ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Archives (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Sign that Gun 'get's the game' (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=4167)

Kurt Surber 10-04-2000 12:53 PM

Responding to a question about his reaction to Stoyo's miss to start the game, Gun lays out IMO a philosophy I have craved hearing from a KC coach [or KC fans] for some time.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR> It amazes me some time when teams start 0-2 how everyone reacts. If all the coaches had that attitude and the players you'd lose 16 (games) in a row. You can't do that. If you miss a field goal you've got to understand that's part of the game. It's going to happen. It's just like when you're opponent makes a play. You have to anticipate that. This is a grown man's league. The guys across from you are able to make plays and the guys that play with you are going to make mistakes. But, in the same respect, there is going to be a game down the road where they're going to make the play. You have to show them the faith and I think our quarterback is a tremendous example of that. I never lost sight of who he was. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that, in the past, KC teams have done a good job of playing "one game at a time." They were less apt, however, to play on play at a time. A sense that the team had no 'superstars' led to the mindset that; 1) the Chiefs can beat anybody, but 2) to do so they need to play mistake free football. The Chiefs did a good job of playing mistake-free [or at least elevating their play through discipline/sheer will] for long stretches of the regular season. But EVERY TEAM makes mistakes. The secret is to put each mistake behind you and play each play like you own the world. If the Chiefs can maintain a legacy of 'overachievement' [whatever that means. If you do it, you achieve it, by my view.] and finally tack on belief that any shortcoming [which will eventaully surface] can be overcome, I really like the looks of their future.

G_Man 10-04-2000 01:23 PM

I see your point, but IMO Pete Boyimabitch needs to retire. His performance is unacceptable, even in the short-term.

DoktorSmith 10-04-2000 01:25 PM

"Boyimabithch". HA!! That is seriously the best one I've heard yet!!!

Kurt Surber 10-04-2000 01:30 PM

I was more into the tone, than the specific support of Stoyo. I'll be happy if I never hear 'pulled in his horns' about another Chiefs player or coach. I really hope this era has passed.

This is mindset that takes a lot of strength. But with it one can not only overcome one's own bad plays, but bad calls [we've had our share] and plain bad luck. Like water off a duck's back. F&%K it, I'm better than that. And here's how I prove it. . . zing, pow. . . to the moon.

10-04-2000 01:31 PM

I agree with Clint. One miss, no big deal. Two misses, still no big deal. BUT, when it gets to the point where I AM NERVOUS when he comes out to attempt a 35-yarder, I think it is time for him to go. No longer can you count on him to hit anything up to 40 yards. Heck, I don't think you can count on him for anything past 30 yards!

**NEWS FLASH*** This is NOT a new problem with Stoyanovich. This started about the second half of last year and has NOT gotten better. He needs to go, and I'm NOT just saying this because he missed once. He misses entirely too often to be on this team. Didn't Elliot teach us anything?

In a close, close game, you have to be able to hit a 35 yard FG. I think Stoyo could probably do that about 50% of the time now. That's not good enough.

AustinChief 10-04-2000 02:30 PM

Pete's 50% FG rate is completely, totally, absolutely unacceptable, IBDHO.

It's pretty sad when you cover your eyes/avert your gaze everytime Stoyo steps on the playing field. It's even more sad when 50% of the time it is a justifiable reaction.

Somebody on the team needs to just "accidentally" break his leg during practice.<P>

G_Man 10-04-2000 02:33 PM

"IBDHO"?!

One time a prostitute yelled that at me in Wichita's "red-light district"!

Chief_Noraa 10-04-2000 03:13 PM

The good thing about this theory is that if Gun still believes in Stoyo, he will get a chance to prove us all wrong. A couple more misses and we will (crossing fingers) hopefully be one Stoyo less on the team. .........

Or Stoyo will prove us all wrong and get back on track.

I think Gunther is patient but realistic. Give it a couple more tries. It will work itself out.<P>

darkchief 10-04-2000 03:26 PM

Its funny because for years i really didn't notice how much affect a kicker would have. Nick Lowery would just get out there and hit practically anything. Since then I'm with Yosef. Cross your fingers and avert your eyes it's time for the field goal unit.

scooter

flowergirl 10-04-2000 03:27 PM

The good thing is that he's only had to attempt 4 FG's so far. Keep scoring touchdowns...

Kurt Surber 10-04-2000 03:44 PM

Just to reiterate/clarify. I like this quote because I want the whole team to buy into it. Not as a justification for Stoyo.

Stoyo-or-no, this team is better off realizing that bad turns, INTs, bad calls, dropped balls, etc., should be avoided, but not dwelt on. When they do happen, remember it happens to everyone and get back to making plays rather than hanging your head, and pulling in your horns, etc.

Bwana 10-04-2000 03:48 PM

Pundits, please remain consistant and blame the coaches for Stoyo's missed FGs.

------------------
CHIEFS

Chief_Noraa 10-04-2000 03:56 PM

JC .. I agree with the meat of what you are saying too. I also see that Gun has learned this and it is a good thing. i.e. Letting Grbac throw the ball, even after he has thrown an interception. Look at the dividends that has paid. I think we have all become so accustomed to this being a sign of a loss that we had just packed it in when something bad happens.

Newsflash: KC is one of the best, if not the best (best in the 90's!) at takeaway / giveaway's.

I would rather see 2 interceptions and 3 TD passes than no interceptions and 0 TD passes, but I have digressed.

I think you have hit the nail on the head- we have finally learned that the game is 4 quarters long, not one play long. We have always known that the season was 16 games long.

Now we have to also learn that the season can be 20 games long if played to perfection.<P>