ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What are your favorite sitcoms? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=103606)

Skip Towne 11-06-2004 10:27 AM

What are your favorite sitcoms?

I like Seinfeld, Wings and Coach.

Gaz 11-06-2004 10:48 AM

Oldies...

• Bakersfield PD
• The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd
• Sports Night
• WKRP
• Green Acres

xoxo~
Gaz
Living in the past.

BigMeatballDave 11-06-2004 10:52 AM

Seinfeld
Friends
Jeffersons
Scrubs

Rain Man 11-06-2004 12:51 PM

Favorite All Time or Favorite Current?

All-time, its:

(Note: edited list based on seeing other people's lists)

1. The Simpsons
2. Cheers
3. Seinfeld
4. News Radio
5. Barney Miller
6. Third Rock From the Sun
7. Malcolm in the Middle
8. The Drew Carey Show
9. Newhart
10. WKRP in Cincinnati

Honorable Mentions: The Bob Newhart Show, Frasier, Friends, Soap, Taxi.

Over-Head 11-06-2004 12:53 PM

-Frazer
-Mash
-WKRP
-Welcome Back Kotter
-Happy Day's
-Friends ( as long as it's concentrating on Kramer or the "soup nazi")

Tinlar 11-06-2004 12:55 PM

Recently it's been Monday night football.

If you watched any of them then you know why I call them sitcoms.

Phobia 11-06-2004 12:57 PM

I used to like King of Queens, but then the hottie got fat and the show got stupid. Yeah, I'm shallow.

KCN 11-06-2004 12:59 PM

Seinfeld over all by far.

After that, Simpsons, then a bunch of others which are enjoyable but not in the same leagues.

Miles 11-06-2004 01:19 PM

Seinfeld and Newsradio

Hammock Parties 11-06-2004 01:23 PM

I've never really watched any sitcoms on a regular basis.

I never missed an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation or Deep Space 9, though. I watched Star Trek: Voyager for awhile until it started to suck.

siberian khatru 11-06-2004 01:23 PM

I liked "Buffalo Bill," the short-lived early 1980s show starring Dabney Coleman.

CosmicPal 11-06-2004 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Over-Head
-Friends ( as long as it's concentrating on Kramer or the "soup nazi")

Uhhh, I think you meant Seinfeld. The Soup Nazi and Kramer were both on Seinfeld.

Friends had those fake people who couldn't get along with each other, so they pretended to be actual friends.

ChiefFripp 11-06-2004 01:26 PM

Um Seinfeld and The Simpsons. I haven't watched much television this millennium. What little I saw of The Practice was ok and that new show with James Spader and William Shatner seemed ok from the episode I saw.

I don't care how hot the woman of Desperate Houswives are, I will not sit through something like that.

Frazod 11-06-2004 01:27 PM

M*A*S*H (the early seasons, before it sucked)
WKRP
Night Court
Married With Children
Cheers
Frasier
That 70's Show
All in the Family

CosmicPal 11-06-2004 01:29 PM

1. Cheers
2. The Wonder Years
3. Seinfeld
4. WKRP in Cincinnati
5. That 70's Show
6. Everybody Loves Raymond
7. MASH
8. Scrubs
9. Taxi
10. The Munsters

ChiefsFanatic 11-06-2004 01:31 PM

Currently I like Scrubs. Joey is OK too. According to Jim also makes me laugh.

HolmeZz 11-06-2004 01:31 PM

King of Queens, Seinfeld, and According to Jim.

KCN 11-06-2004 01:37 PM

Two reasons why I think Seinfeld trumps all others:

-Almost every day something comes up which makes me recall a Seinfeld episode. This morning for example I found myself jittery from too much coffee, and I thought of Kramer racing down the street after he was awarded all the coffee he could drink.

