ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football head coach landing spots: your choice (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266982)

okoye35chiefs 11-23-2012 11:44 AM

head coach landing spots: your choice

You are the most sought after head coaching talent out there right now.

These positions are available with these teams with the teamsCURRENT GM in place:

San Diego, Philly, Ny Jets, Cleveland, Chiefs, Carolina, Dallas, Cinncy and Minnesota

Where would you honestly (have to remove the chiefs colored glasses here) choose and why?

Your reason for choosing a landing spot has to be a sentence or less!

Them the rules!

(if I missed a team with a coach on the hot seat please feel free to add on)

Rausch 11-23-2012 11:45 AM

SD...

bevischief 11-23-2012 11:47 AM

Minnesota head coach is safe this year.

CoMoChief 11-23-2012 11:47 AM

There aren't many people that sing better than Michael Bolton

Fansy the Famous Bard 11-23-2012 11:47 AM

SD through and through.

Titty Meat 11-23-2012 11:47 AM

You see I have these breasts like my aunt B

MahiMike 11-23-2012 11:50 AM

The weather is great in San Diego!

wazu 11-23-2012 12:02 PM

Cleveland, Carolina, Cincy, San Diego, KC, Dallas, Philly, Minnesota, NY

xztop12 11-23-2012 12:04 PM

kc

Chief Roundup 11-23-2012 12:07 PM

Who is Clevelands GM since Holgren got the axe already?

Dylan 11-23-2012 12:19 PM

Head Coach Candidates:

Vic Fangio 49ers Defensive Coach
49ers Hybrid 3-4/4-3. They run an unpredictable defense

Joe Lombardi Saints Offensive Coach

Possibility: Joe Vitt Saints Interim Head Coach Since taking over the Saints the team is 3-1... I need to read more about him, though.

Let me think who else I can recommend ....

RealSNR 11-23-2012 12:20 PM

Cincinnati and Minnesota aren't firing their coaches, douche

RealSNR 11-23-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan (Post 9143958)
Head Coach Candidates:

Possibility: Joe Vitt - since taking over the Saints the team is 3-1... I need to read more about him, though.

Coached the Chiefs linebackers during the Vermeil years.

You know, that age of great Chiefs linebacking. That was all Joe Vitt.

bevischief 11-23-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9143961)

Minnesota for sure have no idea or care about Cincinnati.

mcaj22 11-23-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9143941)
Who is Clevelands GM since Holgren got the axe already?

im pretty sure its Joe Banner that guy who did an awful job with the Eagles all those years.

talk radio every day would bash that guy. Ive heard some of the meanest things said by their fans about him. And yet, he landed the same job with the Browns lol

The Franchise 11-23-2012 12:23 PM

First Choice.....San Diego. Second Choice....Philly.

Dylan 11-23-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9143963)
Coached the Chiefs linebackers during the Vermeil years.

You know, that age of great Chiefs linebacking. That was all Joe Vitt.

Wow...

mcaj22 11-23-2012 12:24 PM

cincy and minnesota

are you ****ing high, why would those spots be open lol

cincy just put a clownsuit on our crap team

Dylan 11-23-2012 12:27 PM

FYI:

Andy Reid has full control over the draft during the last 13 years.

Perry Fewell stinks...We wish someone would take him off our hands.

Dylan 11-23-2012 12:27 PM

FYI:

Andy Reid has full control over the draft during his tenure with the Eagles.

Perry Fewell stinks...You don't want him. We wish someone would take him off our hands.

Dylan 11-23-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan (Post 9143958)
Head Coach Candidates:

Possibility: Joe Vitt Saints Interim Head Coach Since taking over the Saints the team is 3-1... I need to read more about him, though.

The more I think about it - Saints head coach, Sean Payton chose Joe Vitt to run the Saints - and he passed on offensive coordinator, Joe Lombardi to lead his team. That says a lot.

The Bad Guy 11-23-2012 12:45 PM

The only thing I'm going to SD for is the weather. The talent on that team sucks.

Rivers is in a massive decline, no WRs, fumble prone RB, no offensive line.

Defensively, they are good, but that offense needs a massive rebuild.

