ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Elementary on CBS (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273035)

AussieChiefsFan 05-14-2013 12:35 AM

Elementary on CBS

Now that Vegas has ended for good, my focus has pretty much shifted to Elementary. Great show IMO, that just keeps getting better with each episode. Season 1 is nearly over, but the show is almost certainly coming back for round 2.

I'll keep the thread updated with new episode dates, when they're announced.

kcxiv 05-14-2013 02:48 AM

i watch it sometimes after Persons of Interest. ITs not bad, Its not an every week thing for me, but i have seen quite a few episodes.

DeepPurple 05-14-2013 02:26 PM

I don't watch the major networks except for sports and sometimes the local news and weather. I saw a commercial for Elementary last year, probably during an NFL game. I started watching it and I'm hooked. I've seen every episode, I think they've had 22 so far. This Thursday will be the season finally, a two hour version, should be good.

Not to hijack the thread, but I also started watching the reruns of Castle on the TNT Cable Network. Now I'm hooked on that show as well, I watch the reruns and the new episode on Monday nights on ABC. It's a little lighter version of Elementary, but does have good writing.

keg in kc 05-14-2013 02:32 PM

Maybe my favorite new show of the season. I was initially skeptical of the entire concept, being a big fan of BBC's Sherlock, but I was hooked basically from the pilot onward.

JD10367 05-14-2013 03:31 PM

I like it but I know fans of Cumberbatch's BBC Sherlock can't seem to stand it. Not sure why. This interpretation seems to modernize the kind of portrayal Downey Jr had in his film, with less sociopath and more OCD. Plus, Lucy Liu is still good to look at.

mnchiefsguy 05-14-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 9682162)
I like it but I know fans of Cumberbatch's BBC Sherlock can't seem to stand it. Not sure why. This interpretation seems to modernize the kind of portrayal Downey Jr had in his film, with less sociopath and more OCD. Plus, Lucy Liu is still good to look at.

Count me in that bunch. I watched the first couple of episodes, and could just not get into it. Sherlock is 100 times better.

Baby Lee 05-14-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 9682162)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 9682192)
Count me in that bunch. I watched the first couple of episodes, and could just not get into it. Sherlock is 100 times better.

I like both, evenly enough that the slight lead one or the other enjoys depends on which episode springs to mind.

BBC version plays Sherlock as more of a debonair James Bond gigolo type, and his 'addiction' results in little more than a shit-ton of nicotine patches up his arm. It also more expressly hews to the source material.

OTOH, as good as Cumberbatch is as Sherlock, I'd tune into Elementary even if it was just Johnny Miller reading the phone book. And not for nothing, but Lucy Liu is easier on the eyes than BBC's hobbit Watson [though he puts in a good performance as well].

mnchiefsguy 05-14-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 9682230)
I like both, evenly enough that the slight lead one or the other enjoys depends on which episode springs to mind.

BBC version plays Sherlock as more of a debonair James Bond gigolo type, and his 'addiction' results in little more than a shit-ton of nicotine patches up his arm. It also more expressly hews to the source material.

OTOH, as good as Cumberbatch is as Sherlock, I'd tune into Elementary even if it was just Johnny Miller reading the phone book. And not for nothing, but Lucy Liu is easier on the eyes than BBC's hobbit Watson [though he puts in a good performance as well].

Watson is not necessarily supposed to be easy on the eyes. The chemistry in the Cumby/Freeman partnership is much better than the Elementary pair, in my opinion.

I am a big Sherlock Holmes fan in general, so I am sure at some point I will give Elementry a second chance. It just did not impress me out of the gate, and I lacked the time to devote to what appeared to be an inferior Sherlock knockoff.

keg in kc 05-14-2013 05:07 PM

Elementary, while never bad, got progressively better, especially after they introduced Vinnie Jones' character and the show's Moriarty. It's definitely found its footing by the end of the season.

Bump 05-14-2013 05:29 PM

what's it about?

AussieChiefsFan 05-14-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9682001)
Maybe my favorite new show of the season. I was initially skeptical of the entire concept, being a big fan of BBC's Sherlock, but I was hooked basically from the pilot onward.

Pretty much this. I was skeptical of the concept. But it just works somehow.

blaise 05-15-2013 06:08 AM

I like it. It's gotten better I think since they got rid of the Watson as Sober Companion thing. I felt like that got in the way when she'd have to ask him how he's feeling, checking up on him etc. I prefer her as his assistant. Sometimes she says really dumb things though.
But yeah, I've seen all the episodes I think, and there's a lot of good ones.

keg in kc 05-17-2013 04:04 PM

The finale felt really off to me for some reason, but the last 10 minutes were great.

Baby Lee 05-17-2013 09:45 PM

GoT fans know who Irene is, IRL, right?

InChiefsHeaven 05-17-2013 09:50 PM

I think it's the smartest show on TV right now, and I'm hooked. BUT...I was unable to watch the season finale. unavoidable and I don't have a DVR. Is there any place to watch it?