-In almost every episode, especially in the last 5 seasons, every subplot ends up tying together. Every other show usually keeps them seperate. Example: Elaine, in an effort to silence her neighbor's alarm clock, shuts off the automatic feeder of her neighbor's cat, so to feed it she uses Kramer's meat slicer, for which Kramer buys a butcher's coat in which George's boss, who is getting his picture taken w/ his shirt off so George can airbrush a photo, mistakes him for the dermatologist George had arranged to do a cancer screening, who happened to be Jerry's girlfriend and ends up repelling her from the job by accusing her of being "Pimple popper MD"

ROFL

Baby Lee 11-06-2004 01:52 PM

I like the sitcom genre most of all, and can usually get a laugh out of most of them. But only one [and it's successor] is reliable for deep, asphyxiation inducing, belly laughter. Whose Line and Green Screen.

Especially when they call on someone from the audience to provide sound effects for the improved scene. I remember nearly passing out when Colin prmopted the audience member by saying something like "hey look Ryan, a rhinocerous." and the audience member let out a hearty "Mooooo!!!!"

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL.

Or the time when Ryan played Carol Channing as Dirty Harry.

ROFL ROFL

Others high on my list

The Office
Seinfeld [never missed an ep]
News Radio
The Cosby Show
Everybody Loves Raymond
Scrubs
Coupling
Friends [never missed and ep]

Miles 11-06-2004 01:58 PM

I forgot about Coupling till Baby Lee mentioned it. Its a close second to Seinfleld as my favorite. The only bad thing about it is there are not enough episodes in each season.

KCWolfman 11-06-2004 01:59 PM

Burns and Allen
Scrubs
Simpsons
Malcom in the Middle
The Red Green Show

http://www.redgreen.com/images/index/door-over.gif

Gaz 11-06-2004 02:01 PM

There's always a malcontent...

I am not a Seinfeld fan because I dislike all the main characters. Since I do not care about them, I cannot get involved in their adventures in nothing.

xoxo~
Gaz
Odd man out.

CosmicPal 11-06-2004 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz

I am not a Seinfeld fan because I dislike all the main characters. Since I do not care about them, I cannot get involved in their adventures in nothing.

xoxo~
Gaz
Odd man out.

I bet you a $150.00 I can hold out longer than you can. :D

Oops (They never actually said the "word")

Gaz 11-06-2004 02:10 PM

The exception that proved the rule...

Mrs. Gaz likes Seinfeld, so I watched it a few times [I can deny her nothing].

The scene where Kramer walks in, slams his money down and announces: “I’m out!” was hilarious.

Unfortunately, that was one of the first episodes Mrs. Gaz bullied me into watching. The show never again lived up to that level for me.

xoxo~
Gaz
Wettest blanket on the Planet.

BigMeatballDave 11-06-2004 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UserName
I never missed an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation or Deep Space 9, though. I watched Star Trek: Voyager for awhile until it started to suck.

ghey...

MarkDavis'Haircut 01-16-2022 02:47 PM

Cheers
Everyone Loves Raymond
MASH (early seasons)
The Middle
Frasier
The Golden Girls

srvy 01-16-2022 04:15 PM

My #1 all time would be a tie between Seinfeld and Beverly Hillbillies.

Frazod 01-16-2022 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carr4MVP (Post 16078726)
Cheers
Everyone Loves Raymond
MASH (early seasons)
The Middle
Frasier
The Golden Girls

You've been deep diving the archives lately. :D

Fishpicker 01-16-2022 05:06 PM

Seinfeld
Malcolm in the middle
Curb your Enthusiasm
Cheers
the Norm Show all episodes here
Get a Life
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eQKjOPSBRF4" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I could have made this list in 2004. that's sad.

Frazod 01-16-2022 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz (Post 2068059)

xoxo~
Gaz
Odd man out.

100% in agreement with Gaz. They were all a bunch of self-absorbed sociopaths.

BigRichard 01-16-2022 05:14 PM

Some of my favorites:

Scrubs
That 70s Show
Two and a Half Men(with Sheen)
Shameless

RunKC 01-16-2022 05:19 PM

I can’t explain it but I’ll always watch an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond if it’s on. It’s a truly great show that has aged so well

Baby Lee 01-16-2022 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 16079055)
I can’t explain it but I’ll always watch an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond if it’s on. It’s a truly great show that has aged so well

It's mainstream through and through, but it has some of the biggest gust-busting set pieces.