The Bad Guy 11-23-2012 12:46 PM

If I'm taking anyone from the Harbaugh tree, it's Greg Roman or David Shaw.

Molitoth 11-23-2012 12:58 PM

Vikings.

Young QB, Best RB in NFL, Good defense.

Take 2 years to fill a couple of holes and that team is a winner.

I'm not sold on Ponder being elite, but I think with the right OC... the kid could do well.

Tough division though. Packers until Rodgers retires (will be awhile). Lions are not a doormat like they used to be. Bears are always better than average.

KCDC 11-23-2012 01:01 PM

While the popular choice is SD, the smart choice is KC. Why?

Any person on CP, drafting any first round QB, and picking average in the draft will have a 7-9 team next year. After a 2-14 record in 2012, the new HC will look like coach of the year. We have the talent (except at the QB position) to be a 9-7 team. Having a last place schedule and a top pick in each round, the new HC will be a near shoo in for HC of the year.

chiefzilla1501 11-23-2012 01:06 PM

Don't want to sound like a homer, but get a good gm, and kansas city is an ideal landing spot. Good solid core talent, tons of cap space, good enough flexibility to flex schemes, and ability to land a strong rookie qb.

All the other teams have problems. I'd rather build around geno than foles. I wouldn't want to work for a.j. Smith or Jerry jones let alone for a team starting to lose its identity. Jets and panthers have way too much drama. wouldn't want to work for mike brown. Minnesota won't be available.

Strangely, the team I'd worry about is Cleveland. Ascending team and an owner really committed to winning. Talent level there is pretty similar to kc.

The Franchise 11-23-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9143994)
If I'm taking anyone from the Harbaugh tree, it's Greg Roman or David Shaw.

If we're going to go after a head coach.....I'd love to get David Shaw. I don't know if he'd leave Stanford though.

The Bad Guy 11-23-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9144029)
If we're going to go after a head coach.....I'd love to get David Shaw. I don't know if he'd leave Stanford though.

I think he def. would. He's an NFL guy.

The Franchise 11-23-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9144034)
I think he def. would. He's an NFL guy.

Well ****.....I wouldn't mind him being the next HC then.

The Bad Guy 11-23-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9144026)
Don't want to sound like a homer, but get a good gm, and kansas city is an ideal landing spot. Good solid core talent, tons of cap space, good enough flexibility to flex schemes, and ability to land a strong rookie qb.

All the other teams have problems. I'd rather build around geno than foles. I wouldn't want to work for a.j. Smith or Jerry jones let alone for a team starting to lose its identity. Jets and panthers have way too much drama. wouldn't want to work for mike brown. Minnesota won't be available.

Strangely, the team I'd worry about is Cleveland. Ascending team and an owner really committed to winning. Talent level there is pretty similar to kc.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see this team having a solid core of talent. Hali, Houston, DJ, Albert, Charles, Flowers and Berry, but that talent has been massively overblown.

The Franchise 11-23-2012 01:12 PM

Plus it looks like his father was an Asst. Coach with the Chiefs at some point in time.

EDIT: His father was Asst. HC/DB coach in 2000.

The Bad Guy 11-23-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9144041)
Well ****.....I wouldn't mind him being the next HC then.

Coached with the Raiders, Ravens and Eagles. Has spent 9 years in the NFL.

okoye35chiefs 11-23-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9143961)

right, Lewis is rumored to be fired every year starting in 08 I totally forgot that!

Sorter 11-23-2012 01:13 PM

I would love the weather but my loathing for the Chargers would probably result in me intentionally sabotaging the team.

chiefzilla1501 11-23-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9144042)
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see this team having a solid core of talent. Hali, Houston, DJ, Albert, Charles, Flowers and Berry, but that talent has been massively overblown.

