ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Bannister Mall: the new home of the Wizards. Watch KC screw this up. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=176060)

Valiant 12-06-2007 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia
That area is a wasteland. What is soccer going to do for it? Seems pretty flipp'n stupid to me.

The only benefit will be the fields and stadium for their limited use.. Guess what most of the local kids will not be able to play there..They are going to use those fields to draw in kids/leagues from outside the state, not the kids from around the metro area...

Funny how the Star leaves that out most of the time.. Most of those businesses that go in will be vacant also within a few years..

And I am starting to wonder about the STARS angle on attacking Funk on every decision.. It is sad that the Pitch is 10x the newspaper then the Star with investigation articles...

irishjayhawk 12-06-2007 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise
IMO, they need something like this that will draw people in to spend money from other parts of the city. You can't just put in a bunch of new retail shops like some other people want to do, all the retail business got run out of the area already. I don't think the neighborhood economically can support much. Hell they closed a Walmart, when have you ever seen a walmart close?

The Wizards would be better off with an intimate, soccer-specific venue and the neighborhood would be better off without the corpse of what used to be sitting there vacant.

I thought they just relocated the Wal-Mart, which would make a lot of sense considering the state of things for years.

Eleazar 12-06-2007 10:08 AM

There are plenty of other cities where soccer teams are doing well in their own soccer-specific venues. I don't see why ours couldn't do the same. Even if you don't like the sport, don't go, but having a successful franchise operating in your city is a good thing.

And the game is entertaining to watch. You're a d-nozzle IMO if you choose not to like something because you're afraid someone is going to call you a p#ssy for it. If you don't like it, fine. I realize it's not a fast food sport where you get a score and 5 commercials every 5 minutes.

What I think is flawed in the idea of opening up some new shopping down there is that the area has gone way downhill. It's not the early 1980s anymore, there isn't any retail business there because people don't have the money to support it.

I remember going into the Best Buy that used to be there, before it closed down, and it didn't look like any best buy you'd ever seen. If I remember right you had to ask for a key to the bathroom. You could tell they had a problem with theft there and everything else.

memyselfI 12-06-2007 11:27 AM

Quote:

That area is a wasteland. What is soccer going to do for it? Seems pretty flipp'n stupid to me.

Hopefully the same thing a race track did for WYCO...

on a different scale, of course.

Phobia 12-06-2007 12:38 PM

Quote:

There are plenty of other cities where soccer teams are doing well in their own soccer-specific venues. I don't see why ours couldn't do the same. Even if you don't like the sport, don't go, but having a successful franchise operating in your city is a good thing.

And the game is entertaining to watch. You're a d-nozzle IMO if you choose not to like something because you're afraid someone is going to call you a p#ssy for it. If you don't like it, fine. I realize it's not a fast food sport where you get a score and 5 commercials every 5 minutes.

I've been to a Wizards game - took all 3 of my daughters. I was moderately entertained but not enough to spend money to watch. Thankfully the tickets were free. I somewhat understand the draw of larger sports and why they qualify for tax breaks but what is for all intents and purposes a fledgling league shouldn't be able to bend our city over backwards for a stadium. That's ridiculous. How many soccer leagues have flopped in this country? I'm totally against any plan that gives soccer a free pass to tax benefits at this juncture.

JohnnyV13 12-06-2007 12:52 PM

A 23 year tax exemption is CRAZY. That development will be dead in 23 years, leaving the city with no revenue stream from the deal.

xbarretx 12-06-2007 12:54 PM

Quote:

IMO, they need something like this that will draw people in to spend money from other parts of the city. You can't just put in a bunch of new retail shops like some other people want to do, all the retail business got run out of the area already. I don't think the neighborhood economically can support much. Hell they closed a Walmart, when have you ever seen a walmart close?

The Wizards would be better off with an intimate, soccer-specific venue and the neighborhood would be better off without the corpse of what used to be sitting there vacant.

no that was a HYPERMART, a now called superwalmart :) :o) ROFL but yes... i was shocked when i drove by on the way to the "Whales Vagina" and KC game.