Marie's sculpture

the unpacked suitcase

When Debra realized that Marie changed the labels on the spices to ruin her braciola.

The wedding tape

The tee-ball snack switcheroo.

Pepe Silvia 01-16-2022 05:45 PM

I hardly watched it when it first aired but I absolutely love King of Queens. Kevin James and Leah Remini had great chemistry together.

Frazod 01-16-2022 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 2067979)
WKRP
Night Court
Married With Children
Cheers
Frasier
That 70's Show
All in the Family

I guess the additions to this very old list would be The Big Bang Theory (early seasons), Two and a Half Men (obviously only with Charlie Sheen), Last Man Standing and Mom. Also, I don't know why I didn't initially include Home Improvement.

Can Archer be considered a sitcom? That may be the funniest shit I've ever seen on TV, at least until it, like so many others, lost its burst.

Pepe Silvia 01-16-2022 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 2067979)
WKRP
Night Court
Married With Children
Cheers

Frasier
That 70's Show
All in the Family

These are the 3 I loved in the past.

Frazod 01-16-2022 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 16079149)
These are the 3 I loved in the past.

I think Frasier surpassed Cheers. David Hyde Pierce may be the funniest sitcom star of all time.

I was fortunate enough to see him live during the pre-Broadway run of Spamalot. Blew everybody else off the stage.

Baby Lee 01-16-2022 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16079139)
I guess the additions to this very old list would be The Big Bang Theory (early seasons), Two and a Half Men (obviously only with Charlie Sheen), Last Man Standing and Mom. Also, I don't know why I didn't initially include Home Improvement.

Can Archer be considered a sitcom? That may be the funniest shit I've ever seen on TV, at least until it, like so many others, lost its burst.

Chuck Lorre fan, I take it?

Bob [Hearts] Abishola?
B Positive?
United States of Al?
Mike and Molly?

Frazod 01-16-2022 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 16079205)
Chuck Lorre fan, I take it?

Yeah, I guess.

alpha_omega 01-16-2022 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz (Post 2067601)
Sports Night

Hadn’t thought about that one in a long time. Great show!

It was probably more of a “dramedy” though.

unlurking 01-16-2022 06:39 PM

Only sitcom I've ever intentionally rewatched is The IT Crowd, so I guess that would be my addition to the already popular shows listed.

Dayze 01-16-2022 07:08 PM

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia considered a Sit com?

it's by far my favorite show of all time.

Seinfeld, The Office are my other go to's.

Never really heard of it at the time it was out, and just randomly stumbled on it recently in the background , but I found myself getting a chuckle out of Mike and Molly. but admittedly, I've only seen maybe 5 episodes of it. McCarthy make me laugh in her other stuff, and the sister in M&M is a pretty good degenerate.

It's Always Sunny so so good for my deranged humor.

keg in kc 01-16-2022 09:32 PM

Letterkenny. IASIP.

MYTHIC QUEST if it counts as one

sd4chiefs 01-16-2022 10:52 PM

3rd Rock from the Sun.
My Name is Earl.
2 1/2 Men.

Frazod 01-16-2022 10:56 PM

Third Rock from the Sun - excellent add. Lithgow ruled in that show.

<iframe width="670" height="377" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xx18XDUUp3E" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lcarus 01-16-2022 11:27 PM

Seinfeld, The Office, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia are my 3 all time favorites.

CoMoChief 01-18-2022 09:27 AM

Seinfeld
Curb Your Enthusiasm
The Office
Arrested Development
It's Always Sunny...
Married With Children
WCW Nitro vs WWF Raw (The Monday Night Wars..I still watch old clips of this every now and then...rasslin' was great TV then with Rock, Stone Cold, DX, nWo, Goldberg, Sting etc etc.)

These were my definite go-to shows.