When I think of core talent, I'm talking foundational stuff. We have young players and most of our starters are solid starters. Remember, no team has 22 star players. We have a good running game, a solid offensive line, good pass rushers, solid lbs and secondary. If we keep bowe we have a solid wr corps. We just need to plug in better coaches, a qb who can make everyone else better, make slight adjustments to the d line preferably to move to 1-gap. Very easy changes to make in one offseason.

mcaj22 11-23-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9144062)
When I think of core talent, I'm talking foundational stuff. We have young players and most of our starters are solid starters. Remember, no team has 22 star players. We have a good running game, a solid offensive line, good pass rushers, solid lbs and secondary. If we keep bowe we have a solid wr corps. We just need to plug in better coaches, a qb who can make everyone else better, make slight adjustments to the d line preferably to move to 1-gap. Very easy changes to make in one offseason.

we have one of the worst secondaries in the NFL what drugs are you on

chiefzilla1501 11-23-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9144070)
we have one of the worst secondaries in the NFL what drugs are you on

Over dramatic much?

The Franchise 11-23-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9144078)
Over dramatic much?

Dude....right now we have Flowers, a 70% Berry, a midget nickle CB and a FS who can't/won't tackle. Our secondary isn't good.

mcaj22 11-23-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9144078)
Over dramatic much?

have you not been watching the team this season?

you called the secondary good, where or what part of the secondary besides Brandon Flowers is even close to something resembling NFL talent

mcaj22 11-23-2012 01:30 PM

you have to a delusional homer if you cant see a new coach and GM will bring a massive turnover.

new FS
new CBs (yes plural)
new D-line
new O-line
new WRs
new RBs
new TEs
etc

Sorter 11-23-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9144085)
you have to a delusional homer if you cant see a new coach and GM will bring a massive turnover.

new FS
new CBs (yes plural)
new D-line
new O-line
new WRs
new RBs
new TEs
etc

Not so sure about a massive turnover on the O-line or at RB. TE maybe, I suppose the new regime keeps Brokeaki, cuts Maneri and Boss, and brings in 2 new guys.

mcaj22 11-23-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9144092)
Not so sure about a massive turnover on the O-line or at RB. TE maybe, I suppose the new regime keeps Brokeaki, cuts Maneri and Boss, and brings in 2 new guys.

and they will absolutely cut turds like Abe Elam and bring in some real FS safety depth unlike Pioli that god damn idiot not addressing any safety depth or CB depth besides Stanford Dishrout and another crap slow secondary player from Alabama that never even saw the field this year

Otter 11-23-2012 01:37 PM

If I'm phoning it in and worried about me more than the team San Diego. If I'm hungry and still want blood, KC (lots of talent just no direction and most likely a QB to groom and build an offense around) DAL (Jerry is prolly a PITA to work for but son wants to win) CINCY (talent to work with)

Sorter 11-23-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9144095)
and they will absolutely cut turds like Abe Elam and bring in some real FS safety depth unlike Pioli that god damn idiot not addressing any safety depth or CB depth besides Stanford Dishrout and another crap slow secondary player from Alabama that never even saw the field this year

Most certainly.

chiefzilla1501 11-23-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9144083)
have you not been watching the team this season?

you called the secondary good, where or what part of the secondary besides Brandon Flowers is even close to something resembling NFL talent

I have watched the same secondary minus Carr for several seasons.

I'm not going to overreact because Romeo has this team playing like passive, unfocused idiots in a scheme designed to make these guys born losers. This secondary was fine last year when our front 7 was playing tough and with discipline and was actually getting pressure on the qb.

Tamba has been bad this year. So has dj. So has everyone but Houston. They will respond to a better scheme and coaching.

mcaj22 11-23-2012 01:39 PM

no the secondary was fine when it was

Berry
Carr
Flowers
Arenas
McGraw
Lewis

2 of those guys arent here anymore and they (Pioli) has done an awful job at replacing talent

as of right now we dont have a starting caliber #2 NFL CB. If you think Javier Arenas or Jalil Brown are a #2 CB in the NFL you are a dumb homer

chiefzilla1501 11-23-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9144085)

new FS
new CBs (yes plural)
new D-line
new O-line
new WRs
new RBs
new TEs
etc

Again. Over dramatic.

We need a new free safety but this one of the least important priorities for a football team.

