ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Tarell Brown fired his agent for a really good reason. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274813)

-King- 07-27-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9837597)
What's your familiarity with the structure of NFL contracts and their negotiations?

I mean I'm assuming you're not just speaking irresponsibly of things you know nothing about. What NFL contracts have you looked over? You seem to have some knowledge about what is and what isn't clearly stated to the player.

I mean for all I know these contracts are 27 pages and very confusing for the average person. I have no idea at all what an NFL contract looks like.

Depending on the amount of bonuses and/or incentives involved the addendum can get up to 10 or 20 pages or more.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/5-components-of-an-NFL-contract-that-may-surprise-you.html
Posted via Mobile Device

LoneWolf 07-27-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9837680)
I really don't think you understand what an agents/managers job is and why they are hired.

If the players have to take an active interest in their contracts then there would be no point in hiring agents. But the players don't have the time for that and don't have the knowledge necessary to do that. Its the agents job to interpret the contract to them and make sure they know what's going on at all times regarding clauses.
Posted via Mobile Device

An agents job is to negotiate the contract, ensure that the contract is written in a way that protects the client, and explain the contract to the player. They are not glorified babysitters.

Agents are basically full-service lawyers for the player. If I'm arrested and I hire a lawyer that argues on my behalf and instead of going to jail I get paroled with the expectation that I will not break the law again or I will go to jail, do you think it is that lawyer's responsibility to call me every day to remind me not to break the law?

-King- 07-27-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 9837704)
An agents job is to negotiate the contract, ensure that the contract is written in a way that protects the client, and explain the contract to the player. They are not glorified babysitters.

Agents are basically full-service lawyers for the player. If I'm arrested and I hire a lawyer that argues on my behalf and instead of going to jail I get paroled with the expectation that I will not break the law again or I will go to jail, do you think it is that lawyer's responsibility to call me every day to remind me not to break the law?

Yes. Because calling everyday is what we've been saying the agent should have been doing. :facepalm:
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501 07-27-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 9837704)

If there was a mandatory parole hearing 3 years from today, I would expect my lawyer would at least call me to remind me.

LoneWolf 07-27-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9837714)
If there was a mandatory parole hearing 3 years from today, I would expect my lawyer would at least call me to remind me.

Why? The lawyer is not going to jail if you don't show up.

Typical dumbass response. Somebody better remind me of my responsibilities or I will blame them for my problems. :deevee:

chiefzilla1501 07-27-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 9837721)
Why? The lawyer is not going to jail if you don't show up.

Typical dumbass response. Somebody better remind me of my responsibilities or I will blame them for my problems. :deevee:

If a lawyer stops serving you because it no longer fits his best interests, then he is a shitty lawyer. This is a service industry. Especially in the agency world where your reputation means everything, I'd want to think this agent would be smart enough to not let something like this slip past him, especially since he's the most well-versed on the specifics of the contract.

And again, the agent screwed himself because he now doesn't earn commission on that $2M. All he had to do was pick up the phone. You want to blame the player (who is, from reports, actually doing his own workouts) but not the agent who only had to pick up the phone and call.

Bugeater 07-27-2013 09:04 AM

How the hell is Monty Beisel beating the SS Minnow?

Pasta Little Brioni 07-27-2013 09:09 AM

I am suuuuuuuuure he was never told about the clause.

Chief Roundup 07-27-2013 09:18 AM

I would imagine his agent should have told him about the contract more thoroughly.
I also would imagine that he will be told he should have read it before he signed the contract.

BlackHelicopters 07-27-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9837774)
I would imagine his agent should have told him about the contract more thoroughly.
I also would imagine that he will be told he should have read it before he signed the contract.

Yep

Pasta Little Brioni 07-27-2013 09:25 AM

Anyone who doesn't fully read a contract before signing is a complete dumbass.

rabblerouser 07-27-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9835595)
I'm trying to imagine being Tarell Brown, checking his twitter site.

(Scroll, scroll)

Kaepernick wore a Dolphins hat? Dumba**.

(Scroll, scroll)

Looks like Harbaugh's at the grocery store.

(Scroll, scroll)

Terrell Owens should just give up. No one's going to sign him.

(Scroll, scroll)

Hey, it's about me. Tarell Brown loses two mill - wait, what? WHAT?!?!?! G** D*** M*****F****** WHAT?!?! NO! NO! WHERE'S MY F*****G AGENT?!?! WHAT'S MY F****** AGENT'S NUMBER! WHAT'S AARON HERNANDEZ'S F****** NUMBER?

(TYPE TYPE TYPE TYPE TYPE)

@AARONHERNANDEZ GIVE ME A CALL. GIVE ME A CALL RIGHT NOW.

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!

Hernandez : 'If you can get me some more stamps and soups up in here, then I'll get it done...'

Rain Man 07-27-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9837786)

tell me the details of your latest cell phone contract or rental car contract. or the last update for Microsoft Office.

there are some contracts you sign just because you have no choice so you just have to close your eyes and not worry about the fine print. I hate that but its true..

Pasta Little Brioni 07-27-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9837848)
tell me the details of your latest cell phone contract or rental car contract. or the last update for Microsoft Office.

there are some contracts you sign just because you have no choice so you just have to close your eyes and not worry about the fine print. I hate that but its true..

Someone offers me a couple million and you can rest assured I don't treat it like a rico post and go TLDR :D

BlackHelicopters 07-27-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9837786)

Yep