll flip flop quicker than Liberace in an orgy.

Coogs 08-05-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9860229)
There you go, Coogs.

:thumb:

RealSNR 08-05-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9860481)

"Eric Fisher struggling"

CP reaction: JFC you stupid mother****ers you should have drafted Geno!!!!! How could you be so ****ing stupid!!!!

Nice strawman. Have fun beating the crap out of it.