Multiple CBs? Give me a break. Flowers and arenas are solid.
Our oline is fine -- they were great protecting orton in even an average scheme.
We don't need new wrs. Bowe, breaston, mccluster is a solid enough combo for a qb.
We don't need new rbs, we need a qb who is going to get defenders from stacking the box and playing 15 in.
We don't need new tight ends. Boss and moeaki are more than adequate.

This is the overreaction I'm talking about. A year ago, we said we were a qb and a nose tackle away from being serious contenders. Suddenly, we need an overhaul. No we don't. We need better coaching and a qb who improves everyone around him. Yes, we can upgrade those positions above, but we aren't going to lose super bowls because moeaki and Lewis aren't pro bowlers.

chiefzilla1501 11-23-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9144109)
no the secondary was fine when it was

Berry
Carr
Flowers
Arenas
McGraw
Lewis

2 of those guys arent here anymore and they (Pioli) has done an awful job at replacing talent

as of right now we dont have a starting caliber #2 NFL CB. If you think Javier Arenas or Jalil Brown are a #2 CB in the NFL you are a dumb homer

Losing McGraw did nothing except hurt our safety depth.

Losing Carr did not turn us from a strong secondary to one of the worst in the league.

You replace Carr in the offseason with somebody who is at least a solid starter. Not the dramatic situation you paint it to be. Replacing Kendrick Lewis would be nice, but it's not critical.

The Franchise 11-23-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9144126)

Losing Carr did not turn us from a strong secondary to one of the worst in the league.

You replace Carr in the offseason with somebody who is at least a solid starter. Not the dramatic situation you paint it to be. Replacing Kendrick Lewis would be nice, but it's not critical.

Replacing Lewis is critical. He ****ing sucks.

Rain Man 11-23-2012 02:01 PM

I'd probably go by process of elimination:

Dallas - First one out. Don't want to deal with that owner, even if he signs people.

Chiefs - Second one out. If the rumors are correct that the GM is telling coaches who to start, no way.

Cincy - Third one out. Cheap owners, and you're never going to fix that.

Philly - Fourth one out. I think the owner is pretty active, and I don't want to follow Andy Reid. Plus, that team seems to have some problem children on the roster.

San Diego - Fifth one out. GM seems to be a little bit of a control freak.

Ny Jets - I'd be fine with this team, but it's a bit of a media circus and has a problematic roster.

Carolina - Fine team to take over, but the market is a little small.

Minnesota - Ownership seems stable, good base roster to build from. Could be first, but will probably be second.

Cleveland - If you can rebuild this team, you will be a god in Cleveland. Granted, it's Cleveland, but it's a team with history and pride that really needs to restore its bite. Kind of like the Chiefs, but my impression is that I wouldn't have the GM telling me which QB to start here.

I don't pay that much attention to the dramas on other teams, so I could be missing some big red flag on a team. Honestly, I have no idea what I'm talking about for the most part.

chiefzilla1501 11-23-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9144155)
Replacing Lewis is critical. He ****ing sucks.

Quality talent at free safety is a luxury. Not a necessity. This team isn't in a critical position if they upgrade elsewhere and ignore Lewis.

And this can easily be solved with a low draft pick or cheap free agency pickup.

Sorter 11-23-2012 02:11 PM

Cleveland has quietly added some very nice pieces to their roster in Gordon, Mack, Haden, Ward, ILB who I can't remember his name, Sheard, and Taylor. There is more but Cleveland wouldn't be turrible. That division is rough though. I think KC is the most attractive option if Pioli is gone. Don't want to play Tom, Rapist, Flacco, Dalton, Ryan, Brees, Rogers 2X a year and try to rely on WCs to make the playoffs.

okoye35chiefs 11-23-2012 02:14 PM

I would almost say Carolina and build around Cam..

If there was a diff GM I would say KC...

but clearly that is agaisnt the rules as stated in the question....

chiefzilla1501 11-23-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okoye35chiefs (Post 9144202)
I would almost say Carolina and build around Cam..

If there was a diff GM I would say KC...

but clearly that is agaisnt the rules as stated in the question....

If the chiefs have ability to get geno, you get a qb with an upside I like a hell of a lot better than cam.

okoye35chiefs 11-24-2012 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9144214)
If the chiefs have ability to get geno, you get a qb with an upside I like a hell of a lot better than cam.

