ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Tarell Brown fired his agent for a really good reason. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274813)

DaneMcCloud 07-26-2013 10:55 PM

The agent screwed himself as well.

Agents are allowed a maximum of 3% of their player's earnings, but those earning must be paid before an agent receives his portion.

So this guy screwed himself for as much as $60k.

Miles 07-26-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9837435)
No offense but it's clear that you aren't used to dealing with "talent".

People who earn a living from their "talent" hire others to maintain their finances, make deals in their best interest and inform them, daily if necessary, of their contractual obligations.

Doing so allows them to focus on their job, whether it's as a sports, music or movie star.

From what's been released publicly to date, it appears that the agent failed his client.

That is a really good point. It would seem that in the general business context reminding him about the provision would be good client service but in the context of an agent representing a player/talent there is an expectation of that.

GloryDayz 07-26-2013 11:00 PM

Welp, he can always deliver pizzas to make-up the difference...

DaneMcCloud 07-26-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 9837465)
Welp, he can always deliver pizzas to make-up the difference...

LMAO

RINGLEADER 07-27-2013 02:09 AM

Simon Bar Sinister

WhiteWhale 07-27-2013 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9835728)
I think you have to take responsibility for yourself.

That's not exactly fine print in terms of the contract wording.

Yes the agent should be fired IMO, but I don't feel sorry for the guy as it's his own responsibility to know the basic framework of his contract.

What's your familiarity with the structure of NFL contracts and their negotiations?

I mean I'm assuming you're not just speaking irresponsibly of things you know nothing about. What NFL contracts have you looked over? You seem to have some knowledge about what is and what isn't clearly stated to the player.

I mean for all I know these contracts are 27 pages and very confusing for the average person. I have no idea at all what an NFL contract looks like.

LoneWolf 07-27-2013 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9837435)
No offense but it's clear that you aren't used to dealing with "talent".

People who earn a living from their "talent" hire others to maintain their finances, make deals in their best interest and inform them, daily if necessary, of their contractual obligations.

Doing so allows them to focus on their job, whether it's as a sports, music or movie star.

From what's been released publicly to date, it appears that the agent failed his client.

I respectfully disagree. There are quite a number of people besides sports figures and entertainers who earn a living from their "talent". I certainly do and I'm sure you do to. I have an employment contract that I have signed and it states all of the benefits I'm entitled to as well as my bonus structure. Before I signed it, I had my personal lawyer read it over just to make sure that I understood all of the language in it.

My lawyer doesn't have to contact me daily to let me know what is in my contract and I'm able to focus on my job while still worrying about all the mundane details of my day to day life including taking care of my own finances.

The problem is that these players are used to being coddled and have never had to take responsibility for the details in their day to day lives. They just assume that somebody is taking care of the stuff they are either not interested in worrying about or not smart enough to understand. Many of the retired players who have seen their fortunes reduced to nothing because they didn't take the time to understand what was happening with their money will tell you that they wish they would have taken a more active interest into their contracts and finances.

BlackHelicopters 07-27-2013 07:12 AM

Wonder if he wants he agent to wipe his ass. When discussing money, it helps to be the smartest guy in the room. Brown ****ed up. He trusted the wrong people.

chiefzilla1501 07-27-2013 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9837618)
Wonder if he wants he agent to wipe his ass. When discussing money, it helps to be the smartest guy in the room. Brown ****ed up. He trusted the wrong people.

Wrong people? He hired a respected agent from a reputable sports marketing firm. It's not like he hired an agent he met at Sears.

And yes, when you have a 1-time clause worth $2M, the agent should know about it and push on it. Instead, the agent lost out on commission for that $2M and I'm sure it's going to hurt his ability to attract future clients. His agent, by a mile, is the idiot here.

BlackHelicopters 07-27-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9837624)
Wrong people? He hired a respected agent from a reputable sports marketing firm. It's not like he hired an agent he met at Sears.

And yes, when you have a 1-time clause worth $2M, the agent should know about it and push on it. Instead, the agent lost out on commission for that $2M and I'm sure it's going to hurt his ability to attract future clients. His agent, by a mile, is the idiot here.

Trust but verify.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 07-27-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 9837612)
I respectfully disagree. There are quite a number of people besides sports figures and entertainers who earn a living from their "talent". I certainly do and I'm sure you do to. I have an employment contract that I have signed and it states all of the benefits I'm entitled to as well as my bonus structure. Before I signed it, I had my personal lawyer read it over just to make sure that I understood all of the language in it.

My lawyer doesn't have to contact me daily to let me know what is in my contract and I'm able to focus on my job while still worrying about all the mundane details of my day to day life including taking care of my own finances.

The problem is that these players are used to being coddled and have never had to take responsibility for the details in their day to day lives. They just assume that somebody is taking care of the stuff they are either not interested in worrying about or not smart enough to understand. Many of the retired players who have seen their fortunes reduced to nothing because they didn't take the time to understand what was happening with their money will tell you that they wish they would have taken a more active interest into their contracts and finances.

We get it. You hate young, rich men.

LoneWolf 07-27-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy Was Offsides (Post 9837632)
We get it. You hate young, rich men.

Not at all. I despise people that don't take an active interest in the issues that effect their lives and then try to blame others when things go bad.

BlackHelicopters 07-27-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 9837652)
Not at all. I despise people that don't take an active interest in the issues that effect their lives and then try to blame others when things go bad.

Couldn't agree more. It's always someone else's fault isn't it................

-King- 07-27-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 9837652)

I really don't think you understand what an agents/managers job is and why they are hired.

If the players have to take an active interest in their contracts then there would be no point in hiring agents. But the players don't have the time for that and don't have the knowledge necessary to do that. Its the agents job to interpret the contract to them and make sure they know what's going on at all times regarding clauses.
Posted via Mobile Device

BlackHelicopters 07-27-2013 08:32 AM

[QUOTE=-King-;9837680]I really don't think you understand what an agents/managers job is and why they are hired.

If the players have to take an active interest in their contracts then there would be no point in hiring agents. But the players don't have the time for that and don't have the knowledge necessary to do that. Its the agents job to interpret the contract to them and make sure they know what's going on at all times regarding clauses.
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE

Wow! If it comes to gaining or losing 2 mil, I would hope to be knowledgeable