ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Isaac Bruce on Derrick Thomas (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=151413)

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-05-2006 02:42 PM

Isaac Bruce on Derrick Thomas

Why I hate Isaac Bruce. From a Rick Reilly colum in January of 2000 (I posted this in the game thread, but it deserves its own thread)

TWO MEN. Two flips of fate.

"Do you ever think about Thomas and say, 'That could be me'?" I ask Bruce.

"Oh, no, not at all," Bruce says.

"Why not?" I ask.

"Because as I was flipping, I threw my hands off the wheel and called Jesus' name."

"Does that mean God doesn't love Derrick Thomas?" I ask.

"Oh, no," Bruce says. "I don't know what Derrick said as his car was flipping."

"What about Payne Stewart? He was a Christian man. Does that mean God didn't love Payne Stewart?"

"I have no idea what Payne Stewart said in that plane that day."

"Well, are you saying if Payne Stewart had invoked the name of Jesus Christ, he'd be alive today?"

"Oh, definitely."

"What about the Columbine High student who was asked by one of the killers if she believed in God? She said yes, and he blew her away. How can that be?"

"You don't know what she said, do you?"

"There were witnesses."

"But you weren't there, right?"

TWO MEN. Pray for them both.

JBucc 11-05-2006 02:43 PM

:shrug:

Ultra Peanut 11-05-2006 02:45 PM

http://content.imagesocket.com/images/molehill368.jpg = http://content.imagesocket.com/images/mountain961.jpg

Easy 6 11-05-2006 02:48 PM

I'll NEVER look at him the same again, what a BIGGOT :shake:

Ultra Peanut 11-05-2006 02:52 PM

One guy had a traumatic experience, said magical words that have been hammered into him his entire life, and extrapolated that to believe they applied to every similar situation. Nothing more, nothing less. He was defending his irrational but well-intentioned beliefs, not implying that anyone who's ever died is a terrible person.

Rick Reilly is a talentless scumbag, professionally and personally.

By the way, funny thing about his "there were witnesses" line about Columbine: That never happened. The girl who was asked if she believed in God wasn't shot.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-05-2006 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultra Peanut

By the way, funny thing about his "there were witnesses" line about Columbine: That never happened. The girl who was asked if she believed in God wasn't shot.

Are you sure about that one?? I thought the eye witnesses were the one relaying that message. :shrug:

Ultra Peanut 11-05-2006 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins
Are you sure about that one?? I thought the eye witnesses were the one relaying that message. :shrug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The official investigation into the shootings concluded that Cassie did not have the exchange.[1] Witness Craig Scott, brother of Rachel Scott, a girl who was also killed in the massacre, had originally reported that he heard Cassie's voice. When investigators took him back to the scene he indicated that the voice had not come from the area where Bernall had been located. Emily Wyant, who had been sitting with Bernall in the library as the shootings began, confirmed that the exchange did not take place. The official investigation attributed the statement to survivor Valeen Schnurr.[2] Wyant says that she and Bernall were studying together when the gunmen broke in. She says that Cassie prayed, "Dear God. Dear God. Why is this happening? I just want to go home." Suddenly, according to Wyant, Eric Harris slammed his hand onto the table and yelled "Peekaboo!" before fatally shooting Cassie.

Reports alleging that Cassie said "yes" persist.[3]

Thig Lyfe 11-05-2006 03:07 PM

I remember reading that column when it first was published. Certainly doesn't make Bruce look good.

PastorMikH 11-05-2006 03:09 PM

Bruce is an idiot for talking like this. I see people all the time facing death. Bottom line, when your time is up, your time is up. It really doesn't matter what you believe or what you say. When the Creator says that's it, that's it.

Ultra Peanut 11-05-2006 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadWolf
I remember reading that column when it first was published. Certainly doesn't make Bruce look good.

Reilly is a sanctimonious twat who "didn't know" about a party at his house in which a 14-year-old was raped.

DenverChief 11-05-2006 03:17 PM

Quote:

Wikipedia

Wikipedia?!?! are you insane?

DenverChief 11-05-2006 03:27 PM

BTW Bruce is a fuckin dousch bag

Thig Lyfe 11-05-2006 03:32 PM

Quote:

Reilly is a sanctimonious twat who "didn't know" about a party at his house in which a 14-year-old was raped.

Wasn't disagreeing with you.

mcan 11-05-2006 04:10 PM

I'm not defending superstition, but I think any interviewer that tries to get an athlete into a theological catch 22 is an a$$hole.

Bruce is probably a really great guy. I kinda think that superstition and religion makes idiots out of good men, but that's no reason to demonize them, or try to make them look bad so that your story will sell.

L.A. Chieffan 11-05-2006 04:14 PM

Quote:

Wait, Mark Chmura was at Rick Reilly's house?