Eleazar 12-06-2007 01:21 PM

Quote:

I've been to a Wizards game - took all 3 of my daughters. I was moderately entertained but not enough to spend money to watch. Thankfully the tickets were free. I somewhat understand the draw of larger sports and why they qualify for tax breaks but what is for all intents and purposes a fledgling league shouldn't be able to bend our city over backwards for a stadium. That's ridiculous. How many soccer leagues have flopped in this country? I'm totally against any plan that gives soccer a free pass to tax benefits at this juncture.

I'm not a huge fan of TIF myself, I was just saying, it's popular to beat up on soccer but it's possible to appreciate it entirely. It's not at the level that it is in Europe, but the league is WAY ahead of where it was 10 years ago.

I think with the changing demographics in this country, soccer is going to become more and more popular, maybe at the expense of things like the NBA and NHL.

Silock 12-06-2007 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ
How many people attend Wizard games?

Around 10,000 per game; more if we're doing well.

xbarretx 12-06-2007 01:27 PM

Quote:

I'm not a huge fan of TIF myself, I was just saying, it's popular to beat up on soccer but it's possible to appreciate it entirely. It's not at the level that it is in Europe, but the league is WAY ahead of where it was 10 years ago.

I think with the changing demographics in this country, soccer is going to become more and more popular, maybe at the expense of things like the NBA and NHL.

NBA - naturally, let them keep acting like hooligans (SP?) and striking. i didnt mind letting go of MLB once they did it...

as for NHL..its a pain to get it on TV....what do the fools running the NHL think? we get enjoyment by osmosis? if they play it we can learn to hate or enjoy it.

Soccer will continue to grow, no harm no foul. as with NHL though....they need to televise it a bit more so it makes fricken sense

Silock 12-06-2007 01:27 PM

Quote:

The problem with soccer in this country is that it's entirely different than the soccer they play overseas. There aren't nearly as many spectacular players and plays, the game is much, much slower and there isn't the ESPN-type of coverage.

That being said, I think the league is getting better. And if you don't like soccer, that's fine, but it's only going to become more popular as immigrants settle in here.

Eleazar 12-06-2007 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock
The problem with soccer in this country is that it's entirely different than the soccer they play overseas. There aren't nearly as many spectacular players and plays, the game is much, much slower and there isn't the ESPN-type of coverage.

The game isn't played at the same level, that's for sure. The skill of the players in MLS isn't of international caliber. But the league has to begin somewhere, and it is getting better.

I like watching the (English) premier league matches I can see on cable. And a few months ago I was in Dublin, in a bar full of people watching Liverpool/Marseille, and it was fun. I had friends there that didn't like soccer and said they were enjoying watching it.

A lot of our enjoyment of sport is enjoying it with the people around us. The hurdle is getting that ball rolling.

Calcountry 12-06-2007 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock

That being said, I think the league is getting better. And if you don't like soccer, that's fine, but it's only going to become more popular as immigrants settle in here.

So what you are saying is we are being taken over by foreigners. Count me among the non sports fan if Soccer becomes preeminent in this country. I simply cannot get excited about 60 minutes of 1-NIL football. The only thing more annoying than that, is the ref being the only fool in the stadium that actually knows when the freaking halves are over with.

memyselfI 12-06-2007 01:41 PM

Quote:

Many soccer leagues have flopped in this country and yet it's still one of the top participated sports as far as youth in the country. Johnson County has one of the highest per capita ratios of players to population in the country. As such, funding a new stadium that will also serve as a marquee for top tournaments and exhibitions is a good idea. It likely will never be as popular as the NFL in the US. Likely won't be as popular as baseball either.

The popularity level could change as the US becomes a dominant force in the sport on a worldwide level. It's taken a long time for us to become serious players on the highest levels but we are there and getting better. As a previous poster said, the problem with US soccer is that is so much slower and, simultaneously, less finesse than the worldwide soccer powerhouses. As US players improve that will change as well.

I think the key to making soccer huge in this country is to NOT rely solely on foreign imports who are on the downsides of their career to be the ambassador and face of the sport here. See the Beckham debacle. Rather, its to continue to grow and develop OUR OWN PLAYERS and win a WC or two. It will only be then that we can judge whether or not soccer will be successful as a draw in this country.

If after the US has won a couple of world titles they still can't sell the sport then it likely will not ever be sold. But until we have that accomplishment under our belt we are just guessing what it's impact might or might not be.

Iowanian 12-06-2007 01:42 PM

Given the crime rate in that area, a correctional facility would be well used.