ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Documentary Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=197358)

Duck Dog 11-25-2008 09:23 AM

The Documentary Thread

PBS's Frontline is the pinnacle of fascinating documentaries. Some of my favorites in no particular order.

Frontline: Spying on the Home Front. This documentary examines the lines that are crossed when trying to eavesdrop on terror cells and how the government scrutinizes people's records and the electronic surveillance of their communications.

Frontline: When Kids get Life. Chronicles 5 teens in Colorado who have committed murder and are serving life without possibility of parole.

Frontline: The Al Qaeda Files. It's a 2 disc set that chronicles the terror group and documents the rise of Osama Bin Laden. The most fascinating part about this documentary is FBI agent John O'Neill's story. He really was the man who knew.

Frontline: The Man who knew. FBI agent John O'neills complete story.

Frontline: The Tank Man. This documentary investigates the happenings at the Tienanmen Square protests in Beijing and the lone man who stood in front of a column of tanks.

If Frontline is the pinnacle of fascinating documentaries then it's only fair to call Ken Burns documentaries the pinnacle of historymentaries.

Ken Burns: Civil War.

Ken Burns: Lewis and Clark.

Ken Burns: Mark Twain.

Some other documentaries I would suggest include;

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room

Paradise Lost 2: Revelations

Meerkat Manor (the whole family will love this one.)

Breaking Vegas.

Demonpenz 11-25-2008 10:04 AM

bowling for colimbine opened my eyes for sure

ZepSinger 11-25-2008 10:10 AM

Supersize Me

OnTheWarpath15 11-25-2008 10:13 AM

My three favorites are:

Ken Burns - The War

Why We Fight

The Fog of War

phisherman 11-25-2008 10:16 AM

for all you film buffs out there, i recommend:

The Z Channel: A Magnificent Obsession

Delano 11-25-2008 10:18 AM

I'm excited for Ken Burns' The National Parks series in 2009.

Duck Dog 11-25-2008 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 5247818)
My three favorites are:

Ken Burns - The War

Why We Fight

The Fog of War

I should have added the War. A great piece of WWII work. Also Shooting War. Hanks and Speilberg team up too examine WWII Combat Photographers.

NewChief 11-25-2008 10:41 AM

Crumb: about the weirdo R. Crumb.
Grizzly Man: about the weirdo who got eaten by grizzlies in Alaska.
Dig: about the weirdo behind Brian Jonestown Massacre
Furious Freaks: about the weirdos that make up the Flaming Lips
The Dancing Outlaw: about the weirdo Jessico White, a schizophrenic mountain clogger.
The Devil and Daniel Johnston: about the weirdo Daniel Johnston.

Yes, I like movies about weirdos.

NewChief 11-25-2008 10:43 AM

A few more:
Riding Giants: about Laird Hamilton and big wave surfing
The Eyes of Tammy Faye: surprisingly sympathetic look at Tammy Faye Bakker.
Devil's Playground: about bad Amish kids.

kc rush 11-25-2008 10:45 AM

Frontline ran a documentary called Country Boys a couple of years back that was fascinating and sad at the same time. It followed these two teens in Appalachian Kentucky and their struggles with school and family in an unbelievably dirt poor part of the country.

NewChief 11-25-2008 10:47 AM

Few more:
Genghis Blues: about Paul Penga and Tuvan throat singing
I am Trying to Break Your Heart: about Wilco making the YHF album.
Dog Town and the Z Boys: the documentary, not the movie.
Born to Brothels: about child prostitution in India and a lady who tries to make a difference.

Ultra Peanut 11-25-2008 10:49 AM

I really liked Scratch.

Oh hey, it's on Youtube.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mJzOt9OxF6k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mJzOt9OxF6k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Duck Dog 11-25-2008 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 5247913)
Grizzly Man: about the weirdo who got eaten by grizzlies in Alaska.

I want to see this one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 5247917)
A few more:

Devil's Playground: about bad Amish kids.

My wife liked this one.

Duck Dog 11-25-2008 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 5247930)
Born to Brothels: about child prostitution in India and a lady who tries to make a difference.

My wife ordered this one on Netflix. I was skeptical about it, but ended up enjoying it somewhat. She was also the one who ordered Meerkat Manor. I really thought that would be dumb, but I was hooked after the first few minutes of watching.

TrickyNicky 11-25-2008 12:18 PM

The last few I saw were:

The Bridge
Over the span of a year, director Eric Steel's cameras capture tormented souls attempting to commit suicide by leaping from San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge. Through poignant interviews with family, friends and eyewitnesses, the film reveals a common thread of depression, despair and chronic mental illness. This provocative documentary further reinforces the landmark's iconic legacy as the world's most popular suicide destination.

Cocaine Cowboys
This penetrating and sometimes harrowing documentary from director Billy Corben pulls out all the stops to explore the many dimensions of Miami's cocaine-trafficking boom of the 1980s, from how the drug was moved and the financial impact on the city to the havoc and violence that followed in its wake. Told by the smugglers, cops and average citizens who were there, this film is an unflinching study of Miami's most notorious and lethal vice.

American Drug War: The Last White Hope
With commentary from soldiers on both sides of the conflict, filmmaker Kevin Booth's incisive documentary wades into the murky waters of the American war on drugs, the longest and costliest war in U.S. history. Taking viewers from prisons and inner-city streets to the halls of Congress and his own kitchen, Booth attempts to sort out the intricacies of the national drug policy -- and the reasons for its unmitigated failure.

They are all very interesting, and American Drug War is definitely the most eye-opening.