ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Jehovah's Witnesses = OWNED (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=142945)

Hammock Parties 06-28-2006 08:51 PM

Jehovah's Witnesses = OWNED

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=912212006

Knock, knock, who's there? No Jehovah's Witnesses or double-glazing salesmen
FRANK URQUHART

DOOR-to-door salesmen and Jehovah's Witnesses have been hit with a council ban in the first initiative of its kind in Scotland to protect residents from unwelcome cold callers.

Angus Council has joined forces with Tayside Police and Neighbourhood Watch to set up six "no cold-calling zones" throughout the area, with plans for more than 100 eventually.

Doorstep cold-calling is often used as a smokescreen by criminals to prey on vulnerable households, particularly the elderly.

Pilot schemes, where signs and window stickers warned off would-be door-to-door sellers, significantly reduced general crime figures in the area, according to council research.

Placards, warning uninvited representatives that they are entering a "no cold-calling area", have been attached to neighbourhood watch signs in the six zones. Window stickers are also being used to warn potential callers they are not welcome.

However, party canvassers calling at houses during local government, Westminster and Holyrood elections, have been excluded from the scheme.

Chief Supt Bill Harkins, the divisional commander with Tayside Police, said: "Tayside Police is fully committed to and supports any initiative that will assist in the reduction of crime and the fear of crime within our area. Doorstep crime often involves the elderly or vulnerable members of our community."

Karen Kelly, the chair of neighbourhood watch in Angus, said: "The Angus executive neighbourhood watch committee all agreed that all watch areas in Angus should become 'no cold-calling areas'.

"Nobody wants bogus callers or pushy salespeople and we think this is a positive step to prevent unwanted callers."

A spokeswoman for Angus Council said research had revealed residents unanimously supported the introduction of "no cold-calling zones". She said: "The scheme is about people not approaching anyone's house without a prior arrangement. It is an advisory scheme and is not enforceable and we are just inviting people to co-operate.

"The scheme will not apply to political party canvassers during local and national government elections. The scheme is to stop doorstep selling and to deter those that are coming to give you their sales pitch."

She added: "There are plans for 118 zones to be set up across the county, covering neighbourhood watch areas. This will be the largest number of 'no cold-calling zones' in the UK. It builds on the work carried out in the county to drive out rogue doorstep sellers."

The new "no cold-calling zones" in Angus are being supported by BT, which has donated £3,000 to the campaign.

Trading Standards Institute research has found 96 per cent of people do not want salespeople calling at their door, while 25 per cent reported having a bad experience with a cold caller in the 24 months prior to the survey.

Brendan Dick, BT Scotland's national manager, said: "Congratulations to Angus for its wholehearted approach. People should not have to put up with uninvited intrusion into their homes or the mis-selling of services and we are very happy to support this initiative."

Moooo 06-28-2006 08:54 PM

Huh... I think they're used to opression by now. I think truthfully, most of them will appreciate it, cause I doubt they want to go door to door, but its what they think they have to do to become closer to god.

The funny thing is Jehovah's Witnesses are notorious for ignoring the laws of the land in order to live by God's rules... they may ignore it if they think they can get away with it.

Moooo

SPchief 06-28-2006 09:03 PM

Didn't you used to be a one?

C-Mac 06-28-2006 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moooo
Huh... I think they're used to opression by now. I think truthfully, most of them will appreciate it, cause I doubt they want to go door to door, but its what they think they have to do to become closer to god.

The funny thing is Jehovah's Witnesses are notorious for ignoring the laws of the land in order to live by God's rules... they may ignore it if they think they can get away with it.

Moooo

FWIW of the Jehovah's Witnesses I know, they are just the opposite as you say as far as law abiding, almost to an irritation. Now as far as them going door to door, they are no threat to me. I do know that they have made a lot of history at the Supreme Court and they will be quick to tell you that Jesus and his followers did the exact same thing.

Hammock Parties 06-28-2006 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPchief
Didn't you used to be a one?

More or less. I was never baptized.

C-Mac 06-28-2006 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefs
More or less. I was never baptized.

I guess there was an personal interpretation error by the writer in your posted article,the original below doesnt mention the JW's.
Sorry to bust your bubble.....

http://www.angus.gov.uk/new/Releases...006-06-20a.htm

Moooo 06-28-2006 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-Mac
I guess there was an personal interpretation error by the writer in your posted article,the original below doesnt mention the JW's.
Sorry to bust your bubble.....

http://www.angus.gov.uk/new/Releases...006-06-20a.htm

Yeah... as a matter of fact, JWs don't try to sell anything with a pricetag on it...

Moooo

Hammock Parties 06-28-2006 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moooo
Yeah... as a matter of fact, JWs don't try to sell anything with a pricetag on it...

Moooo

They used to.

C-Mac 06-28-2006 09:35 PM

Quote:

They used to.

You used too.

LiL stumppy 06-28-2006 09:42 PM

Might want to learn what your talking about Moooo.Nothing you have said is true.

Moooo 06-28-2006 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiL stumpy
Might want to learn what your talking about Moooo.Nothing you have said is true.

My sister's best friend is a Jehovah's Witness. She said all they do is come and tell you about it, give you the info, and whatever else to get you to come to church. There was no buying of anything, so in fact, they weren't selling anything.

Moooo

LiL stumppy 06-28-2006 10:30 PM

My whole family are witnesses.But your right,they arn't selling anything.Just tyring to talk.

pr_capone 06-28-2006 10:44 PM

I was one (a regular pioneer infact) for 17 years. Regardless of what they do now... they once SOLD their magazines for .50 cents. The people who went door to door (called publishers or pioneers depending on how many hours they went knocking on doors per month) are now asking "giving away" the Watchtower and the once a month published Awake magazine for "free" but on a donation basis.

By being donation based, they can get around those pesky things called taxes and keep all the loot to themselves.

Look it up sometime.... The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society (known informally as the Jehovah's Witnesses) are actually the largest publishing company in the world. They thrive on free labor (minus room and board) provided by "bethelites" which in turn cuts costs by milions of dollars.

They were also once an NGO (Non-governmental organization) member of the UN. The same organization that they claim to be the "scarlet colored wild beast" and should be no part of.

If they come to your door... please don't be rude to them. For the most part... they have simply been blinded so as to ignore the truths about the organization.

E. Rowe

Formerly of the Prarie Park Cong. in Wichita, KS.

Moooo 06-28-2006 10:50 PM

pr_capone, that was an interesting read...

But what can a person expect, in an almost purely-capitalistic society where there is total separation of church and state?

Moooo

greg63 06-28-2006 10:51 PM

Quote:

..."The scheme will not apply to political party canvassers during local and national government elections. The scheme is to stop doorstep selling and to deter those that are coming to give you their sales pitch."...

So the difference between these guys and door to door salesmen would be...?