ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Archives (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Chiefs 1st Round Draft History (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=7405)

nmt1 09-07-2000 09:11 AM

There was a post last night about our draft history that got me thinking...So I did some homework and here is what our recent 1st rounders look like...Overall, it is much better than I thought, especially when you look at the remaining 1st rounders that went after our picks...The only real bad blunders was the obvious in '83 with Blackledge over Marino and Kelly and in '85 take Ethan Horton 15th while Jerry Rice went right behind him at 16.

'00-Sly Morris
'99-John Tait
'98-Victor Riley
'97-Tony Gonzalez
'96-Jerome Woods
'95-Trezelle Jenkins (Peehew)
'94-Greg Hill
'93-No Pick
'92-Dale Carter
'91-Harvey Williams(Yuk)
'90-Percy Snow(Ouch)
'89-Our Man #58
'88-Neil Smith
'87-Paul Palmer
'86-Brian Jozwiak(What the hell?)
'85-Ethan Horton
'84-Bill Mass and John Alt
'83-Todd Blackledge(Damn it,Damn it SOB)

As I head off into dreamland and think about the Marino to Rice combination that could have been....<BR>

kcmax 09-07-2000 09:16 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR> '90-Percy Snow(Ouch) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't tell if that's an "ouch" he really sucked, or "ouch" bad luck. But I have to reassure you that IMHO it is defintately the latter. Percy impressed everywhere he went from H.S. through Chiefs' T.C. Then one fateful corner on a G.D. moped and its all over.

He was not a bad pick, allowing mopeds in T.C. was a horrible decision.l<BR>

broncosrule 09-07-2000 09:19 AM

The last five picks, assuming Morris continues to progress, have been good. I still wonder why we spend so many first rounders on guys who don't touch the ball.

Mosbonian 09-07-2000 09:24 AM

Anyone notice that 6 of those 17 are Linemen.

A full 35% of our last 17 years draft have been linemen.

3 of the 17 are RB's...this from a team that prides itself on running the football.

Boise_Chief 09-07-2000 09:25 AM

jI80

I almost started crying when you mentioned Marino to Rice. You throw in a Joe Delaney (God rest his soul), and that would have been one hell of a FB team in the mid 80's.

badger 09-07-2000 09:25 AM

For all the CP bashers looks at the picks in 85-87. Much higher picks and can you name one thing they did for the chiefs. 83 what a classic. Todd Blackledge (hate even seeing him on TV) over Marino and Jim Kelly.

Percy Snow - Got injured (on a scooter?)never played the same.
Trezell was a complete bust. Although a very late first rounder.
Hill - did he ever get a chance. Looked good a couple games for Detroit before breaking his leg in several places.
Harvey Williams - At least started for the Raiders a few years.

DT - Ultimate Pro Bowl
Gonzales - Pro Bowl
Tait - Will be Pro Bowl
Woods - Will be Pro Bowl
Morris - To early to tell (But looks like has tools)
Dale Carter - Pro Bowl
Victor Riley - Late First Round - Solid Starter.

Lets go back to the pre Peterson days, and Todd Blackledge. I am sure Peterson if given the opportunity would take Vick over Brees.

Luzap 09-07-2000 09:31 AM

How did Noah Pick do. Funny, I don't remember him.

nmt1 09-07-2000 09:36 AM

Thoughts of Marino to Rice for the last 15 years is enough to make a grown man cry like a baby...That paired with our nasty D all through the 90's would have probably rang up 3 or 4 SB rings...