ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Master's degrees (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=284129)

Discuss Thrower 06-04-2014 12:45 PM

Master's degrees

Who has one (or many)?

Are you currently or recently worked in the field that pertained to your field of study?

Was it worth the time and money?

Does having a post-grad degree prevent you from working on other fields?

Stewie 06-04-2014 01:25 PM

The top people where I work have MS or PhD degrees. They had BS degrees and the company saw their talent and paid for continuing education. The PhD people were given a pass upon hiring and have worked out. I can't think of anyone that came in with an MBA-ish degree that are worth a darn. They are weeded out quickly. I think you can get an MBA from a million places...

ChiTown 06-04-2014 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 10670047)
Who has one (or many)?

Are you currently or recently worked in the field that pertained to your field of study?

Was it worth the time and money?

Does having a post-grad degree prevent you from working on other fields?

MBA from Northwestern - Kellogg School of Management

Garcia Bronco 06-04-2014 01:29 PM

MBA people are the worst. They think their degree trumps common sense.

Buehler445 06-04-2014 01:30 PM

MBA

own my business.

Yes.

Not sure it's applicable.

ChiTown 06-04-2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 10670183)

:LOL:

You are so ****ing stupid:p

Eleazar 06-04-2014 01:32 PM

I have an MBA. I learned more in the MBA program than I did while doing my entire undergrad. It's definitely helped me immensely at work.

In terms of whether it will benefit you financially in the immediate sense, which a lot of people seem to want to know about, no. But I am sure it will help me in the long run.

Discuss Thrower 06-04-2014 01:33 PM

FWIW, I was looking into sports administration such that I could into the NFL and be the next King Carl.

I have since seen the error in my ways as I haven't played a down of football since "Hey Ya" was a top song on the Billboard chart and my dad isn't a scout for the Rooney family.

Buehler445 06-04-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 10670183)

I own my own small business. If I were devoid of common sense. It would be bad.

gblowfish 06-04-2014 01:39 PM

I did parts of three years working on a Masters in Journalism at Mizzou, but flamed out. Had to go to work full time because I ran out of money.

mr. tegu 06-04-2014 01:40 PM

Yes, my master's degree prevents me from working in the fields. Though an outdoor job does sound great at times.

ChiTown 06-04-2014 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 10670047)
Who has one (or many)?

Are you currently or recently worked in the field that pertained to your field of study? Yes and No. My emphasis was International Business, but I don't do as much of that anymore. I own or have partnerships in a number of business entities - all domestic

Was it worth the time and money? Absolutely

Does having a post-grad degree prevent you from working on other fields?Not at all, it just emphasizes your work ethic and desire to work hard toward your goals.

Bottom Line: It's up to you what you do with it once you are out. The hard part is after you get your Masters.......

Sorry - I meant to answer all of this.

Discuss Thrower 06-04-2014 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 10670206)
I did parts of three years working on a Masters in Journalism at Mizzou, but flamed out. Had to go to work full time because I ran out of money.

Yikes. I bailed out on second bachelors in journalism with only a semester left.

mr. tegu 06-04-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 10670209)
Sorry - I meant to answer all of this.

You don't conduct a lot of international business in the flatlands of Kansas?

gblowfish 06-04-2014 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 10670211)
Yikes. I bailed out on second bachelors in journalism with only a semester left.

Yeah, well my 80 year old mother keeps bugging me about "going back and finishing your masters."

Yeah, right.
That was 30 years ago, mom. Let it go.