BigBeauford 01-18-2022 10:26 AM

It's Always Sunny.
Arrested Development.

eDave 01-18-2022 12:51 PM

I've been catching The Waltons lately and had forgotten how much I loved that show back then.

Rausch 01-19-2022 05:49 PM

Cheers is my all time favorite. Hands down.

Married With Children is probably number 2.

I'd say Scrubbs is probably no 3. I love Dr. Cox

CoMoChief 01-19-2022 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 16087433)
Cheers is my all time favorite. Hands down.

Married With Children is probably number 2.

I'd say Scrubbs is probably no 3. I love Dr. Cox

I liked Dr. Bob Kelso

Baby Lee 01-19-2022 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 16087908)
I liked Dr. Bob Kelso

Got two thumbs?

Pepe Silvia 02-14-2022 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16079166)
I think Frasier surpassed Cheers. David Hyde Pierce may be the funniest sitcom star of all time.

I was fortunate enough to see him live during the pre-Broadway run of Spamalot. Blew everybody else off the stage.

They have Frasier reruns on Hallmark channel with a couple Cheers episodes each night. Really think I’m going to try watching Frasier.

Buehler445 02-14-2022 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 16144777)
They have Frasier reruns on Hallmark channel with a couple Cheers episodes each night. Really think I’m going to try watching Frasier.

I haven't seen it since the 90s. Like NOTHING from that era seems to have aged well.

But Grammar can roll. He's had some shit performances in his time, but he can legit act when things come together, and like I said, it's been awhile, but there were some really good moments in there.

Baby Lee 02-14-2022 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 16145000)
I haven't seen it since the 90s. Like NOTHING from that era seems to have aged well.

But Grammar can roll. He's had some shit performances in his time, but he can legit act when things come together, and like I said, it's been awhile, but there were some really good moments in there.

You said it, hoss

https://affotd.files.wordpress.com/2...ng?w=533&h=278

BTW - this ep of half in the bag is more entertaining than half the films of the past year. . .

<iframe width="820" height="461" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FaSNvI7oShk" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

displacedinMN 02-14-2022 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16079166)

david hyde pierce has so many classic moments in that show. He is incredible.

the Valentines episode 1999---he doesnt say a word for the whole scene-around 7 minutes-and owns it.

Baby Lee 02-14-2022 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 16145961)

the Valentines episode 1999---he doesnt say a word for the whole scene-around 7 minutes-and owns it.

<iframe width="584" height="422" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EpImet3Xwgw" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

eDave 02-14-2022 07:31 PM

That's straight theater acting.

Chiefshrink 02-14-2022 07:33 PM

All in the Family
Newhart
Fraser
Andy Griffith(Old-Don Knotts)
Three Stooges(Curly only)

Wisconsin_Chief 02-14-2022 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 16145961)

Pierce and Grammer were both spectacular in that show. Almost too good for network TV. The entire cast played their rolls perfectly.

Once things started rolling around season 3, that show was top freaking notch in every measurable way. It's a shame it had to be overshadowed by Seinfeld and Friends, because realistically it could have been a flagship show if it had the chance.

NBC sure knows how to roll out the sitcoms.

displacedinMN 02-14-2022 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief (Post 16146087)
Pierce and Grammer were both spectacular in that show. Almost too good for network TV. The entire cast played their rolls perfectly.

Once things started rolling around season 3, that show was top freaking notch in every measurable way. It's a shame it had to be overshadowed by Seinfeld and Friends, because realistically it could have been a flagship show if it had the chance.

NBC sure KNEW how to roll out the sitcoms.

FYP

It was well know that show was written as a play, not a sitcom. The lighting, the feel-it was different and great.

Grammer/Pierce/Mahoney (dad) all had extensive theater experience

displacedinMN 02-14-2022 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 16145977)
<iframe width="584" height="422" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EpImet3Xwgw" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The reason I remember that so much was that was the night my first kid was born. We were in the hospital, wife was puking and I was watching that. She is still mad to this day about that.

That was 23 years ago last week.

