ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Are you a Landowner? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=251247)

Deberg_1990 10-13-2011 10:59 AM

Are you a Landowner?

If you are, I guarantee you dont own as much land as this guy. 2.2 million acres.

If you own any land, how much do you own?

http://www.landreport.com/americas-1...st-landowners/

John Malone, the 70-year-old chairman of Liberty Media, is famously reticent when it comes to discussing his business life. There is, however, one subject that makes the Denver businessman open up: his personal land holdings.

Recently, he’s had a lot more to talk about. In 2011, Malone became the largest private landowner in the U.S., wresting the top spot on The Land Report 100 from his friend and longtime business partner, Ted Turner. His decades-long rise to the top dates back to the 1990s, when Malone began acquiring land in Colorado, New Mexico, and Wyoming. His land grab kicked into overdrive in the summer of 2010 when he purchased New Mexico’s historic 290,100-acre Bell Ranch. In early 2011, he snapped up an additional 1 million acres of timberland in Maine and New Hampshire to become America’s leading land baron. Malone says his lust for land harkens back to his Irish genes: “A certain land hunger comes from being denied property ownership for so many generations.”

Why buy now? Malone says he was enticed by two trends: a drop in land prices and a decrease in the cost of borrowing. And though he says he operates his landholdings to break even, he also recognizes that real estate “is a pretty decent hedge on the devaluation of currency.”

Malone is an ardent conservationist, an ethic he shares with Turner. While the duo’s ends are the same, their means differ somewhat. “I tend to be more willing to admit that human beings aren’t going away,” Malone says. His 2011 Maine and New Hampshire purchase, which was brokered by LandVest’s Timberland Division, saw him acquire robust sustainable forestry operations from private equity firm GMO Renewable Resources. He intends to keep them in place. He applies this philosophy to his western properties, such as the Bell, where he raises cattle and horses. Ultimately, he plans to put all of his land in perpetual conservation easements.

So how does Malone’s good friend feel about being knocked off the top spot on The Land Report 100? CNN’s founder couldn’t be happier. “I consider John a good friend and have great respect for him,” Turner says.

Malone notes that it was Turner who “first gave me this land-buying disease” on a helicopter ride the two shared on a Turner ranch. Malone is not done yet either. He says he is looking at a large parcel in the Northeast and Canada that would “double us in the forestry side.” He’s adding cropland so that “we can go a little more vertical in cattle and produce more of our own feed and control costs better,” he says.

But in the end, there’s more involved than economics and conservation. “There’s the emotional and intellectual aspect of walking the land and getting that sense of awe,” says Malone. “I own it, sort of, for my lifetime.” — Monte

Rausch 10-13-2011 11:02 AM

Don't know who he is but I can't imagine anything will feel better than than buying more property...

Rain Man 10-13-2011 11:04 AM

Man, I'll bet he spends all of his free time mowing. No, thanks.

L.A. Chieffan 10-13-2011 11:05 AM

i pay property tax, does that count?

Mr_Tomahawk 10-13-2011 11:05 AM

I'd rather be land-rich than cash-poor...

kccrow 10-13-2011 11:09 AM

I don't think anyone that can invest that kind of money in land has a problem with outsourcing the mowing. :D

2.2 million acres? If the average rate of acquisition is $1,500 per acre... wuh.... 3.3 billion dollars.

suds79 10-13-2011 11:10 AM

I own a whopping .13 acres. Suck on that Malone. :p

My wife and I are house shopping and I used to (maybe still do a little) think it would be cool to live out on an acreage. But then when I factored in the time to drive out in BFE, be close to a store or down-town or have neighbors for my little girl to play with, it started to lose some its luster.

Just give me enough land for me to do some fun landscaping (I'm into water gardening) on and I'm good.

Cheater5 10-13-2011 11:23 AM

21 acres in wild, wonderful Round O, South Carolina...about 40 minutes outside Charleston.

Rain Man 10-13-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 7991681)
I don't think anyone that can invest that kind of money in land has a problem with outsourcing the mowing. :D

2.2 million acres? If the average rate of acquisition is $1,500 per acre... wuh.... 3.3 billion dollars.

If he's smart with his money he'd buy a bigger mower instead of hiring it out.

So 2.2 million acres = 3,437.5 square miles

Based on the U.S. Bureau of the Census, the land area of the two smallest U.S. states are:

The state of Rhode Island = 1,045 square miles
The state of Delaware = 1,954 square miles

So this dude privately owns more land than Rhode Island and Delaware combined, and he's gaining on Connecticut in a one on one, which has 4,845 square miles of land area.

Buehler445 10-13-2011 11:46 AM

Holy Crap. That is a bunch.

I own the lot my house is on and 25% share of 160 acres. I'm buying the other 75%.

seclark 10-13-2011 11:48 AM

i own a 30 acre patch of timber that's pretty much surrounded by corn and bean fields. i love hunting.

house is up next to the road w/11 acres of yard. i hate mowing.
sec

Sofa King 10-13-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 7991671)
I'd rather be land-rich than cash-poor...

Well no shit. LMAO

I'd rather have sex with 3 hot blondes than get my nuts smashed with a hammer.

gblowfish 10-13-2011 12:03 PM

I have a front and back yard and a Craftsman mower. Does that count?

Deberg_1990 10-13-2011 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 7991750)
So this dude privately owns more land than Rhode Island and Delaware combined, and he's gaining on Connecticut in a one on one, which has 4,845 square miles of land area.

Wow, thats incredible.

MOhillbilly 10-13-2011 12:14 PM

Yes.