ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News So who wants to fly to Mars... one way? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268709)

BigCatDaddy 01-10-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 9303308)
I would imagine that if they are setting up a colony they would only want people who would be in their peak childbearing years. They would also want colonist that would live more than a couple decades. Imagine what kind of story the first children born on another planet would bring. I would think a moon colony would be more feasible due to proximity and economical considerations.

Milkmans out!

Chief Roundup 01-10-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9303273)
It seems like the first step would be to send some setup that automatically starts growing vegetation. You do that, then you wait a couple of crop seasons, and then send the people.

I don't know of any "genesis" type of self contained object for something like that. I was assuming more along the lines of greenhouses which would require people on site to construct all types of buildings as well. Thinking they better like MREs and vitamin supplements.

Chief Roundup 01-10-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

I would imagine that if they are setting up a colony they would only want people who would be in their peak childbearing years. They would also want colonist that would live more than a couple decades. Imagine what kind of story the first children born on another planet would bring. I would think a moon colony would be more feasible due to proximity and economical considerations.

Yes you would think they would be interested in married couples that were both scientists or at least highly educated. They would also need Dr and psychologist and so on. The list of the first people to go would be distinguished list for sure.

Valiant 01-10-2013 02:26 PM

If they set up more then enough tools to help colonize it. Which would take forever and streamed me all sorts of entertainment. Sure.

But if the can set up a colony. They can set up a launch pad/air strip to get off.

The first colonists should write roanoke on a rock to **** with the newcomers.

cyborgtable 01-10-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

The moon however doesn't lend itself to terraforming like Mars does, nor does it offer the potential of discovering alien life either live or long dead

keg in kc 01-10-2013 02:57 PM

So somebody watched Defying Gravity on ABC a few years ago.

ct 01-10-2013 02:57 PM

Actually I think this is a pretty brilliant idea. But I will not be going. Not leavin my family and not takin them on this trip. Maybe we'll try the road trip to wallyworld instead.

Prelaunch several supply pods before the 1st group of colonists arrive, so they can get to work immediately. Kinda like some pre-fab buildings to construct with solar/wind heaters and generators, tons of tools, greenhouse supplies with soil, h2o, seeds. Might work...

EagleRob 01-10-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9303494)
So somebody watched Defying Gravity on ABC a few years ago.

It was a great six episodes (in the US and five more in Canada and GBR).

tooge 01-10-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9302734)
I'd dvr it. Kind of ike survivor only with sexual content (nobody can hold out forever) and instead of being kicked off the island they just kill your dumb ass.

getting kicked off the ship would not be pleasant

tooge 01-10-2013 04:13 PM

I'd create the ship in orbit here first, with a greenhouse that can grow food. Once it had been shown to be capible of growing enough food for 10 people on a sustainable basis, then I'd send it off toward mars. Then, when you get there, you have a greenhouse that can operate in Mars orbit, or it can be sent down to the surface. For that matter, food could be grown and sent to the surface for a year or two until the colonists on the planet are able to be self sustained.

Planetman 01-10-2013 04:14 PM

Finally! A show to send your ex wives on!

whoman69 01-10-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9303313)
Milkmans out!

Me too. Also the fact their diet would probably be mostly vegetarian would limit who would want to go as well.

whoman69 01-10-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyborgtable (Post 9303421)
The moon however doesn't lend itself to terraforming like Mars does, nor does it offer the potential of discovering alien life either live or long dead

I don't think they would have the chance to do much exploring to find those long dead Martians. They would probably never leave their habitat. Leave it to the robots.

I would think in both instances Martian soil and moon soil would be insufficient to grow crops, even at the right temperatures.

Hog's Gone Fishin 01-10-2013 04:22 PM

You would think they'd want farmers there right off the bat. If they will just establish a few sows I could supply the semen.

Which has me thinkin maybe they should send a female gorilla and we could send 3 idiots along and before you know it we would have established a planet of the apes.

WV 01-10-2013 04:32 PM

Send Congress...we win if it works or doesn't!