I agree but with Pioli in charge I cringe

chiefzilla1501 11-24-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okoye35chiefs (Post 9145565)
I agree but with Pioli in charge I cringe

Without pioli, I think kc is one of the most attractive landing spots. With him, it's the worst.

Chief Roundup 11-24-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9144126)

McGraw sucked. He got beat all the time. He was a good ST player though.

Chief Roundup 11-24-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9144194)
Cleveland has quietly added some very nice pieces to their roster in Gordon, Mack, Haden, Ward, ILB who I can't remember his name, Sheard, and Taylor. There is more but Cleveland wouldn't be turrible. That division is rough though. I think KC is the most attractive option if Pioli is gone. Don't want to play Tom, Rapist, Flacco, Dalton, Ryan, Brees, Rogers 2X a year and try to rely on WCs to make the playoffs.

Who is their GM? I know they got a new owner but don't know who they got as a GM.

Deberg_1990 11-24-2012 10:23 AM

Ill never understand how Marvin Lewis keeps his job. Hes perfectly mediocre.

chiefzilla1501 11-24-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9145735)

I don't think Marvin is terrible. It doesn't help when your owner continuously gives you players who are locker room killers. I think Marvin could do ok behind not mike brown. Don't think he's a super bowl coach, but better than what he's been allowed to work with.

Chief Roundup 11-24-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9145795)
I don't think Marvin is terrible. It doesn't help when your owner continuously gives you players who are locker room killers. I think Marvin could do ok behind not mike brown. Don't think he's a super bowl coach, but better than what he's been allowed to work with.

Marvin Lewis has always wanted a "thug" element. Marvin is the one responsible for Pac Man Jones signing and Vontaze Burfict just off the top of my head.

Chiefshrink 11-24-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9143993)
The only thing I'm going to SD for is the weather. The talent on that team sucks.

Rivers is in a massive decline, no WRs, fumble prone RB, no offensive line.

Defensively, they are good, but that offense needs a massive rebuild.

Rivers like Romo are playing shitty this year because they have a lot in common in their own respective adversities i.e. to injury ridden/horrible O-line play and young WRs still learning thus both QBs have had to significantly over compensate and take many more risks than usual.

I'll take either one of those QBs in red and gold with a good O-line any day:thumb:

Chiefshrink 11-24-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9145805)
Marvin Lewis has always wanted a "thug" element. Marvin is the one responsible for Pac Man Jones signing and Vontaze Burfict just off the top of my head.

Marvin Lewis IMO has 'peter principled' out at a DC position. He is not a HC. Just like Romeo,Wade, Spags, Haslett, etc... and the list goes on :thumb:

The Bad Guy 11-24-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9144189)
Quality talent at free safety is a luxury. Not a necessity. This team isn't in a critical position if they upgrade elsewhere and ignore Lewis.

And this can easily be solved with a low draft pick or cheap free agency pickup.

What?

It absolutely is a critical need. Quality talent? So you'd be ok with putting marginal talent back there?

Lewis doesn't really do anything well. He doesn't like to tackle, is terrible in space. His coverage skills are ok.

Hopefully the next regime that comes in puts Berry at FS and ends this bullshit.

The Bad Guy 11-24-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9145735)

I actually think he has grown as a HC.

That Bengal team is tough. Very tough. He lets the coordinators coordinate and the players now seem to enjoy him.

I don't think they should make a change now.

Chiefshrink 11-24-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9145820)
What?

It absolutely is a critical need. Quality talent? So you'd be ok with putting marginal talent back there?

Lewis doesn't really do anything well. He doesn't like to tackle, is terrible in space. His coverage skills are ok.

Hopefully the next regime that comes in puts Berry at FS and ends this bullshit.

I totally agree. You have to have good to great talent at FS because as the ol saying goes "this is a QB driven league" which means passing now rules which means now you have to have safeties that can cover and not just hit to fill the run.

chiefzilla1501 11-24-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9145820)
What?

We aren't going to have pro bowlers at every position.

