ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Got gas? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270935)

Fire Me Boy! 03-09-2013 10:59 AM

Got gas?

Not what you think. :)

At the end of the month, I'm having a guy come run a natural gas line from one side of my house (only thing NG in my house is the fireplace) up the outside, across the attic, and down an interior wall for a gas range.

I've cooked on gas before, but never owned... very, very excited to finally have a house with a gas cook top, but what are your experiences? I know the basics, like heat is immediate, less residual heat available, cook times are faster... but what else should I know?

In58men 03-09-2013 11:03 AM

Make sure you turn the knob all the way to the off position when done :-)

Came home to a house filled with gas before.

Frazod 03-09-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 9479537)
Make sure you turn knob all the way to the off position when done :-)

Came home to a house filled with gas before.

This.

For whatever reason, my wife can't smell the rotten egg smell of the natural gas additive. On several occasions I've come home to a house full of gas and an oblivious wife who didn't realize she was one lit cigarette away from blowing up the ****ing building. :doh!:

BlackHelicopters 03-09-2013 11:19 AM

Sorry. Thread title fooled me.

Frosty 03-09-2013 11:27 AM

Love cooking with gas. All of the benefits you mentioned are there and makes it so you hate cooking on electric when you have to cook elsewhere. The oven doesn't hold heat very well, though that could just be our (20 year old) stove. The stoves also tend to be simpler, making them more durable. Another thing, with ours, you can use the stovetop when the power is out by lighting the burner with a match.

KurtCobain 03-09-2013 11:30 AM

I have a gas stove and hate it. However, it does come in handy when I want to light a cigarette and I can't find a lighter.

CoMoChief 03-09-2013 11:31 AM

gas stoves are much better than elect

Bwana 03-09-2013 11:32 AM

I have a dual setup I bought last year, so I got the best of both worlds. Gas stove with electric over. I had one of those electric flat top stoves and what a useless pile of garbage that was. If would scratch easily and If you had to heat up a 5 gallon SS pot, good luck. It would take so long to heat up the 5 gallon pot that I needed a shave by the time it would boil. I think you are going to enjoy your new setup.

Stewie 03-09-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9479602)
I have a dual setup I bought last year, so I got the best of both worlds. Gas stove with electric over. I had one of those electric flat top stoves and what a useless pile of garbage that was. If would scratch easily and If you had to heat up a 5 gallon SS pot, good luck. It would take so long to heat up the 5 gallon pot that I needed a shave by the time it would boil. I think you are going to enjoy your new setup.

Dual fuel is the way to go. I recently bought a new stove and gas wasn't an option. To run a gas line to my kitchen would be a major PITA.

I bought the best coil burner stove I could find and have been very happy.

I've cooked on both electric and gas burners and there are ways to make both work well. As has been said before, know your equipment.

cdcox 03-09-2013 12:20 PM

So what stove are you getting?

Johnny Vegas 03-09-2013 12:24 PM

I would love to have a gas stove. I just bought new pots and pans but I can't use them on a gas stove. I should've thought of that before I bought these pots and pans.

Stewie 03-09-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas (Post 9479754)
I would love to have a gas stove. I just bought new pots and pans but I can't use them on a gas stove. I should've thought of that before I bought these pots and pans.

What did you buy that can't be used on a gas stove? An induction stove top limits what materials can be used, but I've never heard of something that can't be used on a gas burner.

Johnny Vegas 03-09-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 9479760)
What did you buy that can't be used on a gas stove? An induction stove top limits what materials can be used, but I've never heard of something that can't be used on a gas burner.

Anolon advanced. Lady at the checkout counter warned me not to use them on a gas stove or a glass top.

Phobia 03-09-2013 12:43 PM

You're spending a good chunk to get that gas run. I'm glad it's not me. Gonna take half a day at least.

A Salt Weapon 03-09-2013 12:46 PM

Make sure to get a convection oven option. Best invention to a gas range. Really the only drawback to gas ovens used to be that because it is real heat, the temperature is inconsistent throughout the oven. Convection has removed that.

Also stay away from the cheaper commercial ranges. Either get a residential range or spend the coin to get a real commercial brand, Viking, Wolf, Etc.

The bluestars, dcs, fisher and paykals are complete garbage.
Posted via Mobile Device