IMDB on Frasier--https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106004/trivia/?ref_=tt_trv_trv

Baby Lee 02-14-2022 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 16146100)
The reason I remember that so much was that was the night my first kid was born. We were in the hospital, wife was puking and I was watching that. She is still mad to this day about that.

That was 23 years ago last week.

IMDB on Frasier--https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106004/trivia/?ref_=tt_trv_trv

Even better

- I think I've had this conversation here before, but if you like this genre of stage play turning into comedic farce, you owe it to yourself to track down 'Noises Off' - won't say more except it's a ton of fun.

<iframe width="584" height="487" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3uJftz7k26c" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LiveSteam 02-14-2022 09:54 PM

Anyone mentioned WKRP?

Their so many to choose from, it's hard to place a 1 on just one.

Pepe Silvia 02-15-2022 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 16079134)
I hardly watched it when it first aired but I absolutely love King of Queens. Kevin James and Leah Remini had great chemistry together.

Currently watching more KOQ. They have reruns every night and it is a joy. Whoever did the writing for this show was a genius.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ggixsehx8Ng" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheater5 02-15-2022 09:46 AM

The first few seasons, Leah Remini was pretty hot. I think Kevin James was one of the main writers for KoQ, and is a pretty funny guy who has that loveable everyman dope-act down pat. Too bad that I hear he's kind of an @$$hole in real life.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D4jq6_GU...jpg&name=large

scho63 02-15-2022 01:07 PM

3rd Rock from the Sun pretty underrated. Watching that a lot lately.

King of Queens just hysterical.

Fraiser reruns as well

scho63 02-15-2022 01:10 PM

It's Always Sunny is easily one of the most original, darkest comedies ever.

Just ****ing crazy fun to watch.

scho63 02-15-2022 01:11 PM

Although not classics, I really like both The Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon.

Dayze 02-15-2022 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 16147245)
It's Always Sunny is easily one of the most original, darkest comedies ever.

Just ****ing crazy fun to watch.

it's the Thunder Gun of all other sitcoms.

Pepe Silvia 02-15-2022 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 16147838)
it's the Thunder Gun of all other sitcoms.

SEIZE THE GOD**** GAP.

DJJasonp 02-15-2022 08:15 PM

married with children and Just Shoot Me are probably my two all-time faves

Two Girls, a Guy, and a Pizza place was underrated (early ryan reynolds)

I would throw in "Police Squad" (Leslie Nielsen), but that's probably not considered a sitcom.

Dayze 02-15-2022 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 16147849)
SEIZE THE GOD**** GAP.

Ever been in a storm, Wally?

Baby Lee 02-15-2022 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJJasonp (Post 16147863)
married with children and Just Shoot Me are probably my two all-time faves

Two Girls, a Guy, and a Pizza place was underrated (early ryan reynolds Traylor Howard)

I would throw in "Police Squad" (Leslie Nielsen), but that's probably not considered a sitcom.

FYP

Nickhead 02-16-2022 01:09 AM

a couple of under the radar ones i have been thinking of:

ned and stacey

herman's head

always made me laugh :thumb:

eDave 02-16-2022 02:28 AM

I was a pretty big fan of Wings. Newhart was great too. And I always loved a stutterer using it to his advantage. Newsradio sucked when it ended.

DJJasonp 02-16-2022 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 16147948)
FYP

yeah, she was great. But Ryan was pretty good on that show too. All characters actually.

Pepe Silvia 02-17-2022 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 16148167)
I was a pretty big fan of Wings. Newhart was great too. And I always loved a stutterer using it to his advantage. Newsradio sucked when it ended.

Amy Yasbek and Crystal Bernard. :p

MarkDavis'Haircut 02-21-2022 12:18 PM

Home Improvement was formulaic as hell but they made it work.

Pepe Silvia 02-21-2022 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carr4MVP (Post 16155918)
Home Improvement was formulaic as hell but they made it work.

I didn’t watch it regularly but I used to watch it quite a bit and what I saw was pretty funny. I always liked Tim Allen, you ever seen Joe Somebody?