In terms of building a team, if we are a good team outside of the free safety position, we will be fine. Lots of terrific teams have had average free safety talent. It is a luxury position. There's a reason why good safeties often fall outside the first round. If it was such a critical position and such a hard one to fill, they'd be top 10 picks.

chiefzilla1501 11-24-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9145805)

I dunno. I've met Marvin Lewis. He does not strike me as this type of guy. I think he enjoyed the challenge. But let's be clear about something. The reason the team signs character issues is because mike brown is arrogant and cheap, and brown believed he could build a more talentd team cheaper by pulling in a bunch of talented players who were cheap because of their locker room issues.

I don't know how good he is. But he is definitely limited under a management that is as dysfunctional as kc.

Chiefshrink 11-24-2012 11:22 AM

I know we are talking safeties here but I really believe Pioli allowing Carr to get away really screwed up the defensive psyche of this team which has effected everyone else's play(psyche) on the D to some degree this year as well:shake:

mcaj22 11-24-2012 11:24 AM

the best teams in the NFL have good safeties

49ers- Goldson and Whitner
Ravens - Ed Reed and Bernie Pollard
Patriots - Devin McCourty, Pat Chung, Steve Gregory
Texans - Manning and Quinn
Steelers - Ryan Clark, Troy Polamalu, Will Allen
Giants - Antrelle Rolle, Stevie Brown
Packers - Morgan Burnett, Charles Woodson
Bears - Major Wright, Chris Conte
Falcons - William Moore, Thomas Decoud
Bucs - Mark Barron, Ronde Barber
Seahawks - Kam Chancellor, Earl Thomas

all these teams with winning records have really good safety play on the backend or they platoon a bunch of okay players together (Patriots)

we have shit at the position, no talent, no depth, no anything. And Fat Scott is to blame, because its not like the cupboard was bare when he came, and he only made it worse. Page and Pollard were 10x better than what we put back there today.

Chiefshrink 11-24-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9145844)
I dunno. I've met Marvin Lewis. He does not strike me as this type of guy. I think he enjoyed the challenge. But let's be clear about something. The reason the team signs character issues is because mike brown is arrogant and cheap, and brown believed he could build a more talentd team cheaper by pulling in a bunch of talented players who were cheap because of their locker room issues.

I don't know how good he is. But he is definitely limited under a management that is as dysfunctional as kc.

Maybe. But the bottom line is that this combo ain't working.:thumb:

mcaj22 11-24-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9145836)
We aren't going to have pro bowlers at every position.

In terms of building a team, if we are a good team outside of the free safety position, we will be fine. Lots of terrific teams have had average free safety talent. It is a luxury position. There's a reason why good safeties often fall outside the first round. If it was such a critical position and such a hard one to fill, they'd be top 10 picks.

your logic is so flawed.

so in a pass happy NFL league where there are tons of good QBs passing at will, it is a LUXURY to have good safeties? Think about that for a minute. You think you can get by having crap at safety.

Newflash, we have had garbage at safety for the last like 10 years, and we have been awful. At some point you need ballhawking playmakers and safeties that arent afraid to hit someone and play the run. We have had NONE of that. Kendrick Lewis cant catch a cold and he cant hit the broad side of a barn if he tried.

chiefzilla1501 11-24-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9145855)
your logic is so flawed.

so in a pass happy NFL league where there are tons of good QBs passing at will, it is a LUXURY to have good safeties? Think about that for a minute. You think you can get by having crap at safety.

Newflash, we have had garbage at safety for the last like 10 years, and we have been awful. At some point you need ballhawking playmakers and safeties that arent afraid to hit someone and play the run. We have had NONE of that. Kendrick Lewis cant catch a cold and he cant hit the broad side of a barn if he tried.

News flash, most top 10 defenses don't get stunning play out of their free safety. And free safety even in a passing league continues to be one of the lowest positional value players in a draft.

The idea that we should be freaking out because Kendrick lewis is starting is stunning. I want an upgrade too. But we can get a good enough replacement in the second or third round or later. And good enough is fine. And if they don't replace Kendrick Lewis, it's not even close to as big a miss as not having good pass rushers, nose tackle play, or cornerback play. Unless you have Ed reed talent, the strong safety is still more crucial than the free.